Pokemon TCG Thread

How do we not have a thread about this?!?!?!

Me and my friends play this quite a lot. Although we usually play unlimited, some of us have wanted to start playing with tournament legal cards. We went to some Pre-releases on Saturday and Sunday and had quite q good ammount of fun. It seems that you can trade an Arceus card to any little kid and they will trade for anything!

I current;y run a grass deck with Torterras, Sceptiles ( the ones that move grass energies and the one that makes them count double), Beedrills and Shaymin. Maybe later I will post my exact deck specs, but that is a basis outline. Anyone else got anything interesting to say about the PTCG?

I do: It is best played with each theme deck series, as later generation decks, compared to earlier ones, are fucking broken.

How so? Well, let us compare a Fossil Kabuto with a Majestic Dawn Kabuto.

Fossil Kabuto:

HP: 30.
Pokemon Power: Kabuto Armour.
When Kabuto is attacked by anything, damage dealt is halved, rounded down to the nearest 10 after applying weakness/resistance. Doesn't work if Kabuto is Asleep, Confused or Paralyzed.

Attack: Scratch.
Does 10 damage.

Majestic Dawn Kabuto:

HP: 80 (+50 over Fossil Kabuto)
Poke-Power: Ancient Guidance.
Once during your turn, flip a coin. If heads, search your deck for a Helix, Dome or Old Amber and place onto bench. Shuffle deck afterwards.

Attack: Shell Attack.
Does 20 damage.

(+10 over Fossil Kabuto)

By a great margin, the later gen Kabuto (MD) outclasses earlier Kabuto (Fossil) in terms of HP and offensive power.

Although one does like the whole TCG thing, and indeed had heard of Redshark, a TCG emulator much like Shoddy, one simply prefers the classic cards over these new ones. Just look at Gardevoir-ex in the EX Sandstorm deck, and tell me if that 150 HP and pair of devastating moves (one adds damage counters depending on the opponent's hand, the other deals 10 damage times the number of energy attached to all pokemon in play, with minimum damage of 40 due to energy use) doesn't render it akin to using Garchomp in UU.

I've never played with anyone except family. I have a bunch of cards but virtually all Team Rocket or older. I also have the GBC game.

I used to play at the Toys R Us Pokemon League maybe like ten years ago or however long it has been. I still have my grass/psychic deck in my room somewhere I think. I don't remember the full contents, but I think some of the power cards were the Jungle Venomoth and Sabrina's Gengar. If I remember later I'll see if I can find it. I believe I stopped collecting and playing after the first Neo set. Really enjoyed the GBC version of this game though.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been playing tournaments and league since seeing everyone playing at nationals. I'm currently running Gyarados but am building a deck around restore chomp and the new gengar x. It's pretty fun, really easy to play and get into, much more social than the vg xD.

I'm much more of a collector than a competitive player simply because I like the illustrations and don't really have the money to support competitive play. I don't have any leagues close to where I live, anyway.

By far the most prized and favorite card in my collection: Jumbo Birthday Pikachu from Pokemon Center Tokyo

Majestic Dawn Kabuto
I play this game all the time with my one and only friend who will. >_>

Anyways, about the Kabutos, I apparently own both. In fact, the best deck I have now includes Majestic Dawn Kabutops x3 with a MD Kabuto for each. I only own 2 Dome fossils, so I made up for it with the close relative to MD Kabuto with MD Omastar (with MD Omanyte included of course) and 3 Fossil excavators.

Man, this deck tears up the opponent. Kabutops is incredibly easy to set up with 3 energies (The first 1 is almost garenteed because of Dome Fossil's Rock Reaction) and rips it up with Chop up, which is surprisingly threatening when you have MD Omastar working Primal Swirl for you.

I may be exaggerating the effectiveness a little, but all you need to do is throw in bench attackers (Particularly SF Abomasnow with a very effective Snow Play + a minus 20 resistance to EVERYTHING) and then Kabutops totally puts the pressure on with Chop Up.

That's my favorite deck in a nutshell, I don't get to play much despite my total interest in the game. I'd love to hear about some crazy fancy tactics everyone's come up with in unlimited.

Ah my first love. Played this before I ever owned any of the video games in fact...at last count my collection totaled over 1000 cards, but all Gen 1 cards, mostly through the TR expansion. Don't have em with me so no pics of mine yet, but I've got Ancient Mew, GB Meowth and Promo Entei cards buried in my collection.

I ran an old-school haymaker-wave deck. Base and Fossil Magmar, Scyther, Farfetch'd, and Wigglytuff to clean house.

So many memories, anyway, I have a few rares, but my favourite had to be holographic machamp, the first edition one. First card aswell, and it looked so badass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)