Gen 3 [OU] Offensive Vaporeon + Dugtrio

Hey everyone,
This is the first team I've made for myself and had relative success with (1514 elo) so I thought I would share!
It's based on this post from Cdijk16 where they talk about pairing an offensive Vaporeon with Dugtrio to trap common special walls to let your special threats go ham. The idea sounded fun so I thought I'd have a try at building around that.

The main strategy is to angle your opponent into playing their special walls into a Dugtrio trap (or exploding on it with Metagross if not) to allow Jolteon, Zapdos and to a lesser extent, Vaporeon to go wild.

:vaporeon: :dugtrio: :jolteon: :swampert: :metagross: :zapdos:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Baton Pass

Good against some common leads like T-tar or Salamence. Lots of people seem to underestimate how hard this can hit- or be taken by suprise by ice beam, so this becomes an extra threat later on in the game. For example, Ice beam does ~80% to an incoming Zapdos, and surf over 50% to Gengar, so you can get some decent damage in with this after the job of eliminating Blissey/Jirachi/Celebi is done. The main thing I'm aiming for is to get a sub-pass into dugtrio on their Blissey if possible.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide

This is the set I'm currently using for Dugtrio. I'm not fully decided between Adamant and Jolly- there have been games won by the extra attack into more bulky Blisseys, and games lost by getting outsped by some threats I would have been able to eliminate otherwise- like Gengar or Starmie. The main aim of this is to trap and kill Blissey behind a sub- and also deals with other common special walls like Jirachi and Celebi. I may experiment with a Jolly set that is EVed to survive Blissey Ice Beam next, as that may be the way to get the best of both worlds.

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

I'm using Jolteon because it outspeeds everything- can revenge kill DD T-Tar, spread paralysis to other Jolteons, and pass subs around. Once the opponent's speacial walls are dealt with, this can go crazy with Zapdos. I'm using HP-Ice to deal with Salamence, as I think Vaporeon, HP-Grass on Zapdos, and the occasional Metagross boom are enough answers to Swampert. I could see myself experimenting with/swapping around the hidden powers on Zapdos and Jolteon, but this arrangement has been working out alright so far.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 108 Def / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Brick Break

Offensive Swampert; Ice beam deals with Salamence and can get good chip on incoming Celebi. Using Hydro Pump for the extra damage, but I may swap to surf because I have lost more than one game to Aerodactyl where Surf would have killed and Hydro Pump missed. Brick Break is the question mark on this set. I had a choice of Protect, Brick Break and Focus Punch; I had run into a surprising amount of teams using screens recently so I chose Brick Break. It has been a solid minute since I've actually clicked it so I may swap that out soon.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 Def
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Explosionm

Standard Bulky Metagross. This is mostly a flex spot on the team, and I am using Metagross because of how good it is all round- especially switching in on things like banded Metagross, Aerodactyl, Snorlax etc. I often use this to explode on non-Blissey special walls I come across, especially Snorlax. I may experiment with a T-Tar/Banded Metagross/Salamence/Snorlax in future, but as of right now I have found the flexibility of this set to be really useful.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunder Wave
- Drill Peck

Another standard set that acts as one of the main damage dealers on the team paired with Jolteon. I'm using drill peck for Heracross and Breloom, as my other pokemon, barring Dugtrio, don't have a good answer to these. HP-Grass deals with Swampert if they stay in, and gets good damage on Claydol to try and bait it to explode on a Metagross switch in instead of Swampert.

Let me know if you have any feedback/ suggestions for the team, thanks for reading!

Last edited:

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Hello.

My main comment would be that for a Vaporeon team this lacks anything that really takes advantage of the free switchins and subs that Vaporeon provides either directly with Baton Pass or with SubPass. Nominally, this would be stuff like DDTar, CBMeta, Heracross, Breloom, Charizard, Focus Punch on Swampert (this gets walled by waters though), or even BLs like Slaking or Medicham. You could consider those.

If you're using Dugtrio and you have two special attackers (Zap+Jolt), there's a good chance you prefer bulky Beat Up Dugtrio to 2HKO Blissey for sure while surviving Ice Beam.

Drill Peck Zapdos tends to be better with Spikes. It's probably better to use Toxic so that you can force switches on checks, which would help you get Dugtrio/Swampert in for trapping/breaking.

If you end up including a setup sweeper, it could be really interesting to use Wish Jolteon - by Wishing on the turn Jolteon faints, there are some circumstances where you can get an additional turn to shrug off damage and set up.

Hope that helps.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Here are my suggestions for this team:
1. I think you want more speed on Vaporeon. I reccomend running 144 speed EVs to outspeed Milotic. This is the spread I use on my Vap team listed in the post you mentioned.
Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 112 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Baton Pass
2. I reccomend using this EV spread on Dugtrio to always survive Modest Blissey Ice Beam after Spikes. This makes you way better at trapping it consistently. The loss in attack and speed is unfortunate though.
Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 108 HP / 156 Atk / 148 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Beat Up
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace
3. I reccomend making the Metagross Choice Band. It's way better at abusing Substitute + Baton Pass. This is the EV spread I reccomend.
Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Explosion
4. Consider Swampert for Suicune. Suicune puts offensive pressure on Snorlax and defensive Celebi, which Jolteon and Zapdos appreciate.
5. I'd swap Twave for Wish or Roar on Jolteon and replace HP Ice with HP Grass.
Jolteon @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Wish
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Baton Pass
6. I'd replace Twave and Drill Peck with Substitute and Baton Pass and make the Zapdos modest nature.
New paste: Vap Jolt SO (Wish) (pokepast.es)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)