OU Pokemon Previews - Index, Rules, and Reservations

IIRC, Gourgeist-L and Gourgeist-A were rejected because Gourgeist's other formes can achieve the exact same stats by simply adjusting their EV spreads.
Yeah, that's true. I was trying to use Gourgeist-L's higher speed stat to outrun things that Gourgeist-H would need a lot more speed to beat and hopefully leave more room for defensive investment, but the difference in bulk was minimal (i.e. with the two EV'd to outrun minimum base 70s, Gourgeist-L was about 3% more physically bulky than Gourgeist-H but 6% less specially bulky, so it doesn't really seem worth it).

Any reason why Donphan wasn't included in the list? Not getting stealth rocks is a pretty significant limitation, although with the boost in Knock Off's power, a more offensive based set can be run to effectively nail ghost types on switch in.

Being the only spinner capable of running a knock off set effectively (Tentacruel's attack is far too low to be worth it), I think it could have a nice niche to be able to take down common spinblockers like Trevenant, Aegislash, Gengar and Banette on switch in, as well as crippling the 2 latter pokemon by removing their mega stones if they have not previously mega evolved.

On top of this, the addition of Assault Vest this generation allow Donphan to run a much more well-rounded defensive spread and can potentially be one of the most reliable spinners of the tier.

If it is included in the list of pokemon, I'm going to go ahead and reserve it if that's alright.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Any reason why Donphan wasn't included in the list? Not getting stealth rocks is a pretty significant limitation, although with the boost in Knock Off's power, a more offensive based set can be run to effectively nail ghost types on switch in.

Being the only spinner capable of running a knock off set effectively (Tentacruel's attack is far too low to be worth it), I think it could have a nice niche to be able to take down common spinblockers like Trevenant, Aegislash, Gengar and Banette on switch in, as well as crippling the 2 latter pokemon by removing their mega stones if they have not previously mega evolved.

On top of this, the addition of Assault Vest this generation allow Donphan to run a much more well-rounded defensive spread and can potentially be one of the most reliable spinners of the tier.

If it is included in the list of pokemon, I'm going to go ahead and reserve it if that's alright.
Honestly, I see little-to-no reason to use Donphan in a metagame where Excadrill is allowed. Sure, Donphan can play the "bulky spinner" role, except that it doesn't get recovery of any kind outside of Leftovers (made worse if you give it Assault Vest); has a terrible desire to invest fully in all three of HP, Attack, and Defense, which it obviously cannot do; and cannot beat any of the common spinblockers (obviously discounting Aegislash). Excadrill brings a lt more to the team, being a sweeper, amazing Mold Breaker spinner, and ESPECIALLY a Rotom-W lure because that thing checks so much in the meta right now. I just see very few reasons to use Donphan considering we have an amazing spinner in Excadrill, not to mention Defog.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Donphan is ok for a preview. It's mostly outclassed yeah, but it has some pros over Excadrill, such as great physical bulk, Ice Shard, and Sturdy. It can check Pokemon such as Mega Charizard X and Talonflame that Excadrill can't, so it has a reason to be used on teams that want help against those Pokemon.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Mienshao. I know the QC team rejected it, but we completely forgot about Knock Off, which lets it get past Aegislash, Trevenant, and Gourgeist, as well as cripple Azumarill, which would otherwise give it a hard time.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is PDC still working on Houndoom? He hasn't touched it in weeks, and if he isn't I'd be happy to take it over for him.

Subject 18 So many analyses so its pretty hard to keep track of but here is a list of updates.

To add to COMPLETED / Remove from currently worked on previews

Aggron - PK Gaming COMPLETED
Barbaracle - SOMALIA COMPLETED
Bisharp - Shroomisaur COMPLETED
Clawitzer - dragonuser COMPLETED
Diggersby - AccidentalGreed COMPLETED
Espeon - CryptoTF COMPLETED
Forretress - Gary2346 COMPLETED
Florges - Itachi COMPLETED
Garchomp - Plus COMPLETED
Goodra - Gary2346 COMPLETED
Kabutops - Itachi COMPLETED
Smeargle - dragonuser COMPLETED
Toxicroak - Itachi COMPLETED
Venusaur - Itachi COMPLETED
Wobbuffet - Labyrinthe COMPLETED

ATTENTION WRITERS:-

WHEN YOU SUGGEST A POKEMON TO BE ADDED TO THE LIST OF PREVIEWS, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT YOU EXPLAIN WHY IT SHOULD BE GIVEN A PREVIEW WHILE ALSO DOUBLE CHECKING THAT THE MOVES YOU INCLUDE ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE AND NOT POST-POKEBANK.

Is Honchkrow alright for preview?
Even though it wasn't included in the initial list, I think it deserves a preview as it can be a quite effective late game sweeper, especially on sticky web teams. The lack of Heat wave and Superpower hurts its coverage, but with Pursuit it can come in on pokemon like Mega Gengar and Alakazam to get a free moxie boost, and proceed to deal heavy damage with Life Orb boosted Brave Bird and Sucker Punch.

Even though it wasn't included in the initial list, I think it deserves a preview as it can be a quite effective late game sweeper, especially on sticky web teams. The lack of Heat wave and Superpower hurts its coverage, but with Pursuit it can come in on pokemon like Mega Gengar and Alakazam to get a free moxie boost, and proceed to deal heavy damage with Life Orb boosted Brave Bird and Sucker Punch.
Honchkrow is a frail Pokemon therefore it cannot switch-in on Mega Gengar. Even on Alakazam it has to be wary of switching into a Focus Blast or anything that's not called Psychic or Shadow Ball. Therefore the notation of it getting a free Moxie boost is false. i feel that this Pokemon is not worth having a preview simply because lack of Heat Wave and Superpower + it being frail and slow + getting a new weakness and being SR weak doesnt help its case.

Epikhairz

Anything goes
Are Nidoking/Nidoqueen gonna be up for grabs? The new Fairy-type gives them all the more reason to use their powerful Poison-type STABs, and as always they have great special attacking coverage in conjuction with boosted power and no LO recoil thanks to Sheer Force. Might be analysis worthy but I want to see what QC thinks of the matter

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I posted this one before, but I thought I'd post it again:

Scarf Magneton outspeeds things that Scarf Magnezone wishes it could. This includes Starmie, (fast) Talonflame, Weavile, Noivern, Greninja, Alakazam, Hawlucha, Mega Absol, and Mega Houndoom. This speed tier niche was enough to warrant an OU analysis in BW and I think it should again in XY.

Are Nidoking/Nidoqueen gonna be up for grabs? The new Fairy-type gives them all the more reason to use their powerful Poison-type STABs, and as always they have great special attacking coverage in conjuction with boosted power and no LO recoil thanks to Sheer Force. Might be analysis worthy but I want to see what QC thinks of the matter
Having checked the research threads for both, they can't learn Stealth Rock, which hurts Nidoqueen pretty much. This now leaves the question of a full on attacking set which obviously should be left for Nidoking and not Nidoqueen who is outclassed as an offensive player (I mean maybe a set with toxic Spikes and 3 moves or 2 moves and Roar). I think it is safe to say that Nidoqueen will get rejected due to the lack of SR so your best bet is to do a preview for Nidoking.

I posted this one before, but I thought I'd post it again:

Scarf Magneton outspeeds things that Scarf Magnezone wishes it could. This includes Starmie, (fast) Talonflame, Weavile, Noivern, Greninja, Alakazam, Hawlucha, Mega Absol, and Mega Houndoom. This speed tier niche was enough to warrant an OU analysis in BW and I think it should again in XY.
Yeah, go for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)