Other Psychic Typing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think also that some of the psychic pokemons are still pretty good at the right teams (my new OU team won many battels, two pokes from the all six are psychic type).
A type that is really need a buff is an ice type, no resistences (only ice) and four weakneses, i think that in the XY OU metagame there are pnly two ice types (mamoswine and kyorem-b) correct me if im wrong.
Cloyster is still OU viable, but yeah, that's about it. Psychic types are fine imo, but maybe I spend too much time in UU.

At least ice is still awesome in inverse battles

Cloyster is still OU viable, but yeah, that's about it. Psychic types are fine imo, but maybe I spend too much time in UU.

At least ice is still awesome in inverse battles
I think that in te next gen GF need to give ice more resistences and maybe improve ice types pokemons stats and abilites to make them more viable to use. (I really wanted glaceon and walrein to be more viable) but this needs to be at the ice type thread, so i will stick to a psychic type, as i said, in the right teams they are pretty good.

I think also that some of the psychic pokemons are still pretty good at the right teams (my new OU team won many battels, two pokes from the all six are psychic type).
A type that is really need a buff is an ice type, no resistences (only ice) and four weakneses, i think that in the XY OU metagame there are pnly two ice types (mamoswine and kyorem-b) correct me if im wrong.
And Cloyster. Sometimes I see the odd Lapras too. But I can't recall the last time I've seen a pure Ice type.

babaGAReeb

Banned deucer.
The problem is that if they somehow buff the typing in some way, some Pokemon would be too much (eg Mewtwo). My guess is that GF knows the Psychic typing is trash so they try to make the Pokemon themselves very useful and/or very powerful like Alakazam, Reuniclus, Slowbro, Gothitelle, Lati@s, Espeon etc.

Buffing the typing would mess up with this supposed balance there is, imho. Although I still think something needs to be done.
would mewtwo be better off with absolutely any other type other then psychic? like even normal and ice mewtwo. only thing worse then psychic would be bug/flying or something but it dosent count cause its a dual typing

is it safe to say psychic is the absolute worse type now?

would mewtwo be better off with absolutely any other type other then psychic? like even normal and ice mewtwo. only thing worse then psychic would be bug/flying or something but it dosent count cause its a dual typing

i dont think so,its important to understand in which roll psychic type is good or not: as a defensive rolle-only two resistences.
in offensive-psychic have a nich to hit hard m-venasaur and other pokes really hard with pokemon that get stab from that psychic moves like latios.

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

There's no worst type. All types have things going for and against them. It's not the worst defensive or offensive typing, however overall it would probably finish in the lower half of utility. It's still a necessary typing to balance the metagame.

There's no worst type. All types have things going for and against them. It's not the worst defensive or offensive typing, however overall it would probably finish in the lower half of utility. It's still a necessary typing to balance the metagame.
In some point you are right,pursuit is really a pain to a pure psychic type but again they have the nich to hit for netural damage a lot of threads and mostly hit fighing and poison hard (fighiting is still very common and poison who got buff in the case of hit fairies hard).
Take for example the ice type,as an offensive they are pretty good (hit hard dragons,grass,flying and ground) but as defensive? only one resistence with 4 weakneses,each type has his own good and bad points.

Yes, he would probably be better as any other type (Ice and Bug are kinda reaches though). What I meant is that buffing the typing would make him even more powerful, and we know he's the last mon that needs something like that.

And yes there is a worst type, I'd argue it's Bug, but that's off-topic anyway. Of course every typing has pros and cons lol. It's just that Psychic's pros don't outweigh the cons, imo.

Btw, Poison types are not that common, seeing as Steel types counter Fairies too (and Psychic types ._.), and they are just better.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
While Psychic isn't the WORST typing Defensively (that honor goes to Ice), it's still not something anything defensive wants to have in this Meta full of Aegislashes, Bisharps, and Knock Offs. Look at Cresselia; it has 120/120/130 defenses and a decent support movepool with gems such as Trick Room, Thunder Wave, and the exclusive Lunar Dance. It still sucks because of the aforementioned threats and lack of resists outside of Fighting, which isn't as common as last Gen (the only relevant OU Fighting-Types are Conkeldurr, Keldeo, and Terrakion). If Cresselia was ANYTHING else it'd probably be UU or OU right now. Hell, even if it was an Ice-Type it might actually rise in usage.

252+ Atk Dread Plate Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 260-308 (58.5 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Dread Plate Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia (Ice-Type): 130-154 (29.2 - 34.6%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

The only real perk of being Psychic is STAB on Psyshock, which isn't too much of a consolation nowadays thanks to Chansey being used over Blissey most of time (but lets you win Calm Mind wars, at least).

While Psychic isn't the WORST typing Defensively (that honor goes to Ice), it's still not something anything defensive wants to have in this Meta full of Aegislashes, Bisharps, and Knock Offs. Look at Cresselia; it has 120/120/130 defenses and a decent support movepool with gems such as Trick Room, Thunder Wave, and the exclusive Lunar Dance. It still sucks because of the aforementioned threats and lack of resists outside of Fighting, which isn't as common as last Gen (the only relevant OU Fighting-Types are Conkeldurr, Keldeo, and Terrakion). If Cresselia was ANYTHING else it'd probably be UU or OU right now. Hell, even if it was an Ice-Type it might actually rise in usage.

252+ Atk Dread Plate Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 260-308 (58.5 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Dread Plate Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia (Ice-Type): 130-154 (29.2 - 34.6%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

The only real perk of being Psychic is STAB on Psyshock, which isn't too much of a consolation nowadays thanks to Chansey being used over Blissey most of time (but lets you win Calm Mind wars, at least).
As i said, psychic is good offensive type

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
As i said, psychic is good offensive type
Not really. Psychic is only super effective against Poison (REALLY rare outside of Mega Venusuar) and Fighting (somewhat rare), and resisted by other Psychics, Steel (common as fuck), and doesn't affect Dark at all (Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mandibuzz, etc.) The only time you see Psychic coverage on something is when a) They get STAB from it b) They have pretty much nothing else to work with (Sheer Force Lando-I) or c) They are trying to murder Mega Venusaur by luring it in (Greninja, Manaphy, Lando-I to some extent) or they don't want their sweep interrupted by it (Raikou, Lando-I again).

Not really. Psychic is only super effective against Poison (REALLY rare outside of Mega Venusuar) and Fighting (somewhat rare), and resisted by other Psychics, Steel (common as fuck), and doesn't affect Dark at all (Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mandibuzz, etc.) The only time you see Psychic coverage on something is when a) They get STAB from it b) They have pretty much nothing else to work with (Sheer Force Lando-I) or c) They are trying to murder Mega Venusaur by luring it in (Greninja, Manaphy, Lando-I to some extent) or they don't want their sweep interrupted by it (Raikou, Lando-I again).
As you said,maybe poisont aren't rare m-venasur is very rare and psychic is the best reliable type to hit him (if you dont have talonflame) and fighting types still in the current metagame, conkeldur is a big wxample for that.
Yes, dark type really a pain,specially pursuit but when you kill all the dark oppenets (or let your psychic poke use focus blast or moonblast/dazzeling gleam) you can feel more safe to get him into game, i have a cery good team of mine that is with 2 psychic pokes.

fighting types still in the current metagame, conkeldur is a big wxample for that.
Literally every Conkeldurr ever carries Knock Off, which absolutely massacres any Psychic type. Actually, pretty much any Fighting type either carries something to hit Psychic types with or takes neutral damage from Psychic attacks (or both, for that matter). Even for the ones that don't, they're usually handled better by Talonflame or M-Pinsir. Taking up a moveslot just to hit Fighting- and Poison- types is most likely more trouble than it's worth, unless you're trying to lure in M-Venu.

Galladium

Banned deucer.
Even for the ones that don't, they're usually handled better by Talonflame or M-Pinsir. Taking up a moveslot just to hit Fighting- and Poison- types is most likely more trouble than it's worth, unless you're trying to lure in M-Venu.
Or, alternatively, Greninja can lure in Fighting types with it's Dark typing, and then surprise them with Extrasensory. HP Fire is more common, but Extrasensory does have its uses.

Back on topic, a couple of other Psychic-type Pokemon (most notably Gardevoir) gained Fairy types this gen, which completely outclasses Psychic. Really, the only good thing their Psychic type gives them is a 4x resistance to Fighting.

Hopefully Gen VII will change things up a bit, but in the current meta… I'd hate to be a Psychic type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)