Pelipper [QC 1/3]

[OVERVIEW]

* Drizzle is the main reason to use Pelipper, providing incredible team support for rain based teams.
* A resistance to Fighting-type moves, superior physical bulk, and access to a variety of utility moves such as U-turn, Defog, and reliable recovery in Roost give Pelipper a niche over its main competition, Politoed.
* Pelipper's Water-Flying typing and solid defensive bulk allows it to check Mega Scizor, Excadrill, and Mega Metagross lacking Thunder Punch.
* Pelipper's abysmal Speed stat allows it to get off slow U-turns and thus bring in a rain sweeper for free versus a vulnerable foe.
* Pelipper's low Special Attack stat in conjunction with its shallow movepool make it set up fodder for many threatening Pokemon such as Tail Glow Manaphy, Coil Zygarde, and Calm mind Keldeo.
* Pelipper's 4x weakness to Electric-type attacks is very exploitable as Volt Switchers such as Rotom-W and Tapu Koko can use it to generate momentum with ease.
* Pelipper's awful Special Defense stat also makes it unable to check opposing Water-type Pokemon such as Keldeo, Greninja, and Tapu Fini.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Scald
move 2: Hurricane
move 3: Roost
move 4: U-turn / Defog
item: Damp Rock
ability: Drizzle
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Scald is reliable Water-type STAB boosted by Drizzle with a 30% chance to burn the target.
* Hurricane is 100% accurate in rain, and has excellent synergy alongside Scald, nailing Grass-types such as Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss for super effective damage.
* Roost keeps Pelipper healthy and extend a its longevity throughout a battle. This can be crucial for re-setting rain turns after they have expired.
* U-turn is very useful for generating momentum and getting Pelipper's teammates free switch ins to abuse as many turns of rain as possible.
* Defog can also be used in this slot if Pelipper's teammates are particularly weak to hazards, however using Defog wastes rain turns for Pelippers teammates.

Set Details
========

* Maximum HP and Defense investment with a Bold nature allows Pelipoer to be as physically bulky as possible.
* An alternative, faster EV spread can also be used, with 124 EVs poured into Speed allowing Pelipper to outpace minimum Speed Mega Venusaur and do significant damage with a super effective Hurricane.
* Damp Rock is the item of choice in order to maximize the number of rain turns Pelipper can set up for its teammates.
* Drizzle is the selected ability as without it Pelipper has no niche in OU.

Usage Tips
========

* Pelipper often makes for a solid lead choice as it can immediately set up rain for its teammates and has a good matchup versus common hazard setters such as defensive Landorus-T and Heatran.
* Keeping Pelipper alive until the later stages of a battle when the opposing team has been properly weakened is usually optimal, as it can set up rain and allow for a teammate to sweep.
* If the opponent has a weather setter such as Tyranitar, Hippowdon, or Mega Charizard Y it is vital to keep Pelipper alive at all costs until said weather setter has fainted.
* Use Pelippers slow U-turn to generate momentum and get rain sweepers free switch ins to wreck havoc on the opposing team.

Team Options
========

* Pelipper is used exclusively on rain teams, so Swift Swim sweepers such as Kingdra and Kabutops are excellent partners to abuse the rain it automatically sets.
* Electric-types such as Tapu Koko, Rotom-W, and Magnezone can take advantage of rain with 100% accurate Thunder's, as well as form Volt-turn cores with Pelipper.
* Magnezone is a particularly potent partner for Pelipper, as it can trap and remove Ferrothorn which resists both of Kingdra and Kabutops's STAB moves.
* Tornadus-T greatly benefits from the rain Pelipper provides, as it can spam 100% accurate Hurricanes with no drawbacks.
* Lastly, Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn appreciate the weakened power of Fire-type attacks under rain and as such, make for solid teammates. Ferrothorn works especially well alongside Pelipper, as it resists any opposing rain-boosted Water-type attacks, as well as checking Tapu Koko who threatens the aforementioned Swift Swim sweepers as well as Tornadus-T.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Pelipper can opt for a more offensive route utilizing Choice Specs, however this set struggles to properly support rain teams with only 5 turns of rain, and Pelipper's lackluster Speed stat makes it difficult to wallbreak versus more offensive teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Tapu Koko, Magnezone, and Thundurus threaten Pelipper greatly with their 4x super effective STAB moves, and can make use of Volt Switch to either faint Pelipper or generate momentum by forcing it out.

**Opposing weather setters**: Mega Charizard Y, Tyranitar, and Hippowdon can all terminate Pelipper's rain upon entrance thanks to Drought and Sand Stream respectively, and as such make it difficult for Pelipper to consistently perform its role.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock are very troublesome for Pelipper, as they not only shorten its longevity but if Pelipper is below 25% of its maximum HP and switches into the battlefield with Stealth Rock up, it will faint before Drizzle can activate.

**Special Attackers**: Powerful Special Attackers such as Greninja-Ash, Latios, and Tapu Lele can all do massive damage to Pelipper due to its underwhelming Special Defense stat.

Last edited:
This is QC ready. Didn't use the 64 sp.def spread because mosa is getting banned soon and max max seems fine. I have no idea if specs is even worth oo but i honestly couldn't think of anything else Pelipper can do decently well.

* A resistance to Fighting-type moves, superior physical bulk, and access to a variety of utility moves such as U-turn, Defog, and reliable recovery in Roost give Pelipper a niche over its main competition, Politoed.
This line reads weird as it makes it seem like Pelipper and Politoed compete for a teamslot, but in reality Pelipper is really much better than Politoed is. I would just remove the comparison to Politoed as it's an unviable mon nowadays.

* Pelipper's Water-Flying typing and solid defensive bulk allows it to check Mega Scizor, Excadrill, and Mega Metagross lacking Thunder Punch.
It nearly always has Thunder Punch now, so I wouldn't mention this personally.

In team options, you should mention Ash-Greninja for its ability to decimate teams with rain-boosted Specs Water Shurikens.

Choice Specs is totally worthy of OO, and I wouldn't call it "almost always outclassed" either. It hits stupidly hard and has a lot of surprise factor. I would personally mention Knock Off in OO too. It's kind of a safe move to use against switch-ins like Rotom-W, Ferrothorn, Toxapex and etc. It also can lure in and cripple Chansey which makes Kingdra's stall matchup that much easier.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Other Options
=============

* Pelipper can opt for a more offensive route utilizing Choice Specs, however due to Pelipper's fairly low Special Attack stat even when invested and its shallow movepool, this set is almost always outclassed.
I think Specs Pelipper's main drawbacks are its poor Speed and bring unable to run Damp Rock to support rain sweepers. It does have a shallow movepool but Pumo+Cane is usually all it needs to 2hko about anything in the tier so that isn't that big of an issue and its low Special Attack sucks but Rain+Specs make its Pumps hit extremely hard (harder than Zard-Y's Fire Blasts)

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Move the slash on Defog to U-turn instead of Hurricane. If you're using Defog, you're giving up momentum anyway, so I would personally rather have a STAB move to hit stuff like Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur than U-turn in that situation.

* Pelipler often makes for a solid lead choice as it can immediately set up rain for its teammates and has a good matchups versus common hazard setters such as Landorus-T and and Heatran.
Specify that Peliper can only take on the defensive sets of these mons, because Continental Crush obviously OHKOs and Bloom Doom Tran has a chance to as well (and you can't OHKO back anyway).

* Pelipper is used exclusively on rain teams, so Swift Swim sweepers such as Kingdra, Kabutops, and Ludicolo are excellent partners to abuse the rain Pelipper automatically sets.
Remove Ludicolo, it's not viable.

* Magnezone is a particularly potent partner for Pelipper, as it can trap pesky Steel-types such as Ferrothorn that wall Kingdra and Kabutops.
It's not so much that Steel types wall Kingdra and Kabutops, mostly it's just that Ferrothorn resists both of their STABs, so remove the bit about steel types and just say mag traps ferro.

* Lastly, Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn appreciate the weakened power of Fire-type attacks under rain and as such, make for solid teammates.
Mention that Ferrothorn in particular can be useful in tanking the opponents water attacks that are boosted by your rain and that it also checks threats like Tapu Koko.

Also, mention that a faster spread can be used if you want to outspeed problematic Pokemon like Venusaur or TTar (you have to hit 197 speed for venu and 159 speed for min speed ttar).

I'll leave the rest to another QC member.

QC 1/3

Reactions: AJB

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think it's worth mentioning Toxic either in moves or in OO for its ability to put pressure on fat Water-types, which can otherwise give rain teams a headache. Maybe add KOff to OO too for its ability to remove stuff like Chansey's Evio or smth.

Mention Ash Gren in team options 'cause Ash Gren rain is really fucking scary. Suicide leads like Chomper or I guess Azelf are also worth considering, as well as Dugtrio (traps Tar who tries to use a free switch to reset rain as well as trapping stuff like Chansey and random fat waters (namely Pex) to reduce the pressure they put on rain teams), Mega Pinsir, and also maybe random Ferro abusers that can take advantage of rain (e.g. Volcanion).

While it's not exactly common, I think it's worth giving Alolan Ninetales a mention under opposing weather setters due to the fact that it just generally really fucks with rain teams between Snow Warning and Freeze Dry whilst being able to come out vs. Pelipper to net an uninterruptable Aurora Veil, which can make the matchup that much harder for eight turns even before you consider the fact that it can interrupt the rain at any time.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I dont want to QC check this just yet because Im at work and need to look more thoroughly through here.

One thing I want to comment - don't slash U-turn. U-turn is huge for Pelipper because a) it is one of its big niches over Politoed and b) it is the best way to safely get in your rain sweepers such as Ash-Gren. The momentum argument from Halcyon is one I disagree with - while you definitely lose momentum by Roosting or Defogging it is no excuse to drop U-turn. U-turn is still the one of the best moves for Scizor to have in spite of having moments where it drains momentum (STAB helps, but momentum is the bigger picture here.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Scald
move 2: Roost
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Defog / Hurricane

You could also argue Hurricane over Scald's slot, but I feel that it's more worthy to mention in moves upon second thought.

EV spread definitely will need a changeup too. Ill get back with you on that - but you do not want your Pelipper prone to Scarf Keldeo like max Def is.

Finally Specs definitely should get a set, though I did see Vertex started that. Not sure what happened - but maybe you two could work something together if you want on that or have him just do Specs. So long as the set is added and it is done I don't care about how it is done.

Making this a 2 person collaboration seems overcomplicated, so Vertex is just going to take over the full analysis from here. Feel free to take anything from what I wrote and use it as ur own and remember to update the Phys Def set to what cm posted! Momentum is the crux.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)