Sticky Pokemon Direct - 6th June Discussion - Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do Game Freak always give us useless rewards? 10 Quick Balls for S/M was meh but 50 Potions? Seriously? That's a bit...pathetic when you're past the early game. Really wish they'd give us something more useful that lasts for most of the game at least.

EDIT: http://www.pokemon.jp/special/mystery/ is related to the video, so definitely USUM related I think (EDIT 2: misread the date as November not July lol but still entirely possible), posting here as I don't think its been posted already

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Not sure if important:
What is that... thing which appears at 0:56ish? I haven't played BW2 and it looks like it might be from that (if it is, please don't spoil! Just say it's from BW2 and I'll be satisfied), but otherwise I've never seen it before.

e @ below: thanks! Guess I'll need to get round to playing those sooner rather than later.

What does Nanikaga Okoru mean cause that's what the unowns spell
Just looked it up it means something occurs.
Nanika ga Okuro なにかがおこる
means: "what will happen?"

also should this tread even be open anymore considering the site explicitly mentions 17/7/19 as the next time they'll reveal something?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
also should this tread even be open anymore considering the site explicitly mentions 17/7/19 as the next time they'll reveal something?
Nah, it seems like few enough people post in it for us to even bother locking it.

Also, where did you find that claim? All I've found on the site is the launch date. There appears to be a little more content on the Japanese site, but nothing that looks like July 19. Sure you're not confusing it with the launch date, which is November 17?

So correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this just another in a long line of cute, but ultimately meaningless dengki pokemon websites that focus on different aspects of the franchise?
Off the top of my head they've done
-Slowpoke Paradise featuring a song, and just about every information you could want about slowpoke and its family
-Halloween featuring new artwork of all the terrifying things ghost pokemon can do, including 2 pieces by Junji Ito
-another halloween featuring mimikyu (though that could just have been a merchandise line)
-A site all about Machamp's line, feautring cute in-universe npcs gushing over them, some trainer tips, and a machoke mover "commercial". This one was before SM iirc, so people thought this was a "hint" towards mega machamp
-A personal favorite, a site hosted by a Scienist & his Koffing about general information and "science" behind the different regions. This is the site that gave us all that cool artwork of trainers using hm moves to get past things.

And I'm sure there's been others. None of them really lead to anything beyond a few videos and artwork.

My point being: this is just a website to highlight fun mysteries of the franchise and not leading to a big thing about USUM. At best I can see an open ended section on Necrozma and the USUM stuff going "but is there some connection.....?????????!!!!!???"

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
-A personal favorite, a site hosted by a Scienist & his Koffing about general information and "science" behind the different regions. This is the site that gave us all that cool artwork of trainers using hm moves to get past things.
That one's new to me. Where can I find it?

As for this new "mystery" site, yeah, I also wondering if it was going to be something like Machamp's Gym. I imagine if it had any USUM news they would have told players and might be getting an English version. But seems like it'll just go over general space/dimension mysteries of the Pokemon World (I'd give them extra points for creativity if they make the host Burnet considering that's her field of study).

That one's new to me. Where can I find it?

As for this new "mystery" site, yeah, I also wondering if it was going to be something like Machamp's Gym. I imagine if it had any USUM news they would have told players and might be getting an English version. But seems like it'll just go over general space/dimension mysteries of the Pokemon World (I'd give them extra points for creativity if they make the host Burnet considering that's her field of study).
Here you go
http://www.pokemon.jp/special/moyadoga/
Incidentally, there was even a "sequel" for Alola, I think done as a tourist guide http://www.pokemon.jp/special/alola/

All of the special sites are listed here http://www.pokemon.jp/special/
It looks like the "mystery" website will be hosted by a hex maniac and a ruin maniac.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Today marks six weeks since the announcement of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. And, coincidentally, six weeks since we heard anything about the games at all. Save for the odd steel case collectors' edition thingamajig, of course. Meanwhile, we're 17 weeks 3 days away from release (friday Nov. 17). This means that more than a quarter of the pre-release period has already passed since the games were announced. And it is a short pre-release period too, only five months. Usually, games are announced more than half a year before they are released. Up to ten months for new base games. But still, the first month-and-a-half of those five have been in total silence. Nothing to speculate about. Nothing to discuss. Nothing to be excited for.

The lack of news got me slightly annoyed at TPC's marketing, so I had a look at the last time we had a pre-release period for a follow-up game, namely ORAS. And then this post sort of ballooned, so prepare for a long read:

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were announced on May 7, 2014, with a mostly-worldwide release date on November 21 the same year. The initial announcement could be boiled down to "Hoenn confirmed!", it only showed the boxart and nothing else. Technically, it teased Primal Groudon/Kyogre, but with nothing else to go on, it was commonly believed that these were just the regular forms drawn in an artistic style for the boxart. And from then on, here's a timeline of (official) announcements:
  • A new trailer dropped on May 10. It showed nothing but Groudon and Kyogre activating their (Primal) abilities.
  • The first actual trailer was released on June 10. Coincidentally, this was exactly as far from ORAS' release date as the USUM announcement was from its release. However, the ORAS trailer showed a lot more than the USUM announcement did.
  • June 11, Mega Sableye was revealed.
  • June 12, the Hoenn starters' Megas were revealed.
  • Then followed a month of silence. On July 14, Mega Metagross was revealed (coincidy-doo, we're exactly as far from USUM release date today as this was from ORAS' - I daresay we knew a lot more about those games at that point in time than we now do about USUM).
  • Another month or silence. Then a rapid series of announcements:
    • Mega Altaria, Lopunny, and Salamence revealed on July 10.
    • Mega Audino revealed on August 14. The fandom goes "huh?".
    • Mega Slowbro on August 16.
  • Another month passes. September 14, we get Mega Sharpedo, Camerupt, and Gallade. Primal Groudon and Kyogre are also formally revealed in the same trailer.
  • October 2, Mega Rayquaza is revealed. The fandom goes "huh?" again.
  • Mega Lati@s step out of the Hall of Fame of Poorly Kept Pokémon Secrets and into the limelight on October 14. Soaring is revealed.
  • The ORAS demo is released on October 15 (and is promptly datamined). Mega Glalie and Steelix are revealed.
  • The Delta Episode was revealed on November 13.
  • The games' last trailer, the animated one, was released on November 20. And then the games were released on the following day, and all the remaining info leaked within hours.

So you see that information was more spread-out, and although the initial period of silence lasted for over a month, it was nowhere as long as the one we're currently experiencing. Then again, we sort of knew the premise of remakes and the geography of Hoenn already, so there was a bit less uncertainty to speculate on both in terms of story and gameplay.

However, you can see that most of the announcements consisted of newly revealed Mega Evolutions. From June 10 to September 14, we got nothing but Megas (maybe some character art, I can't remember). Then there was a month of effective silence, until the demo, and another month until the Delta Epsode was revealed. The YouTube videos I glanced at did not immediately tell me when Mega Pidgeot, Beedrill, or Diancie were revealed, but the conclusion remains the same: ORAS had Megas to show off, so it showed off Megas. All the Megas. And this intensive marketing campaign burned every bit of powder they had; when the games were finally out, it turned out that there was nothing left unannounced. They even threw the entire postgame (the Delta Episode) at us. I can't remember of the makeover of Mauville was shown in the marketing campaign, but if not, it was pretty much the only thing not shown ahead of release (well, that and the lack of a Battle Frontier, which we had hoped for until the bitter end). And TPC got a bit of flak for that, so it is understandable that they might have wanted to hold back some secrets for players to discover in USUM. That means less news to drop in the pre-release period.

And then I realized: "Wait, this whole situation is more comparable to BW2 than to ORAS! The latter were a remake of a known game, the former a follow-up to a pair of base games in the same generation, presumed to be the last of its console generation since it was revealed after the release of a successor console, and basically everything else fits too! Let's scroll back to 2012 to look at BW2's release period!"

...Holy fudge, TPC was bad at marketing back then.

We thought that the five-month pre-release period for USUM was short, but it had nothing on BW2. Those games were revealed on February 26, 2012, slated for a release in Japan in June (later turned out to be June 23), less than four months later. Of course, this announement was done at a Japanese kids' show aired exclusively in Japan, at a time of day when most of the Western world was dead asleep. Pokémon fans outside of Japan were at best considered an afterthought in those days, so we got an international announcement the following day. No release date was given until the Japanese release. The Pokémon YouTube channel only revealed information at the announcement, and then the final trailer on June 21, so I had to go to Serebii to find the following news drop dates:
  • The initial announcement of February 26/27 only showed Sugimori art of the Kyurem formes on a blank background, and a sentence to the effect of "Pokemon Black and White Versions 2: Coming June/Fall 2012".
  • March's CoroCoro gave us boxart of the games. Of course, their mascots had already been shown.
  • On March 30, a month and a week after the initial announcement, it was revealed/leaked that the Formes would retain Kyurem's typing and learn Ice Burn/Freeze Shock.
  • At some point (I forgot to write down the date when I checked this for a Discord convo earlier today), it was announced that "major news" would be revealed at Pokémon Smash (the aforementioned Japan-exclusive kids show). All they showed was the boxart again.
  • Around the same time (possibly at the exact same show), April 9, Japan got the games' release date: June 23.
  • April's CoroCoro gave the first batch of actual information on BW2. We got character art of the player character, and what turned out to be Hugh, and possibly a Gym Leader or two.
  • April 14 saw the release of the first trailer for the games. This was almost two months after the inital announcement, and a little more than two months before the games were actually released.
  • A slightly extended version of the same trailer was shown on April 21. The Pokédex 3D Pro 3DS app was shown at the same time, giving us the first silhouette of what turned out to be Tornadus-T.
  • The Therian Formes were revealed in CoroCoro the following month.
  • On May 16, the famous animated BW2 trailer was released.
  • Two TV trailers were released on June 2 and 6. This is less than three weeks before the release of the games.
  • Keldeo Resolute Forme was revealed on June 10.
  • The first international trailer was dropped on June 21, just before the Japanese release.
I think this release period was an eye opener for The Pokémon Company, who had presumably intended to keep the game "on the shelf" outside Japan until they had finished the Japanese marketing campaign and release. They had a home market to cater to first, and then the international market later. But the Western fan sites followed the information drips closely, and spread the news to a hungry international fanbase in real-time, even defying time zones. When it was time to market the game in the West, most of the potential customers with the means to follow a marketing campaign had long since heard every bit of news from fan sites, and were busy planning their teams for their first and second playthroughs - if they hadn't already imported the game from Japan.

Anyway, enough nostalgia. I could write several paragraphs on inept marketing with a lot of comparisons to "The Emperor's New Clothes", but they're off-topic here. What we can learn from the BW2 pre-release is that even a short pre-release period can be pretty uneventful. A minimalist announcement, followed two months of absolute quiet, most of the actual information revealed in the final month before release.

What's the important distinction between ORAS and BW2, except for the horrendous marketing strategy? ORAS had marketable, bite-sized content in the form of Mega Evolutions. Some twenty new critters that could be dropped at regular intervals between the announcement and the release, and they filled the time by revealing every single one in the time available, plus the content of the postgame (and Hoopa-U, for good measure). Of course, this is similar to the role played by new Pokémon in the pre-release period of XY and SM. BW2 only had the Therian trio, the Kyurem Formes and the new Keldeo Forme, six creatures in total, of which two were the games' mascots and had to be revealed at the very beginning.

So I think the lack of information from USUM can be interpreted in two possible ways:

1) Like in BW2, they don't have much information to show us, so they wait until the last 2-3 months before release.
2) They have content like in ORAS (obvious candidates: more Alola Forms), but they aren't many enough to last through the entire pre-release period, and/or they don't want to reveal them all ahead of release like they did last time.

I won't make any conclusions at this moment. Either way, I think news will be more frequent from August or September on. At some point, they have to start actually marketing these games, not just telling loyal fans that they exist. We'd know anyway, but the guys sitting on fences all around the world might not.

The mystery website was disappointing, but I suppose it was expected to not really give us USUM information. After browsing the site (in the hilariously bad google translate mode) there doesn't appear to be anything? The Ultra Beast segment of the site didn't reveal much of anything either, apart from that Unown might be related to the UBs somehow. As Codraroll said, they need to start marketing these games soon. Right now I have little motivation to buy the games except for them just being Pokemon games (which isn't much) and the hopes of a BW2 success sequel. It'd be nice to have a bit more to go off.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
It could also be noted that the BW2 pre-release period was concurrent with the release of Pokémon Conquest, or "Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition" as Serebii kept referring to it as at the time, so it was sort-of understandable that they didn't want to steal that game's thunder by dropping BW2 news all the time. After all, spin-offs have a hard enough time on the market without the fans becoming overly excited for a wholly different game at the same time.

However, now there aren't any other Pokémon games out there that needs headline space. I mean, I guess there's Magikarp Jump and Pokémon Duel, but neither of them could be considered big releases, and it's not like Nintendo markets them heavily (or do they, in Japan?). Pokémon Go just got the raid update, but the overlapping demographics between Go and the core series is marginal at best. I guess that's part of the reason why it feels so annoyingly quiet at the moment. We don't have anything USUM related to discuss, and we don't have any other game to be excited for either.

@Codraroll Since this thread is about the Pokemon Direct as a whole - do Pokken Tournament DX and the VC releases of G/S count? :toast:

This actually gives me the opportunity to post about something I've been hypothesizing:

So obviously the primary guessed reason for VC G/S being released alone without Crystal is so that Game Freak can release Crystal later and make more money. But there's something else about a Crystal VC release that I haven't seen anyone mention yet.

In all existing Japanese cartridges of Crystal, as of 2002, the Battle Tower is permanently closed, and so is just about all of the PokeCom Center.

Game Freak might not want to rerelease a game to its primary audience (Japan) that'll have two of its big unique facilities forever shut off. So there's three main alternate possibilities:
  • Game Freak doesn't release VC Crystal, sidestepping everything.
  • Game Freak brings Japanese VC Crystal in line with the international original releases of Crystal (rework the Battle Tower to replace mobile Trainers with generic predetermined Trainers, leave ~2/3 of the PokeCom Center permanently blocked or even replace it with a regular Pokemon Center).
  • Game Freak modifies Japanese VC Crystal to make some equivalent of the Mobile System GB work again.
Of course, the biggest hope for audiences outside Japan is for the last one to happen, because then the new modifications could be carried over and the wildest dream would be for international VC Crystal to officially experience for the first time everything that was unique to Japanese Crystal. Let's not forget this was the very first precursor to the GTS to ever exist, featuring even 'friend codes' (actual phone numbers!) for battling and trading nationally.

Realistically though? ...None of the options sound all that realistic. The easiest option (release as-is) leaves a bunch of permanently blocked/locked doors as well as a bunch of NPCs saying stuff like "We're making preparations right now! Once you connect to the Mobile System GB for the first time, I'll step aside" when they've been utterly immobile for ~15 years. Alternate option #1 would almost certainly cost Game Freak too much money to be worth it. Alternate option #2 sounds perfectly reasonable from an international Crystal player's point of view (and the code they used to e.g. rework the Battle Tower could hypothetically be reused), but it sounds a lot weirder considering the average Japanese Crystal player who won't have seen or cared about any international modifications before. And alternate option #3 is just getting my hopes up too much so I'll stop.

The only thing we have to really compare to is the VC rerelease of Yellow, which had the following changes in all regions:
  • The Print option in the Pokedex now does literally nothing. It doesn't even bring up the Printer Error screen.
  • The Surfing Pikachu minigame check is relaxed to only see if the starter Pikachu is in the party. It doesn't care whether they know Surf or not.
  • But, the posters on the back wall of the minigame house do not have their checks changed. (They used to display generic stuff if the minigame was locked and gameplay tips if the minigame was unlocked; in VC they're stuck always displaying the generic text.)
So Game Freak is clearly willing to make some changes to their games, but they might not polish it up all the way. (The Print option could easily have been deleted from the submenu, and the poster checks could have copied off the newly-changed minigame check.) This would seem to rule out the as-is option (no changes) and alternate option #3 (polished all the way), leaving alternate option #2 as the most likely. But then again the comparison breaks down here, since we've never had a rerelease that specifically (1) had now-inaccessible features in one region only, and (2) had an additional feature in the other regions (adding new, generic Trainers to the Battle Tower).

If Game Freak takes Japanese Crystal and goes for the minimal changes like in Yellow (prevent now-useless diagnostic text; soften the minimum number of checks), then we have:
  • Somehow remove all the diagnostic text from the PCC? Do all the blocking NPCs just say "..." or something now and keep on blocking? Comparing this to Print from Yellow actually makes it start to seem reasonable.
  • Delete the code that locks the Battle Tower doors before a mobile connection? But then the Battle Tower's still non-functional as the receptionist can't reach anyone; iirc the generic Trainers were newly added to international original releases of Crystal. Japanese Crystal players have never seen these Trainers and they don't even have official Japanese names. Creating them for the first time isn't 'minimal' anymore.
Knowing Game Freak, I guess the only correct answer at this time is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

That's all I've got to say. Here's to more USUM news coming soon.

Last edited:
In addition to Crystal being more difficult to port on VC than GS due to the aforementioned technical issues, you don't even need Crystal or Yellow to catch 'em all in the classic games. The funny thing is that players only require the English RB and GS to catch the first 251 Pokémon from Gens 1 and 2. I personally don't mind the lack of Crystal due to its strange in-game distribution of Johto-native Pokémon. Ampharos and its prevos aren't even available in that version without trading.

I seriously don't see a world where they don't go with the international version as the base. It is probably the easiest & cheapest option and somehow I don't think the average crystal player 18 years later cares that the feature only people who had a phone adapter in the first place is gone.

Personally I think the only reason Crystal isn't launching with GS is because it is distinctly the definitive version. Yellow had some extra stuff & refined graphics but it was super minor beyond the front sprites & gym rosters (and those are just Different, not Definitive). Crystal added a bunch of things that are a lot more obvious.

if the switch (or whatever) ever gets to gen 3, I suspect we'll see the same thing. RS goes first as a pair, Emerald comes later.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That said a new Necrozma form wouldn't be that Farfetch'd farfetched. I mean, sure, right now it looks like they're pulling a reverse Kyurem with Necrozma seemingly fusing with one of the Cosmog evos, but then again GF doesn't like repeating ideas. Maybe it'll be revealed the Necrozma we know is just a shell covering and inside the shell is the real Necrozma, the true Ultra Beast. And in order to turn Necrozma into its true form it breaks it armor and attached it to the Cosmog evos for some reason, maybe needing a connection to them in order for its true form to survive outside the shell.

It's not necessarily that. Those question marks could easily just be placeholders to get people excited; for all we know they could be Tapus or Bewear or Stenee.

"During Nintendo's financial releases today, Nintendo relisted the newly announced Pokémon game for Nintendo Switch. In this listing, it gave a release date for the game, following on from Tsunekazu Ishihara's statement in the Nintendo Showcase at E3. It lists the game as coming out on Nintendo Switch in "2018 or later"."
~Serebii

Today we got the extremely unexpected news that Pokémon for the Switch isn't coming out in the next 5 months. Golly!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
"During Nintendo's financial releases today, Nintendo relisted the newly announced Pokémon game for Nintendo Switch. In this listing, it gave a release date for the game, following on from Tsunekazu Ishihara's statement in the Nintendo Showcase at E3. It lists the game as coming out on Nintendo Switch in "2018 or later"."
So, if only we had boxart of that game, and knew the region it takes place in, we'd know just as much about it as we currently do about USUM.

By the way, it's been 7 weeks since the announcement of USUM, with 16 weeks left until the games hit the shelves. Sometime this weekend, we'll have spent one full third of the pre-release period in absolute silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)