ORAS OU Please Rate My Team

Hi,
I've been battling competitively for some time now. I have a team for OU. So far, this team is good, but I want to know if this team can be even better.
Before I explain my team, I have to tell you that I'm not a fan of Legendary Pokemon (regardless of whether they're allowed to be used in OU or not).
This is my team.

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Dragon Tail

Steelix is an amazing Stealth Rock setter IMO. With no double weakness, no unboosted physical move can OHKO Steelix. Steelix's main role in this team is to set up Stealth Rock. EV investment in HP and Special Defense can make Steelix even bulkier. Since Steelix's Defense is already high, I increased its Special Defense to help him survive against powerful special attacks like Scald and Flamethrower without Sturdy's help. Sassy nature can further increase Special Defense, while powering up Gyro Ball. Steelix really loves to get paralyzed. Earthquake is a STAB Ground move that can be used to 2HKO Klefki. Gyro Ball can easily OHKO Gardevoir, Alakazam, and Mega Diancie, some Pokemon that are hard to be defeated by my other Pokemon. Dragon Tail phazes Pokemon that love to increase their stats.

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch

The physical wallbreaker in this team, Infernape. Its type makes Infernape neutral to Stealth Rock. Physical set is preferred over special one because physical moves are more accurate (in this case only) and because of Iron Fist. Jolly is preferred over Adamant because Infernape is so frail that it needs to outspeed as many Pokemon as it can to survive. I choose Life Orb over Choice Scarf/Band because I'm not a fan of Choice items, I need to use different moves to defeat Ferrothorn and its "guardians", and I can't afford to switch Pokemon in order to use different moves. Fire Punch is a powerful physical Fire move that deals 175.5 damage after Iron Fist, STAB, and Life Orb boost. I choose Fire Punch over Flare Blitz because Infernape can't take any more damage other than Ferrothorn's and Life Orb's. Close Combat is Infernape's most powerful Fighting move that's usually used to wallbreak. The side effect doesn't matter if Infernape doesn't get hit.
If Infernape's speed isn't enough to revenge kill, Mach Punch can be used to revenge kill some Pokemon and OHKO Weavile and most Bisharps after Stealth Rock damage. After Iron Fist, STAB, and Life Orb, it deals 93.6 damage. Thunder Punch can be used as a coverage to defeat Talonflame and Ferrothorn's "guardians".

Altaria-Mega (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost

Altaria is an underrated Pokemon. It's surprisingly great at sweeping. Altaria is so unique that so many trainers have lost a battle because of it. Its base form, with Dragon and Flying type, really urges opponents to use Dragon move against it, only to find that they lose a turn because Altaria mega evolves. Altaria uses that chance to use Dragon Dance. After that, Altaria is able to outspeed and OHKO most Pokemon with Return and Earthquake. Altaria is powerful, but not flawless. Even Altaria's bulk is unable to survive one strong STAB Ice and Steel move. Its base form is also weak to Stealth Rock.

Crobat (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Haze
- Cross Poison

The stallbreaker and wallbreaker breaker in this team, Crobat. Crobat's high speed and good typing lets it stop set uppers without getting affected by ground-based entry hazards. Many wallbreakers fear Crobat, such as Volcarona, Venomoth, Machamp, Florges, Venusaur, and many others. Adamant is preferred over Jolly because Crobat is already fast and what it needs is power to break through wallbreakers. Taunt and Haze are used to stop stall and Baton Pass teams. Infiltrator ability ensures that none of Crobat's moves get blocked by Substitute. Black Sludge is used to heal some of Brave Bird's damage. Brave Bird is Crobat's main STAB move to OHKO most Bug, Grass, and Fighting type Pokemon. Before Mega Sableye got banned, I used Poison Fang to badly poison it without getting affected by Magic Bounce. Now that it's banned, I can change Poison Fang with Cross Poison for more damage.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave

The special "wallbreaker" in this team, Wash Rotom. Its unique typing and ability stop Ground Pokemon in their tracks. Rotom checks many Ground Pokemon. With 252 HP, Rotom is bulkier than ever. Rotom is more to the offensive side than defensive one. Leftovers and Pain Split provide decent healing capability, while Thunder Wave slows fast Pokemon down. Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt are powerful STAB moves to wallbreak many Pokemon.

Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pain Split
- Calm Mind
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp

Cofagrigus is a mixed wall that's only afraid of Normal and Dark Pokemon. Full investment in Defense is because Special Defense can be increased by Calm Mind. After 2 times of boost, opponent will be confused about how to attack Cofagrigus (physical or special). After Will-O-Wisp and even more boost, Cofagrigus will become an ultimate mixed wall. Of course, it's not easy, that's why Cofagrigus has Pain Split to heal itself while powering up. Hex can be used to make Sigilyph and Pokemon with Guts feel sorry for burning themselves.

That's all. Feel free to comment and recommend things, but I need to remind you that I will never use any Legendary Pokemon.

That's all. Feel free to comment and recommend things, but I need to remind you that I will never use any Legendary Pokemon.
First of all, get rid of this poor mindset. Limiting yourself just because you don't like the term legendary puts you at disadvantage in any scenario.

Secondly, this looks like you just threw random things on a team and called it good. That doesn't work because you lack any synergy. For now please use a sample team: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-sample-team-thread-v2-read-post-90.3551209/ (Closed for Sun and Moon)
and read: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...n-hazards-project-closed-until-su-mo.3574351/

First of all, get rid of this poor mindset. Limiting yourself just because you don't like the term legendary puts you at disadvantage in any scenario.

Secondly, this looks like you just threw random things on a team and called it good. That doesn't work because you lack any synergy. For now please use a sample team: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-sample-team-thread-v2-read-post-90.3551209/ (Closed for Sun and Moon)
and read: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...n-hazards-project-closed-until-su-mo.3574351/
First, I don't really care about 1900 points in Showdown. That's just my "pride". I don't compete in tournaments anyway, so I think there's nothing wrong implementing that pride. Thanks, anyway, for replying.

You asked about a chance for the team to be even better, and there are a ton, even without adding legendaries.
But pride won't get you anywhere, and nobody here will be well-versed to help you this way, you limit our chances of helping you and pride is frankly a dumb reason to me; and i'm also not so motivated in helping someone who basically says "i care about being better, but not that much".
And finally, other people will use legendaries regardless of what you do, so using them helps you knowing them too.

Leaving aside this kind of shit, i would re-build the team from scratch, starting with Mega altaria maybe, since it's a fantastic pokemon and your mega of choice (and besides, nobody good will ever use a dragon move on Altaria if they see it).
After this you need to consider what counters Altaria. Biggest things are Amoonguss, Venusaur, Fairies and Steels. So first thing i'd choose is Magnezone for steel types, and i could go on and on with this method but it's not up to me. People here have spent hours and hours writing complete guides on how to build a team, a guide for every pokemon with checks and counters, so don't be lazy and go learn; you have a lot to learn, trust me.

For me u look like u wanna have a good but the problem of you not using legendaries benefit a lot of weakness because of legendaries they can support what u need with your team right now u throw a lot of random good and bad mons into the team and called it good u can use some work on the team.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Hi IDProG! I'll be honest with you, building a good team is pretty hard for new players, basically you need to know the tier, understand its threats, viable pokemon to use, etc. What I see here is a decent attempt at building a good team and I think you could go further if you played the tier a bit more and got to know the metagame. Sadly the gen pretty much just ended and the transition between gen6->gen7 is crazy with so many broken mons. However, if you still want to play gen6 I'd recommend you to pick a team from the sample teams thread and just played on the ladder. Btw, I think that having that mentallity of "I don't use legends they're stupid or whatever" should be something you'll leave sooner or later, otherwise you'll be at a huge disadvantage. Have fun on the ladder man!

Hey, I'm not convinced yet. Instead of telling me that I need to learn or any other bad things, can you show me where the weak points of my team (Other than the anti-legendary part) are? After knowing them, I know that I can fix my team.

Hey, I'm not convinced yet. Instead of telling me that I need to learn or any other bad things, can you show me where the weak points of my team (Other than the anti-legendary part) are? After knowing them, I know that I can fix my team.
Fine.
-Mega alakazam + Keldeo causes a lot of problems to you.
-Same goes for Mega charizard X, which after some boost can just muscle his way through altaria, your only check.
-Thundurus-T punches holes in most of your team.
-Mega Venusaur + tyranitar/weavile just kills your team completely. (and no, infernape can't do shit to Mega venusaur, he has problem 2HKOing the offensive variants, scratches defensive.)
-Kyurem-B breaks crobat, altaria, rotom and steelix after some prior damage.
Those are the first that come to my mind. Also your team has close to zero offensive presence.

And allow me to say,there is a reason if 4 out of 4 guys in the comments keep telling you the same thing (which is, go to learn the meta and to know what you are talking about).
We don't need to convince you, you are the one who could benefit from our suggestions.

- Steelix OHKOes Mega Alakazam with Gyro Ball, while Crobat takes care of Keldeo with Brave Bird
- Steelix phazes Mega Charizard X with Dragon Tail and makes it afraid to come back with Stealth Rock (you're wrong about Altaria being my only check for Mega Charizard X)
- With the lack of Ice and Rock moves, I have to agree about Thundurus-T
- Infernape doesn't check Mega Venusaur, Crobat does
- Infernape will crush Kyurem-B

Perhaps I must consider having legendaries in my team. And also, I must have at least Knock Off and a Rock move. That will help me. Thanks for telling me the weakness of my team. I hope that I can do better next time.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
- Steelix OHKOes Mega Alakazam with Gyro Ball, while Crobat takes care of Keldeo with Brave Bird
- Steelix phazes Mega Charizard X with Dragon Tail and makes it afraid to come back with Stealth Rock (you're wrong about Altaria being my only check for Mega Charizard X)
- With the lack of Ice and Rock moves, I have to agree about Thundurus-T
- Infernape doesn't check Mega Venusaur, Crobat does
- Infernape will crush Kyurem-B

Perhaps I must consider having legendaries in my team. And also, I must have at least Knock Off and a Rock move. That will help me. Thanks for telling me the weakness of my team. I hope that I can do better next time.
-Mega Alakazam ohkos Steelix before it can even touch it with Focus Blast
-Keldeo clicks scald after getting a free switchin against 4/6 of your mons and nothing wants to take Specs Scald, even after switching into Crobat to kill it it can just switch out to their bird check (any good team has it unless it ho) and then get in Keldeo again and kill something else
-After breaking the sturdy Steelix gets ohkod by zard x.
I could go on but I think you get my point. I hope you don't take this wrong everyone has been new to competitive at some point and it takes time and experience to learn the game and start building good teams. Good luck til then :) . Oh and a tip for your next RMT, it'd be cool if you described your teambuilding process before explaining what everything does, it helps rating and stuff.

- Do you even realize that Focus Blast has 70 accuracy? Skill is important, but bad luck can be a huge downfall, too. I forfeited after 3 Hydro Pump misses in a row (that's a terrible luck for 80 accuracy). Even if Focus Blast hits, Sturdy will activate and save Steelix.
- I also need to tell you that Rotom and Altaria can check Keldeo, too. And Rotom isn't afraid of Keldeo's Specs Scald as well.

Anyway, I'm fixing my team now. I hope with the addition of legendaries, my team can be stronger. Thanks, everyone, for the great advices.

- If u go against Steelix vs M Alakazam what happens if your opponet uses rocks sturdy becomes useless then dies too either Keldeo or M-Alakazam too finish it .

- Also yes Rotom-W and M Altaria can check Keldeo but when they switch and he get a free attack the pretty much have a chance of dying either sacrificing a pokemon in ur team too let Altaria or Rotom-w switch while loosing someone

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Altaria: 172-204 (59.1 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 144-169 (47.5 - 55.7%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also since ur not using M-Steelix and he is ur rocker there way better ones too use like excadrill or Lando-T lastly M zard demolishes this team whever it sees an opportunity hopefully u can repaste or make a new thread with new and improved mon

- Do you even realize that Focus Blast has 70 accuracy? Skill is important, but bad luck can be a huge downfall, too. I forfeited after 3 Hydro Pump misses in a row (that's a terrible luck for 80 accuracy). Even if Focus Blast hits, Sturdy will activate and save Steelix.
When your only way of checking a Pokemon is by relying on a 30% chance to miss, then you know you have a massive problem.

- Also yes Rotom-W and M Altaria can check Keldeo but when they switch and he get a free attack the pretty much have a chance of dying either sacrificing a pokemon in ur team too let Altaria or Rotom-w switch while loosing someone
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Altaria: 172-204 (59.1 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 144-169 (47.5 - 55.7%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
At first I thought that my team is weak when faced against a team with Keldeo, but this proved me wrong:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-487759835
At that replay, Keldeo was like a waste of space. OHKOed by a single Thunderbolt.

Last edited:
What is the point in doing an RMT if you're just going to argue with everyone that offers advice? First off, Steelix is NU for a reason, Excadrill, Lando-T, and Ferrothorn(to mention a few) all do his job better. Your team has no Wincon outside of Altaria, if that thing dies you basically have lost the game, as it's the only thing that has any sweeping potential. If Crobat is dead, defensive Venusaur walks through your team. Specs Keldeo 2HKO's Rotom-W with secret sword. There is a litany of issues and a lack of synergy in this team. As Steel sun said, I would rebuild the team after learning more about the tier because frankly this team will never get anywhere in OU.

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
At first I thought that my team is weak when faced against a team with Keldeo, but this proved me wrong:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-487759835
At that replay, Keldeo was like a waste of space. OHKOed by a single Thunderbolt.
As you can see in that replay, you opponent play poorly and lost. That's how most low ladder matches are, 1100's 1200's you know, but in the higher ladder your opponent wouldn't have misplayed like that and you would've lost a pokemon everytime Keldeo was in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)