Project OU Weekly Research | v2 hosted by Terrakion. coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
totally forgot to do this last night... sorry! i was studying :3c.

Dr Ciel Recreant ethanlol Dallasboi1992 anddd the rest of you already posted rofl o///o​

thanks everyone that signed up! you guys have between now and monday (5/9) night EST to write up your posts about whichever pokemon you took (gengar / mega pert / goodra). as a reminder:
If you take a test subject, it is expected that you'll post. Your posts don't need to be super lengthy & detailed, but they shouldn't be super short and simple. I'm not gonna put some arbitrary regulation on how many sentences you should have, but you should have at least a small paragraph.
and as a reminder to those unsure of what to post:
Things you can post include (but are not limited to):
  • strategies used
  • how you went about building with this Pokemon
  • general strengths / weaknesses you noticed about the Pokemon
  • if the meta is in favor of the Pokemon or not
  • sets you used with the Pokemon
remember: you aren't limited to these guidelines; they're just here to help in case you aren't sure what to post. if you'd prefer to focus on 1 specific aspect of the pokemon you selected rather than a broad overview, that's totally okay! if you're still lost, try checking out this post by Infernal.

if you didn't sign up but you'd like to post, feel free to do so, but just don't post if you haven't used the pokemon in awhile / at all. also, if you signed up, but you cannot find the time to post, don't worry about it! just please don't do it regularly :x

have fun :DD

Generally for Mega Swampert, you'd want to build rain so essentially I went that route. Unfortunately, the team didn't work out as well as I would have liked it to work since Ferrothorn was pretty abundant and I had difficulty breaking it. As for the metagame around Mega Swampert, it's not too favorable for it. I had a difficult time getting Mega Swampert in on my opponents and that one turn for it to Mega Evolve in rain can prove to be pretty costly for its longevity. Sadly, rain isn't what it used to be. :/

since i posted a little about gengar in the metagame discussion thread, i figured i'd just put that here:

while i definitely think gengar dropping a rank in VR is warranted at this point, i also believe that a lot of people heavily overlook gengar when building. i've only started playing around with gengar recently, meaning i haven't really battled too much, but from the battles i've played, i've noticed quite a few people who have essentially nothing for gengar. mega scizor and tyranitar (and whatever other threat to gengar i feel like i'm forgetting atm) are definitely huge forces in the metagame that see high usage, but not every team runs these two pokemon ofc lol. a large chunk of the ones that don't are usually relying on just out-offensing gengar. it's almost as if playing with gengar is a huge 50/50: your opponent will either have the pretty popular mon that nearly totally shuts it down, or your opponent won't have much for it at all. this can be said about a lot of pokemon around the A- to B level on the VR thread for sure...

i won't post my team because i'm still playing around with it, but what i've been doing is running gengar + bulky pivot + thing that can pressure pursuit trappers as my starting core. for example:

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- U-turn
- Iron Head

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
this is just one variant of this that's incorporated in one of my builds. basically, the core utilizes spdef jirachi as a slow u-turner to bring gengar in. a funny situation this core places me in a lot goes along the lines of:
  1. i bring in keld against (insert whatever pokemon here), this lures in lati@s, allowing me to icy wind.
  2. icy wind lowers speed, odds are they're going for draco / psyshock / roost, so i just go into rachi.
  3. from there, they either switch out to play it safe or predict and go into lando-t / chomp / tran / w.e to take the iron head (or u-turn), usually predicting that it's scarf rachi.
  4. i u-turn out and have the ability bring gengar in. if they stayed in with lati thinking they're the best player ever, i outspeed and pressure them with shadow ball or w.e. if they switched out, i can either go gengar or something more appropriate.
this is a pretty basic cycle that'll happen with slow volt-turners in general, but it's really funny how it works here with gengar because it can just immediately pressure a lot of stuff. this type of thing usually doesn't happen if they have a pursuiter because i'm clearly gonna make sure gengar doesn't die early on (it's a pretty good wincon in a lot of situations).

in general, slow volt-turner + thing that applies pressure + thing that handles that things annoying checks makes for really nice bulky offense (see: specs hoopa + rotom-w pre-ban, band terrakion + rotom-w / w.e, etc.).

on another note, with gengar you have a ton of enjoyable fourth move options to play around with on this thing: taunt, destiny bond, trick (if choice), HP fire, icy wind / HP ice (if scared of bisharp), dazzling gleam, substitute, wisp, pain split, energy ball, psychic, thunderbolt... (last few are pretty shit). in addition to that, there are some fun sets to play around with other than standard LO like sub + disable, subsplit, hex, specs, and scarf (really dumb).

so while the meta hasn't been kind to gengar with the rise in pursuit / ttar and mega scizor becoming a little better than it already was (cause tankchomp, zard-x, etc. usage declining), gengar is still a nice threat that's fun to play around with.
i won't be adding this to archive ofc.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Gengar - The Shadow Pokemon
  • strategies used
Gengar is only really useful in offensive teams to cause huge problems for most balanced and stall teams. Gengar's main assets are it's 110 Speed tier, which is is below average in the current meta, but is by no means slow, an extremely high Special Attack stat, and Taunt, which is the main selling point of Gengar in my opinion, as it can easily disrupt most Stall teams with it, as he beats down the opponent with its STAB attacks. In addition, Gengar has a nifty Fighting immunity and a neat resistance to Fairy, which allows it to easily switch-in to such Pokemon locked into a Fighting type move while also swiftly eliminating Fairies, especially Clefable with STAB Sludge Wave. Unfortunately, Gengar is extremely frail as even neutral hits will do heavy damage to him. In addition, faster Knock Off users such as Tornadus-T and Weavile will draw people away from Gengar.

Due to his extreme fraility, Gengar really appreciates a slow Volt Switch or U-Turn to get him in safely. As such, Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Rotom-W, and even faster Volt Switchers such as Mega Manectric make extremely good partners. In addition, Landorus-T can set Stealth Rock to wear down Gengar's checks and counters over the course of a match. Other wall-breakers such as Keldeo, Crawdaunt, Mega Gardevoir and Kyurem-B make ecellent partners as they take advantage of the switches that Gengar forces. Finally, defensively bulky Steel types such as Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor make good partners. Ferrothorn can set Spikes and both can take priority aimed at Gengar.

As I said earlier in this post, Gengar has high Speed and Special Attack, allowing it to be a pretty consistent stall-breaker in OU. Another huge positive about Gengar is his deep move-pool and coverage options. Support moves such as Taunt, Substitute, Will-o-Wisp, Trick, Pain Split, Destiny Bond& coverage options such as Icy Wind & Dazzling Gleam allow Gengar to not only support his team, but lure in some of his own common switch-ins. However, Gengar's fraility is what really lets it down. Neutral attacks will take it down with relative ease & it's unable to switch in even on powerful resisted hits. The prevalence of Knock Off also prevents Gengar from being as good as it used to be in past metas.

Unfortunately, no. The meta is slightly too fast & the prevalence of Knock Off prevents Gengar from being as effective as it once was.

Shout-out to Creator of Chaos for the team and cool set.

Ghost of Ending (Gengar) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Icy Wind
- Trick

Gengar is a really cool mon, because it doesn't have a good amount of things that can switch in. Some switch-ins I could name off the top in my head is like AV users such as Tornadus and Raikou. But in general Gengar can really make matches hard to due to it's amazing offensive stats, coverage and a lot of teams just fall to it. A lot of Gengar is prediction based with dark types and normal types/steel types such as Lopunny and Jirachi. Gengar also has good utility in Destiny Bond, Wisp, SubSplit, Trick, and Taunt which can help cripple switch-ins, take advantage of switches, and be good vs. common stealth rockers and stall mons. It also has Bolt-Beam coverage which allows it to hit Skarm, Garchomp and Landorus. Gengar has seen a little bit of a fall off, but I think it's incredibly hard to switch-into. Gengar also suffers with a middling speed at 110 which ties with Latios, Diancie, etc. This is bad for Gengar's case since it is so frail it is easily revenge-killable by things like Thundurus, Starmie, and Scarf Tar. Gengar also can't directly switch into attacks due to it's awful bulk. It has to rely on revenge killing slower mons. It also good at killing fat stuff like Slowbro and Clefable which are really big threats at +1 while also revenge killing Breloom. I quite like Specs and LO to help it wallbreak.

Positives to Gengar is a high spA and middling speed tier combined with good coverage, this is really neutralized by it's frailness and weakness to pursuit trapping.

I wanted a team that appreciate's Gengar's ability to pressure teams by forcing switch-ins and being able to be a menace towards balance while being able to take care of things like Tangrowth, Slowbro, and Clefable. I also wanted to add a bulky pivot that could give Gengar free switch-ins, I chose Rotom-W to help vs birds. I wanted something that could also break Chnasey and dark types.

So I sort of wanted to pair Gengar with something that killed Chansey and dark types so I opted for Keldeo over Crawdaunt. Together they ripped apart stall. I then added a Rotom to lure in Latios, pivot for Gengar, and help vs. birds like Talonflame and Tornadus. I was quite weak to alakazam, electrics, and needed rocks, so I added some sand offense. Chople Tar for Alakazam. Tangrowth to patch up common weaknesses to sand.

I mean it is really hard to switch into but scarf tar, talonflame, etc scare it out. idk it's a threat for sure, but dark types are rly prevalent as well as Tornadus. :(

ty starry blanket for hosting this thread, I am planning on taking a break, but this was one of my favorites :D

Last edited:

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Mega Swampert is a great Wallbreaker, its greatest utility is in the rain team, due to its ability Swift Swim allowing him to become one of pokemon more fast in the rain, has a decent coverage, is able to use ice punch and low kick, useful to meet common Ferrothorn and TankChomp. mega Pert is controlled by Rotom-W, Slowbro / Slowbro Mega, Mega Venusaur, as we noted mega swampert only the weakness of the grass type, this is an advantage, because mega swampert very solid statistics, which allow it to withstand hard knocks as Draco meteor Latios if he distributes well in spd, the disadvantage and that type grass in OU are going up recently (yesterday, lol) amoonguss became OU, the metagame is seeing many Tang around, this is a point of disadvantage for mega Pert, that has no place to show all his skills in the tier. As I said above, swampert is its contagion in the rain builds, these allow pert to exploit his skills at peak aspettive, making it a dangerous pokemon for offense, but mega Pert is not only good in a rain team, may in fact also be used out of the rain, perhaps using his own rain dance, questpo system allows the rest of the team does not depend on mega swampert, that mean that the team should not be based on its sweep, given that manages to create itself the conditions to sweep.
The most viable sets for mega swampert are: Offensive Rain sweeper, this set is probably the most common, runs waterfall / earthquake / ice punch / kick or Low PuP, in short waterfall is the stab that enhanced by precipitation less becomes lethal, causing enormous neutral damage to pokemon as Clefable, mega Gardevoir, earthquake, powerful stab, useful to take out Jirachi, Empoleon, mega Metagross, is very good to do serious damage to Keldeo, Manaphy, Low kick, very good move that allows Pert tackle Ferrothorn, and finally ice punch, useful for dealing tankchomp, Latios.
Another very beautiful set is the curse mega pert, is a very good win condition, which succeeds thanks to its bulk to keep pokemon as Kyurem-b, latios, Clefable, mega Gardevoir mega Diancie, this set runs: Waterfall / Curse / Rest / Sleeptalk or Earthquake, This type of swampert utility located in semi stall / stall builds, it becomes a sort of status absorber, which thanks to its incredible guy, immune to electric manages to be a good counter for Rotom-W, which is very difficult to deal with for stall unless you have a ground in the team, I would mention the stall used by OrdA when Stag was still OU, composed of Swampert / Gothithelle / celebi / Mandibuzz / Chansey / Alomomola, this team was really solid, part curse was a good glue to beat volturn, and a great status absorber, good times :3.

I now present a rain offense made by me some months ago (probably I will make one soon with Volcanion).

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Hypnosis
- Encore
- Rest

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Low Kick

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is a standard rain offense, which revolves around 3 sweppers rain, I put obviously damp poles rock to have a longer duration of the rain, then I decided to put d tankchomp to address threats such as sand rush Excadrill, charizard Y in case of war weather finally assaut vest raikou, great pivot, I need to check the bulky waters as keld, slowbro, manaphy, Azumarill also is a great counter to Thundurus and mega Manectric, that gave me pretty much 6-0 lol.

I hope this analysis was beautiful to read to you, I would also like to thank starry for the excellent work she is doing with this project, I really like, good evening everyone :)

closing this round!

the posts being added to archive are this post on gengar by Dr Ciel, this post on mega swampert by King Sun, and this post on goodra by HailFall. also, this post on metagross by Infernal is going to be added to archive (from last week).

remember: the archived posts are simply the posts that best summarize the pokemon for future reference. not every post needs to summarize the pokemon; some people may just want to center their posts around one aspect, and that's totally okay. you don't need to follow the guidelines perfectly to post here; they're just there to guide you a bit if you're unsure of what to post.

~​

week #17

sylveon | mega metagross | gliscor
i chose sylveon because of the disaster that happened in the VR thread prior to revamp with people arguing about this thing lol. also, it just dropped to UU recently. what does it do that clefable doesn't? meta metagross was chosen because it has seen steady drops in viability since the days of its suspect, and that is now really reflected in the VR thread where it sits in A- next to things like mega gyarados, mega heracross, and gliscor. finally, gliscor was chosen because of how bulky grounds are essentially a must on the vast majority of builds. we're usually seeing people go with chomp / lando-t as their ground. with hippo usage having declined a little while ago, does gliscor have a solid role currently, or are the more passive ground types becoming less optimal in comparison to other grounds?

REMEMBER: you simply pick 1 one of these 3 (or 2 / 3 of them if you want :p) and post here saying which one you're taking. also, you can use any set you want!

the discussion period will start on 5/13 (at night in EST); those of you who want to participate have between now and then to play around with these pokemon.

enjoy n_n

Sun

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I can make them all 3? I like and I have a lot of experience with all, I would be very happy if I can ^^

I'll go with Sylveon since it was on the team I got good decent with.

This will be my first post on the forums lol (other than shit RMT attempts) but rest assured I'll do my best! My exams are finally over too. :)

closing !

thanks everyone that signed up! you guys have between now and monday (5/16) night EST to write up your posts about whichever pokemon you took (sylveon / mega metagross / gliscor). as a reminder:
If you take a test subject, it is expected that you'll post. Your posts don't need to be super lengthy & detailed, but they shouldn't be super short and simple. I'm not gonna put some arbitrary regulation on how many sentences you should have, but you should have at least a small paragraph.
and as a reminder to those unsure of what to post:
  • strategies used
remember: you aren't limited to these guidelines; they're just here to help in case you aren't sure what to post. if you'd prefer to focus on 1 specific aspect of the pokemon you selected rather than a broad overview, that's totally okay! if you're still lost, try checking out this post by Infernal.

if you didn't sign up but you'd like to post, feel free to do so, but just don't post if you haven't used the pokemon in awhile / at all. also, if you signed up, but you cannot find the time to post, don't worry about it! just please don't do it regularly :x

not that many people signed up for sylveon, so if nobody posts for it, i'm just gonna remove it off the slate because it's total garbage hehe. happy posting everyone c:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • strategies used

Question 1

Pursuit Trapping:
I tried to use quite a few different strategies with megagross, but a few stuck out for me. Using mega gross as a pursuit trapper was the first thing that came into my mind because role compression is one thing that is extremely valuable in teambuilding these days. Having a catch-all check for EVERY fairy in the game is really nice, especially since the only one it doesn't really like switching into is MDiancie, who can be easily checked with BP. Pairing MGross with mons annoyed by the lati twins like keldeo, volcanion, lando, raikou, rotom-w etc. was a really nice strategy since a lot of offensive teams are overly reliant on the lati twins to check these threats and wont expect mgross to have pursuit since it's a pretty uncommon a move choice rn. (it isnt even near the top of the most used moves in the april stats).

Pairing with Wallbreakers:
Metagross has an incredibly difficult time muscling past defensive walls like bulky waters, bulky grounds, and bulky steels in particular. As a result of this, pairing metagross up with breakers is really nice. Ebelt/Lefties Volcanion in particular sticks out since it can wear down bulky waters with toxic, and snap both bulky ground and bulky steels in half in between steam eruption and flamethrower/fire blast. Life Orb Starmie is nice because it removes hazards without having to use defog so that metagross doesn't have to take a ton of damage every time that it comes in vs spikes stacking teams (since many pack bisharp which deters defog) and it can break down all of the aforementioned types of mons (bar ferrothorn which you can run hammer arm for) in between a moveset of hydro pump tbolt and ice beam with rspin for hazard control.

Pivoting VolturnPass Cores:
Metagross has good natural bulk, but as an offense/bulky offense breaker it doesn't really want to switch into a bunch of moves just to get in and do some damage for the sake of its longevity. Pivots, perferably offensive ones that put pressure on your opponents and force them to switch out into favorable match ups for metagross, really help with this since they can slowly get metagross in without it having to take damage and can really steal the momentum away from your opponent, which is critical in a ton of matches. Additionally, a lot of pivots have solid offensive synergy with metagross, so they can form potent cores that exert a ton of offensive pressure on your opponent.

Question 2

This is a pretty fun bulky offense team that I've been using a bit lately with meta, so I thought that I might as well post it here. Basically specs volc hits like a truck and can decimate teams when used in tandem with pivots. MMeta has tpunch to pressure waters, pursuit to trap lati twins, and stabs to hit shit hard and wallbreak. It is a cool fairy check for fairies like mega alt and mdiancie that threaten volc while also checking clef, which normally can set up vs volc on the switch. Starmie is the mandatory hazard removal with volc and is a cool wallbreaker that can not only pressure waters but also not make me get rid of rocks when i set them up. It checks rock types and shit that volc doesn't wanna deal with while also beating fat grounds/dragons with ice beam. lando is a fat, slow pivot that can sap up hits from physical attackers and punish random u-turners. After that, fast wisp tran was added to check a few random threats to the team like bisharp and tflame while also being a fire type aside from volc to check shit like sciz. lastly, celebi was added as a mon to break waters and check most of them while also being a possible nasty passer into volc for late games vs fat teams, and its baton pass can come in very handy for gaining momentum and free switches for volc when shit like rotom is forced to pivot out. This team is a lot of fun to play with and I recommend that you guys should at least try it out when you have the time to. If you find weavile annoying to deal with, you can use talon>tran or bp mmeta if u want, but I don't like teams that are too reliant on starmie for hazard control and weav isn't usually a problem to play around if you play well since it can't switch in on anything bar celebi, who's clicking bp 90% of the time anyways.
Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Pursuit

Volcanion @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Toxic/Hidden Power Grass
- Sludge Bomb

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast/Magma Storm/Flamethrower (depending on ur luck)
- Taunt
- Toxic

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot

Question 3
Pros:
  • Tough Claws makes it hit insanely hard
  • Superb Bulk for an offensive mon
  • Useful steel typing for pivoting
  • Myriad of coverage options to choose from
  • Solid 110 Speed
  • Great Fairy Check
  • Puts tons of offensive pressure on teams when paired with other breakers.
Cons:
  • Defensive typing makes it weak to dark, fire, ground, and ghost which are all super common
  • Subpar base 70 speed pre-mega
  • Susceptible to status
  • No reliable recovery moves
  • No fire coverage to hit scizor/skarm/ferro/etc. in the same moveslot
  • Matches up poorly vs sand
Question 4:
Considering that teams in general are getting fatter and have more bulky mons to wall Metagross, I guess that you could say that the meta isn't in favor of Metagorss, but it is still really effective. Not to mention that over 30% of people still use landot and a very large portion of them use it as a ""catch-all physical attacker stop" and this is really good for Meta since it can run ice punch and landot usage has only been rising lately. So if you weigh these various factors, I would say that meta is decent in the meta but it is a tad unfavorable for it (hence its drop from S to A- rank in vr, which should only br A btw).

Sets Used
I pretty much only used the four attacks set, swapping out moves depending on the team that I used metagross on. I really hate losing out on coverage on metagross specifically, so I never bothered tinkering with rp or pup or anything like that.

'Hope you guys found this helpful. Thanks and have a nice day. :]

Sun

Gliscor is a great stallbreaker, has an excellent ability called poison heal, allowing him to absorb the opponents status, since it is already poisoned, in more each turn recovers more life, so it makes it even more durable, this ability is the reason the Gliscor which is a great check for mega Sab also has an excellent user setup, learning SD can be very dangerous for fatty team, and become very boring for some balanced team, for example sand balance; However Gliscor is a pokemon that is dependent on the match up in a battle, because his type ground / flying makes it frail ice, and water, in many cases it becomes difficult for Gliscor have a good impact on the match, but if you he knows how to play around with these threats to Gliscor you really can easily close the match with himself. As I said earlier, it does not like pokemon Gliscor water and ice mainly also the bother even BoltBeam users, as mega Latias, Clef (rare), fast electrics, good partners for Gliscor are in fact bulky waters, as Keldeo, who can stop Weavile Kyurem-b, also he checks the ice types in general, other good partners are charizard x, great if the set is used bulky wisp, common in balance, this set of zard helps to weaken Rotom-w, also has good to check raikou, mega mane and Thund, in return, Gliscor offers excellent immunity to ground, and a great match up against Quagsire 1v1 if you play the subtoxic variant, but still managed to handle it even without that variant. the most common set Gliscor is the SPD stallbreaker with SD or without, this set manages to be really boring for pokemon as hippo, lando t, this set is able to check MG Clef, and also will dance in face-to Skarmory if Gliscor has taunt, so avoid WW and roost. Another Set very funny and boring for the opponent is the subtoxic, this set can wear down defensive core very quickly, especially if the opponent is missing a very hard water to check him, is paired with pokemon as char x , for weaken his counters as I mentioned above.

This is a very fun team (do not use it in competition, because it is just disgusting xD) focuses on char x + subtoxic Gliscor :)

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Protect

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Spikes

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 13 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

is a simple and fun hazard stacking, with Jelli to prevent rapid spin, I'm also finding very good Jelli to control volc, even if my set does not control it at all because it was built pre volc, skarm controls weav, mega diancie, which give trouble zard also provides defog, for hazards, removing iron was added to rislovere some problems with azu, since I had skarm spd, i finally added clef to have better control against fire latios hp and Kyurem-b, hope you like ^^ :toast:

In a while I will return to introduce Sylveon and its potential ^^

Analysis

The first thing anyone in this community would associate with Sylveon is outclassed. No one can actually deny this fact, but Sylveon does have some perks over some of its fairy type counterparts.

Sylveon (Defensive set) vs Clefable

No arguments on this. Sylveon does take special hits better and attacks harder, but Clef already mitigates this with the use of Calm Mind. Yes Sylveon gets Calm Mind too, but it doesn’t have enough moveslots for it. Clef makes space with the use of instant recovery over wish and it doesn’t have the need to use Heal Bell and Aromatherapy because of Magic Guard. This allows Clef to run utility moves like Calm Mind and Thunder Wave and even Encore, not only making it a good utility mon, but also an effective win-con. Meanwhile, Sylveon is always stuck with running the same old moves. Wait, now what? This is a utility set and not a Cleric. Yes, but this set is a Status Absorber, meaning that with proper playing there’s no need to click Heal Bell. Also, this is only Clef’s MG + CM set, I haven’t gone on to others. If you want to compare Clef’s Cleric set head to head with Sylveon’s, you still have to admit that Sylveon loses as Clef has better PhysDef and abilities. In short, Clefable outclasses Sylveon completely.

Hence, I’ll be working on its Offensive set.

Sylveon (Offensive set) vs Special Offensive Fairies

When you mention Special Offensive Fairies, you think of Mega Gardevoir and Mega Diancie. What does Sylveon have over these 2 mons? I can think of 2 things, the first being that it doesn’t take up a Mega slot and the second being that it can hit harder. However, it is much slower. Therefore, to make the best use of Sylveon, we have to capitalize on these 2 aspects, which means that we gotta make sure the Mega in the team fits it extremely well and find a team spot which needs a powerful special fairy wallbreaker.

Team

I tried many ways to use Sylveon to the most effect. Firstly, I tried to make it the star of the team, using Magnezone to get rid of Steels and Sticky Web to slow targets down. However, it didn’t work out well, probably because Sticky Web users are bad in general, and that Sylveon doesn’t have the potential to be the star of an OU team.

So I went on with building another team, and here we have it:

Suzy (Sylveon) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass

Hippo (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Driller (Excadrill) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Smart Bear (Slowking) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

CNY (Gyarados-Mega) (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Mushroom Balls (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore

Maybe not the best team but decent enough. This is actually my first Balance team without Slowbro lol. It’s my favourite playstyle. Hippo + King + Mushroom completes the defensive core. Driller is the Speed Control and helps to get rid of pesky Steels and Poisons that get in the way. Mega Gyarados actually sets up on so many things which take hits from Sylveon which is a nice thing. Sylveon doesn’t make its appearance often, but when it does it makes such a huge impact. Damn it hits so hard. Since this team often has trouble breaking PhysDef mons, this thing supports the team well.

Sylveon vs Metagame

The metagame is pretty unfavourable towards it. Low PhysDef and Speed really hurts. Still, it hits like a truck and fares exceptionally well against Semi-Stall, Balance and even Bulky Offense.

In a Nutshell

Despite its many flaws, Sylveon is a pretty fun mon to use in general. I would advise people in this community to try it out. If used to its maximum potential, this thing can be a monster. Doesn’t hurt to try it out, right?

Sun

Sylveon is a powerful Wallbreaker type fairy, who succeeds due to its ability to become very dangerous for fat teams and stall, doing a lot of damage with his specs hyper voice; Sylveon is a slow Pokemon, needs support in this metagame each team plays at least one steel, then ground type or fire-type are not bad, Gliscor, defensive Landorus-t, char x, talonflame are great examples. Sylveon boasts of a huge bulk on the special side, which allows you to counter keld, Kyurem-b (without iron head, with right ev distribution), check the electrics well as mega mane, Thund. talking about the offensive side, sylveon can as I said before to wear down the stall teams with the right support for chansey to eliminate, or at least weaken it to bring it within psyschock after rocks, good offensive teammate for sylveon are mega lopunny, Keldeo, that help sylveon against steel especially Bisharp and mega Metagross, poison jab Weavile, Keldeo instead helps against Heatran mainly, and also helps to beat physical threats as Garchomp, lando, they do a lot of damage to sylveon, given his little physical bulk;
the sets more common to sylveon are: Specs, the specs variant is probably the most usable version of Sylveon and dangerous, running Hyper voice, the main stab, (but I saw Albacore win against stall using echoed voice xD) Psyschock, excellent move for counteract the special wall, useful against gengar when maybe does not expect a specs contrast, HP fire, excellent move to deal with Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, an option is to use HP ground, breaking Heatran, but usually this work is rare because Dugtrio plays a better job if coupled with sylveon, last move, baton pass, it generates momentum, brings in Dugtrio to trap Heatran also is also helpful to bring in even more check of his counters; another set is the wish protect, replaced by Clefable, but it's a set that sylveon can be used well, it was used for balance or semistall teams, I say "was" because now sylveon is uu, and not seen as much in ou, worked as a defensive tank, he struck hard with his Hyper voice and cared at the same time.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Baton Pass

Dugtrio @ Custap Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Endure
- Reversal
- Stone Edge

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Secret Sword

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 160 HP / 240 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Heat Wave
- Toxic/hidden power ice
- Thunderbolt

I decided to build a team around specs sylveon and custap Dugtrio, these two have very good together, because it traps Heatran, Metagross, also thanks to custap + endure, Dugtrio able to attack first, eliminating threats such as lopunny mega, mega mane , scarf Terrakion, mega diancie etc, so I put av torn, generating momentum that allowed to Dugtrio entering on Heatran and Magnezone without problems, after I put bulky wisp zard, excellent answer for fast electrics and Bisharp also is very tedious to deal with, then I realized that I was weak to Weav, and I was still missing something to totally eliminate Bisharp to +2, and I also had a huge weakness in Pinsir and rocks, so I put resttalk Deo and Zapdos, hope you like

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus

Mega Metagross

Strategies Used:

Metagross, although not as powerful as it was around the time of its suspect, still manages to remain a strong force in OU due to its great speed, bulk, and power, which is supported by the variety of coverage/support options that Metagross can use. One of its strongest roles right now, in my eyes, is as a strong holepunching Pursuit trapper who can also deal very well with Clefable due to its STAB Tough Claws boosted Meteor Mash easily being able to OHKO Clef (make sure to watch out for T-Wave though >.>). It works well in taking out annoying Psychic types such as the Latis while also being very threatening due to its strong coverage options; here is the exact set I used:

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit / Hammer Arm / Bullet Punch / Refresh

BoltBeam Metagross is nice for hitting many of OU's biggest threats in the current meta, mainly Volcanion and Lando-T, who this specific set is designed to beat. Meteor Mash is standard due to its sheer power along with its nice 20% chance to boost your attack, which can find itself handy against mons that Metagross may have issues in dealing with normally. Finally, the last slot is pretty team specific, as you can put Pursuit for team support as I did myself, Hammer Arm for extra coverage, mainly against Ferrothorn/Heatran which are always annoying, or Bullet Punch for chip damage against faster mons/being able to take them out if worn down enough, as well as avoiding speed ties against non-HP Fire M-Diancie. Another option which I personally have been enjoying is Refresh, as you can switch into Clefable far more easily as you can just heal off any paras/burns, both of which are insanely annoying for Metagross to deal with and can easily cripple it for the match.

Building with Mega Metagross:

I built this team right here for the Reuni+Keldeo Teambuilding Competition, and it focused on using Metagross to punch holes in opposing teams/ pursuit trap Latis as well as other annoying mons to prep for a Reuniclus sweep:

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Strengths:

Although Metagross is not a mon that most people tend to prep for much anymore, Metagross easily finds itself able to come in on many mons such as the always-popular Latios and start wreaking havoc on the enemy team. Its strong coverage with T-Punch+Ice Punch and Meteor Mash along with whatever 4th option you decide to use for Metagross make it difficult for mons on the opposing teams to have consistent switchins. It's just very threatening when it gets onto the field due to its strong presence and always manages to perform well in just about every match that I used it in. Steel/Psychic typing along with 80/150/110 bulk is absolutely nothing to scoff at, either. It does find itself getting worn down a bit due to repeated switchins along with no recovery options, but being resistant to Rocks helps it switchin a lot easier than other mons. Never once did I ever think that Metagross was dead weight; while sure, some matchups may seem difficult for it to handle, such as against sand and M-Scizor teams, with proper support, Metagross will mostly always be able to weaken the enemy team well.

Weaknesses:

There are in fact very annoying aspects about using Metagross, however. The main problem it faces is its slow speed before mega evolving, meaning it has to play safely and cannot just come in whenever it wants before doing so, as many threatening mons, such as Garchomp, are able to take advantage of this and force it out due to being able to take out Meta in one hit or severely damage it to the point of limiting its switchins opportunities. While Metagross may be good at punching holes, do not overestimate its power. While Tough Claws boosted attacks coming off of a base 145 Attack is certainly fantastic, don't expect it to break through everything. For example, it does just about jack shit vs. M-Scizor, and even with T-Punch, it doesn't 2HKO standard Slowbro and PhysDef Skarm without prior damage beforehand. But these points are kind of minor and can easily be fixed through smart play and teambuilding.

Verdict:

Overall, while meta trends may suggest that Metagross may not be doing all too well in the meta, such as the rise in bulky waters, Sand teams being as common as ever, and while M-Scizor remains a potent force in the tier, Metagross still finds itself a strong force in the meta. T-Punch is able to 2HKO Volcanion switchins, meaning it has to be careful when trying to come out against Metagross, and also the fact that a vast majority of M-Diancie's are running HP Fire at the moment mean that Metagross is able to easily deal with Diancie due to not having to worry about speed tying all too much once you figure out that its running HP Fire. The 4MSS argument that I hear against it (not as much anymore, though) doesn't really mean anything; it tailors its moveset for the team that it finds itself on, and if you give it a well defined role on a team where it can show off its power, Mega Metagross will rarely let you down, especially with proper team support. All in all, while there are some harsh meta trends going against it, I would say that the meta still is in favor of Mega Metagross, and I would recommend all to build with it, as it is absolutely a boat load of fun to use, and annhililating Clefable is always a good time.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Gliscor - The Fang Scorp Pokemon
  • strategies used
Gliscor has always been quite the unique Pokemon through the generations, solidifying itself as a Pokemon to be considered on balanced teams. Gliscor's main selling point is its Ability, Poison Heal, which gives it much needed passive recovery. Access to reliable recovery in Roost, Taunt to shut down common defensive cores, and Swords Dance to break down bulky Pokemon lets Gliscor be one of the most annoying Pokemon in the OverUsed tier. Unfortunately, Gliscor has below average HP and Special Defense, meaning even neutral special attacks will be doing significant damage. A 4x weakness to Ice and a common weakness to common Water types means that Glliscor will often struggle to break through more offensive teams.

Pokemon to patch up Gliscor's weaknesses is extremely appreciated. Such examples of this include Starmie and Mega Altaria, as Gliscor can check their common threats in return. Grass types including Celebi and Ferrothorn can easily handle the Water types and Ferrothorn in particular can switch-in to Pokemon known to use Ice types and Pokemon that use Ice type coverage moves such as Mamoswine, Manaphy, and Starmie. Skarmory and Gliscor make for an extremely annoying core as Skarmory has no problems dealing with Mega Metagross, Mega Altaria, and Mamoswine, while Gliscor deals with special attackers such as Flamethrower Clefable, CM Sableye, and Gengar. Last but not least, Reuniclus is probably the best partner for Gliscor. Reuniclus appreciates Mega Sableye being off the field while it can provide an answer to common water types including Suicune, Slowbro (Should it run Shadow Ball), and Keldeo.

Gliscor has a myriad of strengths that allow it to be effective in the meta. Most notably, Poison Heal gives Gliscor passive recovery while Roost gives him reliable recovery. Gliscor also has moves to support not only himself but his team as well, most notably Taunt, which allows it to break through defensively oriented cores. Solid coverage moves such as Facade and Stone Edge / Rock Slide allows Gliscor to lure in and beat common switch-ins. One notable plus that Gliscor has is that it's an excellent switch-in to Knock Off and a solid status absorber once its Toxic Orb has been activated. Unfortunately for Gliscor, meager HP and Special Defense stats mean that Gliscor is unable to take on stronger special attackers and even neutral special attacks will do siginificant amounts of damage. Weakness to common Water types coupled with a 4x weakness to Ice has Gliscor struggling against Pokemon that carry these moves as either STAB or coverage.

Yes. Defensive and balanced teams are quite common in the current meta, meaning Gliscor can excel in its role.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Roost

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Mega Metagross is a good pokémon, it have a lot of points that turn it into a good pokémon to OU meta.
Strengths
  • Metagross-Mega have an awesome 145 Based + Tough Claws based Attack, turning it into the most powerful Steel-type pokémon in the OU meta.
  • Is able to defeat any S Rank in 1v1. It can easily OHKO Clefable with its Meteor Mash STAB and can't only switch in if Clefable runs Thunder Wave. Zen Headbutt OHKOes Keldeo and it is only 2HKOed by Scarf Hydro Pump, it only fears Scarf with Scald + Burn and cannot switch in due to burn. It may OHKO Tornadus-T with Meteor Mash (12.5% chance to do without Stealth Rocks and 100% to do with they) and can only be 2HKOed by Heat Wave if it run Heat Wave.
  • Metagross have not only an awesome Attack Base, but 80/150/110 Bulky, being really hard to OHKO and have a useful 105 based SpA, being able to use Grass Knot (thanks to Tough Claws' boost) to OHKO Quagsire with a Jolly Nature, 2HKO Standard Hippowdon, 2HKO offensive Starmie and 3HKO Standard Slowbro, being the main option to hit that last, due to its resist to both Metagross-Mega STAB and Hammer Arm coverage.
  • Have a good speed tier, outspeeding Keldeo, Terrakion, both Charizard Mega X and Y, Landorus-Therian without Scarf, Pinsir-Mega, Medicham and speedtying with Lati@s, Gengar and Diancie-Mega.
  • With 9 resists (Dragon, Fairy, Flying, Grass, Ice, Normal, Psychic, Rock, Steel) and 1 immunity (Poison), have a good defensive typing and can switch in some offensive or defensive pokémon that only run its STAB (like Clefable, Lati@s, etc).
  • Have a good coverage, being able to use not only Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch and Zen Headbutt (STABs) but Ice Punch, Pursuit and Grass Knot.
  • Access to Pursuit trapping, with this Attack + Tough Claws, it can 2HKO many things that aren't even weak to it (like Mega Gardevoir) if trap.
Weaknesses
  • Its advantages are the most common types but Ghost - Ground coverage hits many pokémon, principally steel-types. Fire moves the same, and hit Skarmory / Ferrothorn. Dark type is common due to Pursuit / Sucker / Knock Off, all being awesome offensive moves with its exclusive effects.
  • Its Speed Tier doesn't allows it to outspeed some relevant things like Lopunny-Mega, Manectric-Mega, Raikou, Starmie, Talonflame, Thundurus, Tornadus-Therian, Weavile.
  • It needs its Speed and Attack to hit fast and hard, then both Burn and Paralyse can destroy it unless it have a Cleric Support with Heal Bell / Aromatherapy.
  • Have a little 4MSS due to its good coverage and many threats to hit.
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot / Ice Punch / Bullet Punch / Pursuit
STABs, Hammer Arm to hit Steel-types like Heatran and Bisharp. Grass Knot to hit bulky Water / Ground types like Hippowdon, Slowbro and Quagsire, and is affected by its ability Tough Claws. Ice Punch to hit bulky Ground types like Landorus-T, Garchomp and Gliscor, Bullet Punch allows it to get a priority STAB and Pursuit is useful to trap threats like Lati@s.

Building Around Metagross-Mega
Metagross Mega pairs quite well with Keldeo, principally being able to Pursuit common answers to Keldeo like Lati@s and Celebi, while Keldeo can usually OHKO Ground and Fire types and handle some Fire and Dark types (being a good check to Bisharp, Tyranitar, Heatran and Weavile). Other Water-type wallbreakers like Manaphy and Azumarill are also awesome partners.
Metagross Mega + any Fire type able to defeat Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Jirachi is also really apreciated, due to their ability to check Metagross-Mega.
Due to its access to Wish / Healing Wish, Clefable and Latias are good options, and Metagross can resist some weaknesses like Steel / Poison and Ice / Dragon respectively, while they can resist Dark and Fire / Ground respectively.
And finally, some other options, like Magnezone, able to trap Steel-types, Garchomp as a interessting entry hazard setter, many other Fighting types than Keldeo able to defeat Dark types like Bisharp and Scarf Tyranitar (like Mega Lopunny and Breloom) are very apreciated.

Metagross-Mega in the OU metagame
The metagame is really favorable to Mega-Metagross, its ability to defeat all the S Ranks in 1v1, outspeed many threats in the meta, resistence to Stealth Rock allowing it to switch many times without worry about it, immunity to Toxic, set to hit anything, being hard to switch in (principally if it runs Ice Punch / Grass Knot). Its good defense and special defense bases allows it to take many damage, but its lack of reliable recovery is really bad, even with Wish / Healing Wish support, and without a Heal Bell / Aromatherapy support, it is really destroyed if burned or paralysed. Otherwise, Mega Metagross can OHKO many A+ threats and, with full HP, avoid OHKO of they (like avoid OHKO from Bisharp Jolly's Sucker Punch and from Psychic type's Shadow Ball). It attack doesn't turn it into a setup fodder and destroy many Fighting types in the meta.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Pursuit

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Talonflame @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-372461794 (Laddering)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-372113601 (Laddering)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)