Raikou [2/3]

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
QC: dodmen, Hikari
GP:

Raigeki doe

Overview
########

• Fast Electric-type with great base 115 Speed
  • Usable base 115 Special Attack stat, can be further boosted by Calm Mind
  • Access to Aura Sphere, Extrasensory, and Hidden Power let Raikou beat specific targets more easily
  • Fairly bulky, 90/75/100 defenses
  • Lackluster offensive movepool makes it somewhat one-dimensional
  • Thunderbolt and Hidden Power nerf hurt it, as it already lacks any high-power moves to work with
  • Sadly has to run a Rash nature to use Aura Sphere (and Weather Ball/Extreme Speed if you're into that stuff)

SubCM
########
name: SubCM
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
ability: Pressure
item: Leftovers
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

• Substitute lets Raikou dodge status moves, as well as set up safely against weak special attacks, such as Scald from defensive Water-types, on top of making it much more troublesome to revenge kill
  • Calm Mind boosts Raikou's special attack, allowing it to sweep
  • Thunderbolt is for STAB
  • Hidden Power Ice forms the famous Tundrabolt BoltBeam combo, resisted in UU only by Rotom-H (which still loses to you anyway!)
  • Hidden Power Grass can be used to still beat Swampert, Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Rhyperior however

Set Details
========

• The given nature and EVs maximize Raikou's Speed and Special Attack, giving it as much power as possible to sweep with
  • Leftovers offers Raikou some passive recovery, which is vital as it relies on using Substitute to sweep

Usage Tips
========

• Weaker special attackers that are forced out or eventually fail to break Raikou's Substitute after a boost, such as Florges, Vaporeon, Suicune, Empoleon, Porygon2, and defensive Celebi are all examples of Pokemon Raikou can safely set up on. Pokemon that rely on moves such as Draco Meteor, Overheat, or Leaf Storm can also give a free turn to bring in Raikou and set up after having used their respective moves
  • Set up after special walls have been weakened enough or entirely removed from play, as Raikou will need significant boosts to break through them otherwise
  • Raikou can take advantage of its great Speed and coverage to deal some damage to susceptible targets early-game, setting up mid- or late-game once checks and counters are softened up
  • Toxic Spikes ruin any chance this set has of sweeping, so ensure they are removed beforehand; inversely, Toxic Spikes help wear down some of this set's checks

Team Options
========

• Ground-types, particularly Swampert, are public enemy #1 for this set since most can survive even a +1 HP Ice and KO back with their Ground STAB, so lures carrying Grass moves such as mixed Infernape, Expert Belt Jirachi, and Life Orb Tornadus pair well; Pokemon that outright beat Ground-types, such as Suicune, Roserade, Shaymin, Kyurem, and Mega Blastoise are also welcome
  • Specially defensive Pokemon such as Umbreon, Blissey, Goodra, and Snorlax are roadblocks to this set, so offensive Pokemon such as mixed Life Orb Hydreigon, mixed Tornadus, Mienshao, and Entei are able to muscle through them
  • Pokemon such as Mega Sceptile, Crobat, Rotom-H, and Hydreigon can switch into Ground-type moves directed at Raikou
  • Poison-types such as Roserade, Nidoqueen, and Tentacruel are capable of absorbing Toxic Spikes for Raikou to keep the hazards from wearing it down. They also can set Toxic Spikes themselves to help Raikou sweep

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Extrasensory
item: Choice Specs / Life Orb

Moves
========

• Thunderbolt is Raikou's strongest STAB move, hits pretty hard with Specs
  • Volt Switch allows Raikou to get momentum off a forced switch, hits decently hard due to STAB
  • Hidden Power Grass allows Raikou to KO Swampert, Gastrodon, and Quagsire while still dealing damage to Ground-types such as Krookodile, Hippowdon, and Donphan. It also gives Raikou a decent neutral move to abuse when faced against teams using Water- and Ground-type Pokemon
  • Hidden Power Ice allows Raikou to hit Ground-types, even ones neutral to Hidden Power Grass, such as Gligar, Nidoqueen, and Flygon, while also hitting Dragon- and Grass-types such as Hydreigon, Haxorus, Mega Ampharos, Shaymin, Celebi, and Mega Sceptile
  • Extrasensory allows Raikou to cover Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Roserade, which is essential if it opts to run Hidden Power Grass, as they can switch in safely on its STAB moves and immediately threaten it; it also is Raikou's strongest option against opposing Electric-types

Set Details
========

• Nature and EVs maximize Special Attack and Speed, allowing Raikou to hit as hard and fast as possible
  • Choice Specs gives Raikou a strong boost in power, allowing it to deal respectable damage to Pokemon with the appropriate move
  • Life Orb allows Raikou to hit as hard as possible while being able to switch moves, but it will be worn down between Life Orb recoil and possible entry hazards
  • Expert Belt or Zap Plate can be used to let Raikou bluff a Choice item, allowing it to lure and KO Pokemon such as Swampert with less reliance on prediction, though the drop in power is very noticeable
  • Assault Vest can be used to make Raikou more specially bulky, allowing it to check threats such as Hydreigon, Mega Ampharos, Suicune, and Rotom-H more easily
Usage Tips
========

• Predict. Every play has to count with Raikou, as its strongest move, Thunderbolt, can give a free turn to any Ground-type or Electric resist, while its coverage moves will do relatively poor damage against any Pokemon not weak to them
  • Get momentum early-game with Volt Switch, using Thunderbolt to clean up once Electric resists are weakened or removed
  • Be cautious when using Hidden Power, as it is Raikou's weakest move and can be played around; use it only when facing Pokemon that are susceptible to being KOed by it. It is best to use the move when predicting something to switch in to take Thunderbolt or Volt Switch

Team Options
========

• Pokemon such as Darmanitan, Hydreigon, Crobat, Mega Pidgeot, Mienshao, and Mega Beedrill can form a VoltTurn core with Raikou; Raikou can threaten bulky Water-types for these Pokemon as well
  • Pokemon such as Azelf, Hydreigon, Mega Sceptile, Shaymin, and Tornadus are capable of switching into Ground-type moves for Raikou and dealing with the Ground-types that keep it in check
  • Setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Azelf, Swords Dance Mega Sceptile, Swords Dance Infernape, and Dragon Dance Haxorus all have great offensive synergy with this set, as they threaten one another's checks and counters

Offensive Calm Mind
########
name: Offensive Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Extrasensory / Aura Sphere
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid / Rash

Moves
========

• Calm Mind allows Raikou to function as a sweeper and a wallbreaker to a degree, dealing serious damage after a boost while muscling through some of its defensive checks at the same time
  • Thunderbolt is Raikou's strongest STAB move and its primary source of damage
  • Extrasensory is Raikou's strongest move to dispatch Roserade, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking, while dealing damage to opposing Electric-types
  • Aura Sphere, though it forces Raikou to use a Rash nature, allows it to function more as a boosting wallbreaker, netting a 2HKO on Umbreon at +1, while 2HKOing Blissey at +2 after a bit of prior damage
  • Hidden Power Grass lets Raikou immediately dispatch Swampert as well as Quagsire and Gastrodon while still covering Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Krookodile
  • Hidden Power Ice still covers Ground-types while hitting Gligar, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen harder; also covers Grass- and Dragon-types, and should be the preferred choice if running Aura Sphere, in order to keep Celebi, Gligar, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen from walling Raikou

Set Details
========

• Given EVs make Raikou as fast and strong as possible
  • Use a Timid nature to make the most of its crucial base 115 Speed stat; use Rash only if running Aura Sphere (as it kinda forces you to anyway)
  • While using a Rash nature makes Raikou slower, it still has enough Speed to outpace positive-natured base 100s, such as Mega Glalie, Jirachi, and Shaymin
  • Life Orb maximizes Raikou's damage output, and is fully necessary to get the most out of this set, as it needs as much power as it can get

Usage Tips
========

• Raikou can be used early-game to threaten Pokemon it checks, but this set is best executed mid- or late-game once entry hazards have weakened opposing Pokemon enough that Raikou can plow through easily
  • Refrain from letting Raikou take too much damage before it's in position to set up, as entry hazards and Life Orb recoil will take their toll
  • If Aura Sphere is being used, set up with Calm Mind as the opponent brings in Umbreon or Blissey, ensuring that Stealth Rock is in play so that Raikou can break through either more easily
  • Set up Calm Mind when Raikou can easily force a Pokemon out or on a resisted hit, such as choice-locked Thunderbolt
  • If Aura Sphere is used, treat Raikou as more of a hole-puncher and a lure if Blissey and Umbreon are present on the opposing team, eliminating them for another Pokemon to clean up, as the lessened Speed and Special Defense from using a Rash nature make it come up short to a larger number of offensive Pokemon

Team Options
========

• Pokemon such as Entei, Mienshao, Crobat, Darmanitan, Krookodile, and Mega Swampert appreciate this set's ability to threaten and remove bulky Water-types for them
  • Entry hazard setters such as Nidoqueen, Hippowdon, Forretress, Swampert, Chesnaught, Roserade, and Froslass can all set hazards to help Raikou break through teams and sweep
  • If Aura Sphere is chosen, Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Umbreon and Blissey, such as Hydreigon, Roserade, Mega Sceptile, Mega Blastoise, Suicune, and Kyurem all appreciate Raikou's ability to lure in and KO them
  • Pokemon immune to Ground-type moves, such as Crobat, Cresselia, Hydreigon, Mega Pidgeot, and Azelf can all switch in on Ground-type moves for it
  • Pokemon such as Vaporeon, Alomomola, Mega Blastoise, Shaymin, Celebi, and Chesnaught can also deal with the Ground-types that threaten Raikou

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Extrasensory
item: Choice Scarf

Moves
========

• Thunderbolt is Raikou's strongest STAB move
  • Volt Switch is also STAB, but allows it to get momentum
  • Hidden Power Ice maximizes Raikou's coverage, allowing it to hit as many Pokemon as possible. It is the only Hidden Power choice listed as it is Raikou's only option for beating opposing Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon, Krookodile, and Flygon, while covering Pokemon that would outspeed Raikou otherwise, such as +1 Haxorus, Mega Sceptile, Noivern, Dugtrio, and Whimsicott
  • Extrasensory gives Raikou a move to hit opposing Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Roserade a bit harder with, while still holding neutral coverage against other Electric-types

Set Details
========

• Given nature + EVs maximize Raikou's Speed, while Choice Scarf makes it the fastest revenge killer in the tier, as no other base 115s can use the item quite as effectively

Usage Tips
========

• Proper prediction is extremely vital, as either of Raikou's STAB moves can give free turns to Ground-types, while its coverage moves lack raw power to break down most targets not weak to them
  • Choice Scarf is often the least-expected item on Raikou, so capitalize on this by reserving Raikou until it can get a surprise kill on an offensive Pokemon that might have otherwise outsped it
  • This set only succeeds against offensive teams as it can outpace and badly damage fast, frail Pokemon; leave bulkier targets to Raikou's partners, as it is far too weak to break through them by itself
  • Use Volt Switch during the early stages of a match to get momentum going in your favor, using Thunderbolt and Hidden Power to dispatch their appropriate targets once they've been brought into KO range

Team Options
========

• Pokemon that are more commonly seen holding a Choice Scarf, such as Hydreigon, Mienshao, Darmanitan, and Jirachi can be paired with this set to bluff as the team's Choice Scarf user; they all can form a VoltTurn core with Raikou as well as threaten eachother's checks
  • Pokemon such as Crobat, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Pidgeot can also work with Raikou to form a VoltTurn core
  • Since this set absolutely forgoes Hidden Power Grass, Grass-types such as Celebi, Chesnaught, Mega Sceptile, and Shaymin partner well with it, as they can threaten and remove Ground-types, the foremost of them being Swampert, Gastrodon, and Quagsire
  • Offensive Pokemon such as Azelf, Infernape, Lucario, Haxorus, Mega Absol, Entei, and Krookodile can both soften up defensive Pokemon and check offensive Pokemon to help Raikou clean up later in the match; these Pokemon all benefit from Raikou's ability to check bulky Water-types

Other Options
########

• Shadow Ball
  • Signal Beam
  • Dual Screens
  • Roar
  • Weather Ball (Thunder too if used on Rain)
  • Magnet Rise
  • CM + Volt Switch

Checks & Counters
########

• Special Walls
  • Ground-types
  • Revenge killers
  • Grass-types
  • Dragon-types

Last edited:
Very well done again :]. So I know you talked about Life Orb in Moves for the Specs set, but I think the set should be called "All-Out Attacker" with LO slashed after Specs, at least Life Orb lets you switch up moves which is pretty huge. Also mention AV after Ebelt and Zap Plate I guess. For Team Options in that set (and other ones involving Volt Switch), talk about how Raikou's team needs to have control of the hazard game since its will most likely be volt turning in and out and forcing switches from the opponent and etc.

I hate to be that guy but you want the 4 HP EVs moved to Def for all sets o_o it actually matters for Raikou since it'll be Volt Switching into Rocks and stuff.

For SubCM, mention that Toxic Spikes must be removed on Raikou's side of the field in Usage Tips. They're also pretty helpful to set up yourself.

I'm not too sure about the viability of Choice Scarf Raikou given how stupidly weak it is (cannot OHKO Duggy after Stealth Rocks). While it does outspeed other Scarfers, it can't actually beat any of them 1v1 except Jirachi. I guess it could be nice for Mega Aero and stuff but anyway I'll leave that one up to other QC members.

I think CM Volt Switch could go in Other Options. It lets you wear down certain checks like AV Machamp and Snorlax early in the game while also acting as a potential win condition later on. Leftovers for passive recovery for Stealth Rock, Scald and/or burn, and Scarf Iron Head, or Zap Plate for more overall power.

Don't forget to go into more detail in Checks and Counters. Also I'm pretty sure you don't need to put the ability tag since there's only one usable ability.

That's it, I'll edit this post whenever you're done.

1/3

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Very well done again :]. So I know you talked about Life Orb in Moves for the Specs set, but I think the set should be called "All-Out Attacker" with LO slashed after Specs, at least Life Orb lets you switch up moves which is pretty huge. Also mention AV after Ebelt and Zap Plate I guess. For Team Options in that set (and other ones involving Volt Switch), talk about how Raikou's team needs to have control of the hazard game since its will most likely be volt turning in and out and forcing switches from the opponent and etc.

I hate to be that guy but you want the 4 HP EVs moved to Def for all sets o_o it actually matters for Raikou since it'll be Volt Switching into Rocks and stuff.

For SubCM, mention that Toxic Spikes must be removed on Raikou's side of the field in Usage Tips. They're also pretty helpful to set up yourself.

I'm not too sure about the viability of Choice Scarf Raikou given how stupidly weak it is (cannot OHKO Duggy after Stealth Rocks). While it does outspeed other Scarfers, it can't actually beat any of them 1v1 except Jirachi. I guess it could be nice for Mega Aero and stuff but anyway I'll leave that one up to other QC members.

I think CM Volt Switch could go in Other Options. It lets you wear down certain checks like AV Machamp and Snorlax early in the game while also acting as a potential win condition later on. Leftovers for passive recovery for Stealth Rock, Scald and/or burn, and Scarf Iron Head, or Zap Plate for more overall power.

Don't forget to go into more detail in Checks and Counters. Also I'm pretty sure you don't need to put the ability tag since there's only one usable ability.

That's it, I'll edit this post whenever you're done.
Alright, all changes implemented. :] I always flesh out the Checks & Counters section once I get to actually writing it out

Sub CM need an HP Grass mention.

If Aura Sphere is chosen, Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Umbreon and Blissey, such as Hydreigon, Roserade, Mega Sceptile, Mega Blastoise, Suicune, and Kyurem all appreciate Raikou's ability to lure in and KO them
Raikou needs LO + Rash + good rolls to have a chance of 2HKOing 252 / 0 Blissey after two CM. So yeah, it won't remove Blissey.

CoolStoryBrobat

Sub CM need an HP Grass mention.

Raikou needs LO + Rash + good rolls to have a chance of 2HKOing 252 / 0 Blissey after two CM. So yeah, it won't remove Blissey.
Changes have been implemented...I haven't outright removed Blissey from this, as LO + Rash are assumed for the set already, the main thing is the rolls. At +2 it still has a 64.5% chance of 2HKOing 252 HP Blissey with Aura Sphere and pretty much any minor amount of prior damage (Stealth Rock, maybe some Spikes) ensures this, even against 4 HP / 252 SpD variants. I could maybe emphasize that a bit more for the case of using Aura Sphere? However if you are still against it I'll remove the mentions of Blissey completely.

Changes have been implemented...I haven't outright removed Blissey from this, as LO + Rash are assumed for the set already, the main thing is the rolls. At +2 it still has a 64.5% chance of 2HKOing 252 HP Blissey with Aura Sphere and pretty much any minor amount of prior damage (Stealth Rock, maybe some Spikes) ensures this, even against 4 HP / 252 SpD variants. I could maybe emphasize that a bit more for the case of using Aura Sphere? However if you are still against it I'll remove the mentions of Blissey completely.
The thing is that getting two free turns to Calm Mind isn't really that simple and it isn't even guaranteed to break through Blissey, considering Toxic versions can outstall Raikou even if it gets max rolls every turn. Anyway, saying it 2HKOes after a some prior damage is much better than implying it just removes Blissey.

QC 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)