Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Kingdra:
Dex said:
Gold/LG/HG/X: It is said that it usually hides in underwater caves. It can create whirlpools by yawning.
Silver/FR/SS: It sleeps deep on the ocean floor to build its energy. It is said to cause tornadoes as it wakes.
Ruby/OR: Kingdra lives at extreme ocean depths that are otherwise uninhabited. It has long been believed that the yawning of this Pokémon creates spiraling ocean currents.
Emerald: It sleeps quietly, deep on the seafloor. When it comes up to the surface, it creates a huge whirlpool that can swallow even ships.
DPP/BW+2/: It lives in caves on the seafloor and creates giant whirlpools every time it moves.
Doesn't learn Whirlpool (does learn Yawn and Twister though).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
A bit of a different line of thinking: why aren't "Light" moves a thing?

"Ugh, really, we're going to talk about fictional Types?"

No, I'm talking about moves that are made of light. While we have moves that are said to be made of light, that's really where it starts and ends.

"So?"

Well, "Sound" moves are a thing. We have Abilities and Moves specifically made to interact with moves that are made from sound. In addition all Sound moves were given a special effect in Gen VI, they can hit Pokemon who are behind substitutes.

And "Sound" isn't the only special category of moves. We got the Spores/Powders, the Bombs/Balls, the Pulse/Waves/Aura, Punches (though no kicks, despite having Pokemon specifically designed as kickers), Dances, etc..

Yet, we have nothing for "Light" aside flavor text info. For those curious, here are the moves that are made of light:
  • Attacks: Judgement, Swift, Techno Blast, Power Gem, Signal Beam, Doom Desire, Flash Cannon, Mirror Shot, Solar Beam, Origin Pulse, Luster Purge, Aurora Beam, Dazzling Gleam, Light of Ruin
  • Status: Flash, Spotlight, Tail Glow, Light Screen, Reflect, Safeguard?, Aurora Veil?
(I'm also debating whether "Beam/Ray/Laser" moves should be counted. I added some that made sense but curious if I should add more.)

We even have an Ability that has to do with light: Illuminate.

Things just seem in place for light to become its own special move category.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
After catching a Zangoose for my OR team earlier today and using the Shadow Claw TM on it, I learned something new.

Zangoose doesn't learn Cut.

....why? It even comes pre-packaged with Slash when you catch it. lol

In Gen 7, Mantyke can learn Earthquake from:
  • anywhere (all moves are level-up/tutor/TM/HM in gen 7)

.... Yeah. I don't even know if anyone can explain this, but if you can, please provide me on why Mantyke can summon Earthquakes.
"Flying Rays" are known for breaching out of the water and slamming into the surface.
Earthquake in Pokémon is often displayed as the monster stomping, jumping or crashing onto the ground to create a seismic wave.

In before...
"Mantyke is way too light to cause an Earthquake like this, stupid Nelson."

Bunnelby, Ekans, Mankey, Poliwhirl, Slowpoke, Chansey, Pineco, Snubbull, Teddiursa, Spheal and Yungoos are all much lighter than Mantyke, not Ground-types and are also able to use Earthquake.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
"Flying Rays" are known for breaching out of the water and slamming into the surface.
Earthquake in Pokémon is often displayed as the monster stomping, jumping or crashing onto the ground to create a seismic wave.

In before...
"Mantyke is way too light to cause an Earthquake like this, stupid Nelson."

Bunnelby, Ekans, Mankey, Poliwhirl, Slowpoke, Chansey, Pineco, Snubbull, Teddiursa, Spheal and Yungoos are all much lighter than Mantyke, not Ground-types and are also able to use Earthquake.
Chansey the fatty is lighter than Mantyke? What?

*checks measurements*

While we're on this WTF train, how is Chansey only 70ish pounds?

Where does all that HP come from then?
Chansey utlizes no biological means known to man. Chansey very light but very big. Result, Chansey not very dense. Not dense means hard time withstanding damage. Low density also means meat is not tough – if meat is tough, organism must be more dense.

Only possible explanation for why Chansey withstands so much damage, given such frail biology: Chansey regenerates damaged cellular mass so quickly that any grave injuries will be healed quite a bit, in short time. Only complete cell death in every cell will kill Chansey. To achieve such advanced regenerative capabilities, is impossible biologically – fast regeneration will give off massive heat and require a lot of food. Energy for regeneration cannot be generated instantaneously (first law of thermodynamics).

Thus, to achieve level of regeneration, requires supernatural abilities. Chansey uses witchcraft to outlast and torment foes.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Chansey utlizes no biological means known to man. Chansey very light but very big. Result, Chansey not very dense. Not dense means hard time withstanding damage. Low density also means meat is not tough – if meat is tough, organism must be more dense.

Only possible explanation for why Chansey withstands so much damage, given such frail biology: Chansey regenerates damaged cellular mass so quickly that any grave injuries will be healed quite a bit, in short time. Only complete cell death in every cell will kill Chansey. To achieve such advanced regenerative capabilities, is impossible biologically – fast regeneration will give off massive heat and require a lot of food. Energy for regeneration cannot be generated instantaneously (first law of thermodynamics).

Thus, to achieve level of regeneration, requires supernatural abilities. Chansey uses witchcraft to outlast and torment foes.
So Chansey is fat?

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You know, I've read the entirety of this thread more than once, and I'm still amazed at some explanations that are borderline genius.
So, here's my question: how about submitting it in TFP as a full-fledged article, by picking the best examples of why certain Pokémon can learn certain moves that are seemingly illogical but actually make sense?
http://www.smogon.com/articles/movepool-oddities

Been there done that.
Hopefully it'll draw new people to this thread!

http://www.smogon.com/articles/movepool-oddities

Been there done that.
Hopefully it'll draw new people to this thread!
Decent article, not sure why Parasect was featured. Wasn't that big of a deal. The Beheeyem thing was very smart, I never caught that. Has Steel Wing only recently been added to its movepool or has it been there since Gen 5?

What qualities about a Pokemon determine how much HP they have? Or attacking power? Or defenses? Or Speed? Usually fat things have a lot of health, but what about Gogoat? Usually things have high defenses if they're metal or rocky or have a shell, but what about Dusknoir? Naturally quick creatures just seem to be fast, but what about cotton ball Whimsicott?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Powder: if it covers the target in a powder that explodes on contact with fire, why doesn't it instantly activate on Pokemon who have a flame as part of their design? Also why would Powder activate on Heat Wave (a move which is hot air, not fire), Shell Trap (at least on the set up turn), and Sunny Day (a move that just clears the clouds to let sunshrine through)? If its that sensitive to heat, should it explode on contact with most Fire-types anyway?

Powder: if it covers the target in a powder that explodes on contact with fire, why doesn't it instantly activate on Pokemon who have a flame as part of their design? Also why would Powder activate on Heat Wave (a move which is hot air, not fire), Shell Trap (at least on the set up turn), and Sunny Day (a move that just clears the clouds to let sunshrine through)? If its that sensitive to heat, should it explode on contact with most Fire-types anyway?
Powder isn't sensitive to heat as much as is easily flammable, Heat Wave is hot enough to burn which is what triggers powder

also a pokemon's fire only burns when they're aggressive

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Powder isn't sensitive to heat as much as is easily flammable, Heat Wave is hot enough to burn which is what triggers powder

also a pokemon's fire only burns when they're aggressive
And what about Shell Trap and Sunny Day? And what about Scald and Beak Blast?

Beak Blast is about launching specially heated air at the foe by increasing the temperature of your beak. Think of it like applying Powder to a hot electric stove as opposed to applying Powder to a hot gas range.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)