SM RU RU Balanced Team (EDITED)

RU Balanced Team (EDITED)​

I have recently gotten sick of playing OU, and decided to start dabbling in lower tiers such as UU and RU, and I consider this to be my first solid RU team. For the most part, the team has pretty good synergy, namely with the Zoroark-Toxicroak team that I've got going. It does have its kinks, however, which I will elaborate a bit more in each mon's description.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Roost
The decision between having Magic Bounce or Defog on Xatu is one I'm still not sure on, however given the set and aim of this Xatu, Magic Bounce seems to work better as it doesn't take up the move slot to protect the team from hazards the way Defog does. Xatu's main purposes are to protect the team from hazards and status with magic bounce, take resisted hits, and late game set up with calm mind. U-turn allows me to hit super-effectively against dark types that come in while keeping up momentum. However I am considering swapping it with a special move, such as Signal Beam for the same coverage or Air Slash for the STAB and flinch chance, because having psychic as the only move affected by calm mind during late game set ups has proven to be a problem once or twice when the opponent still had a dark type or a type that resisted psychic. Removing u-turn would prevent me from maintaining momentum and dealing chip damage, but having another special move to take advantage of calm mind may better allow Xatu to perform it's role as late game set up. Pointers would be appreciated.

Zoroark @ Choice Specs
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Trick
- Sludge Bomb
Zoroak is always posed as Toxicroak, which has a 4x weakness to psychic. When I first switch in Zoroark, I generally use sludge bomb so between that move and the Illusion, people will think I sent in a special Toxicroak, then later use it to bait our a psychic attack and get a free hit. Max Sp. Att. and choice specs allows for Zoroark to hit hella hard, either OHKOing or putting heavy dents into unsuspecting mons, and trick allows me to shut down walls that might come in if its game is realized, swapping the choice item for whatever item the opponent has. Originally, I ran Focus Blast over flamethrower, but then decided that Zoroark and the actual Toxicroak's sets were too similar, and swapped it for Flamethrower instead. It's frailty is a problem, so using it relies mostly on careful switching, predictions, and out speeding the opponent's mons. thus, Zoroark is kind of my wild card, both for me and the opponent. I take a lot of gambles and risks with Zoroark, which makes the game fun for me, and incredibly rewarding for the team overall when those risks pay off.

Luxray @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Ice Fang
- Facade
- Volt Switch
Luxray serves as a physical wall breaker, and has broken through countless special walls in its time of use. Wild charge's stab plus the Guts boost does a solid chunk to any mon that isn't immune, and a decent sized chunk even to mons that resist electric such as dragon. Ice fang serves as coverage for ground types and dragon types, and is a general safe bet if I think that my opponent will switch in a mon that resists or is immune to electric. Facade is a nice hitting move when combined with guts, and volt switch allows me to maintain momentum. Furthermore, either before or after the flame orb has taken effect, if Xatu has fallen, I can swap in Luxray to take a will-o-wisp or thunder wave prediction. Luxray is my hardest physical hitter, however it gets worn down easily between burn damage and wild charge recoil, and it is for this reason, among others, that I am considering swapping a mon to bring in a cleric mon with wish.

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Toxic
- Mirror Coat
Araquanid is my z-move mon, with z-liquidation packing a solid punch, as well as it being the specially defensive set to Xatu's defensive set. Araquanid is obviously my main check to water, fire, and bug type mons, and I have found that it works well with Xatu and Luxray, as Luxray can take electric hits, and Araquanid can take out dark pokemon that threaten Xatu if Toxicroak has fallen. Liquidation is a solid move and a powerful z-move thanks to water bubble, and leech life allows for Araquanid to live longer. Toxic allows for Araquanid to cripple mons that otherwise wall it, and Mirror Coat is a nice wild card to pull out, especially against mons who go for the special super effective electric move, and often OHKOs mons that would have otherwise proved a problem. I took inspiration for this set from a pokemon youtuber called DuncanKneeDeep, who used a very similar set, and so far it has worked out well for me. however, if the opponent manages to get rocks up, Araquanid suffers immensely.

Drampa @ Assault Vest
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
Drampa was originally the choice specs mon on the team until I added Zoroark, and i didn't want to run 2 choice specs mons on the same team, so I gave Drampa Assault Vest. Drampa doesn't hit nearly as hard now, and though it's specially defensive and can take electric type moves far better than Araquanid, I already have a specially defensive mon in Araquanid. Like Luxray, Drampa gets worn down easily. If i were to swap out any mon, Drampa would be the one, as it very rarely plays a huge role in battles. Hyper voice and Draco meteor are solid stab moves, and flamethrower and hurricane are nice coverage, though hurricane almost never sees use because i don't trust its poor accuracy. I have considered swapping Drampa for Goodra, but some suggestions as to what mon to swap it to, or better sets to run to make Drampa more useful would be greatly appreciated.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
Toxicroak originally served as Zoroark's illusion back when the two had similar sets, but ever since i swapped focus blast for Flamethrower on Zoroark, Toxicroak has taken on another niche. I am not entirely positive if poison types clear toxic thread from the field the way they do toxic spikes, but at the very least, Toxicroak allows for the clean up of toxic spikes, protecting my mons from poison. if set up is permitted, a swords dance or two allows gunk shot and drain punch, Toxicroak's STAB moves, to hit with deadly power. Drain punch allows for Toxicroak to live a little longer, as the life orb plus Toxicroak's less than stellar defenses can mean it wears down easily. Ice punch serves as nice coverage in case Luxray is down, though because of Luxray's moveset, ice punch doesn't see much use, and any suggestions to swap this move with would be appreciated.

Overall:
Given that several of my mons (Luxray, Toxicroak, Drampa) are worn down easy, and hazards (namely stealth rocks) are a problem if they get set up against me, any suggestions as to a cleric mon or a mon to help deal with hazards better would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)