Real Life Applications of Pokemon

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I can imagine using Psychic and Ghost Types in interrogations as well as torture, mental therapy, work involving heavy lifting, and the sciences

basically, in the real world Psychic types, Electric Types (which basically negate the need for Fire Types), Grass Types (foodstuffs), Flying/Water Types (transport), and Fighting Types (stuff needing heavy lifting like construction or mining) are the only ones we rlly need

of course the Legendaries would also be useful, like Groudon making more land rise out of the ocean for populations, Kyogre making desert wastelands liveable, Rayquaza stopping hurricanes and shit, Dialga allowing us to go back in time and avert disasters, Palkia helping us create teleportation technology, Giratina giving us an inifnite free source of antimatter to study, Arceus being God would help us with everything

This thread reminds me of that underrated "Moves for a living" TV show in the Gen 5 games that explains what a move does and gives the move a really funny and ridiculous use for everyday life. Here are some gems:

Reflect type: "This works really well if you're spending time with someone and you decide you have nothing in common. Use this move and... Voilà! Instant common ground!"

Low Sweep: "It can also be handy in everyday life. Just imagine a lady wearing a short skirt, and she has to kick someone... She can use this move without causing any embarrassment to herself." LMAO

Venoshock: "Sometimes, when you're cooking, you dish just needs a little extra pinch of something. Well, you can see how using this move quickly could add a dangerous flavor!"

Absol could be useful in helping to predict disasters while the flying types and pokemon with teleport can help to move the people to safety before the disaster occurs. In case some people are stuck under I can see fighting and physic types helping to clear the debris while flying types carrying people to safety.

As much as I despise it but pokemon could be really useful in war. I can imagine charizard, salamence & other flying types covered in armour shooting strong attacks like flamethrower and hyper beam. While stuff like blastoise, gyarados could be useful in the navy.

Reactions: JES

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Absol could be useful in helping to predict disasters while the flying types and pokemon with teleport can help to move the people to safety before the disaster occurs. In case some people are stuck under I can see fighting and physic types helping to clear the debris while flying types carrying people to safety.
The problem with this is that Absol doesn't tell you exactly what's going to happen, just that something is going to happen. It would definitely help, but you can't prepare for everything.

As much as I despise it but pokemon could be really useful in war. I can imagine charizard, salamence & other flying types covered in armour shooting strong attacks like flamethrower and hyper beam. While stuff like blastoise, gyarados could be useful in the navy.
I always thought this was both interesting and boring (I know that's paradoxical, roll with it). It's interesting because we don't see it in the games themselves and we've had a few hints that it's happened before, but boring because it's incredibly obvious how they'd be used.

So I just read something!

According to "A Sneak Peek at Pokémon", a video released in America giving a preview of Pokémon before it came out, Pikachu is a constant current source able to deliver a constant 1 kA.

That means, given this is true, Pikachu is able to electrocute an average person with about 0.1 TW of power (Power = Resistance * Current^2 and the Resistance of a human is about 100,000 ohms). Which, Wolfram-Alpha helpfully points out is about a quarter of the electric power produced by all nuclear power plants or also about 1/23 the global power consumption.

I could probably easily hook up something to charge up a battery for my house given a good sized resistor bank in series with the battery. I need about 16,000 kWh or so to power my entire house for a year. If my Pikachu can only provide constant current like that for even 6 seconds out of every hour and can only work for 12 hours a day, I still produce 83,333 kWh or about 5x the energy I need. Hell, I can cut back on the resistance by 5 and save room there.

And Pikachu is weak compared to other electric types.

So I just read something!

According to "A Sneak Peek at Pokémon", a video released in America giving a preview of Pokémon before it came out, Pikachu is a constant current source able to deliver a constant 1 kA.

That means, given this is true, Pikachu is able to electrocute an average person with about 0.1 TW of power (Power = Resistance * Current^2 and the Resistance of a human is about 100,000 ohms). Which, Wolfram-Alpha helpfully points out is about a quarter of the electric power produced by all nuclear power plants or also about 1/23 the global power consumption.

I could probably easily hook up something to charge up a battery for my house given a good sized resistor bank in series with the battery. I need about 16,000 kWh or so to power my entire house for a year. If my Pikachu can only provide constant current like that for even 6 seconds out of every hour and can only work for 12 hours a day, I still produce 83,333 kWh or about 5x the energy I need. Hell, I can cut back on the resistance by 5 and save room there.

And Pikachu is weak compared to other electric types.
What's especially interesting about this is that people have repeatedly been shown to be hit by electric attacks in the anime and they turn up just fine, indicating that humans in the pokemon world may be significantly more resilient than we are.

Bring a water pokemon to the desert, along with a grass pokemon. Boom, instant oasis.

Lt. Surge mentioned how he used Electric Type Pokemon in the war, so it isn't impossible. Electric Types such as Raichu or Jolteon would be able to paralyze enemies, and Electric Types are also often fast, so they would be harder to hit as well

Magikarp is the most useful Pokemon though, imagine all the possibilities!

or literally just drop thousands of voltorbs primed to explode onto opposing nations, do u know how easy it would be to mass breed those suckers
Why not Electrode? They are stronger. Fire off a few Thunderbolts before exploding. Also, you might be able to use certain Steel Type Pokemon as shields? I don't know, although it would be cool to have an Aggron-Mega literally tank everything letting you do your own thing.

In a less death related field, the Aron line could really be useful in modern building demolition. Hell, an Aggron's Iron Tail attack could probably come in like a wrecking ball (I'd love to see Miley Cirus ride THAT) and they all eat metal so it would be good at removing some of the less usable scrap pieces.

Meanwhile, Munchlax eats nearly anything. A bunch of them could probably gnaw down an entire building.

Joltik could probably be used to siphon power from lines to ensure that a section of wiring doesn't have any leftover voltage hanging around when they're messing with the wiring.

So maybe I'm overthinking and overnerding this but I actually grew up on a farm so feel I have something of value to add- to everyone saying ooh we have grass pokemon for food they're forgetting the actual sustainability of the animal itself. And it's abundance in actual pokemon lore.

Take for example tropius. For one they are relatively rare in the pokemon world. Farming them for mass production and a sustainable society would be akin to farming giraffes for meat.
Two, they have wings, meaning containing your crop proves another issue. At any time they could all just fly off to a more appropriate climate.
Three you have to actually feed and water the creature. Just because they are a grass type does not mean they purely exist on photosynthesis. Tropius being based on dinosaurs would suggest perhaps they are herbivores that produce fruit as a by product of the nutrients they produce? This means you have to have an existing crop for them to graze.
Four, these are large animals that take up space. The yield of a few bananas per creature does not seem worth the payoff of the enormous amount of land needed to feed even a small population of people.

We also know from pokemon lore that a trainer can not carry more than 6 pokemon at a time and they have been yet to be shown controlling more than 3 at once. So the domesticity of a flock of animals is different to the domesticity of a pet. A herd of cattle is different to your pet dog. This surely would also be represented in the pokemon world so any animals used in farming and produce would have to be controllable by the farmer.

Rather I think if pokemon existed they would work as a "technology" to asist traditional means of living. Think growing traditional crops that we have in the real world, but using sandshrew to til and plant and work the soil as opposed to tractors and heavy machinery. Use poison types as a way of warding off any flocks of hopip or pidgey that may come in to eat your crops

I like the idea of using pokemon in wars like in a brief cameo of the lucario and the mystery of mew movie. I also like the idea of using flying/dragon/psychic/water types to transport us

Reactions: JES
My theory involved what would happen if Pokemon and humans lived in the same world from the beginning and was basically that natural selection would cause humans to die because everything else survived better, but your post made me realize that even though the background I imagined was the most realistic, (unless genetic programming of the future proves me wrong) it was the only one where humans were likely go extincted. I recall hearing in one or more games that it's rumored that Pokemon come from space. If that happened, and if they came around after humans have advance far enough to protect themselves, then the Pokemon world we think of happening makes sense. (Also, my theory on humans dieing quickly now only applies only to every other animal on earth. That means death to squirrels, but it's worth it. :P) As for genetic advances, due to Pokemon being around for thousands of years before the games take place, I think we can rule that out as a possible background for the world in the games, (except for Mewtwo and Genecect) but if Pokemon being made through genetic programming happened in this world, a similar world to the one in the games would probably result. The only differences I can think of are there would be no legends and no extinction of squirrels.
There is also the possibility that some Pokémon were just far too strong, and had too much will, to be controlled. Whether they came from space, or were the result of genetic manipulation, some military, government, and/or terrorist organization likely would try to come in and take over.

The trouble: Kyogre breaks free of the Blue Orb's control, causing massive flooding and tsunamis, just like in the movie 2012, and that alone would reset civilization, but then Groudon also breaks free, causing massive tectonic activity, destroying, and burying most, if not all signs of past human civilizations in lava earth, also just like 2012.

You might even have a Moltres, Articuno, and Zapdos breaking free from imprisonment, and attacking each other and their tormentors, adding to the chaos.

There is even the possibility that almost everyone died, that this is where the legend of Pokémon tears came into play, reviving most (but not all) species, and maybe whoever wasn't buried, incinerated, or at the bottom of the ocean. What few technological devices that survived would likely eventually stop working, and become nothing more than legend, or destroyed as the new reset civilizations fought over resources. I always thought that Pokélantis might have been one of those civilizations that managed to salvage ancient advanced technology.

If not for the fact that it has been explicitly stated that Pokémon have been around for millions of years, the series could easily be thousands or hundreds of thousands of years in our future, and all that we know has been destroyed. The Elgyem and or Clefable (or even Arceus) could have transplanted them all from a dying world (it must take billions of years to be able to use elements like that anyways). Apparently, not everyone got along on Earth.

I think that this has all but been confirmed in flashbacks for the war in Kalos 3000 years ago, and in Lucario and the Tree of Life.

Last edited:
We have a new concept from Game Freak themselves, shown in the reveal trailer for Sun and Moon:

In the bottom left corner, you can see a Blastoise being used instead of a hose you would normally see on a fire truck, which is absolutely awesome (and shows why I've always loved Blastoise more than Charizard).

Two things tbh can be confirmed true if Pokémon is real.

1. Anyone has heard of the Pikachu - coma - theory? If you haven't read this, if you have, skip one paragraph.

The Pikachu coma theory says that when the first time (or probably second or third) Pikachu had used thunderbolt/shock on Ash in the anime, he went to coma and whatever has happened in the anime is a dream of ash in his coma.

That's like too-much-true as getting into coma with 100,000 volts of electricity is well OBVIOUS.

2. Ash has been burnt by the flamethrower of Charizard so many times and was forever perfect. MFW. Only inhumans can survive fire which can melt rocks.* Smh.

* As written in the Pokédex.

Another thing. You have ants at your home. Wait are they a group of Durants? GG. Have a nice team killing the group of durants. Just imagining that durants are enough to become a RU suspect and a group of 'em can kill Arceus. What are humans in front of 'em? xD

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
1. Anyone has heard of the Pikachu - coma - theory? If you haven't read this, if you have, skip one paragraph.
Everybody has heard of it, it's probably one of the most well-known fan theories.

The Pikachu coma theory says that when the first time (or probably second or third) Pikachu had used thunderbolt/shock on Ash in the anime, he went to coma and whatever has happened in the anime is a dream of ash in his coma.

That's like too-much-true as getting into coma with 100,000 volts of electricity is well OBVIOUS.
Not exactly brushed up on my electricity science, but that sounds like it would kill you before it would put you in a coma. Assuming literal shock can even cause comas.

2. Ash has been burnt by the flamethrower of Charizard so many times and was forever perfect. MFW. Only inhumans can survive fire which can melt rocks.* Smh.

* As written in the Pokédex.
Rule of Funny is why he survives unscathed.

The theory in general is full of holes, but that's not within the scope of this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)