Pokedex entries that simply cannot make sense.

Which pokedex entries do you think defy logic so much that they simply cannot be accurate? Like gardevoir making a 'small' black hole and there still being a planet afterwards. I know they were probably thinking of a football-sized black hole sucking up a building rather than a star-sized black hole sucking up a solar system. But if a real black hole was a millimetre in diameter, that would be enough to end the world.

Similarly magcargo actually being 18,000 degrees Fahrenheit would definitely kill any human who was anywhere near it.

Another one is cubone wearing their dead mother's skull (A. You can breed cubones and the mothers are okay. B. The species couldn't survive because the female population would be cut in half, and couldn't increase because they would only be able to die and produce one skull each which would 50/50 go to a male cubone).

My favorite obscure one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterRant/comments/62zfph
"""
"Lanturn is known to emit light. If you peer down into the dark sea from a ship at night, you can sometimes see this Pokémon's light rising from the depths where it swims. It gives the sea an appearance of a starlit night."​
"The light it emits is so bright that it can illuminate the sea's surface from a depth of over three miles [exactly 5 kilometers in Japanese original]"​
No it can't. It just fucking cannot do that. The only way to illuminate the surface from 5 kilometres depth is to fucking vaporize the water inbetween. Why? Because water is excellent at dampening light, it does so exponentially. Here's an askscience thread on the matter (I hope I'm allowed to link to it)​
But that's for the Mariana Trench (11000m) and due to the exponential nature I'm forced to do the math for our depth myself.​
The formula turns out to be I(d) = I(0) * e^(-d*a)​
I(0) is light power input, d is depth and a is water absorbtion for a specific wavelength of light. For I(d), the light power we get at the surface I'll go with 5 milliwatts. d is 5000m and a is 0.05 for the yellow light Lanturn outputs.​
Yes you're reading this right, the light output of a Lanturn would have to be at least 10^105 Watts for its light to reach the surface. Each second it releases more energy than 10^35 observable universe mass energy equivalents.​
This is obviously not true. It can't be true because the Pokemon universe hasn't turned into a universe sized black hole yet.​
"""

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
On the topic of light, Ampharos's light is stated to be bright enough to be visible from space.

...I'm not an expert, but wouldn't that be powerful enough to blind everyone around it? https://thephysicsofpokemon.weebly.com/ampharos.html puts Ampharos's brightness as comparable to a very small star; a single Ampharos would presumably be powerful enough to light up the surrounding area for miles around and burn out the retinas of anyone who came remotely close to it.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Here’s one from Goodra (Pokémon Y):
“It attacks with retractable horns. It throws a punch that's the equivalent of the force of a hundred pro boxers.”

Not sure about that since it’s base Attack is only 100, and doesn’t have a move to reflect that.

Another one is from Regice:
“<…> Things will freeze solid just by going near this Pokémon. Its icy body is so cold, it will not melt even if it is immersed in magma.”

Not melting, sure, but then explain how it is still weak to Fire? Also (thankfully) it doesn’t really freeze anyone it touched or get hit by.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Here’s one from Goodra (Pokémon Y):
“It attacks with retractable horns. It throws a punch that's the equivalent of the force of a hundred pro boxers.”

Not sure about that since it’s base Attack is only 100, and doesn’t have a move to reflect that.
Don't try and rationalise how in-game stats match up with physical traits or attributes. Just... don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)