Rain continues to fall... [Ubers Warstory]

NB: This battle actually took place a while back, but because of few troublesome delays, I was unable to write/post this until now. Inspired by r0fl’s warstory.

Introduction...

It was around 7PM, and I was mucking around on Pokelab to quell my 'insatiable boredom'. After nagging a couple people for VGC battles, I grew tired and started searching the Ubers ladder for some worthy opponent. Unfortunately for me, I did find one, but he was on a completely different level...

After getting pwned countless times and not a single victory on my part, I was left in a confined rage state. Spurred by my frustration, I, once more, took my hand to the mouse and clicked the 'find' tab, hoping, to no avail, that some noob might go onto the ladder and settle my escalating feeling of incompetence.

But, once again, the pokelab server matched me with the same frustrating opponent...

My team (additional details can be found here)

NB.2 : Gritane's team will be revealed at the end of the warstory, scroll down if you like, although be warned, it does take away from the ending.
Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause

Commence Battle!

Gritane sent out Kyogre (lvl 100 Kyogre)!
daunting sent out Darkrai (lvl 100 Darkrai)!
Kyogre's Drizzle caused a storm!
Rain began to fall!
===============
-100%
-100%

Gritane...again! I'm fairly well acquainted with Gritane's lead from our previous matches, and so, I'm 99% sure of a Lum berry voiding my dark void. My only sure-fire counter to Kyogre is Palkia and ergo, it is my only switch-in. Hopefully, Gritane doesn't predict this and use thunder...

@Gritane: lol x)

daunting withdrew Darkrai!
daunting sent out Palkia (lvl 100 Palkia)!
Palkia is exerting its Pressure!
Kyogre used Hydro Pump!
It's not very effective...
Palkia lost 21% of its health!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
-79%
-100%

He lols at the fact that this maybe perhaps my 10th match-up (and perhaps my 10th loss!) against him. Anyway, the match kicks off and the start is somewhat desirable, as Palkia comes in with its 4x resist to hydro pump, proving my hunch on the Lum berry correct. Predicting the switch, I decide to throw a spacial rend haphazardly, hoping that it might strike some unsuspecting Garchomp/Latios expecting the thunder.

@daunting: lol indeed

Palkia used Spacial Rend!
Kyogre lost 39% of its health!
Kyogre used Thunder!
Palkia lost 40% of its health!
Palkia is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
-37% (paralysed)
-61%

I express my distaste at the notion of another loss, and just as well, the worst possible outcome occurs... I outpredicted myself! My spacial rend hits Kyogre for laughable damage, while Kyogre in turn strikes with a wicked bolt of lightning, paralysing my scarfed Palkia for the duration of the match.

Kyogre used Thunder!
Palkia lost 37% of its health!
Palkia fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
daunting sent out Shaymin-s (lvl 100 Shaymin-s)!
===============
5-6 Gritane Up
-100%
-0%
-61%

Gritane's mighty leviathan draws first blood. Some may question why I left in Palkia to die, but there really weren't many other options, as a paralyzed revenge killer, will hardly be doing any more revenging. I decide to bring in Shaymin-S (having back-up revengers pays off!) to finish the job and this time I'll play it safe.

Gritane withdrew Kyogre!
Gritane sent out Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?)!
Shaymin-s used Seed Flare!
Scizor lost 12% of its health!
Scizor's special defence was harshly lowered!
Rain continues to fall.
Scizor's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Scizor regained 6% of its health!
===============
-100%
-94%

Scizor, along with its 4x resist, eats the somewhat obvious seed flare and threatens to 2HKO/ OHKO with Bullet punch and U-turn respectively, along with Shaymin-S's Scarf; my hand is pretty much forced. My Scizor/ Dialga are currently the most logical switch-ins.

daunting withdrew Shaymin-s!
daunting sent out Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?)!
Scizor used U-turn!
Scizor lost 16% of its health!
Gritane withdrew Scizor!
Scizor went back to Gritane!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
-84%
-61%

I decide to unveil Dialga later, so I bring in my own Scizor, with its 2x resist to both Bullet punch and U-turn to take the hit. I check the damage output from the U-turn and I feel genuinly surprised at the fact it’s not a CB Scizor, SD with U-turn...perhaps? Anyway, Gritane uses the free switch-in to once again bring Kyogre's foreboding sprite back into play, leaving me in a tough situation.

daunting withdrew Scizor!
daunting sent out Dialga (lvl 100 Dialga)!
Dialga is exerting its Pressure!
Kyogre used Hydro Pump!
Dialga lost 48% of its health!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
-52%
-61%

I decide to save Scizor for later and bring in my only remaining pokemon that can survive a Hydro Pump in the rain from that beastly Kyogre, with Palkia all but gone. Dialga takes the hydro pump and survives on barely half HP. I can't afford to take risks with any other move and I simply Thunder, hoping to KO Kyogre or at least cripple it beyond repair.

Gritane withdrew Kyogre!
Gritane sent out Shaymin-s (lvl 100 Shaymin-s)!
Dialga used Thunder!
Shaymin-s lost 64% of its health!
Rain continues to fall.
Shaymin-s's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Shaymin-s regained 6% of its health!
===============
-52%
-42%

Gritane returns Kyogre and misjudgedly brings in his own Shaymin-S (maybe expecting Dialga to set up stealth rock?) to the thunder, removing well over half Skymin's HP. At this point, I'm regretting why I didn't get up SR earlier in the match as that would have left Shaymin-S in a checkmate position. Not willing to take my chances with lady luck, I switch in Scizor, to take any move, and KO back with bullet punch.

daunting withdrew Dialga!
Shaymin-s used Earth Power!
Scizor lost 25% of its health!
Scizor's special defence was lowered!
Rain continues to fall.
Shaymin-s's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Shaymin-s regained 6% of its health!
===============
-59%
-48%

My Scizor comes in on an earth power, ready to KO it back with bullet punch. I'm hoping that Shaymin-S might be lulled into attacking with air slash for the KO, as a result of the SpD drop, since I just realised that it was running leftovers recovery.

Gritane withdrew Shaymin-s!
Scizor used Bullet Punch!
Scizor lost 22% of its health!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
-59% (My Scizor)
-78%

No such luck, Gritane safely switches to his Scizor, ready to take any/all assaults from my Scizor. I'm feeling a bit annoyed by the fact that I didn't predict the switch and use Superpower. But, meh... no point dwelling on mistakes, I decide to switch to Groudon, to take the U-turn and brighten up this gloomy day.

daunting withdrew Scizor!
daunting sent out Groudon (lvl 100 Groudon)!
Groudon's Drought intensified the sun's rays!
The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Scizor used U-turn!
A critical hit!
Groudon lost 34% of its health!
Gritane withdrew Scizor!
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!
Scizor went back to Gritane!
Rain continues to fall.
Groudon's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Groudon regained 6% of its health!
===============
-72%
-61%

Once again, Kyogre sails in on the free switch-in, dispelling any false sense of security inhabiting the heart of my pokes. No other pokemon in my team can take a STAB hydro pump at their current HP, so a sacrifice may be in order. Realising that Scizor's current value in this battle is very low/non-existant, it is perhaps, the obvious candidate for my sacrifice.

daunting withdrew Groudon!
Kyogre used Hydro Pump!
A critical hit!
Scizor lost 57% of its health!
Scizor fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
4-6 Gritane up
-100%
-0%
-61%

Scizor bites the dust, and like many times before, I'm left in an awkward situation. The score is now 4-6 and I realise that if Kyogre is not removed any time soon, it will proceed to decimate my team. I switch in Shaymin-S and I realise that Gritane is probably aware of my current weakness to his Kyogre and will undoubtably switch. Since the opponent has 2- 4x resists to grass, I decide to Air slash, hopefully catching a flinch on Kyogre if it stays in, as well as doing some actual damage to Gritane's Scizor/ Shaymin-S.

Gritane withdrew Kyogre!
Shaymin-s used Air Slash!
Scizor lost 35% of its health!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
-100%
-55%
Scizor comes in on the air slash and the attack only strips off a third of Scizor's HP. Recalling the low damage output from U-turn before, I make the decision to stay in and finish off Scizor once and for all.

Shaymin-s lost 30% of its health!
Scizor lost 31% of its health!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
Shaymin-s lost 35% of its health!
Scizor lost 18% of its health!
Scizor fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
Gritane sent out Dialga (lvl 100 Dialga)!
===============
4-5 Gritane up
-35%
-100%
-0%

The 2 consecutive Bullet punches take their toll, and Shaymin is left on dangerously low HP. Gritane switches in his Dialga, threatening a powerful Draco meteor/dragon pulse. I decide to take the risk and switch-in Groudon (as it is the only poke on my team that can threaten Dialga), hopefully coming in on a support move like SR...

The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Dialga used Bulk Up!
Dialga's attack was raised!
Dialga's defence was raised!
The sunlight is strong.
===============
-78%
-100%

A Bulk up Dialga... Luckily, I took the liberty of investing 40 EVs into speed to outrun standard Ho-oh (recommended by Shrang), these EVs should suffice in outrunning the standard Bulk Up Dialga. I select EQ for hopefully the 2HKO, if not 3HKO on Dialga, and try to bring the amount of KOs on each side to a tie.

Groudon used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Dialga lost 54% of its health!
Dialga used Bulk Up!
Dialga's attack was raised!
Dialga's defence was raised!
The sunlight is strong.
Dialga's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Dialga regained 6% of its health!
===============
Groudon used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Dialga lost 39% of its health!
Dialga used Outrage!
Groudon lost 54% of its health!
The sunlight is strong.
Dialga's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Dialga regained 6% of its health!
===============
-42%
-18%

What a tank! Groudon takes only 54% from a +2 STAB Outrage, and EQ does enough damage to ensure that the next attack will KO Dialga. With Dialga locked into Outrage, Groudon has successfully secured one kill for my team.

Groudon used Earthquake!
A critical hit!
It's super effective!
Dialga lost 18% of its health!
Dialga fainted!
The sunlight is strong.
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!
===============
4-4 Tied game, xD
-42%
-61%
-0%

Groudon finishes off Dialga and rejoices... until Kyogre's face pokes in to see what all the commotion is about. Recalling Gritane's Kingdra from our previous game, I decide to save Groudon for late-game, and switch out to something else. At this point, I realise, that once again I must make a sacrifice. Due to the lack of walls on the opposing team, Stallbreaker-Dialga's role is questionable and thus (unfortunately) the candidate for the sacrifice is pre-emptively decided.

daunting withdrew Groudon!
daunting sent out Dialga (lvl 100 Dialga)!
Kyogre used Ice Beam!
Dialga lost 31% of its health!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
Kyogre used Ice Beam!
Dialga lost 19% of its health!
Dialga fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
3-4 Gritane up
-35%
-0%
-61%

Dialga's demise was imminent and once again, I switch in Shaymin-S to settle the blood feud between Kyogre. I select Air Slash over Seed Flare again, to try and hit any switch-ins for some real damage... as well as 2HKOing Kyogre if it chooses to stay in.

Gritane withdrew Kyogre!
Gritane sent out Shaymin-s (lvl 100 Shaymin-s)!
It's super effective!
Shaymin-s lost 47% of its health!
Shaymin-s fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
Gritane sent out Kingdra (lvl 100 Kingdra ?)!
===============
3-3 Tied game
-35% (My Shaymin-S)
-100%
-0%

Strike! Gritane, expecting the seed flare, switches in his own Shaymin-S to shrug off the hit with its 4x resist but meets a fatal air slash instead. At this point, I'm beginning to feel a rising sense of excitement, that is, until Kyogre's little brother... Kingdra enters the field. My Shaymin-S is running Max speed/ Modest /Choice Scarf, but it will be outrun, if Gritane's Kingdra also runs Max speed. Not willing to risk this speed tie, I decide to switch in my Groudon on the supposed DD to remove the rain and call forth the blazing sun!

The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Kingdra used Substitute!
Kingdra lost 25% of its health!
Kingdra made a substitute!
The sunlight is strong.
Kingdra's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Kingdra regained 6% of its health!
===============
-48%
-81%

Uh oh... Sub DD Kingdra, Groudon can't survive 2 Outrages at his current health. I decide to EQ to break the sub as there is no other option... Hopefully, he might DD...

Kingdra used Outrage!
Groudon lost 34% of its health!
Groudon used Earthquake!
Kingdra's substitute took damage for it!
Kingdra's substitute faded!
The sunlight is strong.
===============
Kingdra used Outrage!
Groudon lost 19% of its health!
Groudon fainted!
The sunlight is strong.
===============
2-3 Gritane up
-35%
-0%
-93%

Damn! If Kingdra had only DD'd, Groudon may have survived the +1 Outrage and retaliated back with EQ, weakening it for the revenge kill. Gritane plays well and 2HKOs Groudon, but I note a few factors in my favour. First, the sun cancels out Kingdra's swift swim, and second, Kingdra is locked into outrage, which means it can't switch! I bring in Shaymin-S...

Kingdra lost 45% of its health!
Kingdra flinched!
The sunlight is strong.
===============
-35%
-54%

This scenario would've been perfect, had it been not for the fact that Palkia had already fainted and also that none of Shaymin-S's moves can OHKO a Kingdra on near full HP. Seed flare won't OHKO, so my secondary option is Air slash with its haxy 60% chance of flinch, hopefully amounting to a 2HKO... and what luck, flinch! I'm not sure if the Outrage will continue to trap in Kingdra because of the flinch, hoping so...

Gritane withdrew Kingdra!
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!
Kyogre lost 29% of its health!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
Kyogre lost 31% of its health!
Kyogre fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
Gritane sent out Kingdra (lvl 100 Kingdra ?)!
===============
2-2 Tied game
-35%
-54%
-0%

So Outrage doesn't trap Kingdra... Anyway, Kyogre comes in to blot the sun out, for the last time. Gritane probably realises that as long as the rain continue to fall, Kingdra will secure for him his victory. Kyogre falls to the 2 Air slashes and Kingdra comes in... I'm still unsure about his last poke at this point, but I'm gripped with a surprising sense of anticipation. Hopefully, Gritane doesn't max out his speed EVs... Onward!

Kingdra used Outrage!
Shaymin-s lost 33% of its health!
Shaymin-s fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
daunting sent out Darkrai (lvl 100 Darkrai)!
===============
1-2 Gritane up
-100%
-0%
-60%

Urgh! No luck! Kingdra is max speed and Shaymin-S finally falls... My final pokemon is my lead Darkrai and just like Shaymin-S, is holding a choice scarf, but with a timid nature. I may have a sliver of a chance if Kingdra is not jolly...

Darkrai used Dark Pulse!
Kingdra lost 56% of its health!
Kingdra used Outrage!
Darkrai lost 68% of its health!
Kingdra became confused due to fatigue!
Kingdra became confused!
Rain continues to fall.
===============
-32%
-8%

Kingdra survives on a meagre 2% and deals a crippling 68% back with outrage. I realise that Darkrai is faster and so, I am not left without hope. The future looks bleak, and I can only hope that Gritane's last pokemon is weak to dark...

Darkrai used Dark Pulse!
Kingdra lost 8% of its health!
Kingdra fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
Gritane sent out Wobbuffet (lvl 100 Wobbuffet ?)!
===============
1-1 Tied game
-32%
-100%
-0%

Darkrai finishes off Kingdra and from the shadows...Wobbuffet protrudes its ugly face. At this point, I acknowledge the fact that I've probably lost, as I realise that Dark pulse will not OHKO wobbuffet, while wobbuffet will in fact OHKO back with a Mirror Coat.

I only have a small chance of winning, 26.25% to be exact, after factoring the possibility of a critical hit or a flinch. With these thoughts in mind, I prepare to say my ggs for the umpteenth time...

Darkrai used Dark Pulse!
It's super effective!
Wobbuffet lost 56% of its health!
Wobbuffet used Mirror Coat!

A number of things were coursing through my mind here, but I'll just sum it all up into one word.

"Aargh!!!!"

*Pause*

*More Pause*

Wobbuffet used Mirror Coat!
It doesn't affect Darkrai...
Rain continues to fall.
Wobbuffet's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Wobbuffet regained 6% of its health!
===============

OMFG! Mirror coat does not affect Darkrai!?!

Darkrai used Dark Pulse!
It's super effective!
Wobbuffet lost 50% of its health!
Wobbuffet fainted!
daunting wins!
===============
1-0 daunting wins!
-32%
-0%

Good game Gritane, I was seriously expecting another loss...

Anyway, time for Slops & Props!

Props

- Gritane, for pwning me in all our previous games and just being such an awesome player.
- Kyogre, for drowning half my team...
- (My) Shaymin-S, for surviving to the very (near) end and taking out 2 Pokes.
- RNG, for hardly any hax involved in our game.

Slops

- Me, for not realising that Mirror coat doesn't affect Darkrai...
- Palkia, for getting parahaxed and dying to the pokemon it was supposed to counter...
- (Gritane's) Dialga, for also dying too fast.
- And the rain, I hate the rain...

Gritane's team

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well it was a nice read but I kinda figured the ending when Wob did not make an appearance till the end. Kinda disappointing that Gritane could have quite pssiably managed to win. (ie if he had switched in Wob on Shaymin S instead of Kyogre then you can only pray for Flinch Hax to beat it before it kills you with Mirror Coat. Kyogre then beats Darkrai 1v1 unless Dark Pulse Flinch's it)

Anyway it was a nice Warstory and its an Uber one so even better. I look forward to seeing more from you.

An ok warstory, although the end was clear to me after Kingdra's demise. Mirror Coat is Psychic, so it doesn't affecr Dark types like a Darkrai.

well it was a nice read but I kinda figured the ending when Wob did not make an appearance till the end. Kinda disappointing that Gritane could have quite pssiably managed to win. (ie if he had switched in Wob on Shaymin S instead of Kyogre then you can only pray for Flinch Hax to beat it before it kills you with Mirror Coat. Kyogre then beats Darkrai 1v1 unless Dark Pulse Flinch's it)

Anyway it was a nice Warstory and its an Uber one so even better. I look forward to seeing more from you.
Thanks for the rate, I agree that Gritane made a couple of misplays and could have actually held another win over me. It seems that the ending was perhaps a bit obvious, maybe I should have revealed Gritane's team at the end, hm? Thanks again.

An ok warstory, although the end was clear to me after Kingdra's demise. Mirror Coat is Psychic, so it doesn't affecr Dark types like a Darkrai.
After Kingdra's 'demise'... At that point it was pretty much approaching endgame anyway and if you saw Gritane's team, you would have realised that he only had wobbuffet left and (as I found out) since Darkrai is immune to mirror coat then victory for me should have already been determined. This is the second of 2 comments who have said that they predicted the end... I think you've convinced me about moving Gritane's team to the bottom of the warstory, I'll go make some changes. Thanks for the rate anyway!

I'm glad I didn't read this until after you'd moved your opponent's team to the bottom of the page. I was really wondering if you could pull it off, and then he sent out out Wobb and I knew you had it.

Pretty good read, dude. =)

When you go down 4-6 and then Air Slash Scizor, you have his HP at 84% when he "lost 1/3 of his hp".

Aside from that, pretty decent warstory, although the ending shouldn't have the suspense-line-breaks since everyone knows Wobb can't touch Darkrai 1v1.

@juice- thanks for the rate/comment, that game was quite intense.

@ARandomDude- sorry bout the mistake =0. I'll change it right away, you're a pretty astute reader. I can't be bothered removing the breaks tough. thanks for the rate anyways.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The battle was pretty meh, Mirror Coat is a Psychic type attack, so that's why Darkrai was unaffected.

I like the formatting, The commentary was good, however, I'm not a fan of people who try to increase the dramaticness of a story by adding big pauses. 3/5

Gritane's play was a bit off. Wobbuffet is meant to be sent in early game on a choiced user, not be kept last. (Wobbuffet switching in on palkia would've be how I would've used it) Other than that, I thought it was pretty good. 7/10

@Its a random- yeh I figured that already, thanx for the rate anyways

@Nightshadow- My first real piece of praise. Thanx

@Calze6- yeh someone already mentioned it. I don't think he would'e switched it in on palkia cause surf 2HKOs, he'd probably switch it in on shaymin-s as mentioned by ginganinja. nonetheless, thanks for the rate.

Pretty good format, the battle was somehow average, and your opponent didn't use wobby with his full potential, but whatever... i just think you should not include the pauses; they are so Overused that it does not add the drama anymore and become just plain annoying.

I always thought mirror coat/ counter ignored type. Guess not.

Anyway, great Warstory, really entertaining. I'll give ya a 10/10 :D

Sorry for the lack of replies, Haunter banned me for trolling, but now i'm back... somehow.

Anyway, moving on.

Dimos...are you being serious... If you're not, then yes, all my pokes are EV 'trained'.

Black cotton? nice name, anyways, thanks for pointing out the obvious, I think I've already replied to all the; "DUH... wobb was used too late, herp derp." posts.

Flareon. Mirror coat and counter are ignored everywhere except for Ubers so I understand, kinda... Wow, 10/10 cool, thanks. CB Flareon OHKOs Rayquaza with SR, cool too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)