Player Of the Week! Week #18: Ticken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved By scpinion
Based on Other Potws

Banner By Dece1t
Hey Everyone and welcome to the revamped version of player of the week and Staff interviews.
This Week we Have Special guest and Monotype Room voice: Ticken, This Will be a weekly interview project where Balor and I will interview staff or well known players. If you want someone interviewed Pm Me on Smogon or Ps! Without further ado let's get to the interview

Ticken
Tell us about yourself IRL?Are You Still in school? Do you have a job? Location? Any other generic information you're willing to share?
Well my irl is pretty boring but I attend a local Community College about 10 minutes away from where I live. I do not plan on getting a job yet to focus on my studies,but my Mom is thinking about getting me an apprnticeship sooner rather than later. I'd rather not share my location but what I live somewhere in California.
What got you into monotype?
When I first started pokemon ~3+ years ago I sucked a ton while looking at all the different options in OU. I found a friend hosting a Monotype Tournament and that was the first time I ever passed the first round so it motivated me to stay in that particular meta although at that point Monotype was not on the ladder or anything. I found many friends doing so such as Aelous and Colonial Mustang. Those are the main two people that pushed me to stay in Monotype, join the leagues, and develop my teambuilding and strategies in battle. After I battled in Monotype for multiple years I wanted something new and different. Around the time I was done with a particular Side Server I joined Frost and they introduced Monothreat to me. Although I won the first Monothreat Tourney, which was Dark, my team sucked but it motivated me to build a team for each type and looking for unique ways a pokemon can shine. Everyone who knows me knows that I love to think of creative ideas that haven't been explored too often and surprising people.
What's your favorite type to play? Favorite Playstyle?
My two favorite types to battle with is Grass and Ground. Ground is easier for me to like because no one wants to battle teams like Heatran+Skarm; not even me. That said, grass can still be fun because there is more surprise factors in Grass than there is with the more common types. My first appearance on my Ticken alt was the AM league where I was prodemenently Grass. My favorite playstyle is Bulky Offense just like most people. Stall is boring to watch and HO is a little too unreliable. Bulky Offense has been the playstyle I chose since BW days.
What's your favorite Pokemon and tier? why?
My favorite pokemon of all time is Lotad. The main reason Lotad is my favorite pokemon was just by pure coincidence. I was in the AM league and they asked me my favorite pokemon and at the time I said Mega Venusaur. I had a Lotad card sitting on my desk as I made that decision and continually looked at it. Lotad just reminded me of myself, once I fall down it is hard for me to get up metaphorically. One of my favorite tiers since BW was UU. OU seems too balnd for me, RU and below is hard to wrap my head around. UU is by far the tier that would get me out of Monotype if I didn't play it for 3+ years. I tried LC with a Lotad on my team and decided it was not for me after seeing Lotad was not viable enough...
Who are some players who you're really good friends with or look up to?
Rossy, also known as Zukushiku, is one of my best friends ever on PS and is a great battler who I look up to. Although there are some more names I could have added like Sabella, Paleo, and Prosaic, in terms of battling, I could not see myself ever forgetting. Another player that I look up to in a different light is Kamkam or better known as Kammi. If anyone asks about myself they will usually hear that I am a quiet and friendly individual. Kamkam has helped me work on being more social.
Any words of wisdom you'd like to give to new monotype players?
Keep going at it even if you are struggling to win any matches. Also, try out the Monotype metagames such as Monothreat or STABmons because those are fun to battle with and may help learn competitive pokemon.
What got you into Pokemon? PS!? Why the monotype room?
I see you asking me a loaded question... All my friends in real life know I remember the most obscure moments in my life and when I first saw Pokemon it was no different. As both of my parents are Engineers they did not really have much time with me in the mornings so they dropped me off at a daycare called MOU, Moving on Up. Around second grade I first saw Pokemon when two people were dueling it out in a Pokemon Card Battle and I was asking "what is Pokemon?" After that moment I have been wanting to play Pokemon for years after I mistakingly told my parents I wanted a GameCube over a DS because it had Game in the name...November 8th is the day I registered my first alt on Pokemon Showdown!. I watched a couple You-Tubers, who I will not name, and they made me eager to join and play pokemon with others. As previously stated, November 8th is my first recorded day on PS! and that was about 4 years ago.
Some people may make the connection that I joined PS! just around 4 years ago and rooms ther than the Lobby have been implemented after, much after. When the Monotype room was first created the person who hosted the most Monotype Tournaments on Challonge was promoted to Room Owner and he did not really know who to promote so he started promoting people who joined his Tournaments. I was one of them. The first time I entered the Monotype room was around the winter season not really knowing how to mod a room as % so inevitably I was demoted but I still join the room frequantly.
What are some of your favorite foods?
Some of my favorite foods are Rice, Corn Dogs, and Mashed Potatoes. My ethnicity is 50% Japanese and 50% British. I am assuming the reason I love Rice so much is because I am part Japanese so I ate Rice growing up and same goes with Mashed Potatoes but for my British side. Don't ask why I love corn Dogs so much, they are just one of my favorite "meals" whenever I see it usually in a Mexican Restaurant.
Favorite Pokemon to use in Monotype?
My favorite pokemon to use in Monotype is definetely Mega Gardevoir. Although I do not use it too much because I tend to go with Grass and Ground, Mega Gardevoir is just so good at what it does. If you look at any Psychic Monotype team I have there will be a Mega Gardevoir although for Fairy I go 50-50 with Mega Gardevoir or Mega Diancie.
What do you feel you're most known for?
One word, Monothreat. Some people may know me for some side servers I used to go on for leagues such as AM, but I am still best known for Monothreat.
Favorite memory while on PS!?
My favorite memory I had while on PS is probably when I met most of my friends like Zukushiku and Kammi. Playing pokemon is fun and all but let's be honest, most of us come on to talk with friends and have fun; not getting haxed in battles.
Anything you'd like to say to close off the interview?
Not that I can think of. Thanks for having me Ljc! Remember everyone, his name stands for Lemon Juice Cups.(Triggerd)

That Concludes This interview feel free to ask questions below that you might have wanted him to answer.

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
What are you looking forward to most in Sun and Moon Monotype?

And where did you come up with the name Lemon Juice Cups for Ljc's Anagram
I am looking forward to what I can do with the new pokemon mainly from a Monothreat standpoint. The other thing I am looking forward to is the in game hatching mechanics as most people know I hatched over 10,000 eggs on ORAS.

Lemon Juice Cup or Ljc is the nickname for Cjl or more commonly known as Starblim. I did Ljc as it is backwards from Cjl and he asked me what Ljc meant so I randomly came up with Lemon Juice Cup.

I hope these are satisfactory answers for you!

Ticken

is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
Hey ticken! Besides yourself (or myself if you wanna dig deep hehe), who do you think is the nicest and most open person in the community?
As this is a completely biased answer I have to make, I will choose a person I know quite a bit.
Most people probably expected this answer and my answer is going to be Zukushiku aka Rossy. He has gone out of his way to help me numerous times when I needed assistance, participated with me in PS events, and from what I've seen is not mean to anyone in Monotype. Not even Eric!

Can you give me Kammi's number? ;)
Sorry Ridley, that is classified information!

How do you not get bored after hatching 93561 eggs
Can I get my mango pie, or is it still being guarded by the alligators?
AMBITIOUS
When will you make Mean Look Gengar work in Poison Monothreats?
Ant, you're overexaggerating once again my friend. Hatching eggs can be quite boring but if you just watch videos and/or TV while doing the automatic bike ride or just going in circles, they tend to be less bothsome in some regards. I am not quite at 93,561 eggs but once I make it there I will update my answer! (May take a long time until then)

You also might've got the wrong menu Ant. If you look at the menu from June we were serving Mango Chili, not this so called Mango Pie.

Lastly, you'll just have to wait until the end of Type Expert to see if I do manage to fit the Mean Look Gengar on my team. You do not have to worry about that strategy going extinct before the end of ORAS!

As this is a completely biased answer I have to make, I will choose a person I know quite a bit.
Most people probably expected this answer and my answer is going to be Zukushiku aka Rossy. He has gone out of his way to help me numerous times when I needed assistance, participated with me in PS events, and from what I've seen is not mean to anyone in Monotype. Not even Eric!

Sorry Ridley, that is classified information!

Ant, you're overexaggerating once again my friend. Hatching eggs can be quite boring but if you just watch videos and/or TV while doing the automatic bike ride or just going in circles, they tend to be less bothsome in some regards. I am not quite at 93,561 eggs but once I make it there I will update my answer! (May take a long time until then)

You also might've got the wrong menu Ant. If you look at the menu from June we were serving Mango Chili, not this so called Mango Pie.

Lastly, you'll just have to wait until the end of Type Expert to see if I do manage to fit the Mean Look Gengar on my team. You do not have to worry about that strategy going extinct before the end of ORAS!
But I wanted Mango Pie :(
Chili was so 4 months ago

can u teach me to dark monothreat

what's the worst monothreat? we all know about the unholy trinity of steel water and electric, but what really is just thoroughly un-enjoyable?

what would your reaction be if you played a wifi tour in a tier you were actually passionate in and the reward for winning ended up being 3 mons that you already had

Ticken

B101 Leader
can u teach me to dark monothreat

what's the worst monothreat? we all know about the unholy trinity of steel water and electric, but what really is just thoroughly un-enjoyable?

what would your reaction be if you played a wifi tour in a tier you were actually passionate in and the reward for winning ended up being 3 mons that you already had
Naming the worst Monothreat is tough because it is opinionated and depends on what variables you are judging them on. Becuase you know me so well you know the types I hate the most are Normal, Steel, Electric, and Water all in no particular order. The thing about those is they all have solid foundations you can build from and can get pretty diverse in some aspects. The type I find least enjoyable, winning or losing, has to be Dragon. There is nothing better than having two items all game long right? For those who do not know the two items are Choice Scarf and Haban Berries.

You already know my reaction to this question, Fella. If I enjoy the tier or metagame I tend to forget about the reward and will think about it as the Tournament is the prize and the rewards are bonuses. Therefore, if the prizes are all trash but I am passionate about the Tournament, the prizes are not going to hurt the Tournament overall.

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...
What got u to like monothreat so much?

Got any fav singers?

Which Pokemon from sumo are u most looking forward to?

Gratz on Player of the week TickTick!!!!

Ticken

B101 Leader
What got u to like monothreat so much?

Got any fav singers?

Which Pokemon from sumo are u most looking forward to?

Gratz on Player of the week TickTick!!!!
Everyone who knows me knows that I love to think of creative ideas that haven't been explored too often and surprising people.
That is from the interview with Ljc at the end of the "Wht got you into Monotype" question.

I do not listen to any personal music so in other words, no favorite singer(s).

I am not really following that closely to the new Sun and Moon pokemon yet so it still feels new to me. If I study them and go into all this work to understand a pokemon before I playthrough the game it will bore me and unmotivate me. The physical plate pokemon looks nice though.

Thanks Clumm!

Ticken

B101 Leader
who's your favorite person to test monothreat teams with? and why is it me?
It is definitely not you Czim. Zukushiku is my favorite partner to practice Monothreats with because he is an amazing teambuilder who always figures out a new set we can impliment. He also makes teams really quickly and they usually beat me too. If he joined the Monothreat Tournaments I bet he would get at least second overall if not first.

Not that I can think of. Thanks for having me Ljc! Remember everyone, his name stands for Lemon Juice Cups.(Triggerd)​
^^why is this true though?
And btw, what are your expectations in this upcoming gen tick?
What do you think will be banned of the early gen 7 unbans?

It is definitely not you Czim. Zukushiku is my favorite partner to practice Monothreats with because he is an amazing teambuilder who always figures out a new set we can impliment. He also makes teams really quickly and they usually beat me too. If he joined the Monothreat Tournaments I bet he would get at least second overall if not first.
Don't lie to yourself, you know you love me and my hax!

Ticken

B101 Leader
^^why is this true though?
And btw, what are your expectations in this upcoming gen tick?
What do you think will be banned of the early gen 7 unbans?
By expectations I am assuming you are talking about competitive wise for PS!. I expect there to be far less types that there are none of and to help boost some of the lower rated types like Grass and Ghost with better pokemon. I also expect some nice shiny colored pokemon as well as a Battle Frontier but that is another story for a different time.

If I am being honest, I have yet to see any Gen 7 preview matches and any of the unbans made for it so far. I am not qualified to answer this question for now. Sorry Shaun!

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
What is your favorite monothreat to play and your least favorite monothreat to play?

Ticken

B101 Leader
What is your favorite monothreat to play and your least favorite monothreat to play?
You talk to me enough to know the answers to these Exca. My favorite Monothreat to play is Rock before Volcanion came in and ruined Fire. My least favorite is Dragon as it is mostly speed ties, limited creativity, and Haban berries.

Top 5 best monothreat players?
1. Zukushiku
2. Anttya
3. Misaka Mikoto
4. Sakis
5. Paleo

That is my top five excluding myself from who I have battled myself. Aside from two people, who I will not name, it is pretty much a 50-50 if I were to battle them. Each of them are all creative and great teambuilders. I ranked them based on teambuilding, experience, and overall battling skills. This is an opinionated list but at the end of Generation 6 we, as in the Monothreat Guide contributors, may as well rank people who supported Monothreat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)