1. The moderators of this forum are Nexus, .com, religiousjedi, shiny finder, and TheMantyke.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Welcome to Wi-Fi! Please remember to read the rules and do NOT create a new thread for simple trades or Friend Safari codes.
  4. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

[READ ME] Tips for Simple Hack Checks

Discussion in 'Wi-Fi' started by TheMantyke, Jan 26, 2014.

1. flargananddingle

flargananddingle L+R+START
    is a Pre-Contributor

Not for trade here
  2. LegoFigure11

LegoFigure11 :thinking:
    is a Community Contributor

If you'd bothered to read the rules, you'd already know the answer to this...
    Here's the relevant bit, but I highly recommend that you read the rest of them as well:
  3. Mr.Pooh31

Mr.Pooh31

ok thank you!
  4. TheHoundofDoom

TheHoundofDoom

Language: english Species:Pheromosa OT: WTG ID No.: 000282 IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31 EVs (optional): Ability: beast boost Pokemon's name: Pheromosa Gender: Level: 60 Pokeball: beast ball Shiny?: no Pentagon?: yes Moves: triple kick/ lunge/ bug buzz/ me first Nature: adamant Region of origin: Characteristic: Alert to sounds Ribbons: Other comments (optional): from verdant cavern, and met at 12/29/2016
  5. tada

tada

Seeing as there's no way to know if a pokemon came from the GTS or Wondertrade what good does it do to request that that be listed on an pokemon for trade on a trade shop/thread?

Also after reading this: Smogon's definition of hacking is the following- Hacking is the use of any external device in order to modify the game and the game data in any sort of way.
    I have to wonder just how rng manipulation is allowed anywhere on here. While it doesn't change the pokemon per say, it does make it more likely to get shiny ones which is changing the game on a greater level.
  6. Exploits

Exploits

If you don't know the OT assume it's a hack, especially given the incredibly low odds of catching 6x31.
  7. flargananddingle

is a Pre-Contributor

I mean it's kind of an honor system? Also if you haven't bred it yourself the odds of you offering something illegal (which seems to be more egg moves than anything else currently) are much higher, and you're still responsible for it if you trade it.

RNG doesn't directly alter data in any way. There's no editing involved, its simply using external tools to allow you to work (within the game mechanics) to your advantage. You find a seed and frame you need and use things allowed by the game in order to reach that point.

Also, in general, this isn't really a discussion thread...it's a tool for people checking the legitimacy of specific pokemon using the format set forth in the OP.
    LegoFigure11 likes this.
  8. christopher_ 1942

christopher_ 1942

Pardon me for doing this again because I want to be on the safe side but I need to make sure if the Wimpod and Drampa I got from the Wonder Trade is A-OK before I start putting it in the Pokemon Nursery to breed.

Language: JPN
    Species: Wimpod
    OT: (Japanese Name)
    ID No.: 178671
    IVs: HP = Very Good/Attack = Best/Defense = Best/Sp.Atk = Best/Sp.Def = Best/Speed = Decent
    EVs (optional): None
    Ability: Wimp Out
    Pokemon's name: (Japanese Name)
    Level: 1
    Pokeball: Premier Ball
    Shiny?: No
    Pentagon?: +
    Moves: Struggle Bug/Sand Attack
    Nature: Adamant
    Region of origin: Alola
    Characteristic: Somewhat vain
    Ribbons: None
    Other comments (optional): None

Language: ENG
    Species: Drampa
    OT: Dr. Genzo
    ID No.: 061423
    IVs: HP = Best/Attack = Very Good/Defense = Best/Sp.Atk = Pretty good/Sp.Def = Best/Speed = Very good
    EVs (optional): None
    Ability: Berserk
    Pokemon's name: Drampa
    Level: 1
    Pokeball: Timer Ball
    Shiny?: No
    Moves: Play Nice/Echoed Voice/Mist
    Nature: Modest
    Region of origin: Alola
    Characteristic: Capable of taking hits
    Other comments (optional): None

Apologies for the IV sections but it's difficult to calculate the IVs of a Level 1 Pokemon on the IV Calculator.
  9. flargananddingle

is a Pre-Contributor

There's really no outward signs of these being hacked. Nothing would even really suggest that they are. Again they just seem like random spit backs.

If you're so concerned with making sure your parents are legitimate(which you should be), I would recommend you simply don't use the things you obtain via Wonder Trade as, generally speaking, these are the kinds of things you're going to get. There are plenty of people offering these things (or better) here on Smogon where you will at least know the source (or you could always catch them yourself)
  10. christopher_ 1942

christopher_ 1942

Okay. Thank you very much.
  11. flargananddingle

is a Pre-Contributor

For future reference, look at these things using a "3Ls" approach
    • Legitimacy
    • Legality
    • Likelihood
    For legitimacy you're looking for any outward sign of the Pokemon being impossible to obtain. Whether it's an unreleased ability, a shiny of a Pokemon that is shiny locked, impossible pokeball, or simply requires a feature that's currently unavailable (pokebank in the case of gen 7 games is most common).

To check it's Legality you're looking for something that may not be as obvious. Most cases of this in gen 7 would be egg moves unobtainable without bank ( shiny finder has a pretty comprehensive list here ). You'll also be looking at things like hatch location or where the Pokemon was met.

Finally, likelihood is usually one of the most glaring aspects of hacking though often the most overlooked because it falls outside of provable in a lot of cases. Yes, it is possible to obtain a 6iv shiny imposter Ditto, but the likelihood is incredibly low. And then the likelihood is lower still that someone would just be tossing something like that on Wonder Trade. Is there a chance that it could be real? Yes...a very small one. In these cases it's generally better to treat these as hacks, especially when considering using them to breed from or trade here.

Sorry for such a long winded answer but ya know...teach a man to fish and all that.

Also a disclaimer that a lot of this applies to gen 7 only...rngs and things like that can be sorted by more knowledgeable people than myself, using pkhex or data from rngreporter
  12. christopher_ 1942

christopher_ 1942

Now that's some really useful information to remember. I'll remember the 3 Ls when it comes to battling and trading. Once again, thanks.

Fun fact, I actually managed to find and catch a shiny Ditto with some max IVs when I was Ally Chaining for those I can use to breed Pokemon.
    flargananddingle likes this.
  13. SegFault_92

SegFault_92

I received these two from GTS:

Language: Japan
    Species: Gengar (it was an Haunter when I received it)
    OT: (japanese words)
    ID No.: 591172
    IVs: Hp decent / Atk decent / Def decent / SpA pretty good / SpD decent / Spe decent
    EVs (optional):
    Ability: cursed body
    Pokemon's name: Gengar
    Level: 31
    Pokeball: beast ball
    Shiny?: no
    Moves: night shade / confuse ray / sucker punch / payback
    Nature: careful
    Region of origin: alola
    Characteristic: very finicky
    Ribbons: none
    Other comments (optional):

Language: english
    Species: Slowking
    OT: Garbis
    ID No.: 709077
    IVs: Hp decent / Atk decent / Def pretty good / SpA pretty good / SpD pretty good / Spd pretty good
    EVs (optional):
    Ability: oblivious
    Pokemon's name: Slowking
    Level: 24
    Pokeball: beast ball
    Shiny?: no
    Moves: water gun / confusion / disable / headbutt
    Nature: timid
    Region of origin: alola
    Characteristic: strong willed
    Ribbons: none
    Other comments (optional):

As far as I can tell IVs and movesets seem legit to me. The only possibly suspicious thing is them being in a beast ball.
    Can I use them as parents for breeding, to pass down the beast ball?
  14. awiec

awiec

While the catch rate for beast ball is low, it is certainly possible and yes it can be passed down. If you want to be safe and catch your own, you can give the beast balls to some pokemon (so your inventory is depleted) and then talk to Looker and he will give you more as long as you haven't caught/killed all the ultra beasts. Rinse and repeat until you get the amount you want or just do the item duplication code with a power save. That power save code is generally accepted in WiFi but you should always disclose that you do use that code.
  15. Regiultima115

Regiultima115

Looker actually keeps giving you Beast Balls even after you show him Necrozma's Dex data.
  16. awiec

awiec

Well that is even better.
  17. TheMantyke

TheMantyke what if he kicks the ghost
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

With Bank looming, I decided to create a Gen 7 Pokeball Legality guide to place in the OP soon. Please let me know if there are any mistakes. Also, if anyone knows if Nidoran M can or cannot pass down its ball to Nidoran F, let me know.

Gen 7 Pokeball Legality Guide
    Spencertje, LegoFigure11 and Sondero like this.
  18. SSJSonikku

SSJSonikku

I would like to find out if this Shiny Manaphy is legit. Got it from trade last night and seemed to good to be true.

Language: German
    Species: Manaphy
    OT: Nami
    ID No.: 15940
    IVs: x/31/x/x/x/x
    Ability: Hydration
    Pokemon's name: Manaphy
    Level: 2
    Pokeball: PokeBall
    Shiny?: Yes
    Pentagon?: No
    Moves: Tail Glow, Bubble, Water Sport
    Nature: Gentle
    Region of origin: Sinnoh
    Characteristic: Proud of its power
  19. awiec

awiec

I presume this is from a 6th gen trade right? Can't get one in SuMo yet due to bank...

There are multiple 4th gen events where you get a manphy egg and I don't think those were shiny locked. Seeing as it only has 1 max Iv and a non competative nature, it could be legitimate.
  20. TheMantyke

TheMantyke what if he kicks the ghost
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I would side with the Manaphy not being legitimate. While it's true that the 4th gen event isn't shiny locked, getting a shiny Manaphy involves trading it to a save file where the egg will actually hatch shiny. Knowing this information is extremely difficult and a massive effort to do without RNG manipulation, involving soft resetting a gen 4 game file to trade with every time the Manaphy doesn't hatch correctly. This doesn't look like an RNG manipulated Pokemon at all at any rate, as an RNG manipulation would likely also take the time to obtain flawless IVs.

Unless you can tie this Pokemon to someone who took that effort, I'd say it's far more likely this was generated or altered to be shiny.
    Sondero and LegoFigure11 like this.
  21. SSJSonikku

SSJSonikku

I did get the Manaphy in gen 6, yes.

Is it possible for someone to check if it was altered or not?
  22. Sondero

Sondero Giveaway Extraordinaire
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor

You could check the exact IVs and the PID (or have someone else check that for you) then use RNG reporter to see if the PID and IV spread could legally be generated. But that wouldn't prove that it's legitimate, only legal. If you want my personal advide, I recommend that you just assume it's hacked and move on.
    LegoFigure11 likes this.
  23. Doll Hime

Doll Hime

Hello there! I stumbled upon this thread and while it helped me pin down which Pokémon out of my WT ones are hacked or not, there are still two that don't "seem" to be hacked but I wanted to have someone else's opinion on them anyway. I like them very much and wanted to send them to my Moon, but I don't feel like risking it if there's something odd about these two.

Language: English
    Species: Milotic
    OT: Ramon
    ID No.: 11781
    IVs: 6IV
    EVs (optional): 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk, 2 Sp. Def
    Ability: Marvel Scale
    Pokemon's name: Milotic
    Level: 100
    Pokeball: Dream Ball
    Pentagon?: Yes
    Moves: Recover, Mirror Coat, Ice Beam, Scald
    Nature: Bold
    Region of origin: Kalos
    Characteristic: Mischievous
    Other comments (optional): It's stated on her profile that she was an egg hatched at Lumiose City on 6/9/2014.

Language: German
    Species: Whimsicott
    OT: Sakati.TV
    ID No.: 18982
    IVs: 6IV
    EVs (optional): 252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 6 Def
    Ability: Prankster
    Pokemon's name: Elfun
    Level: 100
    Pokeball: Dusk Ball
    Pentagon?: Yes
    Moves: Substitute, Protect, Leech Seed, Toxic
    Nature: Calm
    Region of origin: Hoenn
    Characteristic: Mischievous
    Other comments (optional): It's stated on her profile that she was an egg hatched at the Battle Resort on 8/8/2015.
  24. Johta

Johta

Uh, I don't see anything wrong with either pokemon so for all intents and purposes they're at the very least legal. But if I were to give you an personal advice, it would be this: always assume that shinies, or just valuable pokemon in general, you get off Wonder Trade (which, I assume, is where you got these pokemon from) are hacks since you cannot trackdown their legitimacy.
    Doll Hime likes this.
  25. Usernamesarestupid

Usernamesarestupid

The Whimiscott is hacked. The OT (Sakati.TV) comes from a livestreamer who has previously given away hacked Pokemon.
    Doll Hime likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)