ORAS PU Rose Tattoo

This is my 4th PU RMT, and my first one based on Hyper Offense. It started around a core I wanted to test and ended up with me hyping my own core to the point where I wanted this to be the new Birdspam HO of PU (like the OU one that just popped up everywhere.) Eventually, I calmed down a bit and was able to actually process this into words.
For the song, I was just imagining a rose growing on top of Cacturne's head and cracking myself up. Adorable cactus attack.

Teambuilding

The team was originally based around CB Dodrio+Special Cacturne. I had a theory that the two could theoretically break any core in PU with sheer wallbreaking power.

Of course, I came to realize a few mons that might not be broken, namely Vullaby and Clefairy, so I added another powerful wallbreaker to take care of those two. Mawile's dual stab is super effective against both of those mons, and it hits really damn hard.

At this point I wanted a revenge killers since the team was very slow at this point. Rotom-Frost revenge kills special waters which were a big problem for the team at this point (Dodrio: Ice Beamed, Cacturne: Ice Beamed, Mawile: Hydro Pumped.) It also threatens grounds with Blizzard and helps a ton versus offense.

I needed a rocker and another way to discourage Stoutland from spamming Return. Golem fit on both counts. It can also do its own wallbreaking since STAB EdgeQuake is sooo good.

Finally, I wanted another special attacker and a mon that can wisp Cacturne so I don't automatically lose to SD Turne. It also acts as a pseudo-fast mon. Probably the weakest link of the team.

In-Depth

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

The first member of the core. Dodrio hits like a truck with a Choice Band, OHKOing a good chuck of the tier and 2HKOing a decent portion of the rest, even some resists. Brave Bird is the nuke option, severely denting everything that doesn't resist it. Frustration is the other STAB that doesn't inflict recoil, and is chosen over Return due to Dittos typically carrying 255 happiness. (In other words, it doesn't really matter.) Knock Off is good coverage on Ghost-types and it also removes Eviolites. Finally, Quick Attack is chosen in the last slot since Dodrio's Quick Attack is actually decently strong, doing about 50% to offensive mons that don't resist it.

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sucker Punch

The second member of the core. Cacturne also hits like a truck, but without Choice items, so we can run Life Orb here. I prefer specially based Cacturne due to the ability to nuke physically defensive mons and even some specially defensive ones (252+ Life Orb Focus Blast does something like 65% to Max HP Max SpDef Audino.) I like Giga Drain on Cacturne for be able to last longer, but there is a good case for Energy Ball. I just like to test my luck by switching 'Turne into Golem and hopefully not dying. Dark Pulse is the nuke button, Focus Blast is the coverage, and Sucker Punch helps versus offense. 40 Atk gives the Sucker Punches a little boost, and the EVs are taken out of speed since 216 Spe hits 200 speed, enough for Adamant Mawile. Speaking of which...

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Play Rough

The first setup sweeper. Mawile exists to further blow stall out of the water with general wallbreaking or even cleaning with Sucker Punch. Play Rough/Iron Head is insanely good neutral coverage and both moves are boosted by Sheer Force+Life Orb, meaning they will hurt everything, even walls like Probopass (standard offensive pivot takes 45-50% from +0 Iron Head.) Adamant nature is chosen since the speed isn't entirely needed and the extra damage is worth it. Finally, Swords Dance turns Mawile into a monster if it can find an opportunity to set up.

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

The revenge killer. Very standard Rotom-F, with the set that gave it S-rank, scarf. Rotom is strong and just fast enough, its typing gives it the fabled BoltBeam STAB, and it has Volt Switch, so pretty hard to go wrong here. Blizzard hits grounds that ignore Volt Switch and Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt is good electric STAB, Volt Switch is on its way to steal your momentum, and Trick is just because I have never run Hidden Power Ice. I could probably run HP Ice since the team already has a pretty good stall matchup, but it's whatever.

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

The rocker. Golem is in my opinion the best Stealth Rocker in the PU tier due to its great combination of power, coverage, priority, and resistances. I'm using a rather old set, Adamant Weakness Policy, which I like on this team because it absolutely obliterates the low ladder with boosted Sucker Punches and Earthquakes. This is more customizable, and Adamant leaves the team weaker to Marowak, but this is what I'm going with for now. Golem is also the main normal resist (e.g. Stoutland), so if you have to switch it into Stout, make sure that they're switching before clicking Stealth Rock since you absolutely need damage on Stout in order to win the game.

Drifblim @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 236 SpA / 80 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Will-O-Wisp

Finally, the alternate setup sweeper. To be honest, I wasn't thinking as hard once I got to this part of the team. I just wanted a special secondary setup sweeper, and I also wanted it to have some decent speed, which Drifblim really doesn't have until Unburden activates. If you're wondering what the hell that EV spread does, it's designed to always keep up a Substitute versus 0 Spa Lumineon Scald. The speed is for Adamant base 70s like Mightyena which to be perfectly honest I should probably just put into SpAtk. The rest goes into SpAtk. It also spinblocks, kinda...? I guess this is just here so the team doesn't autolose to SD Cacturne+Spikes.

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sucker Punch

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Play Rough

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Drifblim @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 236 SpA / 80 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Will-O-Wisp

Threats:
Rapidash

Outspeeds everything, gets off burns, gross to deal with.

Lumineon

It feels weird to put a nonoffensive defogger in threats but its a legitimate threat. Lumi comes in on Cacturne and outspeeds, threatening to kill it with U-Turn, and the rest of the team hates switching into Scald. Lumineon is basically the main reason I kept Drifblim, just to wear it down with Shadow Balls.

Stoutland

CB Stoutland either outspeeds or lives a hit from every member and is annoying to deal with, especially if the opponent conserves it well. Try to wear it down with priority by sacking one mon or predicting what attack it's going for.

Sorry, no replays yet but I might get one or two later.

And that's mostly it. Some fun, mindless HO. A feel small shoutouts:
VeryPinkPancakes, good friend in the PU room, grats on driver
Rebel Pawniards, another good friend from PU, I might have to join you in leaving PU if Alomomola gets banned
cryalot, grats on voice
ManOfMany, cool guy, also from PU​

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, nice team

HO is a pretty dominant playstyle rn and is hard to go wrong with priority spam. The biggest weakness on this team is Confuse Ray Volbeat Swords Dance Monferno, as if it sets up to +2 your options are wearing it down w/ recoil and Dodrio's or potentially Mawiles priority. Though this may work, it requires you to make sacks and it puts a lot of pressure on you to stay in with whatever in order to get chip, which sometimes means you have to stay in with a potential wincon. The two best ways to get around this would replacing Rotom or Blim with something that outspeeds and can take a +2 Mach Punch with ease. To also deal with other threats, I recomend you change both, with Rotom-f to Choice Scarf Mr Mime, and Drifblim to Rotom-fan. They both help out with Monferno, as just running Mime isn't enough IMO as most run Pursuit support, and I also feel Rotom-f provides more utility than Drifblim does, as its much more nicer to user early game, like when Cacturne is still around, and still provides momentum and pressures Lumineon. Obviously the Rotom's cannot be ran together, and Mr Mime still fits this team very well, especially because Healing Wish is invaluable for Mawile and Cacturne, allowing them to wallbreak near the start of the game and then clean up after. Though this loses your second wincon overall special Drifblim has difficulty sweeping due to strength, especially because it lacks power and since you need Will-o-Wisp, you lack space for Calm Mind. Lastly, having one less Stealth Rock weak mon is always nice.

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Rotom-Fan @ Leftover / Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Water
- Will-O-Wisp
I don't think Life Orb fits this team as you don't want it too warn down

Hope I Helped!

Hi, nice team

HO is a pretty dominant playstyle rn and is hard to go wrong with priority spam. The biggest weakness on this team is Confuse Ray Volbeat Swords Dance Monferno, as if it sets up to +2 your options are wearing it down w/ recoil and Dodrio's or potentially Mawiles priority. Though this may work, it requires you to make sacks and it puts a lot of pressure on you to stay in with whatever in order to get chip, which sometimes means you have to stay in with a potential wincon. The two best ways to get around this would replacing Rotom or Blim with something that outspeeds and can take a +2 Mach Punch with ease. To also deal with other threats, I recomend you change both, with Rotom-f to Choice Scarf Mr Mime, and Drifblim to Rotom-fan. They both help out with Monferno, as just running Mime isn't enough IMO as most run Pursuit support, and I also feel Rotom-f provides more utility than Drifblim does, as its much more nicer to user early game, like when Cacturne is still around, and still provides momentum and pressures Lumineon. Obviously the Rotom's cannot be ran together, and Mr Mime still fits this team very well, especially because Healing Wish is invaluable for Mawile and Cacturne, allowing them to wallbreak near the start of the game and then clean up after. Though this loses your second wincon overall special Drifblim has difficulty sweeping due to strength, especially because it lacks power and since you need Will-o-Wisp, you lack space for Calm Mind. Lastly, having one less Stealth Rock weak mon is always nice.

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Rotom-Fan @ Leftover / Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Water
- Will-O-Wisp
I don't think Life Orb fits this team as you don't want it too warn down

Hope I Helped!
Thanks for the great rate (gr8 r8?) Anty, the team is a lot more consistent now and covers Monferno well. I really like the edits made, I feel like its now a team that has a little flexibility to lose one or two 50/50s and still take the game, something HO can rarely do. I'm sure you know by now that I submitted the changed version to the PU Sample Teams, which is exciting for me, and I wanted to thank you for that. This will probably be my last RMT before SuMo come out (well, I might do one more) at which point I'll be too busy playing with the broken stuff to play ORAS PU for awhile. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)