Resource RU Viability Rankings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Well, QJ, as mentioned before a +2 Stone Edge is easily taking out braviary,

+2 252 Atk Virizion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Braviary: 430-508 (106.4 - 125.7%)

which also means that a Stone Edge on the switch-in followed up by another can take out Braviary. The same goes for a lesser extent to Close Combat,

+2 252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Braviary: 387-456 (95.7 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

which is definitely killing with any prior damage or with Stealth Rock up.

So when you call Braviary a 'Virizion counter', you're saying it can take on Virizion provided it doesn't have to switch in and Virizion didn't use Swords Dance, or maybe switching into a Leaf Blade with no Stealth Rock up, which is awfully unimpressive for a 'counter'.

However, I'd like to say that SubBU Braviary is a lowkey threat once again and it might deserve a rise. It's really capable of doing a lot of work and requires increasingly obscure counters. (M-lix vs. Braviary is interesting but you ultimately need something in the back ready to take Braviary on or you may get 6-0'd as the last 'mon or if it predicts Toxic well enough).

I can get behind the Braviary nom. However, it's the Choiced sets that really shine to me. What switches in on Choice Band Brave Bird? Mega Steelix, which is promptly put into range of the OHKO if it dares switch into the All-American eagle again. Not much else that isn't smacked by BB or a coverage move. Also, as Tehy mentioned, SubBU is definitely underrated, and a great set.

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yea I agree with Braviary nom not only for sub bu but also for choice scarf set is p nice rn as well. Hazard removal is easier now more then ever so it can u turn around p freely threatening to revenge kill which it does well atm. Also noteworthy is Defog blocker lol b+ seems like a fair nom

What you've done with Qwilfish and Granbull is pretty much trying to compare an apple a a tomato. Yeah, you can find one or two similarities, but ultimately they're not the same thing and don't realistically compete with a team slot. Qwilfish isn't even a fighting check, because some of the best fightings are packing coverage to hit you. When you factor in coverage, you really only check Sawk and lesser used fightings like Hitmonlee. Granbull is a much more viable fighting check since it's very rare for Fightings to pack poison or steel support (And no, Bullet Punch Medicham doesn't count, it's bad).
to B+

Braviary has gotten better in the RU metagame lately.

It has really good coverage, making it very hard to switch into combined with it's good Attack stat, and can fulfill multiple roles, such as a bulky attacker, a revenge killer, a wallbreaker, and a sweeper, most of which can be done all in a single set. It's ability also gives the middle finger to most common hazard removers and Granbull, which has also been getting better lately. Not to mention, Durant is now gone, which means one less thing harming Braviary's viability.

Granted, Braviary isn't perfect. Most physical walls can shut it down, but almost all of them don't enjoy switching in on a Superpower. Its Speed is subpar, but RU is filled to the brim with slow mons and Braviary is faster than most of them. Stealth Rock also gives it trouble. But I think that Braviary's upsides outweigh it's downsides just enough for a B+ ranking.
I don't have that much against this nom except your reasoning, which is really kind of poor. Specifically, the edited out part of the ability to check Virizion. After rocks you're screwed over by Stone Edge or Close Combat (Braviary doesn't resist Fighting), and if it sets up SD you're done. Also, when you talk about "common hazard removers", you seem to forget that the next-best remover besides Flygon is Blastoise, which can burn you with scald, spin without activating defiant, and soak up hits.

I don't think this nom is too far-fetched, you just need to work on your reasoning.

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
Gonna bring this up again and this time around I have replays.
Gonna go with a strange nom of Pinsir to C+/B-. Coverage, power, and two great abilities allow Pinsir to be very threatening; however, its middling speed lets it down, as does its HP and Special defense, which undermines its nice physical bulk. Also, it does have a crappy typing. Definitely worth C+/B-, though.
First of all with all the malamar hype as of late cause of durant gone lets get some pinsir hype going alongside it. X-Scissor + EdgeQuake coverage is actually fantastic and SD is just the icing on the cake. Pinsir's speed tier isn't the best but it's enough to get past base 80s and lower which is alright (outspeeding stuff like venusaur and life orb medicham). Thing is pinsir's bulk isn't too bad either and getting an SD off is pretty deadly if you can do it. It also has nice abilities with mold breaker and moxie allowing it to either stop death fodder from being sent out or get off the infamous mold breaker EQ as well as break through unaware and solid rock. Here are a couple of calcs to show off what pinsir can do after a single sd.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 265-312 (74.8 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir X-Scissor vs. 120 HP / 136+ Def Alomomola: 308-364 (61.4 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 265-313 (67.2 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rhyperior: 442-520 (102 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 351-413 (105 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Here are a couple of replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-369757472 Pinsir hit something hard everytime it came out but could never get off an SD
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-369754656 pinsir takes out a mola when his rotom cut is at -2 and I get off a pretty free SD
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-369759235 pinsir could weaken things since he didn't want his venusaur taking a lot

Special thanks to Based Honker for getting replays

I was too busy to make a Pinsir team

But adding to what Honker said, there is very little that can stomach Pinsir's attacks at +2. Versus faster teams, the need to set up is eliminated, and just throwing out attacks becomes a great way of wearing down the opponent. Definitely B- worthy.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I would have to say that it doesn't deserve B- but more of C+. First of all its speed tier and weakness to Flying moves with can be found on Fletchinder and Braviary (who runs scarf sometimes) as well on Grass-types who have a hard time with Virizion via HP Flying (or Aerial Ace) not to mention it takes quite a bit of support to actually get working since you should have Flying-types, Fire-types, Stealth Rocks out of the way to effectively sweep. I just don't see it on the same level as Garbodor and Mawile which are justifiable on a numerous amount of teams as of late.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
lol, B-? i think that's extremely optimistic of you, especially since it struggles versus offense so much. It's now where near as splashable as garb or mawile, can't support a team like pilo or peli, and it can't pressure balance and offense like vivillon. it's pretty slow (medicham speed, which is considered slow), isn't as strong as it, and doesn't even have priority if you want to hit fletch with stone edge or garb with eq while retaining your stab and sd. tbh, i wouldn't even rank it.

Honestly Pinsir's only niche here from what you have described is countering Malamar. Though i dont see that as a B- or even C+ level. Its too weak to major pokemon like tyrantrum, fletch, practically every flying type and fire type that outspeeds pinsir, and much more. Its rocks weakness doesnt help it either, it functions as a lackluster glass cannon in ru as its great attack stat cant be complemented with its speed tier that gets outspeed by everything that threatens pinsir. Its just not a pokemon i would rank for a suitable rank when its just outclassed and not viable at all.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Pinsir is in a weird spot because I guess there are teams weak to it but I really don't see it as being worthy of C+. It's a niche pick, but I think there's better niche picks. Pinsir offers next to no defensive synergy, is easily forced out, struggles to switch in, and is pretty weak unboosted. Outside of checking Malamar, I just don't think it has that much use, and I think if we're going to rank it, C- is as high as I'd be okay with.

Also Mold Breaker is telegraphed so it can't even lure stuff.

Also, I think we should drop Poliwrath to B-. The meta is increasingly unkind to Poliwrath and I think it's very difficult to fit in on a team, and is often a much worse pick than a better bulky water (and by that I usually mean Alomomola). Virizion and Venusaur are dominant forces in the metagame, which has also made the already somewhat rare offensive waters (Samurott and Kabutops) that Poliwrath walled much rarer. It still continues to counter Sneasel and check Absol, but I don't think that countering Sneasel actually stops Sneasel from doing what it does versus balance, and Absol is pretty rare and can carry Play Rough. I just don't think this is quite on par with other B rank defensive mons at the moment.

Last edited:
Because nothing I say is safe for the public to see, I'll try to clarify what I said.

LDM is right, yes. Pinsir's main niche is checking the increasingly popular Malamar, but it can actually put in work against certain team archetypes outside of checking Malamar, which is why, after looking at everyone's posts, I think it is worthy of C/C-.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Removed amoonguss and quag, added honchkrow to new pkmn rank (no sprite cause on phone, fix that spirit / Molk imo). Don't post about honchkrow for at least a week, use the np thread.

for A+

Sneasel is invaluable for many balance and even semistall teams for its ability to check most of the dangerous offensive threats in the tier. It revenge kills Virizion, Flygon, Sigilyph, Venusaur, Colbur-less Meloetta, Hoopa, and Delphox all in 1 Pokemon. Any offensive team without Mawile will have many issues against Sneasel, while Sneasel still pressures bulkier teams with its Speed, Pursuit, and Knock Off. In addition to revenge killing so many Pokemon, it's also a potent offensive threat on its own with amazing dual STAB's and Knock Off which cripples most of Sneasel's switchins for later in the game. While Mega Steelix can avoid the 2HKO from all attacks, and avoids getting its item knocked off, LO Low Kick is still doing around 40% to the standard set.

Sneasel is definitely on the same level of Pokemon like Alomomola / Sigilyph in my eyes. Chances are in this meta, if you have a balance team, Sneasel will probably be a great choice for it because it handles so many otherwise annoying offensive threats while being a threat of its own.

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
for B

mawile fits really well on offensive-styled teams as a rocker that happens to help ease the matchup (with the help of intimidate) against scarf ttrum, lo physical honch, and lo sneasel, all three of which are believed to be really good offensive mons for the pure fact that they have tools against opposing offense that make them really hard to check on the whole. ttrum is deemed to be one of the best scarfers against opposing offense by which even standard rock resists can have trouble with dragon stab, honch being deemed as somewhat broken by certain people as of rn, and finally, sneasel because it functions as an offensive check by rk'ing all of viri, flygon, sigi, venu, melo, hoopa and delphox, as mentioned by DTC above. the use of mawile can provide role-compression by bringing about a rocker and a great check or even counter in cases to specific physical attackers. therefore, i believe that it should be ranked b for all the roles that it can fulfill against common threats as mentioned.

for A+: support

not gonna cover this much but just want to say that it's one of the best offensive checks to a lot of prominent stuff as mentioned earlier for the fact it can rk all of them and remove them as threats for the rest of the game. don't know why this isn't used now since it's also somewhat a check to the aforementioned honch whereby the role of +1 sucker in hugely in favour of sneasel without rocks and shard from sneasel has a 50% chance to ohko which basically guarantees the rk with a turn of lo recoil.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ok so its been basically a week since the drops happened, lets get the discussion going:

Unranked -> A+/S

Ok so I think this is blatantly obvious to any RU players but I will still explain. Honchrow has dominated the tier ever since it dropped thanks to its outstanding offenses coupled with its great Dark/Flying offensive typing and substantial coverage. It has the ability to go full physical, full special, or the being the most deadly when mixed and even has priority to deal with faster threats in Sucker Punch. Its ability in Moxie also helps it out tremendously as it can usually net at least one KO on the opposing team, and proceed to sweep later on due to the Attack boost coupled with Sucker Punch mindgames. I honestly don' think it has any full on counters, as its coverage allows it to 2HKO certain threats depending on which move it decides to run. The only real downside to it is that it has an SR weakness and its kinda slow for an offensive mon. It also tends to KO itself quite often if it decides to run Brave Bird. However, its pros outweigh its cons, and I can definitely see it being A+, if not maybe even S Rank at this point.

for B+

Registeel is definitely a solid mon on many different types of builds, particularly balance and semistall. Steel typing is very beneficial as it can resist a majority of relevant typing in this tier (Grass, ice, rock, etc.). Registeel acts as one of the few switches ins to 'mons like Venusaur and Exploud, while also retaining the ability to check threatening pokemon such as Tyrantrum. Registeel can run fully special defensive and mixed spreads which make it harder to prepare for. Another benefit this 'mon possesses is maintaining a very nice defensive synergy with mons like alomomola and other bulky water types. It has a relatively decent offensive move in seismic toss allowing it to not be totally passive, as well as the ability to run moves like thunder wave which most defensive steel rockers (i.e. mega steelix, bronzong) do not possess. Grass and Ice resistances gives it a niche over mega steelix through being able to switch into mons like mega glalie and rotom-mow. In my opinion, Registeel is definitely as viable as mons like scrafty and jolteon in this tier.

tehy

Banned deucer.
I'd like to echo what Chakra said; Registeel is a really great component of my stall team, being able to check / take on a lot of tough stuff, firstly as Chakra mentioned Venusaur and Exploud, also crucially Abomasnow, as well as even Tyrantrum to an extent (only a secondary check, but in my opinion this tier necessitates at least sort of a primary check in a bulky ground regardless, so it's just a sick extra); also Hoopa, Sigilyph, and some Meloetta, while not being Pursuit (and Shadow Ball) weak like Bronzong is. It just covers so many holes, is generally bulky, and while it sadly tends to give up momentum to annoying stuff, it's a real boon to any team regardless. I used to feel it had sort of 'bleh' syndrome, but it's rose in my eyes because of... I don't know, metagame shifts maybe? It just feels a lot more usable than it used to. Maybe it's just that people are way more prepared for Mega Steelix, so other steels are becoming more worth using.

edit:

i do think that there's a lot of reasons that Registeel's competition has gotten worse, but somehow, it also seems better, and seemed better even before the Venusaur drop.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Registeel is A- worthy. Registeel teams tend to be some of the most consistent in the tier as it pairs really well with Pokemon like Alomomola while being a good rocker. It also soft checks over half of the tier, and it's a Steel-type in a tier where it's one of the only Steel-types, and the only Steel-type aside from Bronzong to resist Grass/Ice. Sure it's a bit passive but it still messes up a lot of Pokemon that try to switchin so it's not like it's just bait for any offensive Pokemon. Like, lets be real, Registeel is better than everything in B+ currently, and it's arguably way easier to fit on teams than some mons in A-.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Registeel: A- rank for sure. The Pokemon checks a lot of attackers in the tier, especially where Specially Defensive walls are lacking. It's also the only Steel-type not weak to Venusaur and Dark-type. It's ability to spread dual status and having a spammable move in Seismic Toss somewhat makes up for its passivity. Registeel also blanket checks a lot of threats and is pretty easy to put in a balance team, as Alomomola + Registeel cores are really good when paired with Pokemon that can take on Virizion.

Nominating Absol for B+ rank. Honchkrow being RU didn't help Absol in any way, as it's the preferred Dark-type breaker now. Nevertheless, even if Honchkrow gets the boot, Absol isn't doing that well in the metagame, especially now that Virizion is ever popular. Absol also can't break through Alomomola if 4 atks, and has a hard time setting up with SD as well. Moreover, lack of secondary STAB makes Absol be less scary, as Knock Off is weaker after a hit, and Absol has to rely on Sucker Punch / SD to do more damage to defensive Pokemon not weak to its coverage moves. Lastly, Sneasel gives Absol a tough competition, as the former has dual STAB and high Speed, which are more useful in the current meta.

Honchkrow: I think we should really wait for the council's decision before nominating it, as it has a high chance of being banned (I hope).

Honchkrow Unkranked ---> B+/B

Here are my reasons on this

~ Honchkrow has 125 Attack and with Sucker Punch can be very potent w/ Brave Bird if, its Jolly and Runs Scarf can be a very potent threat so if you ddo the math like 265 times 1.5 you get 398 Speed which is capable of destroying threats like Jolteon w/ Sucker Punch, Sneasel w/ Brave Bird also note that it can survive a unboosted Ice Shard.

~ Moxie is a great ability which can make Honchkrow a powerful sweeper but, their are still threats that can check Honchkrow such as, Aerodactyl, Scarfed Rotom-Mow, Head Smash Aggron (although Honchkrow can 2HKO it with Superpower), Granbull, and other Pokemon in the RU metagame.

Although, I don't think it can be banned because...

1. 100/52/52 bulk isnt that good.

2. 71 Speed can easily get it revenge killed if locked into an unfavourable move.

3. It's weak to common types such as Electric, Fairy, Ice, and Rock types

Overall, its a great pokemon which I think can fit in the B Rank.

Honchkrow Unkranked ---> B+/B

Here are my reasons on this

~ Honchkrow has 125 Attack and with Sucker Punch can be very potent w/ Brave Bird if, its Jolly and Runs Scarf can be a very potent threat so if you ddo the math like 265 times 1.5 you get 398 Speed which is capable of destroying threats like Jolteon w/ Sucker Punch, Sneasel w/ Brave Bird also note that it can survive a unboosted Ice Shard.

~ Moxie is a great ability which can make Honchkrow a powerful sweeper but, their are still threats that can check Honchkrow such as, Aerodactyl, Scarfed Rotom-Mow, Head Smash Aggron (although Honchkrow can 2HKO it with Superpower), Granbull, and other Pokemon in the RU metagame.

Although, I don't think it can be banned because...

1. 100/52/52 bulk isnt that good.

2. 71 Speed can easily get it revenge killed if locked into an unfavourable move.

3. It's weak to common types such as Electric, Fairy, Ice, and Rock types

Overall, its a great pokemon which I think can fit in the B Rank.
This is very clearly wrong for a wide variety of reasons. Firstly, you mention several things in your post that are simply gimmicky and borderline unviable, such as Choice Scarf Honchkrow being a significant set and mentioning Aggron as a Pokemon that can stop Honchkrow from sweeping, while in reality it's completely ripped apart by Superpower. Even then, Aggron isn't a particularly potent Pokemon in RU. Honchkrow isn't really being potentially quick banned for having bulk; rather, its incredible combination of Both sweeping and wallbreaking power as well as the huge amount of 50/50s it forces with sucker punch is why it's on the counsel's chopping block. Moving on.

Should Honchkrow be ranked, Somewhere in the A, A+, or S ranks would be much more appropriate for a Pokemon at not only has essentially no hard counters but also puts immense pressure on him foe side teams, which is something that other wallbreakers, such as Exploud, fail to do. Furthermore, moxie makes losing a 50/50 to Honchkrow much more costly.

For a brief synopses... Don't use choice scarf Honchkrow.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In my opinion, Registeel can definitely rise based on its owm merits cause of how unique and important mono steel typing is but registeel going up to A- is way too lenient. One cant just ignore the problems it has between needing wish support meaning isnt splashable in the slightest and doesnt possess the offensive power mons like mega steelix have to compensate, having to pick between thunder wave and toxic (although toxic is much much better) and if you decide to run both you are basically constraining yourself since you would have to fit another rock setter and in general is just really passive meaning only balance and below can give it the support it needs (below as in stall and semi-stall).

Registeel teams arent the most consiatwnt just because of it, it is because balance and semi-stall have the upper hand in this meta and when it is paired wuth mola it is mighty efficient. Is on par with some stuff in A- because some stuff in there should honestly just drop.

In the end, it walls really important mons and isnt as susceptible like bronzong to do so. Put it in B+ but not more than that honestly, in my opinion.

Also, I agree with sneasel to A+ and Mawile to B+

OK time for the counter argument. Absol isn't meta defining like Steelix, Tyrantrum or Snow (which personally I don't think it should be up there). Absol isn't the best Swords Dancer unfortunately due to its god awful base 60 defenses and that speed tier holds it back. The statement of it being the best all-out attacker is also debatable between things like Mega Snow and Sharpedo as well as its speed isn't exactly the best in the world. I can argue it is easy to fit onto teams and not have to build around it or even support it (bar having a fighting resist for incoming Mach Punches and just faster fighting types in general) for AoA but Swords Dance is a whole different story. Different roles? AoA w/ Pursuit and SD. Sure it has coverage moves to support its team mates in a lot of different ways but a lot of A+ pokemon have that to such as Flygon, Meloetta, and Slowking. I have to give it credit to being Versatile within its two movepools but it isn't like we have to prep every team to take on Absol specifically (I'm talking to you Tyrantrum) It has a lot of flaws and it isn't really "mitigated" by its coverage options because of mostly its speed, bulk and obvious super fighting weakness.
Feel free to counter this in any way you want EonX . BTW your a kewl dude :]
Oh yea about Mega Snow well, its banned and so is Sharpedo so, I would say that Absol is one of the best setup sweepers in RU only to be outpaced by RP Tyrantrum, SD Sneasel, and NP Houndoom, but out of those pokemon, Absol really stands out due to it having 130 Base Attack. Despite it having horrid Defenses and its 75 Speed, it can't take moves that are boosted like Sneasel's Icicle Crash, Tyrantrum's Head Smash, and Houndoom's Fire Blast both have slim chances of missing which could give Absol a chance to stop these menacing sweepers. Although, Sneasel after a SD boost can destroy Absol with Ice Shard thus making it capable of destroying Absol.

In conclusion, it can't be in S Rank nor A+ Rank so it can move up A Rank or stay in A-.

I hope this helps out with this old ass debate so...

Hopefully, I can get some counter-arguments

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
In my opinion, Registeel can definitely rise based on its owm merits cause of how unique and important mono steel typing is but registeel going up to A- is way too lenient. One cant just ignore the problems it has between needing wish support meaning isnt splashable in the slightest and doesnt possess the offensive power mons like mega steelix have to compensate, having to pick between thunder wave and toxic (although toxic is much much better) and if you decide to run both you are basically constraining yourself since you would have to fit another rock setter and in general is just really passive meaning only balance and below can give it the support it needs (below as in stall and semi-stall).

Registeel teams arent the most consiatwnt just because of it, it is because balance and semi-stall have the upper hand in this meta and when it is paired wuth mola it is mighty efficient. Is on par with some stuff in A- because some stuff in there should honestly just drop.

In the end, it walls really important mons and isnt as susceptible like bronzong to do so. Put it in B+ but not more than that honestly, in my opinion.

Also, I agree with sneasel to A+ and Mawile to B+
Hy,

I think Registeel should be A- so let me just disagree with some of your arguments.

First you said that Registeel needs Wish Support. I simply think that's untrue. Although Regi with Wish support from Alomomola is almost unbreakable, Regi can function perfectly well on its own. It's just so fat on the special side, combined with Lefties it literally take 5% from so many important special attackers. Even with a lack of offensive presence, none of them like taking a Toxic or T-wave (I don't see why you can't run both btw. All you need is Rocks/Seismic/Toxic/T-wave). I would say Seismic Toss is actually a boon, it does very respectable chip damage on stuff like Mega Steelix, and in a lot of matchups it certainly gives more damage out than it takes, including the SR chip. As for not splashable, again I have to disagree. It's one of the most splashable SR setters in the metagame. No other pokemon can give you a blanket check to so many Special attackers: Meloetta, Venusaur, Exploud, Diancie, etc while also setting rocks. It's comparable to say Heatran in OU, or Swampert in UU. There's very little to lose from running it on even offensive teams. In the 12 games I've played in RU seasonal so far, Registeel was on 7 or 8 of my teams, and it put consistent work in each and every battle, despite most of my teams being Balanced Offense and only one of them having Mola.

Also putting Mawile on the same rank as Registeel is just ridiculous. I like Mawile, but there's no way the two pokemon should be the same rank considering how many more pokemon Registeel checks and how much more consistent it is in general with its huge bulk. Mawile counters some important pokemon like Sneasel and Tyrantrum but it still faces a lot of competition from the likes of MegaLix and Diancie, and it provides the inherent teambuilding flaw of having a Steel-type that can't take Special attacks.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Registeel: This definitely needs to be B+ or A-. With a set of SR Toxic SToss and Protect, Registeel is perfectly capable of outlasting just about every special attacker in the tier that can't hit it for super effective damage, and even some that do. It's a Pokemon that has the raw physical bulk to generally check what it needs to on that side, although it can usually afford to cheat around 40 EVs to Defense simply to hit the SpDef jump point at 216 EVs. I say Protect in the last slot just so Registeel doesn't "need" Wish support to function and it is perhaps the most reliant Pokemon on Leftovers. With Wish support, Registeel can afford to think about running dual status, but I still prefer Protect if only to scout for dangerous coverage moves and get extra Leftovers recovery / Toxic damage. What sets it apart from Bronzong other than the lack of Pursuit weakness is Seismic Toss. This means that, regardless of the target (unless it's Ghost-type!) Registeel is dealing decent damage to it and threatening a 3HKO or 4HKO. This is key as there are quite a few Pokemon incapable of threatening Registeel with a 3HKO when factoring in Protect turns to stall for extra recovery. So there are quite a few instances where Registeel can simply click Seismic Toss and not really care about what comes in. As I like to say, "Registeel is doing one of three things: Throwing out a purple blob, scouting and stalling, or STossing everything in sight." Simple, but effective. Considering the amount of dangerous attackers it checks, I'd argue that Registeel is A- rank material, but it needs a boost to B+ at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)