Overwatch - Brigitte used FLAIL!

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
fyi Overwatch is having a free weekend that will start fairly shortly and is on sale for £19.99 via Blizzard until the 28th of September, so if you're curious about trying out Mercy Simulator 2017 then later tonight or tomorrow will be a good time to dabble. Send me a friend request if you want a friendly tank main to help distract opponents for you. :)

https://eu.battle.net/shop/en/product/overwatch

Game of the Year edition (with lots of exclusive cosmetics) will also discounted at £29.99 (which is the normal price of the standard game) during this time!

Last edited:

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Has anyone else noticed the increase of "I'm bad at the game and it's BLIZZARDs fault!!!" post on /r/Overwatch?

Holy cow the reddit community for OW is garbage.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I'm not sure what Endless means to you
I'm not sure what you DON'T understand...After a certain number of bonus rounds it starts spawning to many Roadhogs for you to realistically deal with.

No one is saying that it doesn't (hypothetically) go on forever, but after around Bonus Wave 15 it becomes increasingly close to impossible. It's kind of difficult to advance any further when 9 bosses spawn and they dive you hard...

Also I've opened 20 event loot boxes and haven't gotten a single Current Event Skin, only 2016 Reaper, Anyone else having shit luck with boxes?

EDIT:

IF anyone doesn't understand what Endless means it's Blizzard in this case.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I'm not sure what you DON'T understand...After a certain number of bonus rounds it starts spawning to many Roadhogs for you to realistically deal with.

No one is saying that it doesn't (hypothetically) go on forever, but after around Bonus Wave 15 it becomes increasingly close to impossible. It's kind of difficult to advance any further when 9 bosses spawn and they dive you hard...

Also I've opened 20 event loot boxes and haven't gotten a single Current Event Skin, only 2016 Reaper, Anyone else having shit luck with boxes?

EDIT:

IF anyone doesn't understand what Endless means it's Blizzard in this case.
Well that line of thinking can basically apply to any endless mode with ramping difficulty, if I were to use a stupid example bloons tower defense gets impossible to defend around 300ish

lol @ everyone who thought I was stupid

Well I mean, no one "thought you were stupid" because they didn't believe there was no end to endless, but instead because when they asked about it, you said that you had beaten endless because "you got to the point where it was impossible," which is obviously very different from the video you linked (and the kind of response people were expecting).

So, in the end, making fun of everyone for thinking you're stupid just makes you look even worse lmao.

I wanna get more into this game because I really fucking enjoy it, but I can't play it for too long without sinking into a braindead autopilot state where I do dumb shit like solo-charging a well-established defence. I don't really notice myself doing it either, since it's kinda like tilting only not salty. When I'm in that state I drop games like crazy and I feel like I'm a much better player normally than my SR would indicate, because I so often play in a trash mindset I go nowhere. It ultimately doesn't matter since there's nothing really gained for me in improving at this game, but it's just nice to do well and I'd like to get out of scrub territory lol.

Also when you play tanks, what kind of thought process do you usually follow? I don't play Hog or Zarya, I generally go Orisa on defense and DVa on offense, and I can play Rein and Winston but I haven't sussed out what kind of scenarios to pick them. I guess Winston is good at disrupting enemies before they can form a co-ordinated group, which imo makes him effective on KotH, on offense when you've got a payload and idk I've made him work as an ultra aggressive defender when defending a point. Rein I just don't know when to pick him though

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Winston is pretty much never bad. Sometimes you have a hard time getting teammates to follow up on dives though.

The same still kind of goes for rein (almost never bad) though not as much because they overbuffed Winston to a ridiculous degree. Generally speaking he is stronger on defense but he's not bad on offense either.

You should probably always have a rein or winston on your team as they are the only real main tanks (maybe you could make an argument for Orisa main tank on def but at least the last time I played she wasn't really good enough). Dva is definitely far too squishy to main tank especially after all the nerfs she's received (rip season 3 dva, back when I had fun playing ow)

Autopilot is hard, I think to an extent it's something you have to actively try to prevent and force yourself to think. Maybe not binging too much and playing in smaller sessions could help too, idk.

Last edited:

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As for going brain dead, I play most games brain dead myself even though I'm the kind who prefers relying on game sense over anything else, so I'm just running on my passive game sense and style etc, but that works for me at this point in time (66% w/r over 80+ games, but don't do what I do). If you want to keep a presence of mind and not autopilot, I suggest vocalizing your thought process, and try to keep it simple so that it doesn't slow down your thinking. By vocalizing, you can just speak out loud. You don't need to shotcall actively; just muting your own mic and talking it out helps to keep you focused. You'll notice more of what you're missing out on etc when you start to verbalize them.

As for tanks, I play them all as a flex player so here's my take. The general role of all tanks is to create space. Pick the tank that will help provide the most space for the team given the current situation. While Rein and Winston are the core main tanks, in a pub, it's fine to not run either and go for another tank composition, so long as you feel it best suits the situation. Pub comp games tend to have weirder comps so you can justify the odd picks if it increases your chances of winning. Winston is generally a good pick in every situation, unless you find yourself being hard countered against a heavy damage comp that instantly deletes you and you can't rely on your team for protection or follow up. Reinhardt is good in more enclosed parts of maps where you can block most damage coming from a direction, and/or when high ground isn't that important. For example, the many last point of Payload maps tend to favor Reinhardt. Orisa is for cheese / damage comps. You can run her on pure payload attacks sometimes, especially so if you cheese it with Mercy + Bastion. She's the ultimate cheese and something you might want to pick if you really need to go all in to hold/attack. Zarya / D.Va are almost always off tanks. Zarya is better vs spam, D.Va is better at scaring away squishies and challenging high ground. Winston can fill the off tank role when played with Rein too. Hog is for pick / damage / shield break. He's okay to occasionally face tank for the team though I don't expect that to be that useful in lower levels since people probably don't rotate/pivot around damage mitigation that well.

Back to making space. Now, after picking a tank, think about what you need to do to create the most space efficiently. Do you go for a dive in, or do you stay and play around barriers? Refer heavily on both team comps, the map, and current positioning of everyone. Offensive jumps in to disrupt might sound good and simple, but you really need to be aware of what poses problems to you when and after you jump in. You should always plan to be able to jump in and back out before you die just on your own. If you feel that you require significant team support to clear the jump or you might not make it out alive, don't take the jump. Pay attention to what heroes can delete you quickly, and at the next level, their cooldowns. It's perfectly fine to never jump in if you feel that you can never get an advantageous jump out of it. There are some cases where it's fine, if not actually a good move, to dive in, get a crucial kill or break formation and die afterwards if it lets your team win the fight, but one thing at a time. By jumping, I mean it applies to both Winston and D.Va, and perhaps Rein to some extent. Figure out who's the highest value target you can kill, and who is the easiest target for you to kill, and factor in the ability to escape after the jump. You'll get used to the decision making after some time.

If you can't jump or have no reason to jump them, what I like to do is to save my jump CD to counter jump, i.e. jump after their tanks jump. This is especially true for D.Va. D.Va Boosters can be used to boop away a Winston jump, and is useful to chase an enemy D.Va beelining for your teammates. Doing a short Winston jump is still useful for burst damage and knockback, or use it to go straight up and down when you're reloading or low on health. Rein v Rein you can just cancel their charge assuming no Zarya bubbles. Or if you're feeling cheeky you could charge when / before Winston lands to pin him.

Can go on forever, but this is the gist of it. Hope it helps you.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I wanna get more into this game because I really fucking enjoy it, but I can't play it for too long without sinking into a braindead autopilot state where I do dumb shit like solo-charging a well-established defence. I don't really notice myself doing it either, since it's kinda like tilting only not salty. When I'm in that state I drop games like crazy and I feel like I'm a much better player normally than my SR would indicate, because I so often play in a trash mindset I go nowhere. It ultimately doesn't matter since there's nothing really gained for me in improving at this game, but it's just nice to do well and I'd like to get out of scrub territory lol.

Also when you play tanks, what kind of thought process do you usually follow? I don't play Hog or Zarya, I generally go Orisa on defense and DVa on offense, and I can play Rein and Winston but I haven't sussed out what kind of scenarios to pick them. I guess Winston is good at disrupting enemies before they can form a co-ordinated group, which imo makes him effective on KotH, on offense when you've got a payload and idk I've made him work as an ultra aggressive defender when defending a point. Rein I just don't know when to pick him though
Winston is the ONLY tank that breaks / disrupts almost every team comp and anyone who wants to main tanks should absolutely learn the basic 101s of Winston. In my honest opinion he's the only really balanced tank right now, he works well just about on every team comp and like I said he can disrupt every team comp. Play Winston, not enough people take him seriously enough outside of the esports scene.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I recently built myself a lovely PC. I get 95FPS on Ultra settings. Compared to my older PC this is a huge difference (my old PC got 25FPS on low settings). Because of this I purchased a second account, just to see if I'd place any differently with this new PC.

On my main account I mostly play Tanks and Support, and I placed mid platinum (2700). On my new account I placed mid gold (2300). One thing that bugs me however is when I check my stats on websites and OverSumo, my stats indicate that I'm playing at a Master / GM level. My question is, are these stats figures bogus, or does invidiudal skill not matter much in Overwatch?

Attachments

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Those stats are irrelevant, especially OverSumo. Stats are useless without a context, you may be doing well enough that a stat site think you're good, but an actual GM would cut through gold like a knife cuts through butter. With a new PC and training dps (you need to train it first) you could get to diamond, though.

Also individual skill in Overwatch doesn't matter that much.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Don't run the game on ultra, fps >>>>> quality. Turn off vsync, turn every setting to low, and your performance should ramp up significantly.

It's such an intense difference in terms of gameplay experience. Whenever I go into competitive I turn off anything on ultra and put everything down as low as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)