Battle Spot RMT DOUBLES

BATTLE SPOT DOUBLES TEAM ANALYSIS

Hey, everyone! I have been transitioning from Singles to Doubles for the past few days and after much trial and error, I've come to build a team that both uses some of my favorite Pokemon as well as uses some of their best movesets in order to bring out the most utility. The overall objective here is to setup a Sandstorm and have Excadrill safely clean up after my Thundurus and Mega-Latios. So without further ado, allow me to introduce my all-stars!

Thundurus @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
Thundurus is 9 times out of 10 my first pick during Team Preview. Due to the plethora of Trick Room teams in Battle Spot and my team's high speed stats, a successful TR cripples my team time after time and Prankster Taunt on one of the games fastest users has been my response. I am currently running Thunder Wave over Protect simply to slow down and halt some faster threats but it does see little use because of all the Tapu's running around setting up surges. Hidden Power Ice lets me deal with some common Dragons and the pesky Landorus-T which makes it difficult for my Excadrill and Tyranitar especially if it's Choice Banded which is a guaranteed OHKO.

Latios-Mega @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
One of my two Mega Choices and frankly, the one who comes out on point every time. Draco Meteor obliterates non-Speed nature Naganadel as well as other common Dragon threats and leaves a dent in walls. The cost of losing two stages of Special Attack is remedied by predicting the right time to switch out into T-Tar successfully setting up a Sandstorm and saving Mega Latios for another OHKO or to dent a problematic Pokemon. I have contemplated using a Scarf Garchomp to replace Latios but I really don't like the idea of being locked into one move. Starting off with two special wall-breakers has had me a bit worried but Psyshock had replaced Psychic for me and comfortably enough for me to keep opening with Thundurus and Latios.

Tyranitar @ Rockium Z
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
The first of the dynamic duo and the weather manipulator on the team. Excadrill sweeping up the leftovers of Thundurus and Latios is my strategy and that cannot be achieved without upping Exca's Speed in sand. I've had a hard time choosing the item because with Assault Vest it gives longevity to my T-Tar but no Dragon Dance, Tyranitarite provides me with a beefed up T-Tar who will surely survive most STAB's thrown it's way but then I lose Mega-Latios and Rockium Z was just the best of both worlds for me considering just how devastating Continental Crush on T-Tar is.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Iron Head
The janitor in this team and truly the inspiration to it because I wanted T-Tar to be a part of the team and Exca works so damn well with him. Rock Slide with Sand Rush and with the amount of damage output I get out of Exca checks Zapdos and with it's chance of flinching has won me some games in decisive decisions. Earthquake is a bit dangerous considering I almost aways have T-Tar next to Excadrill when either one of them are out but that's what Protect is there for.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate/Aerilate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 60 SpD / 98 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
Now we get to the more controversial choices in my team. The EV spread was taken from a set I had seen here in the forums and while it hasn't really been of much use to me, I'm leaning more towards getting rid completely of Salamence and going to something a little simpler like Amoongus or just Landorus-T for Intimidate replacement and it'll work better in sand. Substitute but it forces me to sacrifice 252 Ev's into HP and only really having Double-Edge makes it difficult to work with due to Rock, Steel and Ghost types. Overall, it definitely needs some work or to be removed entirely and I'm leaning more towards the latter since it spends such little time in the limelight.

Gyarados @ Waterium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Dragon Dance
This my second and definitely the Pokemon that sees little to no usage in Battle Spot Doubles. A solid intimidate user and with physical water damage it does only a little more than the rest of my team already does provide.

AFTERTHOUGHTS

To conclude this, I'd like to thank all that took the time to read through this and a future thanks in advance to those who are willing to give input and help me gain some more insight as to what I can do to improve this team. I'd like to note that there are some changes I'm already thinking of that could work just to up the ante in covering meta that is prominent in BS Doubles. I look forward to continuing to improve my battle decisions and to grow as a better player. I spent so much time in Singles and playing Doubles has now revitalized competitive for me. I was absolutely dominated by Trick Room and persevered to adapt and overcome that and now face new but not impossible challenges such as playing against Rain Teams and bulky Water-types with a team that is so susceptible to water damage and ice damage.

Thundurus @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Latios @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Surf

Tyranitar @ Rockium Z
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Iron Head

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate-Aerilate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 60 SpD / 98 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Gyarados @ Waterium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Dragon Dance

Hi, i do like this sand core, even though it's - definitely - weak to Rain cores.

Adding a Grass-type could help here. I'd probably remove Thundurus and since you use it as a check to TR teams due to Taunt you could probably try this instead:

@ Wiki Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 68 HP / 20 Def / 180 SpA / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Protect
- Taunt
- Glare / Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power Fire / Torment

Amoongus too could be a great add, since it synergize very well here and it offers tools vs both Rain and TR cores.

@ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

This also has the ability to redirect attacks thanks to Rage Powder, and since you have a lot of setup sweepers, it could really give a hand.

I'd probably go with Amoongus here, but Serperior could be a decent option too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)