Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

For a few days now, I can't connect my wi-fi for my Moon cartridge for a few days. It keeps saying there is maintenance going on. I've checked today and it still says the same thing. Is there really maintenance going on? Or is it a personal problem?

How do I calculate a Pokemon's PID, assuming I already know its IVs?
Edit: Resolved. Never mind.

Last edited:
This page was supposed to be RNG Reporter, but apparently it was taken down. Now how do I find out which frames I'm supposed to initiate Pokemon battles to get the desired Pokemon?

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the Pokémon Global Link? I'm using my correct username and password - I even reset my password just in case I'd forgot it - but each time I try to log in it just resets the screen and empties the text boxes. Doesn't log me in or even show me an error message.

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the Pokémon Global Link? I'm using my correct username and password - I even reset my password just in case I'd forgot it - but each time I try to log in it just resets the screen and empties the text boxes. Doesn't log me in or even show me an error message.
I just tried it and it worked fine, but I've had that happen before. Are you pressing Enter or clicking on the button to sign in after you put in your info? IIRC it seemed to happen when I pressed Enter to sign in, but not if I clicked on the button.

Is there any Pokémon that would subjectively be the best for completing Super Training regiments the fastest (for evo stones and other Secret ST regiment items)? I've been curious but haven't found anything via Google.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is there any Pokémon that would subjectively be the best for completing Super Training regiments the fastest (for evo stones and other Secret ST regiment items)? I've been curious but haven't found anything via Google.
I've always had best luck with Volcarona and other species that shoot the big, slow, powerful shots. Each fully charged shot does a ton of damage (can be >1000) once you've maxed (Special) Attack and Speed EVs, making most battles go super fast. Charge, shoot, repeat a few times and success. While I've never really noticed the shot's color, bulbapedia lists it as a "green" shot. Their list of all species with this type of shot is here.

In the battle tree, what exactly does this chansey ev spread do? Ive seen it on the battle tree forums but i havent seen an explanation.
244 Def / 20 Sp.Def / 244 Spe timid nature

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In the battle tree, what exactly does this chansey ev spread do? Ive seen it on the battle tree forums but i havent seen an explanation.
244 Def / 20 Sp.Def / 244 Spe timid nature
This question should be asked in the battle tree discussion thread directly. But the basic point of Timid Chansey is that the high Speed plays really well with Substitute (if you move first, you'll know exactly when to resub) and is especially helpful when facing OHKO move users. Also remember that since this Chansey runs Minimize, predicting when your Sub is going to get broken is difficult when going second, and so you risk either wasting limited Sub PP Subing on a turn where the foe's attack misses, or if you choose not to use Sub, you risk being stuck without a Sub up on the next turn if the foe's attack hits. 244 EVs get Chansey to 111 Speed, which easily outspeeds important OHKO users like Walrein4 and Articuno2. You could imagine stopping at 106 Speed (one point faster than Articuno2), but at that point, putting the small number of EVs you've saved into defenses does very little, while outrunning things in the 106-110 range is, while not perhaps absolutely essential, still very useful. The reason the set stops at 244 Speed EVs is that maxing to 252 puts Chansey at 112 Speed, which results in a lot of Speed ties. Speed ties are really bad when using Substitute, as they make predicting when to resub nearly impossible. You still tie with Clawitzer4 at 111, but that's not really a big deal, because if you look at its moveset, you'll see that Speed tie or no, Chansey always loses if it locks into Aura Sphere and wins otherwise. 252 EVs going into Defense is standard, since they enable Chansey to survive a number of physical attacks she otherwise wouldn't be able to, and with Chansey's base HP and Special Defense already so big, pumping lots of EVs into them has limited effect. The remaining few EVs go into Special Defense since they'll do more good there than boosting Chansey's off-the-charts HP.

EDIT: As for going to only 244 in Defense and 20 in Special Defense, I'm pretty sure the issue there is Eviolite. 244 Defense and 20 Special Defense result in stats of 56 and 128 respectively, which are both even, and so both get the full 50% Eviolite boost, for effective stats of 84 and 192. Maxing Defense and putting only 12 into Special Defense results in base stats of 57 and 127, so the Eviolite boosts round down, leaving you with effective stats of 85 and 190. Losing the 1 point of Defense is probably worth gaining 2 in Special defense, even given Chansey's high base Special Defense and low Defense. Looking at this, it seems clear that my build of 4 / 0 / 252 / 4 / 4 / 244 is too cute, and I should probably just take the cleaner 0 / 0 / 244 / 0 / 20 / 244. Yay for making me rethink this.

Last edited:
I've never messed around with Festival Plaza in the games (except to trade online), so I have no idea what I'm doing and have a few questions.

How do I get more FC?

What needs to be done to unlock the following places (or are they unlocked from the start)?
  • Haunted Houses
  • Lottery
  • Café (the one that sells the Rare Buffet)
Thanks!

This might seem like an odd question, but this is pretty important for me.

Recently, my older carts are having a harder and harder time being read by my 3DS. At first, I assumed it was simply just the age of my 3DS, but after examining my cartridges, I'm seeing noticeable degradation in the contact strips, such that I can see the physical cart below. Thus, it's likely that use has worn down the usable surface area, and as such it's getting harder for the 3DS to read the carts.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, and is there any way to fix this issue? Or should I evacuate my Pokemon to the bank, on the assumption that these carts may be unreadable in the near future?

My best guess at a fix is to try and use conductive paint to try and correct the issue, but that's a surefire way if it doesn't work to ruin the cart for good...

I'm curious: after Aggronite was released this morning, how many Mega Stones does that leave currently unreleased for Sun and Moon? I know the Latis are two of them.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm curious: after Aggronite was released this morning, how many Mega Stones does that leave currently unreleased for Sun and Moon? I know the Latis are two of them.
The last 5 unreleased Mega-Stones in Sun and Moon are: Altarianite, Ampharosite, Diancite, Latiasite and Latiosite.
All of these Mega-Stones, bar Diancite, will be obtainable as a Weakness Cup competition entry reward.
At this point it's safe to assume that they'll also be obtainable via serial code in a foreseeable future, including the Diancite.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I just updated this in the OP, but the list has been there for a while. There are still a couple which are not available via codes, but they seem to be going back over the ones which were from competitions and releasing them slowly but surely.

I've never messed around with Festival Plaza in the games (except to trade online), so I have no idea what I'm doing and have a few questions.

How do I get more FC?

What needs to be done to unlock the following places (or are they unlocked from the start)?
  • Haunted Houses
  • Lottery
  • Café (the one that sells the Rare Buffet)
Thanks!
You can get more FC by talking to the NPC's in Festival Plaza and guiding them to where they want to go as well as playing in missions. The Dancer in front of the castle gives three tickets a day.

As for facilities, don't bother with Haunted Houses. Sophocles will offer you a new facility whenever you earn enough FC to level up your plaza's rank, aside from a few points. The other way is by asking the NPC's if they know any good facilities, which they'll offer to introduce you to one for FC. This also lets you get the better versions of facilities you already have, like the coveted Rare Kitchen 5* that sell Rare Buffet.

I'm working on a Platinum Nuzlocke and have a plan to beat Cynthia. It involves spamming Captivate on Spiritomb with Lumineon, switching in a Baton Passer (Girafarig or Lopunny) to Agili-Pass to Gallade. Then use Swords Dance and sweep her team with Ice Punch/Close Combat/Leaf Blade. Will her Spiritomb switch with -6 SpA? I did this to Fantina's Mismagius with Staravia and she didn't switch

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm working on a Platinum Nuzlocke and have a plan to beat Cynthia. It involves spamming Captivate on Spiritomb with Lumineon, switching in a Baton Passer (Girafarig or Lopunny) to Agili-Pass to Gallade. Then use Swords Dance and sweep her team with Ice Punch/Close Combat/Leaf Blade. Will her Spiritomb switch with -6 SpA? I did this to Fantina's Mismagius with Staravia and she didn't switch
probably not, back in gen 4 the ai would almost never switch, hence the shenanigans people have used to get long streaks in the battle facilities

In Emerald, is there a way to abuse the RNG to influence the Pokemon I face in Battle Frontier facilities?

Last edited:

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
In Emerald, is there a way to abuse the RNG to influence the Pokemon I face in Battle Frontier facilities?
Theoretically probably yes, but as far as I'm aware there has been no research put into it at all and the wait times would be so ridiculously extortionate that you'd be better off just laddering normally and losing a streak to a bad matchup and starting over, rather than waiting weeks, months, or even years for a favourable one.

Also in response to your post from over a month ago, the latest version of RNGReporter (10.2) can be downloaded from here. Do note though that it will not help with your endeavors to manipulate the tower.

Last edited:
Hello I am currently revisiting games for older Legendary's because they now can be perfectly used with Sun and Moon because of the Hyper Training. Now I am playing X and Alpha Sapphire but I am actually kind of confused with the SM meta and the XY meta. I can understand they are different because of buffs and Nerves, that I can understand. However I am doubting which Natures of the XY/ORAS Legendary's really should be used or not. According to Karxrida Paragon Knight (http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ad-before-posting.3523153/page-3#post-5891892) Post 59 those are the natures you should aim for. But I have compared some of them to the Sun and Moon meta and well while some of the natures are the same, at the same time they are completely different. So my Question is, is there a new List for which Natures I should aim for those Pokémon in the current (Sun and Moon) meta/competitive play?

Hello I am currently revisiting games for older Legendary's because they now can be perfectly used with Sun and Moon because of the Hyper Training. Now I am playing X and Alpha Sapphire but I am actually kind of confused with the SM meta and the XY meta. I can understand they are different because of buffs and Nerves, that I can understand. However I am doubting which Natures of the XY/ORAS Legendary's really should be used or not. According to Karxrida Paragon Knight (http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ad-before-posting.3523153/page-3#post-5891892) Post 59 those are the natures you should aim for. But I have compared some of them to the Sun and Moon meta and well while some of the natures are the same, at the same time they are completely different. So my Question is, is there a new List for which Natures I should aim for those Pokémon in the current (Sun and Moon) meta/competitive play?
There might be, but with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon coming this November, and revealing at least two new formes that are either for Necrozma or Solgaleo and Lunala so far, the metagame could change again.

Ultimately, you should probably aim for natures that benefit the teams you want to use these Pokemon on. Maybe start with the ones where the nature is unlikely to change. (for example, Raikou has little use for anything but Timid and either HP Ice or Grass) Also, unless you're worrying about the 20th anniversary Mythicals, you can always restart your games to aim for different natures if need be.

My best advice is to look up the Pokemon you want on these statistics and aim for whichever nature is best according to that. For example, if you see this:
then it means the last page of statistics was collected from players with Glicko ratings higher than 1825. Those players are more likely to be experienced and know what they're doing, so I think those statistics are a reliable way to determine which natures are good.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
in this post silver_lucario42 jumps the shark
or he would if he knew what that meant

gen 1

articuno: timid, hp fighting according to smogdex. you could probably get away with hp fire/ground if you want to catch a gen 6 articuno and you're planning to use it outside of pu

zapdos: timid or bold, hp ice. keep in mind that thundurus is another option for offensive sets but zapdos holds notable niches like improved bulk and heat wave.

moltres: timid with hp grass or hp electric. if you want you can style some guys with grassium solar beam or maybe z sunny day. i've heard some stuff about a defensive set with roost will o wisp and maybe substitute (probably with a bold nature) but imo only get that if you have an extra moltres.

mew: timid for both the ou defensive set and those wack mewnium sets. no hidden power lol

mewtwo: timid is good for both base and mega y so i would recommend that. as for mega x, there aren't any sets listed on the analysis but your best bets are probably jolly/hasty/adamant.

gen 2

raikou: timid hp ice man, timid hp ice. hp grass is also fun to hit gastrodon if you want. hp fire is not recommended unless you have no access to aura sphere.

entei: nothing on the analysis but you probably want jolly/adamant and extreme speed.

suicune: timid and bold for smogon tiers, modest for battle spot. get hp electric if you want but it's only used on this one weird cm set in uu.

celebi: bold or timid depending on whether you want defense or offense, always hp fire because it actually has a pretty good movepool and doesn't need any other types. maybe hp ice if you want

ho oh: impish or adamant, jolly is also ok. i used a careful one back in vgc 16 but do what you want i guess.

lugia: bold, maybe calm too. hp fire is probably the best if you want to go offensive with timid or something

gen 3

regirock: probably impish or careful, could use brave if you want to use this guy on a trick room team or something. there are usually better options though. obviously no hidden power is needed

regice: modest or timid because this boi is too strong man!! if you like defensive sets run bold or calm but ice isn't a very good typing for a wall. doesn't need hidden power because ice/electric/fighting is good enough

registeel: the recommended set uses calm with seismic toss as an attack but i recommend careful instead because registeel has a good physical movepool if you ever want to use that with curse or something. you're not gonna be using special registeel come on man. sassy is an option too

kyogre: bold or modest. timid might be cool for scarf ogre but it's not recommended. water/ice/electric is good enough coverage but if you want you can run hp grass to catch that one kid who uses gastrodon, something dumb like hp ghost for shed could work too but at that point just run toxic man

groudon: primal groudon can effectively use both offensive and defensive sets with physical or special attacks. depending on what you want it to do pretty much any nature is viable but i would stay away from +defense stuff like bold (you want spdef) and neutral natures. for a list of the ones i think are viable: adamant lonely naughty brave mild modest rash quiet careful jolly timid hasty. some of these (like the -speed ones and modest) are vgc 16 relics but you can still use them in fun battles vs your friends or something. no hidden power tho bc you have all the coverage you could ever need, maybe ice to hit zygarde?

rayquaza: adamant jolly or naive, i ran specs mega ray once which was fun but dragon ascent is still really nice for stuff like blissey so don't use timid. no hidden power because what resists flying+fire+ground man? are you gonna run hp fighting to bop air balloon ttar

deoxys: deoxys a can use any nature that decreases its defense unless it increases the other defense. deoxys d uses bold but the analysis says it sucks so take that with a grain of salt. deoxys s uses timid for moar hazards. don't use deoxys n.

jirachi: careful or jolly for the sr wish support set and the scarf set respectively. you don't need hidden power

gen 4

azelf: just get something that increases speed and you're good

mesprit: the analysis says timid so use that ig. hp fire/fighting is probably your best bet. run a physical set with jolly if you like luring guys and relying on zen headbutt for stab

uxie: uxie likes to relax so give it a relaxed nature. you also probably want to tutor it stealth rock before transferring to gen 7 unless it learns that naturally

dialga: modest is the set on the analysis but they listed a trick room set in other options so run quiet instead if you want to use that. i'd suggest hp fire but yknow flamethrower

palkia: palkia is the Z MOVE EXTRAORDINAIRE and it runs modest and sometimes timid too

giratina: adamant modest or impish. its movepool is surprisingly bad compared to dialga/palkia so it might be worth going for hp fighting or something if you don't feel like running eq

heatran: timid modest quiet or calm. hasty can be used if you're running scarf and want to ohko zard y with stone edge. best hidden power is ice. if you have the eruption event heatran try to give it 7 speed ivs if you want to play smogon doubles but i don't think quiet heatran is worth using outside of the eruption event

manaphy: timid, hp grass/electric/fire are your best options but the set doesn't have them (it runs psychic) so it's your call idk

shaymin: it's a hedgehog so of course it's gotta go fast. timid is the recommended nature on everything except scarf shaymin sky which is modest. shaymin sky doesn't need hidden power because air slash + earth power got you covered but normal shaymin likes hp fire/ice/rock in that order

cresselia: just get something that increases your defenses and decreases attack or speed. easy enough. run hp fire/fighting/ground probably

darkrai: timid, you don't need hidden power unless you hate focus blast. didn't know firium z incinerate was a set until just now :o

regigigas: adamant i guess

arceus: adamant is good jolly is good bold is good timid is good calm is good, most natures are good. let's face it if you have arceus it doesn't matter much what nature it is lol

victini: jolly or adamant, maybe naive or something if you're running one of those weird mixed lures with glaciate

tornadus: timid or naive, ground is the best hidden power but you have superpower which is kinda the same thing so it's whatever

thundurus: also timid or naive, hidden power ice and maybe flying are good

landorus: lando i is only good with sheer force so run naive or rash if you can get that that, lando t runs adamant/jolly/impish

reshiram: modest, no hidden power. break those walls

zekrom: see reshiram but with adamant

kyurem: timid naughty naive rash adamant depending on whether you want to use kyub or kyuw. hp fire is the best either way

keldeo: timid or hasty, hp electric is good but hp poison has also been gaining popularity if you want to bop bulu

meloetta: timid and you don't need hidden power

genesect: timid is best but hasty and naive can work too. genesect learns like 60% of all damaging moves so hidden power is kinda chill, ground is probably your best bet

xerneas: modest and timid are your best options for herb geomancy and choice sets, bold is preferred for z geo. hidden power fire and ground are good

yveltal: naive and rash work for its mixed attacker set, modest/timid do well on choice scarf/specs and bold is best for its physical wall set, you don't really need hidden power when you're spamming boosted foul play and stuff

zygarde: jolly for 10%, adamant for offensive 50% and 100%, careful for sub coil 50%

hoopa: timid jolly and hasty are the listed natures but you can go +attack/+spa if you so desire, the speed can be important tho, no hp

volcanion: modest timid or rash, no hidden power needed

diancie: mega stone isn't out yet so you can use sassy for non mega if you want. mega uses hasty/naive hp fire

solgaleo: even the "specially defensive" set runs adamant, weird

lunala: modest or timid. no hidden power bc ghost/fighting is just that good

bulu: jolly or adamant

fini: timid for singles, modest/bold for everything else. hp fire/electric/grass are good but mostly unnecessary

koko: timid and naive are fun, hp ice is good to bop them lando ts but if you're running specs dazzling gleam or something then you can blaze through ferro with hp fire

lele: timid or modest. hp fire is good in smogon tiers and vgc 17 but ground is recommended in battle spot as well for heatran.

nihilego: timid, hp ice or maybe fire if you hate steel types and you're too lazy to run dugtrio

buzzwole: impish or adamant. hidden power fairy is good on swords dance sets. i'm sorry

pheromosa: run naive or hasty if you want on mixed sets, modest is best on qd. hidden power electric is fun to slap mantine

xurkitree: timid hp ice. hp fire is another option if you feel like switching to dazzling gleam

kartana: jolly. if you run that timid kartana set then i'm going to track your ip and beat you up

celesteela: adamant/jolly/modest/timid for autotomize depending on what moves you like using, sassy and relaxed are the best natures for defensive sets

guzzlord: who knows what this thing does man??? the nu set is choice specs with modest so use that if you want, other options are fine and you can rarely go wrong by just using a nature that just decreases speed (unless you plan on using said specs set). doesn't need hidden power blah blah

magearna: timid calm or quiet for shift gear, assault vest and otr respectively. hp fire is the listed option but you probably won't need it on offensive focus blast sets, only the av one

marshadow: jolly or hasty with hp ice. delet this

all hail sega. buy another dreamcast

bulu: jolly or adamant

fini: timid for singles, modest/bold for everything else. hp fire/electric/grass are good but mostly unnecessary

koko: timid and naive are fun, hp ice is good to bop them lando ts but if you're running specs dazzling gleam or something then you can blaze through ferro with hp fire

lele: timid or modest. hp fire is good in smogon tiers and vgc 17 but ground is recommended in battle spot as well for heatran.

nihilego: timid, hp ice or maybe fire if you hate steel types and you're too lazy to run dugtrio

buzzwole: impish or adamant. hidden power fairy is good on swords dance sets. i'm sorry

pheromosa: run naive or hasty if you want on mixed sets, modest is best on qd. hidden power electric is fun to slap mantine

xurkitree: timid hp ice. hp fire is another option if you feel like switching to dazzling gleam

kartana: jolly. if you run that timid kartana set then i'm going to track your ip and beat you up

celesteela: adamant/jolly/modest/timid for autotomize depending on what moves you like using, sassy and relaxed are the best natures for defensive sets

guzzlord: who knows what this thing does man??? the nu set is choice specs with modest so use that if you want, other options are fine and you can rarely go wrong by just using a nature that just decreases speed (unless you plan on using said specs set). doesn't need hidden power blah blah
The Tapus and Ultra Beasts are technically not legendaries because their stats are too low. You also forgot Necrozma.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)