Resource RU Sample Teams Thread 3.0

phantom

Banned deucer.
I'm not going to write a giant tl;dr, but a reiteration of this thread has been in demand for a while now, so here we are. This thread's purpose is to basically act as a repository of good teams for players who are new to RU/want to get better acquainted to the tier. Anyone's free to post a team here so long as you're familiar with the RU metagame. This thread will have a quality demand, meaning: if you post a bad team, I'll delete your post. I won't do this unless you make something really dumb like having Fletchinder as your only Fighting resist + 5 frail Pokemon or Togetic as your sole Ground resist with the rest of your team being Steelix/Rhyperior bait. When posting a team, you are required to post a pastebin and a one paragraph explanation of the function of the team, its strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Note: Good teams will be posted in the teamdex and possibly advertised on social media with proper credit.

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

The team is built around a double fight core formed by SD Gallade and DD Scrafty. Intimidate Scrafty is a really nice mon right now, as it can try to get a boost on some offensive choice scarf users and on weak walls like steelix, and it gives Scrafty a decent pivot role :) SD Gallade on the other hand is a powerhouse which can weaken with ease fighting checks like Aromatisse and Togetic, being able to take even a supereffective hit from them thanks to his decent natural bulk!

Bronzong and Qwilfish were added to cover the weakness the core had, while also being able to stack up entry hazards, which just increased the amount of pressure Scrafty and Gallade put on the opposite team, which was really high even without hazards on the field! Malamar was added to weaken even more fairy types, and it could weaken intimidate users which scares the initial core. Lastly Flygon was added as a revenge killer and as a pivot, and it gives me momentum with U-Turn, letting me bait fairy types so I can go on Bronzong/Qwil and stack some hazards!

Last edited by a moderator:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Been a long time since I've done one of these. Since I recently did an RMT for my favorite Diancie team, I'll share my other main Diancie team:

Venusaur (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 92 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Heal Bell

Alomomola (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

Flygon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Roost

Scrafty (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Drain Punch

Fletchinder (F)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 152 HP / 248 Atk / 76 Def / 28 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance

This team was designed around the defensive core of Diancie and Alomomola. Between these two, the team gains Stealth Rock, Heal Bell, and Wish support. Venusaur and Choice Band Scrafty were added as pivots into many types of attacks. In particular, Scrafty gives the team a reliable offensive pivot into Tyrantrum that can immediately threaten opposing teams. Flygon was added to provide the team with hazard control and an Electric check. It also provides me with a more offensive way to deal with Houndoom, especially those packing Iron Tail. Fletchinder was the final addition to the team. With Flygon giving hazard control and Scrafty breaking down plenty of defensive cores, Fletchinder fit like a charm to pressure offensive teams that could break through the team's defensive backbone. It's generally the only Pokemon I won't switch into attacks unless I predict a Grass- or Ground-type move.
As far as the sets go, I chose a bulkier Venusaur set to hang around longer and lessen pressure on Fletchinder to deal with Grass-types that Diancie and Alomomola don't like. EVs still outspeed Exploud for when it's weakened. Diancie and Alomomola are pretty standard fare. Instead of a lot of defensive EVs on Flygon, I chose max Speed to deal with Houndoom and quickly chip down Meloetta with U-turn without taking damage. It still generally handles what support Flygon is supposed to handle. Scrafty's EV spread is pretty standard for Choice Band, but I went with Intimidate Choice Band to have a strong pivot into most physical attackers. Iron Head > Poison Jab because Diancie exists. Fletchinder's EV spread is pretty consistent to the one on-site with the exception of the Speed creep for opposing Fletchinders, thus allowing me to stay in relatively confidently to go for the kill.
One of the biggest weaknesses for this team is, as is the case with many teams that lack strong neutral special STABs against it, Durant. Thankfully, it has a hard time coming in against anything. The max HP on Venusaur lets it win 1v1, especially if I haven't revealed Hidden Power Fire yet. Manectric can also be somewhat troublesome, but Diancie or Flygon can usually handle it depending on the Hidden Power type. Grass means Flygon wins and Ice means Diancie wins. The goal is to win with Fletchinder late-game, but thanks to the bulky nature of this team, you can outlast plenty of offensive threats if the opponent has too many responses to Fletchinder. With only one Pokemon lacking recovery of any kind (Diancie and it has Leftovers) it isn't very hard to keep most of the team members healthy. This also relieves a lot of pressure on Alomomola as it really only has to focus on keeping Diancie alive (Scrafty when possible) Venusaur and Flygon should be played as speed pivots first and defensive pivots second. Despite their HP investment, their Speed tier is what really sell their sets. Only expose them to neutral STABs when the situation absolutely calls for it. Scrafty is the team's offensive pivot. Seek out chances to switch into resisted or weak neutral physical hits that Intimidate lets it easily sponge. Fletchinder is really the only Pokemon you shouldn't switch into many attacks. Unless it's a resisted hit or predicted support move like Heal Bell or Will-O-Wisp, keep Fletchinder away from attacks. Remember Gale Wings can let it revenge kill many offensive threats, so don't be afraid to use it for that to spare the rest of the team damage it doesn't need to take.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-316377256 - battle against BrandonBeast that really showcases Fletchinder and Scrafty as an offensive core.

phantom

Banned deucer.
I gave this team to Kingler for grand slam finals where he finally won an RU playoffs game:

This is a pretty successful defensive team using, at the time, the under appreciated Registeel. Alo + Registeel has come full circle since XY and is good again largely because of Venusaur's presence. Knock Off on Alo makes it easier for the team to handle SubCM Meloetta and other such annoying anti-stall Pokemon. Registeel's use of double status allows it to take out Fletchinder, CM Slowking, Sigilyph, Abomasnow, and keep Mega Glalie in line, while subduing various entry hazard removers. Flygon provides this team with a secondary Fire check and offers hazard control and much-needed offensive presence. Dragon Claw takes out opposing Flygon, prevents Sigilyph from getting a free switch-in, and help deal with annoying Levitate users such as Rotom. Braviary is the team's win condition and exploits certain build's reliance on Alomomola + Diancie as opposed to Alomomola + Steelix, and can still cleave through certain Steelix builds with Registeel wearing it down with Seismic Toss. It also gives this team a better shot at beating annoying anti-stall Pokemon such as Jellicent and Taunt Weezing. The Speed EVs allow Braviary to outspeed Timid Abomasnow, Exploud, etc so I have more Pokemon to revenge kill certain wallbreakers with. Granbull is the team's cleric and one of the best Fighting resists in the tier. Roar is used on this Granbull so that this team can beat Malamar when played properly and disrupt random setup sweepers. Finally, Choice Scarf Drapion is the team's glue and does a lot, such as Pursuit trapping Hoopa, revenge killing various threats such as CM Virizion/Delphox, and absorbing Toxic Spikes. An Adamant nature is used since Drapion either misses out on certain Choice Scarf users already (Flygon, Delphox) or outspeeds them with an Adamant nature anyway (Medicham); the only Choice Scarf user that it would need a Jolly nature for is Sawk, which is not an issue at all for this team and extra power is nice anyhow for annoying things like Jellicent and doing more chip damage to Steelix. Running Speed creep is a good idea on some of these Pokemon though, but I'll keep how much I run to myself.

PS: Thunderbolt with around 24 SpA EVs over Thunder Wave on Registeel should be adjusted so that this team can more adequately take on opposing Braviary.

http://pastebin.com/7FFzxyWw

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

http://pastebin.com/0LH2UgrC
Here is a team built around the Abomasnow + Slowking core. Abomasnow helps to break down Grass- and Water-types so Slowking has an easier time sweeping with Calm Mind. Slowking can also act as a pivot to Fighting and Fire attacks directed at Abomasnow. Defensive Flygon is a nice blanket check to stuff like Drapion and a Ground immunity. Defog helps to remove Toxic Spikes for Slowking and Stealth Rock for Abomasnow. Specs Meloetta functions as the main wallbreaker that has a decent matchup against Fighting-types. Gives the team a nice little U-turn core with Flygon as well. Choice Scarf Emboar is a revenge killer that can deal with Virizion and Dark-types as well as be a sleep fodder due to Sleep Talk. Finally Diancie gives this team a dedicated Dark-type switch in, Stealth Rocker, special blanket check, and a Dragon immunity. You want to use Meloetta and Abomasnow early game to wear down the opposing teams walls to leave an oppurtunity for Slowking to sweep. Emboar should be preserved for revenge killing and Diancie should be preserved if Slowking gets effected by Toxic. The attack EVs on Abomasnow give it a 50% chance to OHKO offensive Flygon with Ice Shard.

Edit: updated Flygon spread since its outdated, mostly helps for Magneton

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs

http://hastebin.com/nenuseguca.md
lol see my rmt for a description ok i guess ill write one.

this is a pretty standard balance based around a unique escavalier set in swords dance 2 attacks. this set a variable set of advantages over banded and mono-sleeptalk sd escavalier which i cover in my rmt. diancie is the rocker for the team, cleric and overall the glue. sigi is the main fighting check and helps weaken steels for fletch and escav. sub fp wrath is a neat set which retains defensive qualities while not being a complete momentum drain. fletch is the lategame cleaner and spd flygon rounds out the team as a pivot, electric check, and defogger. speed evs on flygon are for +speed magneton and hoopa. fletch can run 80 spd to survive modest venu sludge bomb from full while dropping some def evs as banded escav really isn't an issue since poli is there but a) poli has no recovery and is offensive b) modest venu sucks

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor

Wasn't gonna post this until much later into seasonals but i already did myself the favor of being haxed out round 1 again so might as well, teams here are looking a little dry.
Choice band rhyperior. Uxie has really good deffensive synergy with it and is able to u-turn out in order to give it some free turns to nuke shit, knock off helps w the opposing psychics as well as removing registeel/mola's lefties and such. SD shuca drapion acts as a great lure to flygon making it so rhyperior can click eq w a little more impunity, gives us something to throw into venuaur as well. Specs jolteon i feel would be the offense check/revenge killer that benefits the most from the support that cb rhyp and drapion can provide, with both being able to remove the aforementioned flygon as well as other ground waters like seismitoad in drapion's case, which is a huge help. Team was looking weak to glalie/sneasel and such and i don't play w/o hazard removal so i added blastoise, standard set 'n spread. Wasn't feeling my matchup vs bulky waters/lo venusaur and shit like hitmonlee or scrafty clicking kick w impunity whenever they feel like it so i added deffensive venusaur, it pairs nicely with blastoise and it gives us a little more backbone as this team is by no means hyper offense

Crybaby Waltz (Rhyperior) @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Mischief Pretend (Uxie) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psyshock
- Knock Off

Aqua Terrarium (Drapion) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Aqua Tail

Tears of the Sea (Blastoise) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Refresh
- Toxic

Snow of Warmth (Jolteon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heavenly Wind (Venusaur) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Its been pretty huge time using this team so thought to post this and share with everyone.The team is simple to use.This team is pretty standard so I can't really say this is my team or someone else's.Set up hazards with qwil+uxie and then set up and kill stuff, its a good team to start on the ladder and ending games quickly. Uxie and Qwilfish are used as hazard setters and also works as paralyzing the target. Virizion + Houndoom handles almost every core of the metagame. Escavalier is the powertank which gets powerful iron head and megahorn STAB. Flygon to finish the game smoothly with its STAB moves too. Here, uxie with grass knot is good option since it hits seismitoad[Virizion is there but a sludge bomb/wave might ruin so using grass knot is a good option and is also a good move to use on slowking].Rest of the sets are standard

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Zen Headbutt

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

Escavalier @ Choice Band
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Drill Run

Uxie @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 112 Def / 252 SpA / 144 SpD
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Thunder Wave

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Scald
- Thunder Wave

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog

absol.gif emboar.gif flygon.gif golbat-f.gif slowking.gif uxie.gif
I wanted to give Absol a shot in this tier because of Dark typing being so offensive so I decided to make a team around it. I would say this team has a passive and aggressive feel to it with having three fat mons plus the three killers. Uxie used for hazards, cleric, and speed control. Slowking takes hits that Flygon/Golbat wouldn't be able to such as Mega-Glalie. Golbat's uses are for stall breaking. Flygon has it's purpose in this team for hazard removal. Emboar can come in on Ghost types that threaten this team, also having the ability to break walls. Absol lastly is used a lure to things that would wall it if it were a normal SD Absol.

Absol (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Tail
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Uxie @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch
- Flare Blitz

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Golbat (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- U-turn

Slowking @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Toxic
- Psyshock

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

The team relies on a defensive backbone of Registeel + Garbodor + Poliwrath to weaken the team down so Meloetta or Virizion may sweep later on. Garbodor can set up Spikes + weaken Flygon with a Toxic as Poliwrath can shuffle around the opponents team forcing them to take extra damage. Mega Banette Can spin block Blastoise or Hitmontop and remove Leftovers off certain Pokemon like Registeel so my other teammates have an easier time winning. It also checks Slowking, Sigilyph, and Hoopa which would otherwise be troublesome. Finally Virizion is another way to punish bulky water, rock, and ground types.

http://pastebin.com/2L0JsnNU

edit: no more coba berry

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Since everyone is posting their RMTs, guess I can as well. But I actually updated it to reflect actual metagame (Thank God Dugtrio got banned! Love you all!):

Rotom @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Substitute

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Delphox @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Fire Blast

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 188 SpD / 72 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Refresh
- Scald
- Toxic

Drapion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Brick Break
Basically my RMT but with some changes to reflect the beauty that is not having Dugtrio around and to attempt to fix the team weaknesses like the glaring Magneton weakness and with Dugtrio gone, that has to get covered. The Rotom + Toxic Spikes motif stays, Weezing makes pulling off the toxic spikes "gimmick" much more easier against Pokemon like Flygon which it pressures by itself and Rotom is such a great balance breaker and takes advantage of Blastoise. The main change from the RMT itself is running Steelix over Diancie. Spdef Steelix is an underrated and really reliable SR user especially on a metagame where Magneton is at its best, being one of the best responses to it.

NOW I CAN RUN CALM MIND + 3 ATTACKS DELPHOX AS INTENDED! Rotom + Delphox share many similar checks and Toxic Spikes makes pressuring them so much easier. CM + 3 attacks delphox is power man. Spdef Blastoise gives me an actual mega camerupt switch-in and is Blastoise so it spins well. Scarf Drapion here to trap psychic types, revenge kill virizion. It has Brick Break for Scrafty cause fuck that thing, and that slot is a huge filler anyways, and because I got earthquake or aqua tail targets covered and Im already running toxic spikes on weezing so... yeah. You arent pressing that ever if you never see a scrafty but is just a nice trick to have.

Hope you have fun with it!

Hey, this is a team I made called Combinated Fury. It's based around a Scyther and Magneton volturn core.
Balanced volturn is really effective and fun to use in the current meta, it's about hitting the enemy and grabbing momentum while still having the ability to wall foes and take hits.
Putting more speed on flygon and or changing Scyther to Choice Scarf is possible. Running Trick Room instead of Heal Bell is a possiblity aswell.
I have had great succes with this team, friends I shared it with also say its a fun and strong squad.
Hope I have informed you enough, enjoy!

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 108 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 232 HP / 4 Atk / 20 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Diamond Storm

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Scooter (Scyther) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)