SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
afaik, GF works with two teams, the Main team and the Remake team. In Gen 5, BW2 development started just after BW was finished, and it was handled by the remake team while the Main team started working on XY. Even before XY was released, the remake team was already working on ORAS. The Main tem is already working on the development of the Switch game that's not supposed to be here for at least a year and a half, while I bet the remake team started working on USUM as soon as SM was finished, the same way it happened in gen 5.

From serebii:

"Takara Tomy have posted information about figures releasing of the upcoming forms of Necrozma, the Dusk Mane Necrozma and the Dawn Wings Necrozma. With this, they have inadvertently revealed that Necrozma is to keep the types of Solgaleo and Lunala, becoming Psychic/Steel and Psychic/Ghost type in the respective forms. It also revealed the height and weight of these forms. Dusk Mane Necrozma is 3.8m tall but weighs 460kg, twice that of Solgaleo while Dawn Wings Necrozma is 4.0m and weighs 350kg, an increase of 230 on Lunala. As this is a merchandise leak, it's currently not 100% but is a likely indicator of future types"

So to the surprise of no one (I assume), Necrozma inherits Solgaleo/Lunala's secondary type when it transforms. If it retains Prism Armor and ends up being ~700 BST, its Dusk Mane forme may straight-up outclass Solgaleo, whereas losing Shadow Shield would make Dawn Wings forme more of a tradeoff compared to Lunala. Of course, not only is there no guarantee it keeps Prism Armor, Necrozma's stat distribution might be significantly different than the original two as opposed to just possessing straight-up better stats, so who knows.

Few updates:

1. Mantine surf confirmed, with what looks like a minigame.
2. Mina officially confirmed as a "new" captain, while Alolan Marowak is a Totem.
3. New feature: Photo Club. Seems to work like purikura in that you can choose to take a photo with your Pokemon, set your own pose and angles, pick a background, add your own decorations etc. Taking photos with your Pokemon increase friendliness the same way Pokemon Refresh did in SM.
4. New exclusives: Houndoom in US, Manectric in UM. That is, in addition to new Pokemon available in Alola: Tropius, Zorua, Mareep, Larvesta, Larvitar, Heracross, Dedenne. There will be a total of more than 400 Pokemon in the Alola Pokedex.
5. Character profiles show Hau and Lillie to be similar to what they were in SM. Hau is described to be a generous boy who is the same age as the playable character and likes to battle. Lillie is Kukui's assistant, close in age to the playable character, and finds a new side of herself during her adventures with the playable character. The dialogue in the screenshot seems to hint that Lillie will go through the same arc again in USM, saying something along the lines of "This is my full-powered (Z-power) form to do what should be done!"

New Japanese trailer:

I think I've covered everything.

Last edited:
I KNEW IT. Surfing minigame. (Not that I'm interested in surfing but it would be odd if they didn't add it).

The first exclusives make me move further towards Ultra Moon.

And I'm hoping Larvitar is available to catch in Melemele... I've never used Tyranitar before post-game... not that you tend to be able to, anyways.

So, the trailer speaks of FOUR HUNDRED new pokemon.

Aside from me asking for that "I was right" medal every 2 minutes, now i'm wondering... Where the actual fk are they putting potentially 300+ pokemon per cartridge.
Another PokeNav iteraction maybe?

Also notice how several of the Pokemon added shown in the trailer are Pokemon that have a Mega Evolution but not quite present in S/M, further adding on my theory that all Megastones will simply be available somewhere (likely, just bought) in USUM rather than needing events.

No news of Alolan forms, though, just yet.

Reactions: Mq
That is true, that'd make way more sense, and would fit the wild "assumption" we made some time ago of an approximate of 100 more Pokemon available.

I'm personally thinking that all of the non-mythical Megas will be available in the Alolan Pokedex, simply for practical availability of megastones rather than needing events (which also cut off people without stable internet access, obviously, plus doesn't force you into a single one per type without hacking).

I'm kind of sad of still no new Alola forms revealed, but I'm confident that's also going to eventually come.

Those villains are almost certainly new characters; I don't know anyone in SM with those particular hairstyles and colours.

I think the theory that Megas will be available in-game is solid. Manectric and Houndoom are once again version exclusives like they were in XY, and Z-moves are no longer the super-cool-look-at-this-guys gimmick it was a year ago. They can let the keystone in.

I wonder is this expanded Alola Pokedex is going to outclass Kalos's Regional Pokedex (which stands at 457 Pokemon as the largest so far)... but by modern Pokemon standards, it's going to have an above-average size (Starting from BW2, only ORAS had less than 300 Pokemon in the regional dex)

Also, whether Lillie will be not worthless a trainer this time or not is kept very vague so far...

Well if it's 400 pokemon in total, it's still slightly less.

That said, implying I did the math right, just the megastones pokes are 39, + another 18 from the starters 57. Plus the 2 new Ultrabeasts, that's 59.
Add the other 3 lines revealed (Zorua, Larvesta, Tropius), adds to 64.

Which means, in the worse scenario in which I'm right and it's exactly 400 pokemon in the new alolan dex + marshadow and magearna, there's another 36 pokemon not revealed, either from other Dexes, new Alolan Forms, or new Ultrabeasts.

Obviously, there's also the possibility of the presence of new QR extras, which'd unofficially increase the amount of Pokemon available to a near 500 between the 2 carts.

Not bad at all.

Z-moves are no longer the super-cool-look-at-this-guys gimmick it was a year ago. They can let the keystone in.
It just added to my mind, that the Z bracer being different from the one in S/M was a key part of the previous trailers and advertisement. It would also fit being able to Mega Evolve right away, in teory.

We'll see.

Last edited:
The trailer says more than 400, while the Japanese site says "around 400".

It lowkey annoys me that Mina has just 3 Pokemon. Assuming we take the same route as in SM and Mina is the last trial captain, she really should have at least 5.

Mantine surfing is amazing.

Assuming all Pokemon from the previous alolan pokedex are staying in the dex, there are 81-75 slots left in the dex for other Pokemon.
Tropius, Larvatar, Mareep, Larvesta, Zorua, Houndour, Manectric, Dedenne, and Heracross's families were all shown to be obtainable in the wild between the international and jp trailers. The new UBs make for two more. Inkay is featured in the photo club which I would think makes a safe assumption he's in the dex too. Mantine / Mantyke are ride Pokemon so them being in the dex is a reasonably safe assumption considering the only ride Pokemon that wasn't in the dex in SM was Charizard. If those two are in it, the remoraid family is needed out of necessity to evolve Mantyke.

Something sort of cool: This will be the first time Volcarona, Zoroark, and Dedenne are available in apricorn balls or any non-store purchasable Pokeballs that can be passed down through breeding. They obviously missed out on Apricorn Balls being Gen 5+ and Zoroark nor Volcarona was catchable in entree forest. Volcarona should even be legal in a heavy ball since wild Larvesta has a non-zero heavy ball catchrate. Fun little thing to get excited for for folks that like weird pokeballs like me.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
It lowkey annoys me that Mina has just 3 Pokemon.
Speaking of the number of Pokemon on a team, it looks like Hau at least has more Pokemon than in SM. By the time you fight him in Paniola Town he still only had Pikachu and his starter, but now he has 4 Pokemon. Assuming this battle takes place around the same point of the game in USUM, that seems like a good sign for other Trainers.
hau.png

Interesting new info. I for one am hoping that the inclusion of these late-evolving Pokémon implies a change in the game's level curve. Good luck rocking Larvesta and Larvitar until post-E4.

My main question is WHERE IS TEAM SKULL?
They ran out of rhymes so they are not appearing :P

By the way, I'm interested in that whether the Totem Pokemon will have more useful stat boosts to them (as only Lurantis and Mimikyu really took advantage of them in SM).

A screenshot in the Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon website shows that Totem Alolan Marowak will have +2 Speed. It's a pretty decent boost (assuming they are not going overkill and giving it a Thick Club) and certainly better than Salazzle's useless +1 Special Defense.

Granted, it's difficult to make good Totem boosts that don't involve Speed. Xurkitree and Buzzwole were the only ones to get it right.

Last edited:
I'm so looking forward to the Pokedex expansion, Sun and Moon's lacked diversity, since there was so much Kanto in the original dex. Heck, there was more Kanto Pokémon than Alola in the Pokedex! I hope this mean Kalos will get more representatives this time. On the other note, Mantine surf looks really fun, I wonder if you can encounter wild Pokémon when surfing? I've always wanted to surf from island to island, and this beats the cake. Also, I'm glad they are giving Mina a trial. She one of those characters who could not have existed in the original games, since she had little purpose. Also both forms of Necrozma are confirmed to Solgaleo and Lunala's types.

Last edited:
Perhaps the only 'complaint' I'd have about Mantine Surf is that if the PokeRides are given at similar points compared to SM, you're getting Charizard very shortly after it, rendering the whole 'travel between islands while also being a minigame' feature... quite pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)