Official Smogon Fantasy Football Thread - 2015-16 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
MrE wins the #strongs league but wasn't man enough to put in $50 so he wins NOTHING.

Grats to Texas who got 3rd and was the highest standing of the people who paid to play.

Looks like I'm going to lose my League D championship game barring the Broncos DST scoring 30 points. Starting Denard over Hightower and Brady over Brees were really costly.

Looks like I'm going to lose my League D championship game barring the Broncos DST scoring 30 points. Starting Denard over Hightower and Brady over Brees were really costly.
GG man. I went to bed because it was 4am local time, at halftime of the jags-saints game. I had a 20% chance of winning at that point. Turns out kickers and the Jags in garbage time win championships.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
MrE wins the #strongs league but wasn't man enough to put in $50 so he wins NOTHING.

Grats to Texas who got 3rd and was the highest standing of the people who paid to play.
Finally squashed macle's Frogs. At least I get bragging rights. :( Good thing I never worked anything out with Texas for Jordan Reed!

For the record, I also "beat" kd24 in League A this week by six points, so I would've also won the League A 'ship (back-to-back baby) if I didn't get dicked by Stallion in Week 14. >:|
In case folks have forgotten:
Monday, 8:30 PM.

One game back from moot for the 4th and final playoff spot in Smogon League A, solid points scored lead and I'm looking at 140+ this week. Tied with Texas and Huy. Texas already lost, I play Huy next week. All I need is a combined 13 from DeSean Jackson and Jordan Reed for WaterBomb to beat moot, myself just over 9 points from McFadden to beat Stallion, the only person to secure a playoff spot and all but locked up the #1 seed already. Cautiously optimistic.

2:00 left in the game.

Nothing but pain, despair, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The Romo-less Cowboys are as offensively inept as they always are, the Redskins are who we thought they were. Absolutely no relevant fantasy football scoring has occured, unless you're playing one of the kickers. I think they've outscored any combination of two skill position players in this game, not because they've kicked an ungodly number of field goals but because the offenses have simply been that incompetent. Hopkins even missed two.

1:47 remaining.

Suddenly, Dallas and Washington do what they do best: zany fucking shit at the end of the game that inexplicably leads to a shitton of points scored that shouldn't be. DJax makes one of the most retarded plays of the year by running backwards 20 yards, across the entire width of the field and fumbles it! Dallas manages to not screw it up and McFadden punches in the touchdown!

All it takes is 30 seconds for Dallas to revert to Dallas. Long kickoff return, questionable facemask penalty, and Jackson catches a touchdown pass from 30 yards out! WaterBomb has won, moot is vanquished! Unfortunately, I'm still down by .64 points but Dallas has time to drive themselves. Dallas is also pretty likely to not score and serve me an overtime period where McFadden is all but guaranteed more stats.

0:44 remaining.

Surely McFadden can rush once for 7 yards, right? Dallas has two timeouts and they just need a FG. Maybe catch a quick screen or swing pass to beat one blitz, and ultimately I should still have overtime where he's very likely to get more stats.

Oh boy, the return past the 40. Matt Cassel doesn't actually throw the ball to his running back, whether he's open or not, and the coaching staff has seemingly forgotten that RB is a valid pass-catching position since Dunbar went down (even though McFadden is a good receiver). 20 yards to Dez, two incompletions to Witten and we have a makeable 54-yarder for one of the best kickers in the game. And... it's good. Dallas wins. Yay Dallas. That's my team...

144.80 - 145.54

As a Dallas fan, I've never been more disappointed to see Bailey kick a game-winning 50-yard FG. :(

TL;DR

Now, I'm still not technically out of it yet. Me and Stallion are close enough that a stat correction could legitimately flip the result. Failing that, my play-in scenario next week is fairly improbable but not quite out of the realm of possibility: I beat Huy by 77+, Texas loses again (to #3 seed kd24) or I outscore him by 63, and moot loses again (to #2 seed tad38). Probably not gonna happen but it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world...

I just needed less than one more point and my play-in scenario was simply "beat Huy." (Well, and moot doesn't win and outscore me by 80+.) Feels bad man.
Sadly, I beat Huy and now get to merely pretend that I'm in League A playoffs after last week's luckfucking. I better "lose" so I don't have to get salty about being robbed of a championship. :( I did impact the playoff picture though, as my win over Huy put moot into the 4-seed. You know, the dude 9th in scoring with the 3rd most points against. A combined 50 from literally Ted Ginn and Tyler Lockett will get you W's though. RIP pre-season darlings me and Texas.
I'm gonna "beat" [Stallion] too and continue to be mildly miffed it is not I in the championship game. Meanwhile, tad is putting up a dud and I am the worst predictor ever.

Fucking figures.

also courtesy of buttblasting everyone else in Pick'em this week, I will be heading into Week 17 with the lead there too. good year for me, minus losing a few hundred on daily shit :[

Last edited:

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
tfw your team starts blowing up after the games stop mattering. Here's to my Consolation bowl trophy!

Barely made the playoffs in my money league, and am somehow in the championship despite picking up and starting these players:

Week 15: Bryce Brown and Brandon Bolden (8 points combined)

Week 16: CAP and Christine Micheal (5 points combined) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (23 points)

Week 17: Rashad Jennings and Zach Ertz (???)

At $15 a move I have spent over a hundred dollars this month on making shitty waiver moves and getting carried by the rest of my team anyway.

(if you're wondering why some of these guys were available, money per move + 4 bench spots means the WW has p good depth)

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
I'm not wondering why any of those guys are available besides Fitzpatrick maybe. I'm wondering why one would implement a money-per-move rule and why anyone else would entertain such a notion. "Welp, guess I'm stuck with whatever crap I had before that didn't work out, because spending money on waiver claims destroys all the profit potential of winning anyway!"

money goes in the pot naturally, so it's advantageous if you make fewer moves than your league mates or if you totally suck and bow out early

yeah it's a pretty shitty rule but these guys have been doing it this way for 20+ years or so. more concerning is the lack of fractional points which should be mandatory imo

most high stake irl leagues are money per move. my brother plays in a $200 buy in season long league with a $5 per move fee.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Same way they play with yardage bonuses and stuff, I'd imagine. Oh darn, my QB only threw for 299 yards, guess I don't get those extra three points. Same thing on a smaller scale, really.

Pay-per-move punishes you for having shitty luck and encourages people to give up early instead of trying to dig out of their hole, just to avoid losing more money. That's anti-competitive and not fun. :(

I just won my championship after drafting Luck, Jimmy graham, Carlos Hyde, Joseph Randle, Nelson Agholor, and the Miami defense to name a few. After starting 2-3 the waiver wire became essential and I probably wouldn't have kept playing if I had to pay to make moves.
Also last week my brother lost by 0.13 to keep him out of the championship. Without fractional points there would definitely be more ties and I would be pissed off more often. 69 yards shouldn't be 6 points etc

lost my Standard league by 6 points.

if i'd made the championship in my money league, i would have beat 1st or 2nd place by 20-30 points.

fun year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)