SM OU RMT: UrsaKing of Trick Room

Hello: I'm Cleska and I'm in the 1500 ELOs. My favorite pokemon and generation are Feraligatr and Pokemon generation 5.

I'm here to present to you guys my new team with the one I just keep spanking people out here.^^
I'll begin by talking about the pokemons, then I'll do a little paragraph on the game plan with this team.
Also, I'm french so be indulgent with my grammar. But don't hesitate to state if there si too much orthograph fault I'll do my best to correct myself^^.
Lets get started:

Trick Room team:UrsaKing of Trick Room

UrsaKing (Ursaring) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

The captain of the team. Well, he's a NU pokemon so there is nothing really special about his moveset or EVs repartition. Extremely powefull pokemon under the Trick Room though. When Guts is active, there is no tank for him. Only check at the VERY LEAST, especially with his moveset.
Facade allow him to cheese Tanks like a Darumanitan Choice Banded, not versus Steel, Ghost and Rock types though (But they take at least 30% of damage on the switch in). Close Combat and Crunch allow me to win these match-ups or to keep an adventageous lead for a longer run, and Fire Punch is here especially because in this meta, a Fire type move is almost a need for a sweeper ( shoutout to Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Skarmory, Mega-Scizzor, ect...). This pokemon with this set ALMOST 2hit KO the whole meta. And he look so savage I needed to play him (yes I always make my teams with pokemons I love above all, not focusing on OU pokemon only.).
He's decent in defense because he does have a lot of HP, but that is it. he can still die pretty easily. He must be brought on the field only after the trick room is up and after the death of one team member or after a Volt switch of Magearna.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon

In this meta, Magearna is in my opinion the best pokemon for setting up the Trick Room. And she's cute^^. Well here again nothing out of the ordinary here. Leftovers for the bulk, Volt Switch for sending the captain in the field or another pokemon, and the rest is obvious. I wanted that all my pokemons could do some big damages, thats why I go with the max EVs SpA.
She also gives some good defensive cover for my team with her double types, and offensive because she's the only one pokemon in this team to have an Electrik type move. She's usually the starter of this team, along with Slowbro-Mega.

Slowbruh (Slowbro-Mega) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Fire Blast

The Bruh of all pokemons! Slowbruh-erm Slowbro is my second pokemon who setup the Trick Room. Usually the starter in every matches with Magearna depending of the trainer's starter. Well, like every one know, in mega form his physical defense is ridiculous. But I have the feeling that what people don't know I think is that his SpA and HP stats in mega form is GREAT and that he's obviously a second Trick Roomer! I swear I've several replays of trainers with their Lando-T or Salamence for example, trying to Sword Dance of Dragon Dance before him! So he's, awkwardly, a good pokemon to setup the Room without your foe can notice it.
For the moveset, I go Psyshock for allow me to fight a Chansey and other SpD tank, Surf is because Hydro-pump miss all the time... and Fire Blast to face all those Steel type cancers. Its the best offensive coverage for Slowbro and for this team. His defensives stats and double types marries pretty well with Magearna's. So they're the center of the team, defensively and in a way offensively. But almost never let him with a SpA pokemon faster than him of who can check him cause he'll probably get bodied.
Overall its good to reverse the table in this meta where all is based on speed and stall( shoutout the the intouchable Tapu Koko), but too much of one thing can give an unwanted result, and that is why Terrakion is in this team.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

Like you can see, Its a Choice scarf Terrakion, not at all made to battle in the Room. But the opprtunities that he offers are many and DEADLY! I don't know why but not a SINGLE trainer that I've faced until now with this team success to notice that he's obviousely scarfed. And these guys are 1400-1500 ranked trainers! Maybe its the fact that the foe is too much focused on the fact that its a Trick Room team, and they think that this Terrakion is made to battle in the Room too. Terrakion is here because a good team need at least one fast pokemon in my opinion, and he got my fav double type:Rock/Fighting. With him, I can handle situations where the Room isn't here. He got insane damages and the moveset is pretty good for the offensive coverage. I think he's just the perfect Revenge Killer for this team.
I put him Stone Miss and Close combat for the type boost, then Earthquake to face Electrik type pokemon, cause they are one of the worst type of pokemon for this team along with the Ground type, and for dealing with Poison type like Toxapex. Then Zen Headbutt to be able to fight other Fighting types and ESPECIALLY for Mega-Venusaur, cause he's somewhat a problem for this team and for me personally. I could go for Poison Jab, but the Fairy types like Tapu Fini of Sylveon aren't a threat with Magearna and Marowark-Alola.
So yeah he's a bit like all other Terrakions out here but he's a great element for this team.
This moveset allow me to hit hard the pokemon of this meta. Also He's always my starter when a Volcarona is on the other team, cause they think that they can bring him with ease when they see Magearna and Slowbro.
Earlier I did say that Electrik type are cancerous for this team, since only Dhelmise have a resistance for it. That was why, with the fact that he's a monster in the Room, I needed Marowak-Alola.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Brave Nature
- Substitute
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang

Well, I've always wanted to play Marowak since he was so swag but he was very useless, now with his Alola version and with his ability, I can finally put him in my team!^^ His ability make him a life saver for this team (This feeling of peace when a Tapu Koko or a Mega-Manetric try to Volt Switch on him...^^). He's the second brawler in the Room after UrsaKing.
For his moveset, I go with Substitute. At the begening I was using Sword Dance, but I've noticed that Substitute allowed me, in the Room, to pratically ALWAYS have the advantage, cause the foe must attack the subs if he wanted to win the match. Marowak-Alola have already enough power on his own and have a perfect offensive coverage, so instead of completely focusing on power, I've prefered go for the securisation of the lead, since Subs allow me to evade those Mega-Mawile's/Dugtrio's Sucker-Punch traps and not Sword Dance for example. After I go with Fire Punch, since Substitute use his HP, Flare Blitz will not be able to grant me a good reward due to the recoil factor. Flare Blitz will be my pick only if I use Sword Dance instead of Substitute. Then I go with Shadow Bone and Bonemerang.
His ability and somehow his double types bring a good defensive coverage for the team in general, but actually, the one pokemon in this team that have the perfect double type for this team is Dhelmise.

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
Brave Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Power Whip
- Shadow Claw
- Rapid Spin

This pokemon, that I always wanted to play along with Lycanroc, is also a life saver for this team (Its somehow ironic considering that these 2 are Ghost type^^). The fact is that he's actually the only pokemon in this team who have a resistance to the Ground type! All the pokemons in this team are grounded, so I needed a pokemon that could clean the field for the well-being of the team (Damn Steath Rock and Toxic Spike), could resists to 2 of the worst types of pokemon for this team, have some great offensive tool and stats along with decent defense and HP stats and could bring some great offensive coverage along with the capacity to be able to do works in the Room. And I think that Dhelmise is the one.
He have some great HP and Atk stats and since his none offensive move aren't very usefull to him, Assault Vest was the Item for him. With this, he can literrally counter some pokemon that actually are his demons (shoutout to Greninja).
For his offensive options, I go with the basic Anchor Shot/Power Whip/Shadow Claw/Rapid Spin moveset. Well, I don't think there is something special to say about it.
Overall, He's really a pokemon that you must use with CARE! So much works for one pokemon that is not extremely well-rounded like other pokemon isn't a easy task to handle. But hey, he's cool to watch and he got some potencials, so I won't complain^^.

Now for the game plan in general (that my point of view here you're not obliged to play like that at all):

-Lead with Magearna of Slowbro (Lead with Terrakion is very situational).
-The first thing to do is to setup the Room. Then attack (since Magearna and Mega-Slowbro have the Quiet nature, they deal a good amoung of damages) or switch depending of the situation.
-Try to keep Magearna fresh the longest time possible, she's unfortunately the only pokemon here that have a resistance to the Flying type (Woaw I've completly forgot to talk about this type who is also one of the worst for this team. But usually, those pokemons dies before having the time to do some work).
-When the room go off, if UrsaKing is in the field and that he got enough HP to take one hit, stay and go for Facade or another move to trigger the super effective. You must kill the most of pokemons you can with him. Or switch if you're sure that it is safe to do so. Recklessness is the key because Terrakion can finish the job after that.
-Be more carefull with Marowak-Alola though. His ability and double types are always usefull (since Tapu Koko and other Electrik pokemons are untouchable and keep using Volt Switch). Also, you should use Substitute only if the next turn, you'll be able to kill the pokemon without losing the subs.
-When your oppenent seem to have the lead (generally when the Room went off and that your oppenent have a fast pokemon that his weak to Rock/Fighting move or to physical move in general), go Terrakion.
-If Dhelmise is on the field and that you can tank a SpA move from your oppenent, and can after that kill him, don't restrein yourself and attack. They'll never see it comiiiiiiiiiiing! (Since nobody expect to face a Assault Vested Dhelmise in the first place)

Aand that pretty much it! Honestly I've spanked so many cheeks with this team that incredible. I really like all that offensive and defensive coverage that this team have (even if the last one maybe need some improvement because of the Ground type we'll see in the future). I'm so happy to have made a team where so many pokemon from different tier can work like this together.

Please rate my team, comment on possible counter or Big counter, what pokemon you would have use for a precise role and what moveset you think is better, what you like/dislike in this team, ect... like that I can work on this team a bit more.

If you want to watch my records, go on the replay section of the Showdown game and search for Cleska.

Thanks you for reading it and have a good day^^

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Alors là, cleska, je t'admire!!!! (je suis français ;) )
Wow man, you've won my heart, really!!!

Rating silly standard teams is not my cup of tea, and here you bring something I can't help rating!!
I will try to be brief (which I have some trouble doing).

TRICKROOM+SCARFER IS THE FUTURE
I don't know if you (the reader) have ever considered using a scarfer in a Trick Room team. This is an old concept dating back to gen4 that is almost completely forgotten and deserves some attention. Indeed, setting up trick room can be difficult late game, when your team is too weakened and is going to be swept by a zardY for example, or a DD zardX/nite. But the opponent's team is weak, very weak too: but we often feel certain to win vs a trick room team when we see our 80/100 BS pokemon is able to kill the poor, slow, weakened Trick room mons.
But here, cleska brings a great tool: a late game sweeper in a Trick room team, and it's really genius! Scarf terrakion just sweeps a team were landorus has been destroyed by marowak, ferrothorn by slowbro, toxapex by marowak, skarmory by ursaring....

Sometimes, changing a pokemon can transform a team, so I'm back to suggest some ideas, notably alternatives to some slots so as to improve a set or bring a pokemon with similar role but higher viablity!

Dhelmise is to me the source of problems here. Ursaring, despite being a NU thing, has literally no switchin and is great here with terrakion. However stacking two lowtier mons with dhelmise is not a great idea, besides dhelmise is quite terrible in OU: you lose the spin battle vs rocky landorus I'm afraid, and you give free switchin to ferrothorn. In a trick room team, you can't afford to do that!
What I suggest is...

1) Fixing the ground weakness
with Slackoff>Psychock on slowbro, and obvioulsy use scald>surf so you burn pesky toxapex and grass and allow marowak and terrakion to get 2hkos for instance.

2)Removing that dhelmise (focus on building around ursaring) and either: use a defogger (you have no rocks man why spin??) or use a rocker+spinner. You don't need a grass mon since slowbro deals with keldeo and other water or ground things easily with 185 def bulk.
Here are, to me, the best you can do :

Donphan @ Leftovers / Groundium Z
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Pretty obvious, it also allows you to run Rockhead>Lightining rod and get an insane amount of kills with marowak with flareblitz!

Claydol
@ Leftovers / colbur berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam

A pure utility set that keeps landorus away and provides everything you need (and an electric resist!)

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Lava Plume / Eruption
- Earthquake / Sludge Bomb / Shell Smash / Explosion

Well again you have both rocks and spin, a slow mon, marowak under sun doesn't fear greninja and toxapex at all, Lavaplume deters landorus from coming in while Earthquake/Sludge bomb weaken heatran and tapu fini. A modest set allows you to hit hard while still keeping 140 stat def. But keep lighting rod or you will los to tapukoko!
252+ SpA Torkoal Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian in Sun: 190-225 (49.7 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Swanna @ Life Orb / Flyinium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe ---- 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 spdef / 0 speed
Timid Nature ---- Quiet Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost

Well if you don't have time to use rocks try a defogger: they are usually better than spinners and don't care about ghosts! Here is a safe switchin to Defensive landorus and powerful attacker: you can either use it timid so as to outspeed offensive landorus or make it as slow as possible! It's a cool set tho I don't know if it works but I'm sure it's better than dhelmise!!

I say I would be brief: I lied.

I hope I helped, and good luck with your Scarf trick room, I will definitely give it a try!! There's a lot of potential in your build and I hope to see it climb the ladder and show to the world that being fast in trick room is the future!

Do you mind adding an importable of the team? Use this
[hide_='title']your text[/_hide] without the "_"
MERCI pour ton commentaire je suis heureux de voir que tu ais compris le deal: TRICK ROOMXCHOICE SCARF C'EST LE FUTUR!

Well, I'll definitively give it a try! Its true that these time I've some little problem with lando-T but the UrsaKing is too powerfull! So I'll give a try to all your suggestions and see if I get a better reward than with Dhelmise.

Now lets try what you asked:
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

Magearna @ Leftovers
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon

Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Fire Blast

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

Brave Nature
- Substitute
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Brave Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Power Whip
- Shadow Claw
- Rapid Spin

Ok I think its good. Again I'm so happy to see someone who really understand the power and large potencial of this type of team Trick Room! Conserning your suggest, I'm sure than the Torkoal will be quite usefull. Cover the water type with the sun is something very interesting. But I fear for the Slackoff>Psyshock. On one side, I'll be a lot more bulky and usefull in a long run, but in another hand I'll lack Psychc type moves and that something I don't like. Maybe Its just because I to afraid to face a Mega-Venusaur and don't be able to destruc him. Like I've said earlier, I wanted to all my pokemon could be as offensive as possible, but I see the big potential behind the Slackoff so I'll try this out too (and you too if you want to try my team^^). And yes also I must also use Scald instead of Surf. I did that because I usually play Tapu Fini and I've take the habit to put Surf instead of Scald, since the Misty field diseable statues (something that NOBODY in the ladder understand that incredible).

But that intersting that you say that Dhelmise is the problem. I totally see now why but until now he make such a incredible job with the Assault Vest that allow me to trap his counters. And also he's the only Pokemon to have a good SpD since he have Assault Vest. When I make a team, I've always this need to have one pokemon that can tank SpD, but with some great offensive power. I still haven't figure out another pokemon than him.
Well thank you again for the clean comment! Lets talk some more If you got some other suggestions or ideas concerning my team, ect...^^

Also don't hesitate to watch some replays of my team! write Cleska in the replay section or shinjacky( that my second account at 1400 peaks. I use this one for testing new teams)

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
MERCI pour ton commentaire je suis heureux de voir que tu ais compris le deal: TRICK ROOMXCHOICE SCARF C'EST LE FUTUR!

Well, I'll definitively give it a try! Its true that these time I've some little problem with lando-T but the UrsaKing is too powerfull! So I'll give a try to all your suggestions and see if I get a better reward than with Dhelmise.

Now lets try what you asked:
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

Magearna @ Leftovers
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon

Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Fire Blast

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

Brave Nature
- Substitute
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Brave Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Power Whip
- Shadow Claw
- Rapid Spin

Ok I think its good. Again I'm so happy to see someone who really understand the power and large potencial of this type of team Trick Room! Conserning your suggest, I'm sure than the Torkoal will be quite usefull. Cover the water type with the sun is something very interesting. But I fear for the Slackoff>Psyshock. On one side, I'll be a lot more bulky and usefull in a long run, but in another hand I'll lack Psychc type moves and that something I don't like. Maybe Its just because I to afraid to face a Mega-Venusaur and don't be able to destruc him. Like I've said earlier, I wanted to all my pokemon could be as offensive as possible, but I see the big potential behind the Slackoff so I'll try this out too (and you too if you want to try my team^^). And yes also I must also use Scald instead of Surf. I did that because I usually play Tapu Fini and I've take the habit to put Surf instead of Scald, since the Misty field diseable statues (something that NOBODY in the ladder understand that incredible).

But that intersting that you say that Dhelmise is the problem. I totally see now why but until now he make such a incredible job with the Assault Vest that allow me to trap his counters. And also he's the only Pokemon to have a good SpD since he have Assault Vest. When I make a team, I've always this need to have one pokemon that can tank SpD, but with some great offensive power. I still haven't figure out another pokemon than him.
Well thank you again for the clean comment! Lets talk some more If you got some other suggestions or ideas concerning my team, ect...^^

Also don't hesitate to watch some replays of my team! write Cleska in the replay section or shinjacky( that my second account at 1400 peaks. I use this one for testing new teams)
Yup I will try to go to the 1700-1750 rank by slowly trying different sets and tell you what's the best! A bientôt!

Check your nature and ivs on ursaring man..... Brave and 0 ivs speed pls^^
Well, I've made some test, but its seem that almost none of your suggestion were the solution. Only the moveset for Mega-Slowbro were really usefull with slackoff. With Donphan and the other, I had to much trouble to send a solid starter and setup the rocks. The team were too fragile versus Greninja and other Water type and versus Dark type as well. Also I had no pokemon bulky enough who could be send in a switch, especially on the special side. But I finnaly find out a anwser I guess with Tapu Fini. This is her build:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Light Screen

Now I can tank SpA and Atk pokemon, clean the field, big resistance to the Water and Dark type. Things are clearly easier for me now.
Hope that will help you^^.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)