Project ORAS OU Core Building Competition V2 (Round 30: Stalkers) Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
oh no i forgot to end voting SORRY Martin. ; v ;

winner is HailFall and their core here...

Week 25: Dragon / Fairy / Steel core

Building Condition:
Your core must consist of a Dragon-type, a Fairy-type, and a Steel-type.

Dragon-types: Charizard-Mega-X, Dragonite, Garchomp, Kyurem-Black, Latias, Latios

Fairy-types: Azumarill, Clefable, Diancie-Mega, Gardevoir-Mega, Klefki

Steel-types: Bisharp, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Heatran, Jirachi, Klefki, Magnezone, Metagross-Mega, Scizor, Skarmory

you don't have to use just these pokemon though -- go wild~

----

as you can see, we're running out of ideas, so if you have any thoughts for next week's theme, PLEASE do pm martin. or myself

uhh the whole schedule is messed up now due to starting v. late, instead of monday, the deadline will be tuesday and then voting will end thursday ...

Last edited:
You know I could do Diancie, Magnezone, and Garchomp. Or I could do Azu, Latios, and Metagross. But that will be boring and just repeating what everyone has said in the past about how great these core are. However it is time for some fun.

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Bronzong @ Normal Gem
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion

Diancie @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Psychic

If you can't figure it out by now this is a trick room offense core. The concept is "hit hard or go home." We all know the ampharos. Thunderbolt for the main stab, volt for a pivot, dragon pulse for dragon stab, and focus blast for the steels, excadrill, and t-tar. "Kind of" suicide lead bronzong. To my surprise bronzong walls alot of things in the meta today devensive lando (because if you run knock off on your devensive lando well good luck with talonflame), sand drill, the twins, mega diance, mega metagross to a certain extent and etc. Allowing it to set up rocks and trick room. You can run different sets like leftovers earthquake to deal with gross and drill. but normal gem explosion helps me to bring in any mon safely for huge damage. Finally, the ru set of diancie. I never knew non mega diancie hits so hard until recently. Moonblast for stab, earth power for steels, and psychic for gengar and venusaur out of trick room you live a hit from both and kill or almost kill mega venusaur. if you do not have a mega scizor, bp gross or ferrothorn I guarantee you diancie will be sweeping teams. and if you say you are walled by talon with diancie then you don't know how mega ampharos works and hey what do I know. Baby girl diancie might be small but she is fat.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I apologise if this is in Good Cores already. I don't have access to a PC where I'm staying in Queensland and as such I can't just do ctrl+F to look down all Klefki cores and it is a pain scanning over such a long list of cores. It's not Magnet Rise though (srs that set is dong 90% of the time and should die in a hole) so hopefully it should suffice if it is in there.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave / Heal Block
- Toxic
- Flash Cannon

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake / Roost

Not the most original core ever concieved, but it's functional at what it does and is p. easy to run on more offensive builds. Mega Charizard X is at its most threatening with Spikes support, and Klefki is a p. consistent spiker in general. With Thunder Wave and Toxic it is able to give a number of Pokémon which give Zard migraines a headache, most notably including Landorus-T and to a lesser extent Hippowdon. In addition, it's steel typing combined with it's p. decent special bulk allows it to consistently take on Mega Diancie, reducing Charizard's reliance on a boost to be able to do anything and allowing it to function p. consistently in matchups where it's going to have a hard time cleaning, and Flash Cannon further complements this by allowing it to OHKO Mega Diancie consistently (0 SpA Klefki Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 300-352 (124.4 - 146%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and circumvents it's Magic Bounce nicely. All in all these two are v. nice partners in general.

Good partners to this core include Starmie, defogless Lati@s (Defog Lati@s is p. overrated at least imo even before you consider the fact it clears Klef's Spikes), Lando-T and a number of others, but yeah the types of builds you can fit this core on are pretty versatile on the whole so go nuts.

Edit:
for this core in particular, heal block over toxic / twave (choose the lesser of two evils) can also be very viable. i'd suggest slashing heal block over twave cause heal block + toxic acts as a pseudo taunt against bulkier mons.
^This

Last edited:

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I apologise if this is in Good Cores already. I don't have access to a PC where I'm staying in Queensland and as such I can't just do ctrl+F to look down all Klefki cores and it is a pain scanning over such a long list of cores. It's not Magnet Rise though (srs that set is dong 90% of the time and should die in a hole) so hopefully it should suffice if it is in there.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Flash Cannon

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake / Roost

Not the most original core ever concieved, but it's functional at what it does and is p. easy to run on more offensive builds. Mega Charizard X is at its most threatening with Spikes support, and Klefki is a p. consistent spiker in general. With Thunder Wave and Toxic it is able to give a number of Pokémon which give Zard migraines a headache, most notably including Landorus-T and to a lesser extent Hippowdon. In addition, it's steel typing combined with it's p. decent special bulk allows it to consistently take on Mega Diancie, reducing Charizard's reliance on a boost to be able to do anything and allowing it to function p. consistently in matchups where it's going to have a hard time cleaning, and Flash Cannon further complements this by allowing it to OHKO Mega Diancie consistently (0 SpA Klefki Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 300-352 (124.4 - 146%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and circumvents it's Magic Bounce nicely. All in all these two are v. nice partners in general.

Good partners to this core include Starmie, defogless Lati@s (Defog Lati@s is p. overrated at least imo even before you consider the fact it clears Klef's Spikes), Lando-T and a number of others, but yeah the types of builds you can fit this core on are pretty versatile on the whole so go nuts.
for this core in particular, heal block over toxic / twave (choose the lesser of two evils) can also be very viable. i'd suggest slashing heal block over twave cause heal block + toxic acts as a pseudo taunt against bulkier mons.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
TBH there is a lot that you can do with Klefki's moveset on lots of teams. For example, one I've used in the past alongside setup sweepers is Fairy Lock and it's p. good, but given that the stuff Zard sets up on consistently (grasses namely) isn't taking on Klefki any time soon it isn't worth it on this one in particular. I'll make a point of mentioning Heal Block tho as it's a rlly cool option on this core.

Reactions: zbr
+
+

-> Dragonite is a power sweeper, and after a Dragon Dance can be a real thread
-> Skarmory provides defog to Dragonite, which is crucial to leave his multiscale intact. Skarmory also walls many fairy types like Clefable (without Flamethrower), Azumarill, M-Diancie without HP Fire, etc.
-> Clefabe provides cleric support at the same time possesses Unaware, which is necessary in this core to survive against Belly Drum Azumarill and other powerful boosting moves users.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Earthquake Latios, Choice Specs Magnezone, and Bulky Dragon Dance Mega Altaria
The point of this core is to eliminate anything on the opponent's team that prevents a Mega Altaria sweep. Magnezone's role is fairly obvious, picking off things like Scizor and Ferrothorn which if healthy hard counter this Altaria set. It also pressures Unaware Clefable which gives Altaria trouble. Latios removes Stealth Rocks, which trouble Altaria before it evolves, and Spikes, which trouble it afterwards. Latios also lures Heatran (and the occasional Excadrill) with Earthquake, and by firing off Draco Meteors, it can weaken Steels that check Altaria in case Magnezone is knocked out or otherwise unable to trap them.

In my experience this bulky Altaria set is the best one right now. It works especially well in conjunction with Latios and Magnezone because they fare reasonably well against less bulky/more offensive team archetypes that don't love switching into them but struggle to do much against things like stall; Altaria, though, loves stall and sets up easily once the Steel type is weakened or removed. Altaria also does well against offensive builds provided its teammates lay the proper groundwork in removing checks and counters. Refresh is very often a surprise to opponents who think they can handle Altaria by burning or paralyzing it. I always run Refresh over Heal Bell because it has more PP which makes it easier to set up against status abusers like Rotom-W and Chansey without having to worry about being economical with your healing, but Heal Bell is an option if the team support is more attractive to you.

The biggest weakness the core has in my experience is Mega Diancie, which hits Latios and Altaria hard with Moonblast and usually has Earth Power or HP Fire for Magnezone. That said, so long as you run a sufficient Diancie counter along with this core (Amoongus has worked fairly well for me in the past) and other appropriate team support, this core performs rather well in OU currently.

tl;dr - classic DragMag specifically catered to removing Altaria's counters and allowing it to set up in the face of things that can't touch it.

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 92 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Refresh
- Return

Last edited:

Martin

Closing this week here. Kinda low activity which is kinda disappointing considering that DFS is such a common core type, but oh well.

Sobi has decided to step down after deciding to quit most of his on-site activity to focus on C&C; thank you so much for helping host this project despite how short a period it was for and I wish you only the best in your future endeavors. Also, as I'm pretty sure most people are aware, -Magic- has quit this site for personal reasons; as such it is just me in charge of however much is left of this thread now.

Anyway, onto voting. Sorry about the weird timing; Queensland has thrown everything off for me so timings are defo gonna be weird for the next few weeks. I'll try and get back to the Monday+Wednesday schedule for next week (although it'll be based on AEST rather than BST).
You know I could do Diancie, Magnezone, and Garchomp. Or I could do Azu, Latios, and Metagross. But that will be boring and just repeating what everyone has said in the past about how great these core are. However it is time for some fun.

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Bronzong @ Normal Gem
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion

Diancie @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Psychic

If you can't figure it out by now this is a trick room offense core. The concept is "hit hard or go home." We all know the ampharos. Thunderbolt for the main stab, volt for a pivot, dragon pulse for dragon stab, and focus blast for the steels, excadrill, and t-tar. "Kind of" suicide lead bronzong. To my surprise bronzong walls alot of things in the meta today devensive lando (because if you run knock off on your devensive lando well good luck with talonflame), sand drill, the twins, mega diance, mega metagross to a certain extent and etc. Allowing it to set up rocks and trick room. You can run different sets like leftovers earthquake to deal with gross and drill. but normal gem explosion helps me to bring in any mon safely for huge damage. Finally, the ru set of diancie. I never knew non mega diancie hits so hard until recently. Moonblast for stab, earth power for steels, and psychic for gengar and venusaur out of trick room you live a hit from both and kill or almost kill mega venusaur. if you do not have a mega scizor, bp gross or ferrothorn I guarantee you diancie will be sweeping teams. and if you say you are walled by talon with diancie then you don't know how mega ampharos works and hey what do I know. Baby girl diancie might be small but she is fat.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave / Heal Block
- Toxic
- Flash Cannon

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake / Roost

Edit:
^This
+
+

-> Dragonite is a power sweeper, and after a Dragon Dance can be a real thread
-> Skarmory provides defog to Dragonite, which is crucial to leave his multiscale intact. Skarmory also walls many fairy types like Clefable (without Flamethrower), Azumarill, M-Diancie without HP Fire, etc.
-> Clefabe provides cleric support at the same time possesses Unaware, which is necessary in this core to survive against Belly Drum Azumarill and other powerful boosting moves users.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Earthquake Latios, Choice Specs Magnezone, and Bulky Dragon Dance Mega Altaria
The point of this core is to eliminate anything on the opponent's team that prevents a Mega Altaria sweep. Magnezone's role is fairly obvious, picking off things like Scizor and Ferrothorn which if healthy hard counter this Altaria set. It also pressures Unaware Clefable which gives Altaria trouble. Latios removes Stealth Rocks, which trouble Altaria before it evolves, and Spikes, which trouble it afterwards. Latios also lures Heatran (and the occasional Excadrill) with Earthquake, and by firing off Draco Meteors, it can weaken Steels that check Altaria in case Magnezone is knocked out or otherwise unable to trap them.

In my experience this bulky Altaria set is the best one right now. It works especially well in conjunction with Latios and Magnezone because they fare reasonably well against less bulky/more offensive team archetypes that don't love switching into them but struggle to do much against things like stall; Altaria, though, loves stall and sets up easily once the Steel type is weakened or removed. Altaria also does well against offensive builds provided its teammates lay the proper groundwork in removing checks and counters. Refresh is very often a surprise to opponents who think they can handle Altaria by burning or paralyzing it. I always run Refresh over Heal Bell because it has more PP which makes it easier to set up against status abusers like Rotom-W and Chansey without having to worry about being economical with your healing, but Heal Bell is an option if the team support is more attractive to you.

The biggest weakness the core has in my experience is Mega Diancie, which hits Latios and Altaria hard with Moonblast and usually has Earth Power or HP Fire for Magnezone. That said, so long as you run a sufficient Diancie counter along with this core (Amoongus has worked fairly well for me in the past) and other appropriate team support, this core performs rather well in OU currently.

tl;dr - classic DragMag specifically catered to removing Altaria's counters and allowing it to set up in the face of things that can't touch it.

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 92 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Refresh
- Return
Kinda disappointed at the lack of SubFly Dragonite cores but w/e. Considering how horrendously low participation was this week you can vote for up to 1 core. Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:

Martin

I've just noticed Lava Plume lol. I'm gonna assume that was meant to be Thunderbolt and am changing that lol. bywater make sure to edit that in ur post lol

I've just noticed Lava Plume lol. I'm gonna assume that was meant to be Thunderbolt and am changing that lol. bywater make sure to edit that in ur post lol
Nah Lava Plume Magnezone is the future. It's innovation.

jk I actually accidentally copied Heatran from an importable instead of Magnezone and didn't feel like going back and copying the right mon so I manually changed it and evidently missed a move haha

In terms of voting: komet3 because it looks fun and Bronzong makes me nostalgic for DPP

Martin

Closing voting here. I win.

Round 27: Speedsters
Building Condition: At least 1 Pokémon must have a base speed stat of ≥115

Speed is argubly the most important stat in the game, and a fast 'mon can easily tear offense apart. Lets see what you can come up with, and yeah there is a lot you can do with this. Best of luck!

Edit: Copy/Paste isn't working on my ipad fsr so I'll update the archive later

Last edited:
Reserved Mega Loppuny + Talonflame

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

I love using Loppuny, It's a Pokemon that is handy in many situations and works well in various teams. When building a team around it, Talonflame is one of the first Pokemon that comes in mind. He is capable of crippling several threats to Loppuny thanks to Will-O-Wisp and Taunt, Including physical walls and sweepers that can prevent Loppuny break the opponent's team effectively, As well giving Loppuny a good switch and killer to Fighting-types that can be really annoying to deal.

Last edited:

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
reserved weavile + sneasel.
should've done this for dual type cores and teams but hey better late then never.
Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick / Swords Dance

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab / Low Kick / Ice Shard
to those who know me a while ago, i discussed a team with fellow innovators yuruuu and Martin that utilised dual dark spam in the form of these two offensive threats. in this instance, dual ice is the more preferred combination since it's noted that the metagame is rly leaning heavily towards either burd HO (which does not appreciate the ice spam) or bulky offense / stall (which does not appreciate the dark spam). compile that fact with the fact that both these threats are capable of hitting above 350 which is cool since it helps deal with a lot of offensive threats. when i used this core, i went with dual priority since it's an absolute asset to have when dealing with offensive teams and when you have things like keld / azu / sciz coverd (by mega mane), these two beasts can easily burn a house down with the offensive capabilities.

e - here is the post to the team as well as the core displayed. steal the team and have some fun on the ladder xd http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...a-latias-togekiss.3548038/page-7#post-6467771

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)