Other OU Type Analysis Project: Week 5 - Electric-type

Status
Not open for further replies.
APPROVED BY HAUNTER AND SUBJECT 18

Hey guys, this is OU's Type Analysis Project! The aim of this project is to discuss and evaluate information regarding metagame trends, categorised into 18 weeks for the corresponding 18 types. After 18 weeks are over, we'll look back at the previous week of the upcoming type and compare the Pokemon of that type in terms of how they play in the metagame, what new trends have arisen, and what new sets they're commonly seen running.

Things I'd like people to discuss (and I'd like to see at least one, preferably more of these ideas featured in each post) are:
  • What are the most popular Pokemon of this type seen in OU?
  • What other Pokemon of this type also claim some sort of viability in OU?
  • What Pokemon of this type fill a niche in OU which is sometimes worth considering in a team?
  • What sorts of Pokemon does this type collectively threaten?
  • What sorts of Pokemon threaten many of the members of this type?
  • What sorts of metagame trends have occurred to the many Pokemon in this type?
  • What Pokemon of this type are very potent offensive threats?
  • What Pokemon of this type are very sturdy defensive threats?
  • How do these Pokemon compare to each other in their respective roles?
  • How strong do you feel this type is as a whole?
Note that I prefer for emphasis to be put on comparisons, not only between Pokemon but also between the stages of a metagame in which a Pokemon was used. How is it used now? What changed?

Week 5's type is the Electric-type:

(Note that discussion isn't limited to the above Pokemon).

Things to to talk about:
  • Why is Thundurus is so popular in high-level play? Is it its versatility, the amazing utility of priority Thunder Wave, or its great power after Nasty Plot?
  • Timeline Rotom-W's popularity this generation.
  • Explain the interaction between Electric-types and "BirdSpam".
  • Compare Thundurus and Thundurus-T.

Last edited:
Obviously Electric types hold a massive advantage to birdspam, because of the flying resist. Rotom-W has been a roller coaster ride.

I will be fleshing this out later.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
In essence, what makes the type so good against "Birdspam" in OU is majority of the users are either faster and can check the attackers and force them out, or have the typing and to tank and retaliate back with their Electric Stab. Examples include Mega-Pinsir vs Rotom-W or Zapdos, whose excellent typing allows them to check the incoming Flying spam, while in the matchup Staraptor vs Thundurus or Raikou,, who are both faster and carry SE Stab to take them down, effectively forcing a switch most of the time.

If you couldn't tell by my name and avatar, I tend to like electric types in general. Not sure why, but I've used all of them listed in the OP a lot, as well as a few more like Magnezone, Rotom-H, Galvantula, and Eelektross.

One of the nice things I notice about ~half the electric types in OU, including the two most common, is that they have a ground immunity. That essentially makes Electric a free 2nd type, in that it carries no additional weaknesses but gives 3 resistances and another STAB.

That's part of why Thundurus, Zapdos, and Rotom are so good vs. Birdspam. They essentially got a free flying resist, while not getting any weaknesses through that electric type that the opponent can exploit via coverage moves. Of course Raikou and Mega Manectric are also great against bird spam, but that's because they can outspeed all three birds and OHKO them with Thunderbolt before they can use their own coverage, and they don't have to worry so much about the flying type priority because of their resistance. No fly spam team is sweeping past a Mega Manectric or a Thundurus because of this. Also Electric is the only flying resistant type to not be weak to fighting, so no need to worry about Staraptor or Pinsir Close Combat (you say Close Combat on Pinsir is unviable now, but what if it did hit electrics for super effective?)

Anyway, the big part of being an electric type is the speed control. Electrics have their own Thunder Wave to annoy the crap out of a lot of stuff and basically nothing can sweep while paralyzed, while being immune to paralysis themselves. Thunder Wave is a bit centralizing to the point that your sweeper/scarfer is a lot worse if it can be paralyzed by Thundurus' Thunder Wave, because then it can be checked very easily and it will never pull off a sweep. It's part of the reason why Garchomp is the most popular scarfer right now, and Excadrill is pretty common too. It's also why Jolteon fell out of OU this generation. You don't need Volt Absorb to take Thunder Waves, any other electric type can take them too now. Extra competition it didn't have before from Thundurus and Mega Manectric hurt it too, and Raikou's extra bulk is a lot more meaningful in XY.

Most electric types aren't particularly slow, except for Ampharos and Magnezone, but they can actually use that to their advantage with Volt Switch. Well, not to their own advantage, but to some frail teammate's advantage. For example, I find Mega Ampharos and Specs Magnezone (even Analytic) make good cores with Greninja. Those two electric types put in work not just giving Greninja free switch-ins, but they actually break down the switch-ins to put them in Greninja's KO range. Meanwhile, Ground types have a massive advantage vs. Electric types with immunity to their STABs, Thunder Wave and stop Volt Switch from switching out, but Greninja has the coverage to KO all of them, between Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, and Grass Knot. Or you can just hit the painfully obvious switch-ins with your electric's other STAB/coverage moves:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 321-378 (89.6 - 105.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 420-494 (117.3 - 137.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Trololol RIP Scarf Chomp, you made a good example out of yourself.

Anyway, outside of my teams, the most common Volt Switchers in OU are Rotom and Manectric. Both of them spam Volt Switch because they force switches. Rotom does it defensively, and by threatening Will-o-wisp, while Manectric does it offensively, being able to outspeed literally 99% of the meta and has nice coverage to with it (Intimidate helps too, but a -1 attack drop doesn't turn Mega Manectric into an unbreakable wall). If you put Mega Manectric in vs something weak to Volt Switch, it works a lot like Scarf Genesect, except Ground types can still block it. But the opponent is forced to give up the KO on whatever they have in, or give Manectric only a little damage but another free turn when it immediately counters your switch-in. So in general, Volt Switchers tend to do more damage than U-turners, but they can also have their switches blocked.

One other characteristic of OU electric types is they are all special attackers, except Defiant Thundurus. Not a lot of Electric types have good physical attack to begin with, basically just Eelektross, Zebstrika, Thundurus, Electivire, Luxray, and Zekrom, obviously some of these suck, one is banned, etc, and in the end Thundurus is the only one we see in OU. The other part is the lack of good electric moves. Outside of a few signature moves, the only strong physical electric attack is Wild Charge, which is only as much base power as Thunderbolt but has recoil. But some of the things that special attacking electrics cause:

Some ground types aren't very good counters, because every OU electric type can effectively use Hidden power Ice, and that means Garchomp, Landorus(t), and Gliscor are shaky counters to electric types. On top of that, every good Ground type has better physical defense than special, except Excadrill, so even just hitting them with a second STAB can be very effective (see the calcs above). The best Ground types for taking on Electric types are specially defensive Hippowdon and Gastrodon, who have great HP to back up their special defense, and aren't 4x weak to Ice.

The other effect is on Water types, who make great physical tanks, because Kyurem-B and Victini are the only physical attackers who have good electric attacks to use on Water types. It also makes Crocune and Manaphy good Calm Mind sweepers, with Calm Mind patching their electric weakness.

there is little to no reason to use Thundurus-T since Thundurus-I is way faster, has enough special attack to threaten most OU pokemon, better physical attack, 2 great abilities and already is pretty flexible in terms of sets it can run (hence being S Rank).
The only thing that T has over Thundurus besides better special attack is Volt Absorb. However, besides Electric types, there are barely any mons that are using Electric Attacks and most of them carry HP Ice anyways to check Grounds to which Thundurus-T already is weak to as well (I mean to Ice Type moves).
So why not use Thundurus-I and when you have huge electric weakness, why not use grass types like Mega-Venusaur or ground types like Excadrill or Hippy instead?

What's nice about Electric-types in this meta in particular is that they're generally anti-Offense, keeping Bird Spam in check and threatening sweepers/scarfmons with Thunder Wave. Part of the reason Thundurus is so popular is because of his priority T-Wave, which effectively neuters the opposition's sweepers and paves the way for a potential sweep on your part (so ironically, they tend to help out offense the same way they hurt it). It's ridiculously easy to spread. Granted, Ground-types like Excadrill, Gliscor, and Garchomp will stop your party but the former are threatened by HP Ice/Hydro Pump/Focus Miss/GK/whatever because most Elec mons get excellent complimentary coverage.

gotta mention the bolt beam coverage. Elec ice coverage hits almosts everything for at least nuetral coverage. Either you get a neutral thunderbolt or supereffective hp ice most of the time. Only pokes that I can think of to stop this are: Water/grounds. Mega Venu, Excadrill, Thick Fat Mamoswine and fellow elec types. This allows them to hit most of the meta very hard.

Also I managed to get to bout 1500 with a mono elec team once just because they are such a good type with only ground hitting them hard and a bunch having levitate or flying type.

Raikou is quickly gaining attention as a powerful anti-meta threat, in large part for its ability to check other Electric-types such as Thundurus. It handles two of the metagame's most threatening HO trends, genie spam & bird spam, outspeeding all the relevant threats & resisting the Flying priority. It wins 1v1 vs Thundurus and OHKOs Landorus, Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Staraptor. It also serves as an offensive check to Choice Specs Keldeo, one of the meta's most powerful wallbreakers atm, while not being weak to the obligatory Pursuit trap like the Latis.

As Zebstrika mentioned, Raikou has usable 90/75/100 bulk. It can capitalize on this by running an Assault Vest or going for Lefties + Calm Mind, either of which helps it against opposing Electric-types: both sets beat Mega Manectric, Rotom-W, Thundurus-I. Assault Vest + Volt Switch turns it into a fearsome pivot which doesn't suffer from Rocks the way the thunder genies do. Calm Mind + Extrasensory lets it set up on and beat Mega-Venusaur.

It struggles against Sand Offense (namely Sand Rush Excadrill + Ttar) so it pairs well with pokémon that can handle those threats, such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and even Breloom. Raikou in turns handles birdspam, Thundurus, & Mega Venusaur for them.

Last edited:
Rotom-W had a lot of popularity early during the transition from Gen 5, but dropped as Gen 6 became more prominent with the rise of the once uber Excadrill and a better selection of grass types like Trevenant and Mega Venusaur who resist both STABs. But now due to Talonflame and it's amazing offensive presence; being such a great counter I feel like it's back on the rise again. As NeonNinja96 mentioned before Rotom-W is really on a rollercoaster ride this generation compared to the last couple generations as it was a main staple to many teams. Mega-Manectric though many know is good, but also is a very under rated and over looked late game sweeper as of late. With great coverage with Flamethrower, Thunderbolt & Hidden Power Ice it does a great job at cleaning up late game. To get on Thundurus I believe it's the main factor that no matter what set you use it will still be effective in any match. Thunder Wave comes in handy against a more common tread of hyper offensive teams in this meta, but the nasty plot set comes in handy against games where the match is more slow paced and stall-esque type game. Pretty much no matter what set you bring Thundurus will always be a viable and consistent poke to lean on through this generation. Though the sand teams that still are around due give Thundurus and co some trouble. Excadrill with Sand Rush is actually very scary as T-Wave doesn't touch it, but in all I believe Thundurus is always going to be an effective poke on your team game in and out.

Thundurus-I and Thundurus-T are both potent, but they have different uses. Incarnate frequently abuses Prankster with Taunt and Thunder Wave, and is probably the best user of that ability. He also has good 115/125 offensive stats and a usable attacking movepool, not to mention Nasty Plot, so he can go physical, special, or even mixed with an offensive set, and he's not dead weight when using Prankster, either. Defiant is a great toy to play with, considering Defog and Intimidate, making his physical set even more threatening, although its coverage is inferior to that of the special set. Therian is probably best off running an offensive pivot set IMO, because he gets a speedy Volt Switch and has a monstrous 145 base special attack stat, with Volt Absorb giving him additional opportunities to switch in. His 105 base attack lets him surprise special walls with decently strong physical moves, such as Superpower to get around Chansey. His speed is a bit lower, but 101 is not too shabby, and with a scarf, he can outrun +1 base 100s like Charizard-X, a known Dragon Dance user, and every relevant unboosted mon (lol bye Deoxys-S), and ties with Landorus-I without it. Both forms suffer from lack of bulk and a SR weakness, but they are still quite powerful if used properly.

and why not XY sprites in the OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)