Lower Tiers ORAS RU Role Compendium V2

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Approved by atomicllamas
OP adapted from Aerow
Taken over from boltsandbombers

ORAS RU Role Compendium

The idea of this thread is to provide a visual list of what Pokémon does what in the ORAS RU metagame. This will help new and experienced players alike in finding Pokémon that fit their teams when looking for specific roles, as well as help players build more diverse teams by not always using the same Pokémon to fill the same role.

Below, we have the various roles an ORAS RU team might want a Pokémon to fill. For each of these roles is a list of Pokémon which can fulfill that role; all of the Pokémon listed can work at least somewhat viably as a performer of the role, but they have been ranked very roughly by how viable it would be to use a Pokémon for said role in the current metagame. If there is a Pokémon which is not listed which can perform well in a certain role, please feel free to post about it, and we may add it. However, this thread is not meant to be a place for discussion about the viability of Pokémon in general, unless a Pokémon's placement is drastically off - we have a Metagame Discussion Thread and Viability Rankings for that.

Mega Pokemon:

Stealth Rock users:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Spikes users:

Toxic Spikes users:

Hazard Control:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Fire-type Checks:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Water-type checks:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Psychic-type Checks:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Fighting-type Checks:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Dark type Checks (Knock off Switch-ins):

Offensive:

Defensive:

Flying Resists:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Wallbreakers:

Stallbreakers / Taunt Users:

Pivots:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Revenge Killers:

Choice scarf users:

Cleaners (Naturally fast mons, speed boost, gale wings):

Trappers:

Priority:

Phazers (Roar / Dragon Tail / Whirlwind / Circle Throw):

Haze / Clear Smog Users:

Clerics:

Wish:

Heal bell/Aromatherapy:

Healing Wish:

Weather Setters:

Rain:

Sun:

Hail:

Weather Abusers:

Rain:

Sun:

Hail:

Sand is bad :pirate:

Status Absorbers (Thunder wave / Toxic / Will-o-wisp):

(refresh)
(refresh)

Scald switch-ins:

Boosting Sweepers:

Swords Dance:

Bulk Up:

Nasty Plot:

Calm Mind:

Shell Smash:

Rock Polish:

Quiver Dance:

Baton Pass:

Other:
(Contrary)
(Shift Gear)
(Growth)
(Belly Drum)
(Dragon Dance)
(Curse)
(Curse)

Broken:

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And now I will proceed to update the layout of this thread and stuff, to make it look more organized.

Meanwhile you can recommend certain mon to fit under either section, if they fulfill the criteria of course (ranked, etc). Any mon missing or an error of sorts just say so.

Last edited:
Smeargle should be added to Stealth Rock setters and Spikes setters. Due to its function, I'd infer that Smeargle should be listed in the Offensive section.

I mentioned this in the last thread but Cofagrigus should probably be added under Toxic Spikes users and Fighting-type Checks (probably under Offensive and Defensive Checks due to the prevalence of the Offensive Trick Room set). Musharna should also be added to defensive Fighting-type checks.

MrAldo

Hey
Smeargle should be added to Stealth Rock setters and Spikes setters. Due to its function, I'd infer that Smeargle should be listed in the Offensive section.
I mentioned this in the last thread but Cofagrigus should probably be added under Toxic Spikes users and Fighting-type Checks (probably under Offensive and Defensive Checks due to the prevalence of the Offensive Trick Room set). Musharna should also be added to defensive Fighting-type checks.
Implemented these 2. A bit iffy on cofagrigus under offensive checks but OTR is a thing so Ill leave it there for the time being. Keep them coming!

Reactions: rau

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
There's actually a lot I'd like to add to this.

Hazers / phazers (in no particular order):
Mega Steelix, Granbull, Drapion, Golbat, Weezing, Xatu, Amoonguss, Cofagrigus, Mantine, Garbodor, Druddigon, Rhyperior, Torterra, Gastrodon, Poliwrath

Ferroseed should be added to defensive Stealth Rock and Spikes users. You could possibly add Mantine and maybe Pelipper to Fire checks. Granbull could be added to offensive Fighting checks, and Jellicent could be added to defensive. Togetic could be added to Pivots, but that's kind of shaky. Poliwrath and Hitmontop could be added to Priority. Roselia should go in Heal Bell / Aromatherapy.

I feel like we'd also benefit from categories for physical, special, and mixed walls especially, and possibly Knock Off absorbers, Knock Off users, status absorbers, and Scald absorbers.

MrAldo

Hey

Hazers / phazers (in no particular order):
Mega Steelix, Granbull, Drapion, Golbat, Weezing, Xatu, Amoonguss, Cofagrigus, Mantine, Garbodor, Druddigon, Rhyperior, Torterra, Gastrodon, Poliwrath

Ferroseed should be added to defensive Stealth Rock and Spikes users. You could possibly add Mantine and maybe Pelipper to Fire checks. Granbull could be added to offensive Fighting checks, and Jellicent could be added to defensive. Togetic could be added to Pivots, but that's kind of shaky. Poliwrath and Hitmontop could be added to Priority. Roselia should go in Heal Bell / Aromatherapy.

I feel like we'd also benefit from categories for physical, special, and mixed walls especially, and possibly Knock Off absorbers, Knock Off users, status absorbers, and Scald absorbers.
Iffy on adding a phazer/hazer section together. May consider adding the phazer section with only phazers but gonna consider that in the long run.

Agree on most of the second paragraph besides Roselia and Jellicent. Not sure if Roselia has room to run aromatherapy on its main set to be considered and Jellicent is kind of a shaky fighting type check itself.

Wall is a rather generic term and too broad to dedicate a section to it, tbh just by seeing the respective check section, it should give you an idea on what checks what defensively speaking, not too sold on this one (and our special walls are rather lackluster :V) Knock off absorbers and status absorbers is something to consider, yes.

Thanks for the input :D

A hazer/phazer section is kinda pointless
Swanna to offensive fighting type checks please n_n
Eh, sure n_n

MrAldo

Hey
Double post but

Ferroseed should be added to defensive Stealth Rock and Spikes users. You could possibly add Mantine and maybe Pelipper to Fire checks. Granbull could be added to offensive Fighting checks. Togetic could be added to Pivots, but that's kind of shaky. Poliwrath and Hitmontop could be added to Priority.
Implemented this, and added mantine to defensice hazard removal for good measure, and because that its niche. Will work on the rest later on.

Swanna to offensive fighting type checks please n_n
Implemented.

I would suggest adding a section for Pokemon that can check Tyrantrum. Tyrantrum's unique coverage and power make him very hard to wall in this meta, so I think newer players would definitely benefit from seeing a visual list of what can switch into and / or revenge kill Tyrantrum. Some suggestions for this (if it gets added) would be Hitmonlee, Virizion, Flygon, Rhyperior, and Gurdurr under Offensive checks, and Alomomola, Gastrodon, Registeel, Bronzong, Rhyperior, Gurdurr, Hitmontop, Poliwrath, and Mega Audino under Defensive checks.

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
I agree about what you were saying about walls. I got that from looking at other tier's role compendiums, though there are a lot of people that ask on showdown for "a good wall." It might be worth it to list what we have and put a brief explanation beside the category. Just a thought.

Roselia generally doesn't have room for Aromatherapy, but the OP didn't mention it had to main this role. As a cleric that's immune to powder moves and being poisoned, not to mention Natural Cure and recovery, I feel it's deserving of a spot and adds to the diversity that this thread is trying to promote. I could see Vileplume working in this role as well, but since I've not actually used it in RU, I won't suggest that at this time.

Jelli's fine to leave off, though I don't see how it's so much worse in this role than some of the other Ghost types listed. Fighting type checks as a category can be pretty shaky anyway given the sheer diversity of fighting types we have.

As for the hazer and / or phazer bit, I'd understand if you just want to do phazing since that's more applicable to more playstyles, but hazers / clear smog users and phazers are all pretty valuable for building stall teams. I know I've often wished this information were included in the role compendium, but that could just be me.

Forgot to mention, but Smeargle could also work as a boosting sweeper under Baton Pass too.

I've also been wondering if a mention of weather could be appropriate with this sort of structure:

Weather Setters:

Rain Dance:

Sunny Day:

Weather Abusers:

Rain Dance:

Sunny Day:

I know weather isn't the most used playstyle, but it's still pretty effective if used correctly. Would add more if feedback is given.

MrAldo

Hey
Jelli's fine to leave off, though I don't see how it's so much worse in this role than some of the other Ghost types listed. Fighting type checks as a category can be pretty shaky anyway given the sheer diversity of fighting types we have.

As for the hazer and / or phazer bit, I'd understand if you just want to do phazing since that's more applicable to more playstyles, but hazers / clear smog users and phazers are all pretty valuable for building stall teams. I know I've often wished this information were included in the role compendium, but that could just be me.
The ghosts in there are far sturdier to check most common fighting types, jellicent even physically defensive invested cant check hitmonlee or medicham or gallade really well :/

Implemented the phazer and haze users section since I feel the compendium could use more options for defensive builds in detail. n_n
Might wanna add poliwrath to fire type checks
Implemented
Forgot to mention, but Smeargle could also work as a boosting sweeper under Baton Pass too.

I've also been wondering if a mention of weather could be appropriate with this sort of structure:

Weather Setters:

Rain Dance:

Sunny Day:

Weather Abusers:

Rain Dance:

Sunny Day:

I know weather isn't the most used playstyle, but it's still pretty effective if used correctly. Would add more if feedback is given.
Implemented. Added hail and sand for good measure n_n
I would suggest adding a section for Pokemon that can check Tyrantrum. Tyrantrum's unique coverage and power make him very hard to wall in this meta, so I think newer players would definitely benefit from seeing a visual list of what can switch into and / or revenge kill Tyrantrum. Some suggestions for this (if it gets added) would be Hitmonlee, Virizion, Flygon, Rhyperior, and Gurdurr under Offensive checks, and Alomomola, Gastrodon, Registeel, Bronzong, Rhyperior, Gurdurr, Hitmontop, Poliwrath, and Mega Audino under Defensive checks.
Not a fan of this type of section on the compendium, thats what victim of the week thread is for. And having a section dedicated to that implies a broken mon of sorts, sorry, not feeling this :/

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :D

I have some suggestions for the weather abusers:

Rain: Rotom-C, Jolteon, Beartic, Articuno, Escavalier, possibily Mantine

Sun: Delphox, Houndoom, Emboar

Hail: Jynx, maybe Glaceon too?

These are mostly just from the top of my head, might think of some more later though.

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
I have some suggestions for the weather abusers:

Rain: Rotom-C, Jolteon, Beartic, Articuno, Escavalier, possibily Mantine

Sun: Delphox, Houndoom, Emboar

Hail: Jynx, maybe Glaceon too?

These are mostly just from the top of my head, might think of some more later though.
I see weather abusers as mon that can use said weather to their benefit at full, not good weather assets to a team like rotom-mow or fletchinder. Just having hurricane and thunder under 100% accuracy I feel is just not enough to be considered an "abuser" compared to the others. Guess the sun one and jynx makes sense so implemented, added mega camel under sun for good measure n_n

Togetic and Garbodor to Fighting checks please.
Implemented n_n

Thank s, as said, any recommendations are welcome.

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Medicham to offensive pivots
Might be a bit of a strech but something i feel like i need to include on every team is a water type check(bulky waters, mainly) so maybe add a section like that?

i think something that might be a bit more precise and broad in its application might fall under a category of "scald absorbers", since i think this a pretty just segment, given scald is the worst thing ever and should be considered for nearly any team. this might include some more aggressive ones, such as tangrowth / sigilyph / rotom-c (loose check), to lighter stuff like [rest-talk] malamar, [rest-talk / refresh] 'wrath, refresh momo, etc.

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah, that's more or less what i meant. You always want to have a mon that can come in and scare out/take advantage of bulky waters, who hasn't made a team that's 6-0ed by jellicent in the past hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)