SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, Kommo-O new Z-Move made me think something, Will we have more offensive Z-Move with secondary effects? For now only Genesis Supernova and Clangorous Soulblaze fall in this category, this could be interesting and add -even another- layer of depth to Z-Moves concept

Not waiting too mucho about ingame, but I'm pretty sure this will have a very interesting effect in metagame
I don't blame you if you didn't remember it because it's barely used if at all but Stoked Sparksurfer also has a secondary effect of 100% chance of paralizing. hahaha

FUCKING YES.

I used Kommo-O during my playthrough of Sun and Moon, and sadly that means I won't use it for USUM. (I have a rule like that for Pokemon playthroughs)

But holy hell, is that like a nuke version of Ancientpower but Dragon-type? Jeez.

Its likely special, so you can pair it up with a move such as Flash Cannon to hit Fairies. I wonder though, why make Kommo-O's physical attack stat higher when its best offensive options are special? Its fucking Eelektross all over again.....

While I'm not using the same restriction of only Gen VII reptiles/dinosaurs in my US/UM playthrough (as there are only seven fully-evolved ones, I'd be forced to repeat at least five Pokemon lol) I think I'm indeed repeating Kommo-o after seeing this happen.

Depending on trading/Bank restrictions, perhaps I'll breed a Jangmo-o in Moon so that I can see how it would do early-game.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Who uses this Z-Move anyways?
I can see this becoming an issue for the "generic" Z-Crystals if USUM turns out to add a lot of new exclusive Z-moves that by all accounts are better options than just a bare-bones powered-up move. If the secondary effects give you a large advantage in battle, and are relatively easy to fit on your team, why would you ever settle for a flat BP upgrade for one single move?

I can see this becoming an issue for the "generic" Z-Crystals if USUM turns out to add a lot of new exclusive Z-moves that by all accounts are better options than just a bare-bones powered-up move. If the secondary effects give you a large advantage in battle, and are relatively easy to fit on your team, why would you ever settle for a flat BP upgrade for one single move?
I mean if we are talking about the original games exclusive z moves pretty much half of them were garbage. With pikachu's family taking up THREE of them. Z moves in the meta have mainly been used to buff up a charge move or weak coverage move.

However if more z moves gave us unique effects as well as damage than we are finally going to enter a "z moves make a pokemon not need a mega" territory. Which what they should have been in the beginning.

However if more z moves gave us unique effects as well as damage than we are finally going to enter a "z moves make a pokemon not need a mega" territory. Which what they should have been in the beginning.
But doesn't this precisely fall into one of the reasons Game Freak dropped Megas in Gen VII? Namely, that it only worked in a very limited amount of Pokemon.

It just occurred to me. I think the biggest aspect of Kommo-o's Z-move that'll distinguish itself apart from the other Z-Celebrate sweepers is the fact that thanks to its set up move being an actual attack, Kommo-o can run a 4th coverage move. I can see a set like this putting in some work in OU:

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower / Hidden Power Electric / Draco Meteor

Flamethrower will let it hit mons like Magearna, Mega Mawile, and Celesteela more reliably than Focus Miss, doing around the same damage, while also cleanly OHKOing Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. Meanwhile, HP Electric will 2HKO the likes of Mantine when boosted, and Draco can be a last-ditch effort move to hit a neutral target for much more damage if you see that your sweeps' about to end.

Actually having a 4th attacking move is nice since it'll give Kommo-o another option if it can't set up or was previously forced out. Resisting Ash-Gren's Shuriken's nice as well.

Hoping it gets more moves via tutors.

But doesn't this precisely fall into one of the reasons Game Freak dropped Megas in Gen VII? Namely, that it only worked in a very limited amount of Pokemon.
What I got from why they dropped Mega is having to keep making new designs that kinda outshine the old design. As well as reaching artist block, for example what happened to mega flygon. Alolan forms and z moves I guess are a better split of what mega's were all about.

It just occurred to me. I think the biggest aspect of Kommo-o's Z-move that'll distinguish itself apart from the other Z-Celebrate sweepers is the fact that thanks to its set up move being an actual attack, Kommo-o can run a 4th coverage move. I can see a set like this putting in some work in OU:

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower / Hidden Power Electric

Flamethrower will let it hit mons like Magearna, Mega Mawile, and Celesteela more reliably than Focus Miss, doing around the same damage, while also cleanly OHKOing Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. Meanwhile, HP Electric will 2HKO the likes of Mantine when boosted.

With a Modest nature, 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe lets Kommo-o outspeed Tapu Koko at +1. I think it's the bare minimum it needs, while being at maximum power.

Is that a Pikachu hat?

OMG BEST POKEMON GAME EVER! Literally don't care about anything else *goes to preorder the game*
who needs post game anyway? PIKACHU HAT

coverage

Now that I look at the Alola Photo feature... it would be nice if the Pokemon could battle while dressed, but well.

I may forget about it by November, but it depends on the accesories it has.

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower / Hidden Power Electric / Draco Meteor

Flamethrower will let it hit mons like Magearna, Mega Mawile, and Celesteela more reliably than Focus Miss, doing around the same damage, while also cleanly OHKOing Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. Meanwhile, HP Electric will 2HKO the likes of Mantine when boosted, and Draco can be a last-ditch effort move to hit a neutral target for much more damage if you see that your sweeps' about to end.

Actually having a 4th attacking move is nice since it'll give Kommo-o another option if it can't set up or was previously forced out. Resisting Ash-Gren's Shuriken's nice as well.

Wait... I just realized...

KOMMO-O WALLS ASH GRENINJA AND SET UPS ON HIM

Wait... I just realized...

KOMMO-O WALLS ASH GRENINJA AND SET UPS ON HIM
Yeah, it can switch into its STAB moves easily, but I wouldn't call it walling...

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Ice Beam vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 240-284 (81.6 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(While checking this, I noticed that 12 HP / 252+ SpA / 244 Spe outspeeds Ash Greninja at +1)

Also, it needs to not have transformed, as otherwise...

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 145-171 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Yes, if having coverage on one 'mon is more important than putting a super-move on another. You only get one of them per battle, after all.
Well yes, but sometimes getting rid of a counter is all you need, like if you're Volcanora or Heatran or Magearna...
also Z-Belly Drum Azumarill and Z-Conversion are things

Last edited:
Yeah, it can switch into its STAB moves easily, but I wouldn't call it walling...

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Ice Beam vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 240-284 (81.6 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(While checking this, I noticed that 12 HP / 252+ SpA / 244 Spe outspeeds Ash Greninja at +1)

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 145-171 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Ash-Gren rarely uses Ice Beam nowadays, and idk if Kommonium Z's gonna warrant the use of it just yet. It'd rather set Spikes on the switch or U-turn out.

>Running Ice Beam instead of Spikes

And yeah, I forgot to calc Ash Gren after the transformation lol

But yeah, Kommo-o wins in a 1v1 scenario

The whole idea of Kommo-o beating down greninja will be short lived, the meta will change and greninja will start to run flying coverage, or just have a better switchin

Wow Kommo-o. You might actually be on the way to redeeming yourself! I sure hope it doesn't get locked to the final island again. I didn't use it on my in-game team for Sun and the only one I have so far is just False Swiper relegated to S.O.S Battle Hell. If Jangmo-o becames available just a wee-bit sooner, I'll definitely run it on my team this time!

Also, can I just say how much I am LOVING those battle remixes right now. The I already loved the Trainer Battle theme but now it feels fresh with a whole new vibe! It's still fun and energetic but has a more serious tone that feel serves as a cool contrast to the last one. On the other hand, I utterly despised Sun and Moon's Wild Encounter music. I still cant' forget the disappointment I felt when I saw it play during those trailers last year. It had a cool beginning and then turned into a bland mess. (Thank god for the anime version. Why don't they release its soundtrack?). The new version is a much needed improvement that just blows the crappy old version out of the water, fixing all the places that sounded so week in the last one.

And now that I we'll be getting news more frequently, here's my hopes for the things US/UM will address that I didn't like in SM:

1. Reintroduce the National Dex. I have one of each of 721 Pokemon of Gens 1-6 and I have little motivation to add versions of all of them to SM because since there's no National Dex, and you can't bring them back to Gen 6, what's the point of getting one of each in SM? There's nothing else in game to show for it. Not getting my hopes up for this though.
  2. Improve the reinforcement call rates for evolved/high level Pokemon. It was so aggravating trying to grind EXP in SM because the wild battles for the higher level mons on Poni Island only called an ally successful for like 1 out every 12 attempts. As if S.O.S grinding wasn't annoying enough. Speaking of which...
  3. Let us rematch trainers freely. Whooping the Elite Four over and over gets boring real fast. Not to mention all the cutscenes and junk. Also...
  4. Fix the blasted EXP gain formula! I don't get why they made Hyper Training only possible at level 100 while making the end game grind unbearable.
  5. Wicked Tutors. But this is to be expected honestly. Really I just want to see more Alolan Pokemon viable. (Cough*Give Lycanroc all Fangs and Play Rough*Hack*And a Ground move too while you're at it*Horf*). Ahem sorry. Nasty cough.
  6. Alolan Forms for Pokemon OUTSIDE of Gen 1. Pokemon like Magcargo, Maractus, and Whiscash could use an overhaul too you know.
  7. Give us a faster way to get precise EVs outside of battle. Super Training was perfect as we could EV train our mons the moment we got them with ease. The Poke Polego by contrast takes forever.
  8. Allow the main character to EMOTE. Seeing the main character with a happy dandy face while Lusamine turned into an eldritch abomination was such a mood killer.
  9. Make the Alolan mons more common please.
  10. Let us explore Kalos in the post game.
Well I think that rounds it out. Here's hoping US and UM really deliver this time around.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Allow the main character to EMOTE. Seeing the main character with a happy dandy face while Lusamine turned into an eldritch abomination was such a mood killer.
That reminds me a theory of a friend of mine who says the player is a budist and has reached the illumination, so this is the reason the players looks so unshakeable

About Alolan forms... I'm not sure, it could be a posibility, but Gamefreak made those forms as a way to celebrate 1st gen's 25th anniversary, so I can't stay four sure if they'd add more Alolan forms from another games (I'd really wish that actually)

Only Protean LO/Scarf Greninja runs Ice Beam nowadays. Even then, it seems you forgot to take into account the +1 Kommo-o gets on both defenses:

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Ice Beam vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 140-166 (48.1 - 57%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Ice Beam vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 214-252 (73.5 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Another thing that's amusing is that Kommo-o's already bulky enough that giving it beffed up defenses makes it pretty hard to revenge kill for anything that's not scarfed Koko/Lele at full health, with only Scarf Latios and Supersonic Skystrike Celesteela getting it out completly:

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 218-258 (74.9 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Icicle Crash vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 218-258 (74.9 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Quick Attack vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 198-234 (68 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 272-324 (93.4 - 111.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Celesteela Supersonic Skystrike (140 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 20 SpD Kommo-o: 276-326 (94.8 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

I can see it putting some work behind Aurora Veil, but I'm not expecting it to get ranked higher than C+ (assuming if it gets ranked at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)