Gen 4 Old Player, New Metagamer. Plz rate my 1st meta-team!

I'm playing Soulsilver, and since WFC is shut down, I only have access to Soulsilver, and no other Pokemon game or player right now.

I'm after a Trainer Card star for achieving the 100 win streak challenge.

I initially showed up with my best non-Smogon/Metagame team to date, a Dragonite, Starmie, and Tyranitar. Obviously the Starmie shows I was somewhat aware of Smogon-esque movesets, but the 100 win streak challenge quickly showed me I needed a Smogon/Metagame-quality team to make it.

Now that I've browsed Smogon, here's the trio I'm considering EV raising for the 100 win streak challenge:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: ?
Nature: Jolly
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Substitute

Calm Mind Latios:

Latios @ Magnet (No access to Soul Dew)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder
- Recover

RestTalk Snorlax:

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Impish
- Hyper Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Pursuit

I'm not too sure whether to go with Restalk Snorlax or Tyranitar. I just need something that lasts.

Is this team viable for the 100 win streak?

Please help me out. Thanks!

Last edited:
Why Thunder on Latios? Unless there's some specific threat you really need the damage for, it's better to go for Tbolt due to its better accuracy. You can also consider Surf, as Dragon/Water coverage is pretty great- only Empoleon resists that combo.

I'm sorry, but that Snorlax set is kinda terrible. Lax generally shouldn't me going max/max+ Def as it's just not good at taking physical hits, while running such a set squanders its significant offensive potential. As for the moves, RestTalk makes sense, but Pursuit and Hyper Beam do not. There's no real need for Pursuit support for this team, especially because idk how liberal the AI is with switches, and it's just going to do nothing unless the opponent is switching. Meanwhile Hyper Beam is on so many levels the wrong choice- first of all there's the recharge turn, which is absolutely crippling and the primary reason why Hyper Beam is never used in gen 4. But on top of that, it's on Snorlax. Hyper Beam's a special attack, and so is based off Snorlax's poor Special Attack rather than its solid Attack stat, so it's going to be doing bugger-all damage.

Furthermore, I don't think Lax is even what your team needs. Your team has gone double dragon and has almost no way of handling counters to Dragons. Consequently, you should be looking for something that can take on Ice, Steel and opposing Dragon types. A Fire type could work due to its advantages against Ice and Steel types, but you've gotta be mindful of that Dragon matchup and ensure you have sufficient coverage against them. A bulky water is imo an ideal solution, as it resists Ice and Steel and hits them neutrally, while it should also be running Ice Beam to cover Dragons. Suicune, Slowbro/king, or Vaporeon spring to mind as potential candidates. The only issue is Empoleon, but if you stick with Dragon/Electric coverage on your Latios you at least have that threat kinda covered, and it's not as though Empoleon doesn't itself struggle with Water types

THANK YOU SO MUCH for commenting! I've made adjustments below. I hope this team is good enough.

Dragon Dance:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: ?
Nature: Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Calm Mind Latios:

Latios @ Sitrus Berry (No access to Soul Dew) (Sitrus Berry Perhaps Lets Me Get Away With One Calm Mind)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Lonely (Wanted Timid, but incredibly enough Latios's Nature is set in SoulSilver)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Recover

SubCM Suicune:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Nature: (A Completely Neutral One, Thankfully, Cause That's How I Caught It)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)