Pokemon Previews: Explanation and Reservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Previews

What are Pokemon previews?

Pokemon previews are a new, temporary style of analysis we will be using in Battle Spot Singles and Doubles going into Pokebank. There's been a lot of demand for Pokebank materials, but with Pokebank's release uncertain and not enough writers to meet demand, we're going to use a new format to at least get the obvious sets out there, so you won't be left in the dark when the exciting day comes!

Pokemon Previews are super short analyses, even shorter than skeletons. They're simple, and get to the point of the Pokemon fast. These aren't forever: they will eventually be replaced with skeletons and fully written up analyses. However, they are much easier to write than the others, so the goal is to get all of these Pokemon done in about a month!

They will also focus on the post bank metagame. While it doesn't exist yet, the QC team is confident that most unreleased Pokemon will work very similarly to how they did last gen, especially now that the banlist for this season has been leaked.

Pokemon Previews will only require 1 QC check before they go onsite as well (after Pokebank releases of course)! Anyone who has a WIP analysis that isn't in GP will be automatically put into the list for the high priority Pokemon (this format will focus on those before anything else), and they will not effect any ongoing analyses.

Here is an example of a Pokemon Preview of Charizard for Battle Spot Singles. Notice the very truncated format to follow!

[OVERVIEW]

Charizard is very unpredictable due to its two Mega Evolutions, with X being a physical sweeper, and Y being a special wall breaker. These two combined make Charizard a top tier threat, but its common speed tier and weakness to Stealth Rock and Garchomp keep it in check.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: Outrage
move 4: Earthquake / Roost / Dragon Claw / Thunder Punch
item: Charizardite X
ability: Blaze
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* The standard Dragon Dance set, letting Mega Charizard X outspeed most threats in the metagame.
* It's STAB moves are very powerful, with the last move being chosen depending on what threats you want to cover, or in the case of Roost, set up on.
* Jolly lets you outspeed Choice Scarf Tapu Lele after a Dragon Dance.
* Save this Pokemon for late game, since Fairy-types and Fire-resists are a big barrier to it sweeping. Outrage in particular should be saved for late game due to Fairy-types.
* Consider Pokemon that help deal with Garchomp, Suicuine, Tapu Fini, and Mega Slowbro.

[SET]
name: Versatile Sweeper
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Flame Charge
move 3: Outrage
move 4: Flare Blitz / Earthquake
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Swords Dance and Flame Charge make Mega Charizard X into a more effective wall breaker, with its STABs 2HKOing even resistsances.
* Adamant maximizes Mega Charizard X's power, but Jolly ensures you outspeed Timid Tapu Lele.
* Its stabs are fairly risky, so you can replace Flare Blitz with Earthquae to reliably handle Heatran and Tapu Koko.
* Like most sweepers, it's best to save Mega Charizard X for late game, especially since it relies on Outrage and Flare Blitz.
* You will often choose to set up Flame Charge or Swords Dance depending on the makeup of your opponent's team.
* Stealth Rock is a good idea to ensure Mega Charizard X blasts through walls.
* You'll also need a Garchomp and Mega Salamence check so you won't be forced to Outrage often.
* Finally, consider Pokemon that can restore Charizard's health, such as users of Lunar Dance, Healing Wish, Z-Parting Shot, or Z-Memento.

[SET]
name: Drought Attacker
move 1: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
move 2: Solar Beam
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Overheat / Hidden Power Ice / Earthquake / Roost / Flame Charge
item: Charizardite Y
ability: Blaze / Solar Power
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Mega Charizard Y is a powerful wall breaker thanks to Drought. Choose between power or reliability with Flamethrower vs Fire Blast, take advantage of the sun with Solar beam to slam Water-types. The rest of the moves are coverage that depends on what your team needs.
* Timid ensures you outspeed Tapu Lele, but Modest brings plenty of power to the table.
* Mega Charizard Y works best early game, especially if you see bulky Stealth Rock Pokemon such as Hippowdon or Swampert in team preview, so you can defeat them and avoid getting hit by Stealth Rock yourself.
* Bring checks to popular Electric-types such as Tapu Koko, Thundurus, and Rotom-H. Also consider a Pokemon to defeat specially defensive Alolan Marowak.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Roost
move 3: Dragon Claw
move 4: Earthquake / Flame Charge
nature: Jolly
evs: 164 HP / 116 Def / 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* This Mega Charizard X suprises foes with its good bulk and utility with Will-O-Wisp. It acts as a good check to threats such as Mimikyu, Kartana, and Tapu Bulu. Earthquake ensures Nihilego and Heatran can't switch in for free, but Flame Charge lets Mega Charizard X outspeed threats such as Garchomp.
* The EVs and Nature allow Mega Charizard X to outspeed Jolly Mimikyu, and take less damage from Stealth Rock.
* Use Will-O-Wisp as much as possible to catch Mega Charizard X's checks off guard, such as Hippowdon, Landorus-T, and Azumarill.
* Consider carrying Pokemon that have an easier time with Pokemon that Mega Charizard X lures and burns. You'll also want Pokemon that can deal with bulky set up Pokemon that don't care about status moves such as Suicune and Tapu Fini.

Without further ado, here are the list of Pokemon to reserve! You'll have 2 days to complete them under normal circumstances, since these are supposed to be super short! Please only reserve a Pokemon if you are confident in your abilities, especially if you've played last gen!

Ferrothorn
Heatran
Hippowdon
Hydreigon
Landorus-T
Porygon2
Suicune
Thundurus
Tyranitar
Beedrill
Celesteela
Buzzwole
Serperior
Chansey
Blissey
Skarmory
Toxapex
Slowbro
Gliscor
Magnezone
Azumarill
Zapdos
Alolan Muk

Amoonguss
Alolan Marowak
Alolan Ninetales
Alolan Muk
Celesteela
Cresselia
Excadrill
Ferrothorn
Gengar (Mega)
Hydreigon
Kingdra
Mega Kangaskhan
Mega Metagross
Mega Salamence
Milotic
Nihilego
Oranguru
Politoed
Tapu Bulu
Tapu Fini
Tapu Koko
Zapdos
Mawile
Kartana
Arcanine
Porygon2
Mimikyu
Greninja
Torkoal
Gastrodon
Araquanid
Snorlax
Aerodactyl
Pheromosa
Whimsicott

Tapu Lele - Theorymon
Kartana - dogknees
Pheromosa - dogknees
Blaziken - Feesh Squad
Porygon-Z - Feesh Squad
Blissey - Theorymon
Gengar - Theorymon

[/HIDE]

Aegislash - Theorymon
Sylveon - Leader Wallace
Ludicolo - Theorymon
Garchomp - Theorymon

These are Pokemon who have people working on there analyses already. Please post in the thread if you also want to do the previews for them!

Alolan Ninetales - Theorymon
Mega Metagross - dogknees

For these mons, they have basically finished skeletons and will probably only need some edits to adjust them for post bank. Please contact a mod so we can figure stuff out!

Aegislash - Theorymon
Xurkitree - dogknees
Mamoswine - Pilobacon

Charizard - Theorymon
Cresselia - Theorymon
Venusaur - Theorymon
Excadrill - Theorymon
Rotom-W - Theorymon
Rotom-H - Theorymon
Metagross - dogknees
Tapu Bulu - dogknees
Lucario -
dogknees
Cloyster - dogknees
Garchomp - Theorymon
Metagross - dogknees
Volcarona - dogknees
Kangaskhan - Theorymon
Dragonite - GateCreeper
Breloom - GateCreeper
Pelipper - Psynergy
Mawile - Psynergy
Nihilego - Theorymon
Azumrill - Feesh Squad

Last edited by a moderator:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got about 4 hours till my VGC match (that I will probably bomb lol), so I'ma take on 4 of these mons and rapid fire them: Rotom-W, Rotom-H, Excadrill, and Mega Venusaur.

Theorymon

After I take a nap, I'ma do: Doubles Tapu Lele, Doubles Charizard, and Singles Tapu Fini

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I'll start with Doubles Landorus-T edit: ready for qc

Doing Doubles Heatran now

Last edited:
Mega-Metagross is done and Tapu Bulu is still a work in progress but i need some answers before i can continue with that. So, in the meantime, I'll tackle Mega-Lucario!

Theorymon

My missions for today are: Doubles Pelipper, Doubles Aegislash, Singles Garchomp, Singles Mega Kangaskhan, and Singles Tapu Koko (despite having a fully written up analysis, that mofo is more versatile than expected, and really needs something up asap)

Theorymon

Hulavuta is dropping Tapu Lele, so I'm gonna finish it with Aegislash tomorrow!

Theorymon

Now that I got spring break and much less of a workload in college, I think its about time I put the peddle to the meddle so we can get most of these out while season 3 is young! For singles, I'll be working on Nihilego and Thundurus-T, while I'll work on Ludicolo for doubles.

I'll try to get these mofos done by tomorrow!

Theorymon

OK, some updates for Previews!

Mega Mawile is now available for reserving in both singles and doubles!

Mega Beedrill is now available for reserving in singles!

Unfortunately, since the person who reserved Pelipper hasn't been on since last year, Pelipper is now available for reservation in singles!

Just to note: We aren't going to stick to previews forever. I know things really slowed down this month, partly because school and real life got in the way for a lot of QC. However, I'm thinking we should aim to get previews done by mid April. After that, we will move on to full analyses!

EDIT: Buzzwole and Celesteela are also up for reservation again.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Don't have too much else going on right now so I'll get some stuff done now while I can, I'll take Mawile and Pelipper for now.

While I'm waiting for more Greninja feedback, ima take Porygon-Z for singles

Edit:
don't really want to make a second post, but since I got nothing to do right bow, I'm claiming Blaziken (singles)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)