Monotype RMT Mono Flying Type

Introduction

I am pretty new to monotype battling and would love some feedback on my team. With my current team, I tend to win about half of the time on Pokemon Showdown, but I have trouble sometimes. Thank you in advance!

The Team

Gliscor @ false Ability: Hyper Cutter EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe Adamant Nature - Earthquake - Swords Dance - Poison Jab - Acrobatics
**Why did you choose this pokemon? What does it do for your team?**

I chose Gliscor as a counter to Electric types. I use him as a bulky physical sweeper with Swords Dance to raise his attack stat and Earthquake to eliminate Electric type Pokemon. Acrobatics provides a STAB move that is reasonably powerful because he is carrying no item. Poison Jab is there to provide a variety to the types of moves he can do with a hope for poisoning the opponent.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet Ability: Keen Eye EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe Bold Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Stealth Rock - Spikes - Roost - Whirlwind

Skarmory functions as my lead. He can take a lot of physical hits, which allows him time to set up Stealth Rock and Spikes. With Whirlwind and Roost, he can continually switch out Pokemon into the hazard and heal and damage they may take. Skarmory also takes neutral damage from rock and ice types, ehich are big problems for my team.

Staraptor @ Life Orb Ability: Reckless EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Jolly Nature - Brave Bird - Roost - Double-Edge - Close Combat

I chose Staraptor for my team because it has a high physical attack potential and is fast. This Staraptor is designed to give out a lot of damage and fast with Brave Bird as a STAB move and Double Edge. Roost allows Staraptor to recover from the recoil damage done by these moves. Close Combat provides some coverage against Rock type pokemon.

Togekiss @ Leftovers Ability: Serene Grace EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD Modest Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Aura Sphere - Nasty Plot - Air Slash - Dazzling Gleam

Togekiss is on this team because it is immune to common Dragon types and works as a bulky special sweeper. Aura Sphere provides coverage against Rock Types, and Air Slash and Dazzling Gleam provide some STAB moves. Nasty Plot allows it raise its special attack.

Salamence @ Focus Sash Ability: Intimidate EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Adamant Nature - Body Slam - Outrage - Dragon Dance - Earthquake

Salamence works as a bulkier physical attacker. Dragon Dance allows it further raise its speed and attack to maximize damage. Outrage provides its STAB move, and Earthquake provides it some coverage from Electric types. Slam gives it a reasonable powerful, neutral move that has a higher chance to paralyze its target.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y Ability: Drought EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD Modest Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Focus Blast - Fire Blast - Solar Beam - Roost

Mega Charizard Y is on this team as bulkier special attacker and a counter to Ice Type Pokemon because it takes neutral damage. With its ability Drought, Solar Beam only takes one move to complete and provides some coverage against water types, and it powers up its fire type move Fire Blast. Focus Blast also provides coverage against Rock Types.

Conclusion

My team revolves around dealing out damage hard and fast. It is one of my favorite strategies to use, but I am open to suggestions that might help improve my mono Flying team. Thanks for your help!

Gliscor
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Acrobatics

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Staraptor @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Psyshock

Salamence @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey Blobsterine, very interesting RMT. I have a few changes to Pokemon on the team and a few different sets. This team still has the offense you wanted to work with but has some defensive backbone as well since you had Pokemon such as Skarmory and Gliscor on your original team.

Part 1
Major Changes
Dragonite>Staraptor
>

I chose to replace Staraptor with Dragonite for a couple of reasons, one being it is a fantastic physical wallbreaker, just like Staraptor but can help out Flying teams more, and can set up very easily thanks to Multiscale. This also replaces the need to use Dragon Dance Salamence, a not so viable choice for Monotype. Dragonite also provides a form of priority in Extreme Speed, providing even more Speed control, which the original team lacks. Devastating Drake is a powerful nuke that allows Dragonite to breaks past pokemon such as Porygon2 and Chansey. Earthquake and Fire Punch are then viable options for the last move slot as then former can take on threats such as Heatran and Tapu Koko, while the latter can take on Pokemon such as Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor.
Dragonite @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch / Earthquake

So basically the 2nd major change to the team is changing Salamence to an Offensive Pivot, that provides some form of Speed control and Electric immunity, which two Pokemon do.
Landorus-T>Salamence
>

Landorus-T over Salamence does a few things, it provides a pivot, speed control, another physical attacker, and an Electric-type immunity. Landorus-T can emergency check Pokemon such as Tapu Koko, Knock Off pokemon's items such as Eviolite from Porygon2 and Chansey allowing wallbreakers such as Dragonite and Charizard Y to break through the team easier. It also provides Intimidate support allowing it to check Pokemon such as Terrakion and pivot into a better matchup with U-turn. I would not really worry about making the Ice matchup worse by adding another major Ice weakness since it will win most of the time anyway and is a rare type in Monotype, regardless. It can also provide a second Defog, allowing the team to have an easier time against Stealth Rock.
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

or

Thundurus-T>Salamence
>

Since Dragonite filled the shoes of Staraptor and Salamence, I decided to replace it with a form of Speed control, since Salamence is rather bad anyway. This does a few things provide speed control, a pivot, and an Electric-immunity. It also can hit Pokemon such as Ferrothorn for super effective damage with Focus Blast and can nail threats such as Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus with Hidden Power Ice. It can also outspeed threats such as Choice Scarf Victini and nail it for major damage or pivot out. Thundurus-T can also abuse Sludge Wave over Focus Blast allowing it to check threats such as Tapu Koko for the team.
Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast / Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

=================================

Part 2
Minor Changes

I changed Gliscor from an SD sweeper to a Defog Pokemon, as your team really lacked hazard control, which is really bad for Flying teams since it is super weak to the most common hazard, Stealth Rock. Then, I changed the Gliscor's EVs so they could better take on threats to the type such as Heatran and Choice Band Victini. The HP and Defense investment always allows Gliscor to live 1 V-Create from Choice Band Victini and outspeed Heatran. The rest is dumped into Special Defense allows it to tank attacks such as Choice Scarf Latios's Draco Meteor with more ease. It also has Taunt so it can prevent slower Stealth Rock users from setting up hazards or preventing Pokemon such as Chansey from recovering off damage.
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 20 Def / 132 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

The changes to Skarmory were quite simple, I replaced Spikes with Iron Head and gave it Leftovers instead of Rocky Helmet. I opted to not give Skamory Defog and give that to Gliscor, as Electric is a far more used type making it the stronger Defog user for the type. Then Leftovers makes it easier to switch into various attacks such as Mega Diancie's Diamond Storm. Skarmory is the teams strongest check to Belly Drum Azumarill, so be careful around it and make sure to check it with Skarmory.
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Bold Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind

This Togekiss set was to keep it as a Nasty Plot sweeper, but to also allow it to work as a check against Offense with Thunder Wave and Defensive teams with Nasty Plot. It can also paralyze faster threats such as Choice Scarf Greninja for the team. Air Slash in tandem with Thunder Wave makes it very annoying to break past and annoying for virtually every type and team to deal with, bar Flying resistances like Steel.
Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

This change was the most simple. Just gave it maximum Speed EVs alongside a Timid nature to allow it to be as fast as possible, allowing it to outspeed key threats such as Life Orb Kyurem-B for the team.
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

=================================

Part 3
Team Importable & Conclusion

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Dragonite @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Dragonite @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

I hope my rate was helpful, the new versions of the team can be found above. Good luck with the new team and feel free to contact me or reply for further questions!

Last edited:
Hey Blobsterine, very interesting RMT. I have a few changes to Pokemon on the team and a few different sets. This team still has the offense you wanted to work with but has some defensive backbone as well since you had Pokemon such as Skarmory and Gliscor on your original team.

Part 3
Team Importable & Conclusion

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Dragonite @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Dragonite @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

I hope my rate was helpful, the new versions of the team can be found above. Good luck with the new team and feel free to contact me or reply for further questions!
Thank you so much for the help! I knew that Salamence was not the best choice for my team, but had a hard time thinking of a different solution. I really appreciate it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)