Project Research Week: SM PU Edition - Week 16 (Poliwrath and Ludicolo)

What would you like to see for next research week?

• Challenge Week (read rules if you don't know what I mean by this)

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Regular Week

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to collect some Shiftry replays and play around with the mon more. Might be more of a ZU showcase than PU, but we'll see. Not planning on making a new alt to compete against one person again :P

Poliwrath:
This pokemon can run physical or special sets. Its ability swift swim allows it to overcome its base speed of 70 and outspeed many key threats.
Poliwrath has good bulk (90/95/90) and has some key resistances to rock and fire. It has many good coverage moves to hit its checks, such as Ice Beam and Ice Punch for grass pokemon, Earthquake for electric pokemon, and HP Grass for gastrodon if it becomes common. In addition, special Poliwrath can run vacuum wave for priority. Poliwrath's main problem is that it faces heavy competition from Kingler for physical sets and special Poliwrath's special attack is too low (70). Here are two sets. Life orb is preferred over choice items to switch moves, but waterium z could also work.
Special: Focus Blast and Hydro Pump are the stabs, vacuum wave is for priority, and ice beam is for coverage.
Poliwrath @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Vacuum Wave
Physical: R
Poliwrath @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Ludiculo
Another pokemon that loves the rain. Pair it up with Liepard or Volbeat for prankster rain. This set uses waterium z to hit like a nuke. Giga drain is for health recovery and energy ball is for higher stab damage. Ice Beam is for flying and grass types. The good thing about Ludiculo is that Gastrodon, usually a stop to rain teams, cannot stand up to grass moves. Grass/Water also means Ludiculo can stand up to Ferroseed because of a leech seed immunity and a gyro ball resistance. Other good moves include rain dance (to set up rain manually) and focus blast (to nail Ferroseed). The main problem with Ludiculo is that grass has many weaknesses, so switching in directly on another pokemon may be problematic.
Ludicolo @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
If I can find rain replays, I will post them.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-728633986
Here's one. It shows proof of concept concerning ludiculo and poliwrath in rain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)