Ladder ORAS Monotype Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
(and to think mega gallade was banned once lol)
lol is right

Yeah, with a great Psychic defensive core in Mew + Slowbro, wallbreakers are natural partners for them. Enter Mega-Medicham which can just about annihilate every defensive wall sans a precise Sableye (WoW). If not enough, it has Hoopa-U to work with to break past other walls, and then have 2 more Pokemon to round the team out. With that, people can have a nice, balanced team. I don't know how many months ago, but I got fed up with it. Just didn't wanna deal with it anymore, so I slapped on insta-win Mega-Sharpedo on my Water teams, specifically my SS teams since it fit the hyper offensive nature of the team more than Mega-Gyarados. Haven't looked back since. Hoping to spread more usage.

Charybdis (Sharpedo-Mega) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Ice Fang

The set is kind of self explanatory. Spam Crunch. Every standard Pokemon on Psychic basically dies except Slowbro, which has a 37.5% chance (if max hp + def) of being OHKO'd after SR. Slowbro is not really a threat anyway if its attacking moves are Scald, Flamethrower, and Psyshock. Substitue also allows it to get past TWave. In that same line, Sub + Protect lets you nab a +2 speed boost in a myriad of scenarios vs Psychic for a better chance at sweeping. Ice Fang is on the last slot to give you some sort of coverage and abuse Strong Jaws at the same time. This is specialized for Psychic. Don't expect much against other types.

• Slowbro with Grass Knot - this can deal damage upwards of 75% and might kill you in tandem with Rocky Helmet. Worse if you switched into SR.
  • Random Colburs - Slowbro is the worst abuser, but it can sometimes be on Mew and Latias. The former isn't a problem unless it's running Aura Sphere/Thunderbolt because Sub/Protect lets you scout out the WoW. Latias can be taken down with Ice Fang after SR assuming Latias has 0 EVs in HP and Defense.
  • Crazy spreads & sets - These are probably the least prominent threat, but it's something to watch out for. Only experience or some crazy sixth sense is gonna allow you to get around this.

• Strong Jaws is a 1.5x boost and its crazy powerful with Crunch. If you're unfamiliar with Sharpedo-Mega, make use of the damage calc because the damage output is ridiculous.
  • 252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 342-403 (94.7 - 111.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 301-355 (42.7 - 50.4%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • -1 252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Staraptor: 153-180 (40.9 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

tired of the standard Psychic teams

Last edited:
roar skarm on 176o flyinng hit 6.7% its nice to see some sick innovation and a departing from the norm ;^)

but its really cool to see band lando t right after scarf at 12.5, its a pretty underrated set imo that provides a nice strong ground stab + stone edge + strong pivot + fighting or dark coverage. it also lets you fake a scarf since pretty much all lando are scarf and suprise the opp with a different scarf. heres the set ive been using for a while now

ground tit (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Superpower / Knock Off

evs and moveset are pretty simple, maximize attack and outspeed positive 80s like hoopa u. the rest was thrown into hp for bulk, but if you want you can run adamant 252 atk 252 spe if you dont need to creep things like hoopa. the moveset is pretty much the same as scarf, superpower with koff support from gliscor or tornadus deals with normal which can be a pain or running koff itself can get rid of things like colbur berries for mega dos.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Recently, Choice Specs Hoopa-U has become very popular especially after the suspect test on both Dark and Psychic teams.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball
On Dark
Choice Specs Hoopa-U was never seen on dark until recently Dream Eater Gengar made an RMT Showcasing it. Choice Specs Hoopa-U on Dark revolves around using U-Turner such as Choice Scarf Hydregion and defensive Mandibuzz to give Hoopa-U switch in opportunities. Choice Specs Hoopa-U gives Dark an enormous edge against bulkier builds such as Normal, Water, and Flying teams that rely on defensive backbone to effectively check Pokemon on Dark such as Mega Sharpedo and Bisharp. Although Choice Specs Hoopa-U is great on Dark teams it comes at the cost of using Choice Scarf Hoopa-U which gives Dark the ability to check fighting types namely Keldeo and Infernape. Choice Specs is still viable in the current metagame as Substitute Calm Mind Keldeo's usage has dropped significantly because of Mega Sableye being banned. Choice Specs Hoopa-U's dominance can also be traced to the lack of Dark resists in Monotype meaning that Hoopa-U can freely spam Dark Pulse in the majority of its matchups with no worries. Psyshock on Dark is used for Chansey 2 Hit KOing it this is useful because Dark without Choice Specs Hoopa-U needs to Knock Off Chansey's Eviolite to properly deal with it. Focus Blast is added coverage for certain scenarios such as Porygon-2 or slightly weakened Heatran. The last move is for additional coverage, Energy Ball is used for ground types such as Gastrodon and Swampert, while Thunderbolt is used for Flying types such as Gyarados and Mandibuzz. Choice Specs Hoopa-U is one of late metagame trends happening in late ORAS on the more offensively based Dark teams.

On Psychic
Choice Specs Hoopa-U has often been considered outclassed by the Substitute 3 attacks set with Leftovers or Life Orb because of the ability to force 50 50's on Pokemon such as Bisharp and Adamant Mega Sharpedo. However, Choice Hoopa-U has become popular on Psychic teams as Mega Medicham has increased in usage. The purpose of using Choice Specs Hoopa-U is to mainly eliminate bulky Psychic types that Mega Medicham struggles against. Although Mega Medicham is walled by bulky Psychic even the bulkiest of special walls fail to switch into to Hoopa-U reliably. The closest Pokemon to a counter is Mandibuzz and even that fears the common Thunderbolt. One of major issues with Choice Hoopa-U is that it puts a strain on building almost always being paired with Mega Medicham as the beat each-others checks and counters. The set functions similar to how it does on Dark, but Choice Hoopa-U has better support offensively from Mega Medicham, Gardevoir, and Victini. While defensively Pokemon such as Slowbro, Jirachi, and Mew. This in turn creates a Psychic team that have a good chance in almost every matchup meaning that Psyshic teams are very dominant. Recently in Monotype spring and summer seasonals Choice Specs Hoopa-U has been used multiple times demolishing bulky water and flying teams. The best replay showcasing Choice Specs Hoopa-U is Eien vs Level 56 in Spring Seasonal as it shows that Choice Specs Hoopa-U can break even the bulkiest of cores. This is the most interesting change that has happened late in ORAS metagame, which is cool to see the metagame is still evolving even in the late stages.

Hopefully we see more subtle changes to the metagame like this to spice up ORAS Monotype as an era comes to a close.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DoW has stepped down from the council b/c he's concerned about his activity levels as we transition to the new generation. He was one of the original council members and has been majorly influential with how the metagame developed over the past two years. He'll definitely be missed!

The council and OM leaders have selected Clearly to take his spot.

Please don't use this thread to thank DoW or congratulate Clearly.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Wow, that is the most evenly distributed I've seen this metagame in a long time. Three possible explanations come to mind without thinking too much about it:
  1. It's the end of the generation so the "better" players don't ladder as much anymore and are letting less generic battlers take over the ladder.
  2. It's the end of the generation so everyone, including the "better" battlers, are just using whatever they feel like using instead of picking generic types.
  3. There's been innovative new sets in Fighting and Bug teams that I haven't heard about.
If it's the last one, anyone care to explain what the innovations are? I never thought I'd see Psychic and Flying this low in Gen 6.

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Scp we get it, you wanted to ban hoopa
I sexually identify as a wallbreaker.

In all seriousness, a few things stand out to me.

Volcanion being 2nd most used mon on Fire really surprises me. I think with it's weakness to Rocks and the fact that Fire as a type overall skews to offense, a mon that, at least from what I've seen, encourage balanced builds, surprises me. I personally have always preferred spamming priority and Sacred Fire, as I feel that really helps in matchups like Fire v Dragon. Steam Eruption burns might help wear down bulky M-Lat which Fire really struggles with, but you're donking your own Steam Eruption in sun sometimes, which is one of the things I'm confused about.

Ghost above Rock? What the hell? Don't hate me Ghost mains but I think Rock + Webs + M-Dianc has a lot better chance against Fighting (unless Bullet M-Cham mash that mfkin x...) than Ghost does.

Anyways, haven't played in a few months. That's just what I noticed.

Yeah Rock being on the absolute bottom of the list surprised me also. Its actually quite a fun type to use competitively and I've had some good teams that I've been able to build with it.

I think the fact that people have some of their favourite Pokemon as Ghost types is probably what drives the type up in usage at the moment. Otherwise it doesn't have much going for it until the advent of Gen 7 Ghost types which I feel will give the type a huge boost in usage.

Also as Omega pointed out Rock has a bit more to cover its weaknesses than Ghost does which, to me anyway, proves its status as a better type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)