Pokemon's 20th Anniversary Celebration in Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
The Smogon community's celebration of Pokemon's 20th anniversary was mainly delegated to The Flying Press and social media. Reason being that we have a really big in-game following outside of the forum, so we tried our best to connect those people with our creative media in order to hype up the game we all know and love. The success of this mini project (spearheaded by skylight, also Tikitik did like 6 art pieces in a row this week so mad props) was bolstered by the Pokemon game reveal in Friday's Direct. It was all real cute and real fun.

Here are some statistics from how well we did and how pumped for the new games everyone got. Sorry I didn't get this up yesterday, the actual day of the anniversary, had other things to do that unfortunately did not include playing Alpha Sapphire all fucking day like I wanted to. Oh well. Also everyone loves stats.

February 21 - 27, 2016

App. 40,000 more people than follow the page saw our content this week (normally around ~90-130k)
*just under half that number of people interacted with a post at some point during the week!

BKC and dice accrued similar activity on the announcements for their articles in which they discuss Pokemon and its affect on their lives since they've played it. They also were the most popular ones! You can read BKC's article here, and dice's article here. We also had great articles by Finchinator, Stathakis, Vinc2612, and Zebraiken! They read a bit like a diary if you start with Finchinator's entry, though I suggest ripping it out entirely because he's bad.

Oh yeah, and yesterday's panel discussion was pretty cool, and had some of the cutest art by Rocket Grunt (that probably represented what some of y'all were busy doing yesterday).

Our posts simply asking if the public is hype for Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, and "who's ready for some nostalgia?" were the most popular posts in at least the past year or two, garnering 4,443 Reactions/Comments/Shares on the former and 5,409 Reactions/Comments/Shares on the latter. I can't find anything that even came close, except the Zygarde forme announcement post, but even that only accrued half the engagement. We really need new game announcements more often.

I retweeted (@)Pokemon's interactive hashtag experiment in which they suggested tweeting #GottaCatchEmAll (because we don't really use hashtags, they're lame) and we, as a community, caught Espurr! The tweets were "automated", but we technically got tweeted by (@)Pokemon so... :pimp:

Finally, much to the Orange Island moderators' delight, discussion on Pokemon Sun & Pokemon Moon news released Friday is BOOMING in Orange Islands (starting from this post) so it's definitely worth joining the hype.

How did everyone commemorate the occasion? :toast:

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I never understood why these kinds of threads are in IS and not a public forum lol.

In fact, I never understood why Smogon doesn't have a public announcements forum at all.

Good shit though.

also fuck yeah espurr! one of my fav mons :3

Last edited:

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I never understood why these kinds of threads are in IS and not a public forum lol.

In fact, I never understood why Smogon doesn't have a public announcements forum at all.

Good shit though.
yeah me either but this was the best place for it :(

well, i didn't really do anything for the day, but i did want to make a post! it might be a bit cheesy, but hey, i think we all are thinking it.

so i wanted to say a huge thank you to the pokemon community in general. i don't know about you guys, but things weren't too bright before smogon. and since then, it's crazy how my perspective has changed. everything seems... happier. i've always loved pokemon, but i think smogon has kinda ruined in-game for me aha. i have to get a really nice team or else it's no good! i used to be fine with having a random color change kecleon on my team because it was just so cool, but now it seems like a strange idea. regardless, pokemon m00ns and sun are going to be spectacular, i just know it. i personally found x and y to be some of my favorites in the entire pokemon series, and with pokken being released, everything is going to be great! i can feel this year being the year of pokemon. i also am predicting it right now we're getting new pokemon, and one of those, probably a popular one, will be in the next smash game. mark my words.

but anyways, back to my original point. smogon is actually crazy. after being in the community for about two and a half years, i've made tons of new friends. people like Reverb, Eevee General, and m00ns, alongside a ton of other people, have really helped me come to my own wits and realize myself. it's just crazy how all of these people who i've never met in real life (but i will!) have impacted my life so much, and all because of a common denominator: pokemon. these little creatures that are produced by gamefreak have brought together so many people together. and we all have been brought to this weird website called smogon because of it? it's just so fascinating, and so awesome, really. the pokemon community is so tight-nit, and smogon is the best community i've ever joined. and i've been through a lot of forums. shoutout to Skitty for being there since the days of the spyro forums, and even the smash forums i've joined, and now we are all here, on a pokemon website, called smogon.

so really, thank you, smogon! and well, pokemon in general. a happy note for 20 years, and here's to hopefully 20 more!

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Good shit though.

edit: also fuck yeah espurr! one of my fav mons :3
Info hub can kinda count but only problem is mostly new people see it... Although fuck it, I might turn it into a public announcements forum as well cuz why not.

antemortem imma make a thread there for important news, permission to repost this when made??

ALSO: awesome job 20 anniversary people. Shootouts to everyone in the project:

Tikitik your art was amazing as hell and got better everyday, thanks for being super consistent, really appreciated

anto both versions of html were amazing. I left creativity up to you because I knew you could do it and you did amazing. Thanks to Toast++ for making the 27th even more amazing

The Dutch Plumberjack amazing work organising and doing the gp at such a last minute. Winry GatoDelFuego frenzyplant P Squared thanks for responding to tdp's calls for gp work at last minute.

Rocket Grunt seriously cute art you never let us down with what you do. :)

Thank you also for those who shared their lives with us BKC Vinc2612 dice Finchinator Stathakis and thanks to Zebraiken for doing it for me although you'd probably rather have done something else lol

Thanks all the regular panelists Codraroll DHR-107 Steven Stone and additionally shaymin too.

Gangnam Style without you the whole personal accounts thing wouldn't have happened so ty

Thanks to the subscribers and happenings thread for putting up with me.

And thank you... to whoever enjoyed our crazy project :)

(hope I didn't forget anyone...)

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I spent the past few days watching Pokemon's Twitch channel! The Pokemon Company International organized a big event on Twitch where a bunch of Pokemon Youtubers and streamers played some new and nostalgic pokemon games, including Red version on VC, Stadium, Snap, a bit of TCG, and Pokken Tournament among others. On top of that, there was an official 24-hour marathon of a bunch of new and current Pokemon movies, such as Mewtwo Strikes Back, Power of One, Spell of the Unown, Voice of the Forest, etc., most of which I haven't seen in over a decade. It was a huge rush of nostalgia, and a fantastic way to spend the anniversary for me.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Finally, much to the Orange Island moderators' delight, discussion on Pokemon Sun & Pokemon Moon news released Friday is BOOMING in Orange Islands (starting from this post) so it's definitely worth joining the hype.

How did everyone commemorate the occasion? :toast:
I'm not sure if delight is the right word... Let's hope this isn't as bad as XY hype!

Still I spent the majority of the day watching the Anime and playing Yellow on my special edition 2DS which was lovely. I even dug out my extremely old guide to see 13~14 year old notes/lines for cave routes etc! Last night I ended up in #Smogon watching a lot of the latter Pokemon films and Origins/Chronicles.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
A bit late, but I did the obvious thing to commemorate the special occasion.

Think of new excuses to use outside of "I know 20 year olds who play this game" whenever someone stares at me uncomfortably at the doctor's office after I bust out my 3DS and start playing OR.

My newest one is "I'm socializing with others through the game."

I searched for and bought the 20th Anniversary 3DS with a friend. Pretty much no Gamestop in SoCal said they had any excess units beyond what was preordered which was absurd to me. We ended up finding two at a Target, and did what else? Traded and battled. I spent most of the day playing Red and for a moment feeling like a kid again. Capped it off by watching the first movie with my gf. She doesn't know much about the series but she loves Mew.

I've been playing this series for 18 years and it's brought so many good memories for me. This like one of the longest running interests I've had. I'm thankful for everyone involved who created the games and the community here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)