SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I explained in my post that just because it's the last island doesn't mean it has to be late game.
The notion that Lillie does her own island challenge isn't a far-fetched story wrinkle, but it's still wishlisting. You would need to elaborate further on game design and pacing on top of writing to argue that Jangmo-o is not something you would continue to encounter before the end of the main game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The notion that Lillie does her own island challenge isn't a far-fetched story wrinkle, but it's still wishlisting.
I'm not saying they'll do it, just giving an example on how they could make access to the last island the half way point (or 2/3rd point).

I'm not saying they'll do it, just giving an example on how they could make access to the last island the half way point (or 2/3rd point).
They'd still have to change more than just when you reach Poni island in relation to when you first face the Elite Four. Mostly increasing the number of grass patches that Jangmo-o spawns in or moving them to be more accessible to the player before they go to endgame. Even if they keep her at a 5% encounter rate, what's important is that you can get to where Jangmo-o lives first.

I agree that repacing your exploration with backtracking is possible, though there'd still be some sussing out to do. That's not to say though, that they won't adjust some Pokemon what with the new additions to the regional dex, but GF has been historically picky with where specific species live. Even in BW2, they just put the higher level evolved versions of Pokemon that inhabited the early routes of BW to meet the new difficulty requirements, so Jangmo-o will probably continue to have it's own special level of accessibility.

What's kind of annoying is that you already have to backtrack to Ula' ula Island just to finish the game, and the route leading to the Elite Four is littered with even less challenging wild Pokemon than what's in Poni canyon. This kind of lends itself to a greater discussion on the value of backtracking, and Alola had a highly linear approach to exploring every nook and cranny of a town or route with little need to return anywhere, except for Zygarde cell-hunting if that's important to you as a player.

Last edited:
It's possible. In Platinum, do the expansion Manaphy was required to be seen, which you have to visit the Pokémon Mansion with a book with Manaphy in it. The same thing can be done Marshadow.
But there's no reason to? The platinum dex that people are obsessed with bringing up is totally irrelevant here.
Platinum's pokemon were all shoved in after Manaphy.
USUM's dex is not doing this. The alola dex is being reshuffled to accommodate them! This is why Necrozma is now 400 and why Cosmog is 387 and why Marhsadow is 402.

If they have new post game pokemon they could just put them after Necrozma so why would they be put after marshadow. There is no reason to because they have already totally restructured the dex.

Based on the numbers assigned to these Dex spots (Cosmog line taking up #387 to #390 and Necrozma posessing #400), are there only going to be two new Ultra Beasts, which we currently know as Assembly and Burst? If so, GF could easily add ten new common species to Alola, even if we're mostly getting returning Pokémon, a few Alola Forms, and possibly a third Mythical for Movie 21.

Reactions: Mq
Yall missing the point here. A larger dex means more of the delightfully creepy gen7's pokedex entries. Can't wait to read the stuff they'll come up with for the likes of Volcarona and Manectric. I could see Tropius's dex entry being about how the poor pokemon is hunted down by Primeape and Mankey for its bananas.

Yall missing the point here. A larger dex means more of the delightfully creepy gen7's pokedex entries. Can't wait to read the stuff they'll come up with for the likes of Volcarona and Manectric. I could see Tropius's dex entry being about how the poor pokemon is hunted down by Primeape and Mankey for its bananas.
In retrospective the lack of a National Dex is positive because they can bother to not recycle 600+ Pokedex entries and just make a small amount of new entries.

And I still want to see a Rotom dex entry that actually says nothing about the species and more about the Rotom Dex individual.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
In retrospective the lack of a National Dex is positive because they can bother to not recycle 600+ Pokedex entries and just make a small amount of new entries.

And I still want to see a Rotom dex entry that actually says nothing about the species and more about the Rotom Dex individual.
Personally I believe that the National Dex was a huge part of the post-game that, by removing it, gave them an excuse not to put as many mons in and thus let the region be smaller and gain profit off of Pokémon Bank. I want it back tbh.

Also, when do you guys anticipate the next bit of news is going to come out for it? can't wait T_T

underrated part of the new pokedex is that different forms got entries as well. This even extended to pokemon like Castform who got a different pair of entries for all 4 of its forms.

Excited at the prospect of them adding all the megas to the dex because they'll get stuff too. I kind of want Unown to get in just to see if they would actually write out 28 different entries or treat them like the different colored minior cores.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Normal Rotom Entry: A consensus held by all Pokedexes unanimously agree that Rotom is the best Pokemon ever! No citation is needed.
Heat Rotom Entry: This lukewarm Rotom possessed a microwave to gain fire power. It's a bit of a hot head who overcooks everything.
Wash Rotom Entry: This washed up Rotom possessed a washing machine to gain water power. It's very noisy and most definitely eats your socks.
Frost Rotom Entry: This chilled Rotom possessed a refrigerator to gain ice power. It's laziness correlates to how much frost forms on your foodstuff.
Fan Rotom Entry: This air headed Rotom possessed a fan to gain flying power. Looks like someone forgot it has the Levitate Ability.
Mow Rotom Entry: This rash Rotom possessed a lawnmower to gain grass power. You may want to keep your toes FAR AWAY from this one.
Rotom Dex Entry: By far the best Rotom there is! Only a few rare and exemplary Rotom ever achieve this form. They should be revered and pampered by all.

Kakui: ... In retrospect, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to have Rotom Dex write dex entries for its own species.

underrated part of the new pokedex is that different forms got entries as well. This even extended to pokemon like Castform who got a different pair of entries for all 4 of its forms.

Excited at the prospect of them adding all the megas to the dex because they'll get stuff too. I kind of want Unown to get in just to see if they would actually write out 28 different entries or treat them like the different colored minior cores.
They could bring back the Unown Mode/Report.

Unown Entry: There are 28 forms of Unown. I have opted to download the Unown Report as one of my functions. Check it out for more information.

*Kukui gives a side glance to Rotom Dex*
Rotom Dex: I AM NOT WRITING 28 ENTRIES FOR ONE POKEMON! ARE YOU TRYING TO OVERLOAD OUT MY CIRCUITS? BZZT!
Kukui: ... Next time I'm opting out for Porygon...

Some tidbits according to the description of the official guide book:

1. The areas of the game remain the same: 4 main islands and Aether Paradise
2. Poke Refresh returns
3. Poke Pelago returns
4. Festival Plaza returns
5. Poke Finder returns
6. Battle Royale and Battle Tree return
7. QR Scan returns

This guide book will be released on December 6th, and comes with a serial code for two Master Balls. It also mentions that it'll detail how to "get the newest moves, abilities, and items", though obviously that sounds a little odd. Have they ever introduced new moves and abilities mid-gen?

This guide book will be released on December 6th, and comes with a serial code for two Master Balls. It also mentions that it'll detail how to "get the newest moves, abilities, and items", though obviously that sounds a little odd. Have they ever introduced new moves and abilities mid-gen?
Seems like it would be stuff like a previously unreleased HA (Passimian, maybe starters?) being available a particular way, Z-moves you have to find the crystals for, etc.

Have they ever introduced new moves and abilities mid-gen?
Origin Pulse/Primordial Sea and Precipice Blades/Desolate Land were introduced mid gen 6.

While it is possible they may choose to add brand new moves, abilities and items - moves and abilities are likely going to play out the way Hypno28 said, but it is possible that they may add completely new items/moves/abilities

Well for one, we still don't know how to get HA starters, maybe instead of via event they will be available in some way in the game.

Also just waiting for a way to get HA Tapus, since I mean, who the hell would ever get a HA Tapu to begin with.

Also just waiting for a way to get HA Tapus, since I mean, who the hell would ever get a HA Tapu to begin with.
Telepathy Tapu Fini can reliably use Scald. In exchange for being vulnerable to status.

I'm guessing the starters won't come out until next gen, but hopefully I'm wrong. I'm sure the situation with Johto and Unova HAs was purely due to neglect.

Supposedly so, but why would you ever use Tapu Fini over another bulky water without the auto-status immunity to begin with? :P

It also mentions that it'll detail how to "get the newest moves, abilities, and items", though obviously that sounds a little odd. Have they ever introduced new moves and abilities mid-gen?
Unreleased hidden abilities and tutor moves, most likely.

This is a bit off-topic, but I'm curious how Game Freak is going to justify the Tapus being catchable in future generations.

In the past there have been Legendaries that have had loose connections to their regions; for instance, Lugia and Ho-oh being tied to the Brass and Tin Towers of Johto. The Tapus, though, are overwhelmingly associated with Alola, with each one being the designated guardian of an island. There is no reason for them to leave the islands unless in the company of a Trainer, in which case they wouldn't be catchable anyway.

It's a fairly safe assumption that we will eventually have future generations set in different regions, and that GF will want to make old Legendaries available (see: ORAS). I wonder what the in-universe explanation will be for the Guardian Deities of Alola randomly appearing in some other region?

To be honest I'm more interested in knowing how they would plan to introduce Z crystals in future gens, rather than the Tapus themselves.

With the whole Ultrarifts and stuff, it's not unthinkable to, say, have Tapus travel to another region to defend it from a invasion. Z crystals, though?

They'll find a way. Just make a new item to excuse it.

"Island Charm. A talisman that radiates with the spirit of a champion. Certain Pokémon are drawn to it."

Have a location for it to react, Koko/Bulu in one game and Lele/Fini in the other and boom, catchable Tapu.

The real question is when are they going to distribute those awesome Terrain abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)