RU Analyses Discussion Thread

What do you guys think on Mawile being a available for a low-priorety analysis? It's hovering around B rn in the viability rankings, so I think an analysis isn't completely unwarranted. I don't think that the weird sheer force breaker set should be put on the analysis at all, it would probably be ranked for the massive utility it brings to offense with it's bulky set by stopping scarfed Tyrantrum and Durant, setting rocks and pivoting with BP all in one slot. Thoughts?

Hey, while it is not as viable as other sets, I've been using Meloetta-Pirouette in RU to great success. A lot of teams are not prepared for it and while it is subpar to other sets, I believe it deserves its own set, not just a mention in Other Options. Right now you have to go to the UU analysis for the set, and it almost fits RU better so...?

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/absol/ru/

The Fire Blast slash should probably be just relegated to the Moves section as Absol seldom sees reason to use the move (Steelix is hit harder by Superpower, Tangrowth's popularity is diminishing due to venusaur, and Escavalier can at least afford to revenge kill Absol reliably due to Assault vest helping it avoid the OHKO). I'd suggest a set change to the following:

Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Play Rough / Iron Tail / Pursuit

The reason to add a Jolly slash is due to absol being able to reliably trap Timid Hoopa while also being to speed tie with Adamant Hitmonlee and have a chance to beat it with sucker punch.

e: on another random note, Choice Band Scrafty should probably re-added since it's a pretty effective pivot into phys. attackers like Tyrantrum. TBH whoever removed it also forgot to take out a mention of CB in OO -_-

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
[19:06] @aoemica: Does mesprit still have an awful one?
[19:07] @aoemica: Psychic is preferred as the STAB move over Psyshock because it deals much more damage to Taunt Cobalion
[19:07] @aoemica: Love a good RU analysis.
[19:07] @aoemica:Ice Beam is the coverage move of choice in order to smash Gligar and Shiftry

aomica brought this up in chat, and yh I agree. it could use a revamp

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/mesprit/ru/

phantom

Banned deucer.
[19:06] @aoemica: Does mesprit still have an awful one?
[19:07] @aoemica: Psychic is preferred as the STAB move over Psyshock because it deals much more damage to Taunt Cobalion
[19:07] @aoemica: Love a good RU analysis.
[19:07] @aoemica:Ice Beam is the coverage move of choice in order to smash Gligar and Shiftry

aomica brought this up in chat, and yh I agree. it could use a revamp

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/mesprit/ru/
jesus do some people have to be so unbearably obnoxious (looking at the log, not your post). anyway, mesprit is added to the index. @ anyone, feel free to bring up anything else that you think might need a revamp just don't be rude about it. i'll be working on sorting out the other stuff laid out in this thread soonish.

I feel like Mega Camerupt should be rewritten. In my experience, running rocks and toxic on it really defeats its wallbreaking purpose.

I feel like Mega Camerupt should be rewritten. In my experience, running rocks and toxic on it really defeats its wallbreaking purpose.
Yeah, running rocks on it is a bad idea. Toxic, however, is a legitimate option to cripple stuff that might switch in like Jellicent. I do agree it needs a revamp, perhaps with a spread of 252 Spa / 252 Spe which is probably what you want in this meta to outrun mons like Diancie.

Yeah, running rocks on it is a bad idea. Toxic, however, is a legitimate option to cripple stuff that might switch in like Jellicent. I do agree it needs a revamp, perhaps with a spread of 252 Spa / 252 Spe which is probably what you want in this meta to outrun mons like Diancie.
I think a spread to outspeed sassy diancie would be better, as the extra speed takes away from that bulk, which lets it check fairies like Diancie to an extent.

phantom

Banned deucer.
CB Scrafty actually works p. well as a bulky pivot into stuff like ttrum's head smash; it's by no means a bad set o.o
No, it's a bad set. It hits like a pansy in contrast to better Fighting-type wallbreakers and can situationally check like one or two offensive Pokemon w/o getting crippled. Slow, few resists and overall low damage output make it below average and an undesirable set overall. I'd much rather use Gurdurr if I want a mildly hard-hitting Fighter that can check Tyrantrum, and at least Gurdurr is better at checking Dark-types. As for wallbreakers, there's at least 3 better options. LO Scrafty with DD is even a better option since it can still function as a breaker of sorts, but pose the threat of set up.

No, it's a bad set. It hits like a pansy in contrast to better Fighting-type wallbreakers and can situationally check like one or two offensive Pokemon w/o getting crippled. Slow, few resists and overall low damage output make it below average and an undesirable set overall. I'd much rather use Gurdurr if I want a mildly hard-hitting Fighter that can check Tyrantrum, and at least Gurdurr is better at checking Dark-types. As for wallbreakers, there's at least 3 better options.
could the choice band mention in OO at least be removed too then?

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Could Hariyama get a RU analysis? It's currently ranked at C+ in the VR and doesn't have one, it works well as a Fire and Ice check with Thick Fat Assault Vest and hits pretty hard as well.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/scrafty/

Feel like the analysis warrants an update by now. Scrafty was taken as a bigger threat during the meta back then, and the move options could be optimized much more. As for the set, this could probably be the best bet imo:

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

e2: After some consideration, feel like Lum Berry + Intimidate would still grant Scrafty the most ample amount of opportunities. Chople Berry + Shed Skin can be mentioned in set details order to prevent scrafty from being RK'd by scarfers if healthy enough; it works very well in specific builds. Don't feel like LO is actually worth a main slash since the recoil would still be too troubling even if Scrafty 'can break things before a DD'.

e: also since I've seen it among the big boys, maybe someone could add a choice scarf drapion set?

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
So I noticed the tank Rhyperior has 28 Atk investment, which it says is supposed to be for offensive Drapion variants. However, no Attack investment is actually needed at all:

0+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drapion: 290-344 (103.2 - 122.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
28+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Drapion: 300-354 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
24+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Drapion: 300-354 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

28 Atk investment only seems to target some weird 76 HP Drapion variant, but 24 Atk investment takes that down all the same. So I thought it'd be more for Tyrantrum, in which case...

28+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyrantrum: 278-330 (91.1 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyrantrum: 270-320 (88.5 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

28 Atk investment doesn't come close to securing a flat OHKO, and after SR, the Atk investment is no longer required either. So yeah, I have no clue what 28 Atk EVs does specifically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)