Non-Pokébank OU Pre-Bank Mega Gyarados Offensive Team

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction

Since playing competitive in XY, this is my first dive back into competitive pokemon, and also my first RMT. In this team, I wanted to utilise one of my favourites, Mega Gyarados, with the aim of setting up a Mega Gyarados sweep by applying offensive pressure.

I've tested the team out on ladder and on Wifi and it works quite well, but improvements can be made.

The Team

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly (+Spe - SpAtk)
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

The star of the team, Mega Gyarados. Dragon Dance exists to boost the already great Attack stat and make up for the average Speed stat, turning Mega Gyarados into a powerful sweeper. Earthquake exists as a way to deal with pokemon like Toxapex, as well as being able to secure the OHKO on magnezone which, at even +1, waterfall or crunch cannot do.

Necrozma @ Life Orb
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Earthquake

Necrozma exists on this team to provide support in the form of stealth rock; this turns what would be rolls into guaranteed 2HKOs for Mega Gyarados, and some 3HKOs into 2HKOs. Dark Pulse exists to hit other psychic types, including other Necrozmas as well as Alolan Marowak and Dhelmise. Earthquake provides a reliable way to hit alolan muk and also OHKO lead Nihilego or bring it down to its sash.

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Best Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash
- Defog

Kartana acts as a way to wear down opposing pokemon to pave the way for a Mega Gyara sweep. Having a 181 base Attack stat, Kartana will hit hard and a Beast Boost to its attack will allow it to break through walls such as Clefable which threatens Mega Gyarados with Fairy STAB. Night Slash exists to hit Alolan Marowak and Dhelmise, whilst Defog exists to remove stealth rock which can hinder Gyarados when it has not Mega Evolved.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemarang
- Will-O-Wisp

Mega Gyarados is easily outsped by choice scarf Tapu Lele and doesn't like to take electric or fairy attacks in general. Alolan Marowak provides a great partner to pivot into these attacks, and hit back with a thick club boosted attack. Shadow bone deals with Tapu Lele, Bonemarang deals with Tapu Koko and Magnezone, and can weaken Toxapex on the switch in, and Will O Wisp is used to cripple physical threats which try to switch in, including opposing Mega Gyarados.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Lele supports the team by removing priority attacks, such as Thunder Wave Klefki and Bullet Punch mega metagross. Scarf helps Tapu Lele to revenge kill threats such as garchomp after a SD. Moonblast exists to hit Dark and Dragon types which threaten the team, such as Guzzlord which can tank hits from Mega Gyarados and Kartana, Shadow Ball hits Alolan Marowak and Hidden Power Fire exists to hit Scizor and Magnezone.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone supports the physical attackers of the team by being able to trap Scizor, Celesteela and Skarmory, paving the way for a sweep. 88 Speed EVs allow Magnezone to outspeed minimum speed Skarmory. Volt Switch provides momentum for the team, allowing pressure to be applied by switching into either Kartana, Tapu Lele or Gyarados. Hidden Power Fire hits Scizor and opposing Kartana, and Flash cannon deals with the Tapus.

Conclusion

The team synergizes well and I'm usually able to accomplish a Mega Gyarados sweep. However, the team is quite slow and although magnezone can provide a slow volt switch, it can be difficult to keep up momentum and apply constant pressure. Entry hazards can also be a problem, as switching into Kartana just to defog can be risky with its low special defense. I could try Dhelmise as a more reliable spinner and also as a way to spinblock my own stealth rocks, but this just exemplifies the Ghost weakness to the team. Mimikyu can also be a problem because of this, a

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)