Programming Pokemon Team Builder

Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce my application, which can be used for building teams.

I call it Pokemon Team Builder and you can use it for getting team proposals based on Pokemon GL usage statistics.

It was created because I like to play WiFi Battles, but when creating teams I often have an idea about 2 or 3 Pokemon that I really want to use, but am unsure about what to use as remaining members. This application connects with the Pokemon GL API and retrieves the most often used team members for your team and tries to propose you the best Pokemon for your free slots.

After launching you will have to wait until the local pokedex is initialized, this is however a run-once operation. The pokedex will be saved as file and on subsequent runs just be loaded.

You can then select 1-6 pokemon in the boxes, either by name or by id.
Currently the usage language is English only, but I might translate it some time.

By clicking "Edit -> Choose Battle Type" you can decide whether you want to create a team for Single, Double and so on battles. The season is set to VGC 2016 and not changable at this time.

When clicking on "Propose Team" the tool will begin retrieving statistics from Pokemon GL.
Included in those statistics is the common team partners ranking.
For each open slot in your initial team I choose the pokemon, which ranking is best among all team partners that I find in Pokemon GL.
When done, the free slots are filled with the best Pokemon for your team by usage stats and you see some general information on your new team (dangerous opponents, moves, and so on).
For each member you can also open a detailed window, which shows which items, moves, natures, abilities and so on are often used, as well as some stats on which pokemon might get dangerous.

So how do you get it?

You can find the source code here: https://github.com/DigitalFlow/Pokemon-Team-Builder
You can always download the latest version of it by clicking on the green badge which says "Build | Passing" at the front page which leads here: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/DigitalFlow/pokemon-team-builder/branch/master
Click on "Artifacts" and download the zip file, which contains the ready-to-use appication.
It can be run in Linux and in Windows. In both cases you need GTK3, which can be obtained from here https://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk3win/
You will have to reboot after installing GTK3 on Windows.

In Linux you additionally need Mono, since it is a C# application. For launching it, double click the Pokemon.Team.Builder.UI.exe.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll add some screenshots of a proposed team, that only contained Charizard in the initial team, below.
Have fun with it.

Remarks: At this point of time, tier lists are not being paid attention. I want this to change in the future, so that you can choose the tier you play in just like you can choose the battle type. In addition to that, the Pokemon GL API does not pay attention to your Pokemon's form when querying the stats, so the "Form No" control for each slot is not usable right now. In all related Pokemon Lists, you will find columns that just say "0", "1" or sometimes even something different than this. Those are the form numbers, where a 1 is usually a mega evolution and 0 the plain, normal Pokemon.

Kind Regards,
Florian

Attachments

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'd like to announce, that there have been some changes in this tool.

There is now the ability to set your Tier and team proposals will only propose Pokemon that are ranked in or below your tier.
I use the Pokemon Showdown Tierlist aswell as the tier rankings from pokemon showdown.

There is still something to do regarding this logic, since the Pokemon are choosen with their highest ranking (including mega evolutions), so that more are filtered out than necessary.
But this will change soon.
I extended the Pokedex to be able to save all forms of Pokemon too, which is not yet possible though.

In addition to that, there is now multi language support for the Pokedex (the UI will be translated, too).

These are the supported languages:

English
Italian
Spanish
German
French
Chinese
Korean
Japanese
Roomaji ("Romanized" Japanese)

Please note however, that the Pokemon GL API only supports Japanese, English, French, Italian and German.
Only those languages will have all results in their native language.
The others will fall back to English for the Pokemon GL results.

As a nice gimmick, the "More Information" pages now also show the pokedex entries for the current pokemon. Be aware, that those pages are only available after a team proposal was done.

Any feedback (or features you'd like to see :) ) is appreciated.

I attach you some screenshots for a German, an English and for the fun of it also a Japanese interface.
The team for this screenshot initially only included Blastoise and is set to OU tier.

Kind Regards,
Florian

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey nice program here. I'm very happy to see your effort, I can't wait to see the "export/import to showdown" feature.

Hey Pumone,

Thanks for your support.
The Smogon integration has progressed pretty far until now.
Together with this I will rollout the export to showdown.
It was much work and we have four dexes now (Pokedex, Itemdex, Movedex, Abilitydex), but I made a first import to Showdown right now, which worked flawlessly. I'm confident that the next release will happen soon.

Kind Regards,
Florian

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to announce, that the newest version with Smogon Stat Support and Export to Pokemon Showdown is out now.
You can still find the newest version in Github.
When migrating from an older version, you can save some time by copying your pokedex.xml over, so that it does not have to get initialized first. If you run into any problems, it might however be, that your pokedex is too old and did not contain varieties, images, and so on. In this case just delete it and it will be initialized on the next start.
On the first run the application will initialize its Itemdex, Movedex, Abilitydex and Pokedex.
Unfortunately I need all those dexes, because the names in the usage statistics are formatted inproperly, so that they can not be used for export to Pokemon Showdown and have to be formatted using the dexes first.

The tool still has some rough edges to it, but when SmogonStatManager is selected as provider for usage statistics, teams are being generated by statistics and the export to showdown should work.
The PokemonGL provider does not yet support a proper export to showdown, since it stores no information on spreads.
The Smogon Stats are independent from your selected battle type, this will be added as new feature.

For any issues or feedback, please open an issue in Github.

Kind Regards,
Florian

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)