Resource PU Open Team/Set Dump

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a defending SCL Champion

Approved by Magnemite

With the first ever PU Open now finished, I thought it'd be cool if we could have a place where people could showcase any teams/sets that they used throughout the open.
------
I had a pretty decent run, as well as a few teams and sets that I wanted to showcase, so I'll start this off:
Golem @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Roost

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Coil

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Anybody who knows me, or has played against me a handful of times should recognise this team. Unfortunately I can't claim this team to be my creation, this team was passed to me by Dundies, however I have made a few tweaks to my own personal taste. If I remember correctly, the first time I used this team was against HJAD in one of the later rounds of the last Spring Seasonal. This has pretty much been my go-to team ever since, and has served me very well.

The team utilises the savagely underrated threat that is Choice Band Golem. The offensive core is rounded out by Coil Arbok and Choice Scarf Rotom-F, whilst the defensive backbone consists of SpD Clefairy, Vullaby, and Gourgeist-XL. One of the things that I really love about this team is just how solid it is against the majority of the major threats in PU. This team packs multiple reliable checks to just about every top tier Pokemon, and is very solid when facing the likes of Cacturne, Floatzel, Stoutland, and Leafeon.

Clefairy + Golem is a pretty cool combination, and one that works well not only in battle, but also in team preview, since many people will assume Golem to be Stealth Rock, switching in a Pokemon such as Leafeon to get blown away by Choice Band Stone Edge. SpD Clefairy provides Speed control for Golem, whilst also reliably getting Stealth Rock against the majority of Water-type Defoggers that try to force Golem out. Coil Arbok is a cool Pokemon that beats up on weakened Ground-types such as Stunfisk that may have had to switch into a Choice Band Golem once or twice. With a few Coils under its belt, Arbok is very tough to stop. Vullaby and Gourgeist-XL are standard, with Rotom-F providing some Speed control via Scarf, and also a check to Articuno. The team is stupidly weak to a few specific things, but it plays in such a flowchart-like fashion that you can pretty much beat anything if you play well, which is one of the main things I love about this team.
Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Muk @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 236 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Waterfall
- Frustration
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
This was a team I made for my Semifinal series vs Advantage. I wanted to bring Curse Muk + Probopass, because I'd experienced success using a Curse Muk + Probopass team made by Megazard, and I wanted to build my own.

Muk is the standard Curse set, with a slightly tweaked EV spread that I made myself. 8 Def EVs avoids the OHKO from Choice Band Stoutland's Frustration after Stealth Rock, and avoids the 2HKO at +2, whilst 12 Spe can be really nice to creep other base 50s such as Audino and Prinplup. Especially with Muk being so slow, sometimes finding opportunities to Rest can be tough if Muk is Pursuit trapped by the likes of Stoutland or Dodrio, having a little extra Speed just gives you a few extra situations in which you can recover safely if needed. Probopass is standard, trapping Steel-types such as Mawile, Pawniard, Metang, as well as opposing Probopass thanks to Air Balloon. It also setting Stealth Rock, and checks normals such as Dodrio. Next I added SubCM Grumpig, which was just another Pokemon that I felt had a good matchup against a variety of bulky offenses, whilst also giving me a blanket check to stuff like Monferno. Golem was next, and was a last minute change that I made after I suddenly became irrationally scared of my Probopass + Gourgeist-XL being overwhelmed by Normal spam, or my Grumpig + Muk being overwhelmed by Electrics. It doesn't have Stealth Rock, because I already have them on Probopass, so I just opted for Protect to gain Leftovers, and scout Choice items if necessary. At this point, the team was looking exceedingly slow, so I decided to add mixed Floatzel as a cool breaker, as well as a general catch-all when facing a variety of offensive teams. I had seen that Advantage had been fond of the Pelipper + Chinchou defensive core, so I opted for both Frustration and Hidden Power [Electric] so that my Floatzel would be able to break as best as possible. Lastly I needed a check to Golem, physically biased Floatzel, and Leafeon, so I opted for Gourgeist-XL, which also rounded out the team nicely by covering both of my Fighting-weak Normal checks.
Muk @ Black Sludge
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Mawile @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Pain Split
- Baton Pass
- Stealth Rock

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Leafeon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off / Foul Play
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost
This was the team that I build for PDC, and whilst I'm not sure I can solely accredit this team for my victory, I do still think its a pretty solid team. Once again I'm using Muk. With its ability to blanket check 90% of special attackers, whilst also acting as a deadly setup sweeper, and a 100% stop to Calm Mind Clefairy, I find myself hard pressed to find a reason to not fit Muk onto my teams.

I chose RestTalk Trapinch over Probopass for its ability to also trap the likes of Chinchou and non Seed Bomb Gourgeist, since removing those Pokemon supported Leafeon and Zebstrika far better than Probopass trapping Steels would do. Next, I added Mawile as my normal resist. I had seen that PDC was somewhat fond of Choice Band users such as Stoutland, Floatzel and Zweilous. Defensive Mawile was the only Pokemon that I found that could reliably check all three, whilst also chipping away at them with Rocky Helmet. I opted for Pain Split over Swords Dance/Toxic/Knock Off since I didn't find any of the other utility moves useful in testing, and Pain Split was also nice to surprise Pokemon such as Duosion, as well as keep Mawile that bit healthier when facing the likes of Stoutland. I added Zebstrika as a catch all vs offensive teams. I went with Sap Sipper since I already had Trapinch to trap most Electric-types. I opted for Hidden Power [Grass] since Ice coverage seemed useless for the majority of the teams PDC was using, whilst Grass coverage also had the added benefit of hitting Golem, a Pokemon that can definitely be somewhat threatening to this team. Speaking of Golem being a threat, Leafeon was added as my next Pokemon, with one of the main reasons for its addition being that it was a solid Golem check. Outside of this, Leafeon was able to pressure a variety of bulkier teams with Swords Dance, whilst also packing Lum Berry in order to better check Pokemon such as Clefairy, as well as avoid taking chip damage from Toxic Golem. In the last slot I chose Vullaby as I required a blanket check to a massive number of threatening Pokemon such as Monferno, Grumpig and Leafeon, but also required hazard removal. Taunt + Knock Off was specifically for Duosion, since I'm always pretty paranoid about being swept by it, with Vullaby's abilty to lure and knock off items from the likes of Rotom-F, and Clefairy being a nice boon too.
Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
Shiny: Yes
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Roost

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 240 HP / 172 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

Muk @ Black Sludge
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 208 HP / 32 Atk / 216 SpD / 52 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
Of the handful of teams that I made, this was the team that I ended up going with vs .CarloO~. Whilst this team does have a Muk, this team was actually built around the core of SubRoost Articuno + RestTalk Trapinch, a core that I think is very underrated. SubRoost Articuno is a Pokemon that can prove to be unbelievably difficult for some teams to deal with, and when you consider that Trapinch is able to remove the likes of Probopass and Grumpig, Articuno becomes that much harder to beat. I opted for Ice Beam over Freeze-Dry on Articuno purely because Trapinch was able to reliably trap Chinchou, one of Freeze-Dry's main targets, whilst Ice Beam's damage rolls vs Pokemon such as Golem and Stunfisk were far more favourable than Freeze-Dry.
  • 252 SpA Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 186-222 (44 - 52.6%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Articuno Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 236-282 (55.9 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Pelipper was added next as obligatory Defog support, as well as a check to Monferno. I'm running enough Speed for maximum invested neutral natured Golem, which allows me to beat it in most situations by Roosting on Stone Edge. I opted for Hurricane over U-turn since Leafeon appeared somewhat threatening. Curse Muk came next, and provides a setup wincon, whilst also checking basically every special attacker from specially biased Floatzel to Regice. Golem is my dedicated Stealth Rock user, and also my main check to the likes of Stoutland and Dodrio. I opted for Sucker Punch in the last slot to slightly better my matchup against offense, since I didn't find Toxic to be that useful. Articuno used a large number of the Pokemon that were targets for Toxic as setup fodder anyway, so the extra damage was rarely helpful. Clefairy fit nicely in the last slot, spreading status via Thunder Wave to ease setup for Muk and Articuno, whilst also acting as a devastating wincon in its own right. Clefairy is nice to check Pokemon such as physical Hidden Power [Electric] Floatzel as well as Rapidash, two Pokemon that I had identified were threatening to the rest of the build.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
do u ever run fast teams lol
Anyway I passed False a good amount of stuff for open which basically got used up to semis and also had an ok run before i megazard'd myself a little early so here's some relatively decent stuff. I definitely could've been more original overall (and cut down on the Scarf Leafeon, good lord), but honestly not feeling being too screwy in the Cac meta. Anyway, enjoy.
419.png
470.png
078.png
626.png
338.png
332.png

Floatzel @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Frustration
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Beam

Leafeon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Double-Edge
- X-Scissor

Rapidash @ Charcoal
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Drill Run
- Morning Sun

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Facade

Solrock @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Zen Headbutt

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Sucker Punch
It's Cacturne offense, not that much to it except for the mildly interesting Solrock where most teams would slap on Golem. Floatzel is still pretty damn stupid and people need to wake up, it + FB Cacturne really put a lot of pressure on a lot of standard balance builds. The dual grass is definitely awkward at times and I've considered going like Scarf Dodrio at times but Leafeon's bulk to pivot into all kinds of things along with the extra speed control in beating out Scarf Rotom/Mime/Chatot is pretty huge. Bouff+Solrock actually works for a fairly offensive "defensive core", so that it can put pressure on teams with Pursuit and burns and stuff but with Rock+Bouff+Rap+Leaf you can actually pivot into good amount of the meta. I'm only talking so much because this is probably my favorite balance-ish build recently, it's been pretty hard to get balance since the tier shift just added more stupid threats but this has worked pretty consistently overall for a few months... except for Clefairy where the team needs Bouff to handle or Cac to lure or maybe sack leaf to knock it off. Sigh.

508.png
122.png
089.png
523.png
476.png
394.png

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Mr. Mime @ TwistedSpoon
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

Muk @ Black Sludge
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Poison Jab
- Curse

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Water]

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Signal Beam
- Yawn
It's already on sample teams with a full description and I don't have much more to say but this probably has some stupidly good record in open between me and False, cba to go through it but the combo of Stout power, Mime stallbreaking, and being forced to play around a late-game wincon in Curse Muk can be a real pain. Muk can just be stupid sometimes tbh.

367.png
326.png
391.png
076.png
523.png
470.png

Huntail @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Sucker Punch
- Frustration
- Shell Smash

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 224 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Leafeon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge
- X-Scissor
Huntail is another stupid mon that generally won't be automatically disgusting from matchup but rarely has more than a couple of checks that just need to be weakened. Rawmelon helped me make this one, I had 2 Huntail teams and one was actually original and went on teambuilding shop which was some Huntail+Sand build and the other one is the most standard balance team you can find and I'm not sure if a description is necessary. Grumpig and Monferno check things and stuff and provide offensive pressure, Golem gib rox, Zebra is speed control, and I don't know how to make balance without Scarf Leafeon. Not much to this and random anti-meta stuff can be an issue but Huntail is just so strong and it's still pretty reliable.

089-1.png

mugger (Muk) @ Life Orb
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 220 Atk / 252 SpA / 36 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Fire Blast
- Gunk Shot
- Giga Drain
- Thunderbolt

Leru put me on to this, it's not fantastic by any means and it actually made me lose in open when the basic AV it used to be would've been fine (altho I had plenty of other mistakes anyway) but it can be a lot of fun to bop random things like Mawile and Pelipper and Vullaby as long as you dont forget it has no bulk (I'm sure running HP over Attack is an option but this is definitely more cool).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)