SM OU Please Help Rate My Team

https://pokepast.es/884293a9149a2c06 (Team Importable)

I am an inexperienced Showdown Player who plays for fun.
I made a hyper offense aurora veil team with Mega Tyranitar, Volcarona and Z-Raindance Manaphy as my main sweepers.
Aololan Ninetales is the screen setup, Lando-Therian is my main defogger and Stealth Rock setup. My Tapu Fini is just a pivot if stall teams try to use toxic. I put taunt and am currently considering replacing scald with defog, in case Lando-Therian is KOed. I would greatly appreciate any helpful suggestions, but I do not want to replace my Manaphy or Volcarona.

Here is my team:

1568803643539.png

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 10 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Hail
- Hypnosis

My Alolan Ninetales has Aurora Veil with Light Clay. It mainly acts as a pivot. Freeze Dry is its only offensive move for pesky Rain Teams. Hypnosis allows Alolan Ninetales to use the opposing mon as setup fodder. However, Hypnosis is not the most accurate move and should not be relied upon all the time. I don't really know what to put for the last move slot, so I just put Hail.

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow
- Psychic
- Surf

My Manaphy is the main sweeper. I only bring it out once Aurora Veil is set up, and then use Z-Rain Dance to set up. Tail glow is to max out Manaphy's Special Attack. Psychic is for the pesky Tankasaur (both Mega and the Leech Seed, Synthesis stall kind). Surf is Manaphy's main STAB move, and can be used on almost any pokemon after Tail Glow is set up.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 100 HP / 48 Def / 10 SpA / 100 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Defog

Tapu Fini is a defogger and Taunt pivot. Misty Terrain is especially useful because it prevents status ailments. I find that Tapu Fini is especially effective in shutting down Pyukumuku. Moonblast and Nature's madness are expecially good. Nature's Madness is just used to wear down Mons like Ferrothorn for Volcarona to sweep.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Defog
- U-turn

Landorus Therian is a standard defogger and Stealth Rock Setup. I was contemplating putting a HP Ice but decided not to, because my Attack Stat is already pretty high. After some testing, I replaced HP Ice with U-turn. Rocky Helmet is on so that Mons that spam U-turn get hurt in the process.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona is of my main sweepers. I only bring it out if Aurora Veil is set up. Quiver Dance is standard Setup. Fiery Dance and Bug Buzz are also pretty standard STAB moves. Hidden Power Ground is for those pesky Rock types like Mega Diancie. However, it does need to be wary of stealth rocks, because it has no way of recovering from damage other than leftovers.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 30 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SpD / 110 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Crunch

Tyranitar-Mega is for pesky Stall Mons such as Ferrothorn and Chansey. It's attack is superior, and is usually able to destroy them in 1 hit. 116 SpD is so he can survive a weak Moon Blast. Earthquake is for Pokemon such as Magearna, Fire Punch is to counter Jirachi and Ferrothorn. Crunch and Stone Edge are standard STAB moves. I am conteplating swapping Crunch for Pursuit, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would add dragon dance to t-tar so if volcarona fails to sweep t-tar can have a go. Possibly get rid of crunch. Most of the mons that crunch helps with(Jirachi and Mega zam) can beat it 1 on 1 if it get chipped due to their greater speed. I agree witb fire punch thou since your team is a bit ferrothorn weak especially if it sets up rocks.

You might want to add a scarfer so you can revenge kill oposing setup mons like volcarona. Maybe changing landos item to scarf would work but another option is scarf garchomp, with a moveset similar to
Stealth rock
Earthquake
Rock slide
Fire blast
Alternatively put stealth rocks on t-tar.

I hope this somewhat helps

little question what’s tapu fini’s EV spread for? Because it’s speed isn’t that important to invest (except if there is a specific mon you want to outspeed) and why only 100 in hp? I think it’s better to invest it more in hp than in it’s defenses because it’s base hp is only 70 while it’s defenses are 115 and 130. I also think you should get a scarf. And if you play ttar dragon dance you should run a spread with more speed, I would even play him jolly.

Oh and this are some things I would change but it’s only based on how I prefer playing
Swap fiery dance for flamethrower for the better presicion or fire blast if you aren’t afraid to mis (I think feiry dance is very good against stall if the unaware wall is ko)
On tyranitar swap eq for ice punch or on volcarona replace psychic by hp ground this is an option because you already have landorus with eq or the garchomp set of
Amullai
And if you take the garchomp play him with stone edge, you’ll need the extra damage output.

I hope this is at least a little bit helpful.

Last edited:

watermess

What? Never seen an idiot before?
is a Tutoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Very interested take on a veil team my dude, it's a bit unconventional, with defencive Lando and non set-up mega tar, but I like the premis of the team!

I'm gonna go ahead and say what I would do if it was my team, this by no means is saying that there are huge issues with your team, or that you need to change to what I have, at the end of the day casual showdown battling should be fun and with what you want to use, so if you don't like my advice - dw use the team you wanna use!
So without further ado, here's what would do
(Buckle up this might be lengthy hehe)

1. Strong hyper offencive teams can keep up hazards to aid their sweepers! To help with this I would be tempted to make Lando a jolly max speed max attack Focus sash pokemon.
Lando only needs eq, explosion, stealth rocks and maybe defog/swords dance to end up with the upper hand in the hazards game as a dedicated lead, often earring down your opponents checks to physical mons with explosion in the process! (Win, win imo)

2. Volcarona should be timid! This is a thing regarding the speed stats of prevelant choice scarf Pokémon in the OU which include tapu Lele and landourus-t, both of which will outspeed a modest volcarona and revenge kill even after volc has 1 boost! With timid volc you can outspeed and kill them first!

3. Tyranitar would have great use as a dragon dance sweeper! Mega tyranitar is practically unkillable under veil - no kidding this boy won't even get will live all kinds of shit under veil! So use this to your advantage, you have veil and ttar gets some 3+ turn before it dies so most pokemon under veil, this is easily enough for a jolly tar to get to a speed stat that it can just win, remember that dragon dance boosts both attack and speed, so you will likely be ohkoing Lando-t with stone edge at +2 attack and outspeeeding scarf lando if you have +3 speed and a jolly nature, this would allow you to almost instant win Vs some teams, which is essentially what veil is usually trying to do (set the damage reducing veil, chip things down a little, and then pick the right sweeper to win outright)

4. Fini is really nice to Defog for volcarona, however you dont want to defogging your own hazards! Maybe it would be worth switching this for another sweeper, you could keep the type synergy - for example using something like jolly sitrus berry azumarill would still be a great check to water type threats like ash greninja, but would actually give you a whole additional opertunity to win the game! Although pivots can be very useful on hyper offencive builds you have to remember with veil that most of the time your actual sweepers can take a good number of hits from the right Pokémon but good pivots can still be valid in the correct situation for hyper offencive teams so take it or leave it on this one.

That should be it!
Everything I would change about your team if I wanted simply go as high as possible on ladder, but like I said at the start, just because I would change things about your team shouldn't discourage you from doing what you want to do on showdown!

Hopefully this is useful, feel free to ping me if you have questions or queries, or even if anyone else on the forums strongly disagrees with what I say, because opinions matter kiddos!
With that ☮out!

This team is so strange to me. It's almost like 3 different incomplete weather team concepts combined. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's certainly interesting. Like you got Hail, Rain, and Sand but no followups to really take advantage of it outside of Aurora Veil. On the other hand, you could definitely catch an opponent off guard with your team. It's throwing me off just looking at it.

I think your Tyranitar definitely needs Dragon Dance. It seems to me that putting Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar and Quiver Dance Volcarona behind Aurora Veil would make your team incredibly dangerous. Other then that, I don't know if you would be better off changing your team a bit to compliment that or simply keeping most of it as is with only minor tweaks. The team appears good at first glance. It just bothers me a little that there appears to be untapped weather synergy. Not sure if this is more of a me problem or not. Ot just feels to me like there could be something a little more there. I'm also not 100% sold on Manaphy here. But you made it very clear you don't want to change that.

My first instinct is to try a bunch of things like Excadrill, Tornadus-Therian, Zapdos, or Tapu Koko. But putting any of those on your team would likely cause a chain reaction of changes that I'm not 100% sure are necessary. It just feels to me personally like your team is close to something. The more I think about it, the more I realize Tapu Fini/Landorus-Therian is my biggest issue. They work great defensively for your current team, but not necessarily for the adjustments I'm thinking about. And if you don't want to replace Manaphy, that really limits options to change anything major.

Then there is a small part of me that just wants to put Rapid Spin Torkoal on the team to complete the strange weather quadrant somehow and maybe boost Volcarona Fire STAB. I don't actually recommend that since it is almost certainly not good advice. It's just something I have the urge to try for some strange OCD like reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)