NU Player of the Week - Finchinator [week 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator
Favorite Pokémon:
Garchomp
Most used Pokémon: Rotom-Mow / Slowbro
Most known for: Being a member of ou and nu council, longtime tournament player and tryhard, frequent forum poster, and general Smogon presence that's fairly active
Earth: Hello, Finch! How are you?
Finchinator: I'm alright. It has been a relatively hectic week due to college starting back up again, but I am all moved in and have had all of my classes for the week, so I am relieved and a bit more relaxed at the moment.

Earth: Where did your username come from?
Finchinator: Well, my last name in real life happens to start with Finch and when I played baseball when I was younger, my coaches and teammates used to call me Finchinator when I did well or just as a general nickname. It then stuck with me through other things and when I was trying to figure out what to name myself when I first downloaded PO in 2011, I elected to go with it. It stuck and I never really looked back although I have had some recent thoughts of changing my official Smogon forum name to Finch.

Earth: You’re the most recent addition to the NU council team; what are your thoughts on the Meloetta ban? What would you like to see being tested soon?
Finchinator: I believe the Meloetta ban was for the best. I think it was a very cool Pokemon to play around with, but it did not have sufficient counterplay and the two variants it had made actually checking it a challenge in itself. I was pretty verbal about this in the suspect thread, to say the least, but I will leave that there seeing as the vote is over with. As for the future of the tier, I do not necessarily want to test anything, but I do think that Aurora Veil should be dealt with in the immediate future. I am not sure if this is an issue that the community as a whole can properly understand, gauge, and vote upon, so I would prefer if the council itself handled it, but we shall see how realistic that is in the future. I do, however, think there are a few things that are borderline test worthy and could emerge as even moreso in the future -- these being Rotom-Mow, Emboar, and Slowbro. I would not necessarily vote ban on any of them right now, but this can very easily change, so we shall wait and see what comes up!

Earth: Speaking of the Meloetta ban, do you think any Pokemon are a lot better now? If so, which ones?
Finchinator: I think that Mismagius and Togedemaru are two Pokemon that clearly improved with the banning of Meloetta. Mismagius seems fairly obvious and straightforward seeing as Meloetta hard walled it with any set just because of the Normal typing and decent natural Special bulk. With one less common offensive check to Mismagius and there being less need for the metagame to speed up in pace to keep up with Meloetta, Mismagius has more room to function as a win conditon that does well against balanced teams and something that can claim a kill most games. Togedemaru is a bit less of a direct improvement, but I still think there is a clear correlation to it improving and Meloetta going. Togedemaru is now much more splashable as a Specially Defensive pivot as it previously feared Focus Blast, Calm Mind, and even strong STAB Specs attacks from Meloetta despite being a Steel type, which resists both STABs, meaning that building with it and still covering Meloetta meant you had to use Slowking when you really want Xatu on Togedemaru teams due to how often it invites in Steelix, Rhydon, and Piloswine. Now, Togedemaru is able to wall things it normally did such as Rotom-Mow, Vikavolt, and Scarf Vanilluxe while also not being as much of a strain on team structures and the ability to be consistent.

Earth: What are some underrated and/or unexplored Pokemon you have been liking lately?
Finchinator: I suppose we can keep going from where we just left off -- Togedemaru. I think that slapping this bad boy onto balance teams is really neat right now and offers you quite the unique blend of defneisve presence, utility, and momentum with the defensive typing it has, Wish, and U-turn. As for some other Pokemon, I find Stealth Rock Mold Breaker Swords Dance Z-Earthquake Pinsir to be insanely underrated -- I posted this set and explained it a bit more in the NUPL sets thread, but I must say that this thing gives you an edge early on in so many matches and Pinsir is just generally a Pokemon that has so much overlooked utility. Specs Typhlosion and Specs Guzzlord are two of the better hard hitters on the special side that do not see nearly enough usage, even with Guzzlord starting to slightly trend upwards -- both of these are really solid and hard to check, so people should try integrating them into teams moreso than they currently are. Finally, Specially Defensive Rotom-Mow, Z-Fire Blast Slowking, and Imprison Uxie are three sets that have not been used nearly enough given their effectiveness in the metagame -- these Pokemon individually see a ton of usage and I think that more people should give these sets a chance and see how much it opens teambuilding and positively impacts their battles.

Earth: You’ve experienced quite a few generations of NU. What is your favorite one and why?
Finchinator: I think that I am at least competent in every generation of NU from DPP onwards and my favorite is either BW or SM. BW is most definitely not a popular pick, often finding its way to the bottom of most people's lists. However, I think that it takes much more skill to navigate through the hazard metagame and teambuild accordingly than a tier like ORAS and I find that the things a tier like BW rewards in the teambuilder and game itself often draw me to the tier, increasing my personal appeal to participate in tours with BW NU. SM is partially new toy syndrome, but even that has slowly dwindled away and in place of it is a fairly solid, balanced metagame that does lean offensive, but it is ok because that can align with my playstyle sometimes and I think that with a few small changes, this tier can surely top my list due to all of the viable Pokemon, the emerging playerbase, and the fact that it is the modern, in thing to play for the NU community after all haha.

Earth: How was your NUPL experience this year? Who are you expecting to win the whole thing?
Finchinator: NUPL was a very enjoyable experience for me, but I do wish some things went differently. I think that our draft could have been quite different and we could have had a much more competitive team overall, but that is ok -- I cannot complain about this aspect of the team anyway seeing as I did not elect to manage myself, so yea. I was glad to work with each and every member of my team and I think that everyone was nice and wanted very much to win, so I cannot complain about that even if a few of our slots could have improved. Special shoutouts to Hootie for being a pretty damn dominant performer for most of the tournament and breaking out in the tournament scene in general, too. As for playoffs, I think that the team Rozes drafted and Raseri's team will be the two finalists with the former likely emerging victorious due to them having a much stronger roster, but I think that both teams are worthy and capable winners, so we shall have to wait and see which team executes better -- rooting personally for my friends on both sides!

Earth: How do you cope with balancing important roles in both the OU and NU communities?
Finchinator: Well, OU has not had any suspects in a while and I am used to being an OU Forum Moderator, so I have not had to necessarily deal with much overlap or too much to handle. I do wish that OU could get something like Dugtrio suspected, but a combination of laziness from certain individuals, logistical issues, and a few other things have held that back, so hopefully this can change in the near future. Either way, I just do what I can when I can and prioritize things I enjoy because this whole game and community is for fun after all! I am glad to take on as much as I can if I have the time and it is fun.

Earth: Could you tell us a bit more about yourself IRL?
Finchinator: Sure! I am an eighteen year old college Sophmore at Binghamton University in the School of Management (Business School) majoring in Finance. I am a very active sports follower, most notably when it comes to Baseball, Football, and Basketball. I am also a very competitive person, which you can likely tell by how I behave here, but this is also reflected in my following of sports and occasional playing (used to play Basbeall all the time and Basketball sporadically when I was younger, but not so much anymore). Some other things I enjoy are music, comedy, and chicken wings.

Earth: What do you enjoy doing the most here on Smogon, between C&C, subforum contributions, tournaments, etc?
Finchinator: Being able to compete in tournaments and against other players, especially when I am on a team with friends, is my favorite thing to do. However, I also enjoy the friend groups I make in the OU and NU communities and without these people, I do not know if I still would be around. With this said, being competitive and playing/building at a high level is what I strive to do and what I have the biggest drive to truly do as an individual, so this stands out as the answer for me.

Earth: Finally, can you share a team with us and briefly explain it?
Finchinator:

Samurott @ Buginium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Waterfall

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb
- Toxic Spikes

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 204 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Emboar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit

This is a team I used throughout open and ladder. I would consider this a fairly standard spikes bulky-offensive build, but it is very solid nevertheless. I happen to forgo a Choice Scarf user as I have three priority moves and a fast Pokemon like Sneasel, but otherwise this has a pretty run-of-the-mill structure with the stereotypical Ground type Stealth Rocker, hard hitters in Specs Rotom-Mow and Expert Belt Emboar, and a win condition in Swords Dance Samurott, which is very good in the current metagame. The only potential change I could see being made would be making Steelix Max Attack as the Special Defense is not really necessary on this team, but either spread works and both have their pros and cons. I viewed this as my goto team for a while, but after using it against White Queen and to get reqs, I think it is time to put this team to rest and move on as the tier has so many cool viable options right now that I wish to explore!

Thanks a ton for your time, Finch! If you guys have any question for him, please ask them below!

Last edited:

SPACE FORCE meeps

LAW & ORDER!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Salutations esteemed Rat and Bird enthusiast Finchinator!

You're stuck on a deserted island with two fellow Smogon users, Hootie and Kiyo. Kiyo is mindlessly eating his shoe and instructing an imaginary child how to swim as he is hallucinating and that is all he is good for in life. Hootie is trying to convince himself, despite being in denial, that he is not like his fellow super moderators and is actually a straight, socially competent, and in-touch with the times individual. There are multiple options to get off of this island and you're limited on time, the only sane person left, and out of food, so you have to pick one quick in order to survive. You can either take a two-seated boat and strand one of the others, throw out your pokeball and ride your CB DARM's Flare Blitz to safety alone, or admit that Steelix is the best Stealth Rocker in the SM NU tier and then have a boat for three appear to guide you back to safety -- which do you pick and why?

When you truly surfaced on Smogon a few years ago during SPL 6 (and during the WCOP prior, even if that wasn't on as large of a scale and you did not do poorly in that tournament), you did not have the consistent success that many argue you are having right now, despite it not necessarily being at an SPL level quite yet. Back then, you didn't know too many tournament players outside of the PO group that was making a splash on Smogon and you where far from integrated into the UU, NU, or tournament communities. Now, you're very much ingrained in the culture of the communities (at least NU) and members of it (or simply the social circlejerk that accompany it). Do you think that you are a better player now and, if so, do you think that there is a positive correlation between your social exposure/landscape on Smogon and level of play? While on this topic, do you enjoy the current Smogon community and do you think there's anything that you would like to fundamentally improve if you had the power to do so?

You're known predominantly as a newer generation OU player and this is unquestionable. However, it is true that you've dabbled a fair amount in SM NU, as you've stated in your interview when discussing SPL. What have you learned about the game, on a fundamental level, that can be applied to every tier and playing in general from the time you have spent in NU and do you feel this has changed your outlook or gameplay in any way in newer generations? Mainly asking this as NU is, arguably, a fairly polarized metagame with clear extremes and various forms of established "cheese" and you at the type to naturally build "anti-metagame" type of teams, as shown by your usage of things like Mudsdale and Psychium Z in NU and if you happened to expand this mindset to NU building and playing, it would be a whole new set of challenges that certainly would force you to test your skill.

Do you think that, so far, the NU Council has done their job well (speaking strictly from a generation seven perspective)? Do you think the council should have more power than it currently does in the later stages of the metagame? Do you believe that the NU metagame is enjoyable right now and do you enjoy teambuilding in the metagame despite doing it far less than actually playing?

If you could remove any one element -- be it a Pokemon, move, mechanic, etc. -- from the SM NU metagame without any questions or consequences, that you could not justify removing as a member of the NU Council, what would it be and why?

Finally, a series of less tryhard, more fun questions:

who do you fuckin hate in smogon

whos the shittiest player uve played

Have you ever considered shaving your eyebrows?

Whats so likable about BW NU I have played it a couple times now for NUPL and well not much more to say about it. (besides what you already said of course)

If you can retest one mon what would it be?

Which NU tierleaders would you rather be stranded on a boat with? and why?

If you had to pick couple of newer players in NU you saw in NUPL, who do you think can be the next best thing?

TDK, Blunder, ABR, njnp and Omfuga are on the same team with you all of them want to help you build which one would you most likely to pick?

How do you go into 50/50's lategame when it matters the most?

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
You're one of the people whose attitude I really like because you're quite the hard-worker and it's incredible the amount of effort you put into everything, be it team/individual tournaments and moderating in general on the forums, do you ever feel tired or give yourself a break?

You've also been quite involved in both NeverUsed and OverUsed communities, which one do you feel you're closer to? Do you feel you're a lower tier player, a normal OU player or maybe you consider yourself someone versatile when it comes to playing different tiers?

Who are your favourite players to watch, do you like them because of the way the play, their overall consistency or just because you like hyping up whoever? It doesn't matter if it is he/she plays ou or lower tiers

It's sad that despite your hard work you haven't been able to yet be awarded with a trophy, are you still planning on getting one yourself before one day you quit the site, or do you just enjoy playing this game for fun?

And I was wondering, you mentioned you were preparing something for your 3000th post but at last decided not to do it and instead you posted FINCHTOUR 24, what was it?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Salutations esteemed Rat and Bird enthusiast Finchinator!
hellO

You're stuck on a deserted island with two fellow Smogon users, Hootie and Kiyo. Kiyo is mindlessly eating his shoe and instructing an imaginary child how to swim as he is hallucinating and that is all he is good for in life. Hootie is trying to convince himself, despite being in denial, that he is not like his fellow super moderators and is actually a straight, socially competent, and in-touch with the times individual. There are multiple options to get off of this island and you're limited on time, the only sane person left, and out of food, so you have to pick one quick in order to survive. You can either take a two-seated boat and strand one of the others, throw out your pokeball and ride your CB DARM's Flare Blitz to safety alone, or admit that Steelix is the best Stealth Rocker in the SM NU tier and then have a boat for three appear to guide you back to safety -- which do you pick and why?
Well, Steelix is the best Stealth Rock setter in SM NU, so I'll take the third option. Thankfully I see the light unlike some non-Steelix using fools n_n

When you truly surfaced on Smogon a few years ago during SPL 6 (and during the WCOP prior, even if that wasn't on as large of a scale and you did not do poorly in that tournament), you did not have the consistent success that many argue you are having right now, despite it not necessarily being at an SPL level quite yet. Back then, you didn't know too many tournament players outside of the PO group that was making a splash on Smogon and you where far from integrated into the UU, NU, or tournament communities. Now, you're very much ingrained in the culture of the communities (at least NU) and members of it (or simply the social circlejerk that accompany it). Do you think that you are a better player now and, if so, do you think that there is a positive correlation between your social exposure/landscape on Smogon and level of play? While on this topic, do you enjoy the current Smogon community and do you think there's anything that you would like to fundamentally improve if you had the power to do so?
I think that with exposure to tournament communities and circles that are made-up of higher level players I became a better player and the player I am today. However, I also think a lot of it had to do with playing the game itself and exposure to situations in battle that you cannot compensate for. It is true that being a part of these social circles and getting this exposure led me to getting into many higher level battles and this experience in the first place, however, so I would say that there is a clear correlation.

I think the current Smogon community has some questionable priorities as a whole and there are some users that I wish would change their behavior drastically, but I am not sure how much I would truly want to change and I am not sure if this is the right place to propose anything radical regardless, so I shall leave it at that and the fact that I still do enjoy myself when playing this game and interacting with other users, for the most part.

You're known predominantly as a newer generation OU player and this is unquestionable. However, it is true that you've dabbled a fair amount in SM NU, as you've stated in your interview when discussing SPL. What have you learned about the game, on a fundamental level, that can be applied to every tier and playing in general from the time you have spent in NU and do you feel this has changed your outlook or gameplay in any way in newer generations? Mainly asking this as NU is, arguably, a fairly polarized metagame with clear extremes and various forms of established "cheese" and you at the type to naturally build "anti-metagame" type of teams, as shown by your usage of things like Mudsdale and Psychium Z in NU and if you happened to expand this mindset to NU building and playing, it would be a whole new set of challenges that certainly would force you to test your skill.
I feel like playing NU reminds you that everything is what it is and you cannot get too fixated on a single Pokemon or style or core regardless of how good or common it might be. Teambuilding in NU always opens up my eyes to countless possibilities, innovations, techs, etc. and I feel like that as I grow as a player, my experience in NU lets me have a more openminded approach to teambuilding in other tiers, too. As for gameplay, Pokemon is Pokemon and I feel like you really learn some fundamental things that are often overlooked about odds maximization, PP stalling, unnecessary plays, etc. in the first few generations, but the newer generations are just generally a lot of risk-vs-reward and NU does not bring too much to the table here that is unique.

Do you think that, so far, the NU Council has done their job well (speaking strictly from a generation seven perspective)? Do you think the council should have more power than it currently does in the later stages of the metagame? Do you believe that the NU metagame is enjoyable right now and do you enjoy teambuilding in the metagame despite doing it far less than actually playing?
Yes, I think so. They did not go too far in banning things initially, but they made it their priority to assure that we had a playable metagame as soon as possible and I have found it very enjoyable over the past few months. I think that the council should have more power to control how suspects or controversial elements are voted on, be it through weighted votes or strictly council votes on matters that the community might not be the appropriate target to have decide things (such as Veil), but sometimes a normal community vote is sufficient.

If you could remove any one element -- be it a Pokemon, move, mechanic, etc. -- from the SM NU metagame without any questions or consequences, that you could not justify removing as a member of the NU Council, what would it be and why?
Aurora Veil or Volt Switch/U-turn.

Finally, a series of less tryhard, more fun questions:

who do you fuckin hate in smogon
I don't really "hate" anyone, actually, but that isn't to say there aren't a bunch of idiots in this community as there are.

whos the shittiest player uve played
Smurf, Laurens, and Johnyiu.

Have you ever considered shaving your eyebrows?
Common misconception: shaving eyebrows does NOT solve anything when it comes to excess eyebrow hair or simply overly-thick eyebrows -- they just grow back in a much less manageable fashion, making the issue even worse. I have gotten my eyebrows threaded now for the past two years or so and they make it so that they appear fairly normal in the 2-3 weeks after, but I have to get them threaded at least monthly and occasionally clip/trim them in order to maintain them. Honestly, my eyebrows being a meme has shot up a bit too much considering that they just do not stand out anymore ever since I started getting them done, but I am glad people have fun with it.

Whats so likable about BW NU I have played it a couple times now for NUPL and well not much more to say about it. (besides what you already said of course)
I think the metagame is incredibly centralized, but not in a "broken" or "uncompetitive" fashion and I find these type of metagames to be the most enjoyable because it gives you a clear goal/set of things to accomplish when teambuilding and it opens up so many creative alleys in order to manage the standard. I think that metagames like this are often hit or miss with people as some simply do not see too deep into things or can never get into the tier seeing as it is harder to learn and get a handle on things when tiers are so centralized, but it is certainly a hit for me and it has been ever since I started playing it back in the BW days themselves.

If you can retest one mon what would it be?
I'm not sure I would retest anything this generation yet -- all of these guys are a bit much for current SM NU, I reckon. I do think that Sawk should be allowed back in ORAS NU, but that is a topic for another thread on another day.

Which NU tierleaders would you rather be stranded on a boat with? and why?
I'd rather swim miles back to shore than be stranded with either of these fuckwits for a prolonged period of time.

If you had to pick couple of newer players in NU you saw in NUPL, who do you think can be the next best thing?
Hootie stands out as the obvious answer for me seeing as he has done quite well and strikes me as one of the best SM NU players out there, but in terms of dudes who have not been in the spotlight as much lately and might not be as obvious of answers, I think that Garay Oak, Eternally, Lax, and Tangelo are some really promising names that could go places if they keep on progressing as players, users, and builders.

TDK, Blunder, ABR, njnp and Omfuga are on the same team with you all of them want to help you build which one would you most likely to pick?
What kind of list is this LOL you got three of the best SM OU players who are all on council and either managing or to-be top 3 picks in Snake and then you got fucking NJNP and Omfuga omg this is like the fucking best example of a "who doesn't belong in this picture" in question form. Anyway, my pick would 100% be one of the first three, but I think TDK is probably the best fit.

How do you go into 50/50's lategame when it matters the most?
I mean I try to optimize my odds each and every game to where I can avoid that, but if push comes to shove and I have to, I just go with what I feel is best I guess. Not like there is any real strategy or method to handling 50/50s lol

Who drew your avatar?
meepsvictory

You're one of the people whose attitude I really like because you're quite the hard-worker and it's incredible the amount of effort you put into everything, be it team/individual tournaments and moderating in general on the forums, do you ever feel tired or give yourself a break?
I mean I try to naturally work in breaks for myself without fully fading away from things. For example, I did not do a ton of OU stuff right after WCOP because I spent a lot of time overlooking my team's SM players and this was even a prolonged break due to my 3k post keeping me from posting a ton. I have never taken a formal break per se, but I certainly pace myself and learn from mistakes when I involve myself with too much (i.e: I joined too many lower tier PLs this year and that is why I needed a bit of a break before and after WCOP just because this game was starting to take over my life). I do tire out, by the way -- late SPL I was a bit burnt out and that carried into the SmogTour season, but usually I play through it and eventually am fine or find an alternative to make it work in the immediate future.

You've also been quite involved in both NeverUsed and OverUsed communities, which one do you feel you're closer to? Do you feel you're a lower tier player, a normal OU player or maybe you consider yourself someone versatile when it comes to playing different tiers?
I feel closer to the NU community because it is much smaller scale, meaning that there are less people and more opportunities to get yourself out there -- I love the feel of it for the most part and I am very glad to be back as an active member of the NU community.

I feel like I am an OU player at heart and I always will be one, but I also like having ties in every tier and those ties just happen to go quite deep into NU and I am glad to be competent at the tier. I do have an OU player mentality and my roots tie back to BW OU, so I think that is the best label for me, especially if you look at my history in terms of playing metagames in tournaments/in general.

Who are your favourite players to watch, do you like them because of the way the play, their overall consistency or just because you like hyping up whoever? It doesn't matter if it is he/she plays ou or lower tiers
McMeghan, Obliviate, and KratosMana as they all have unique takes on things and are not afraid to look outside the box while still remaining optimal, which I view as a really respectable and effective way to approach things.

It's sad that despite your hard work you haven't been able to yet be awarded with a trophy, are you still planning on getting one yourself before one day you quit the site, or do you just enjoy playing this game for fun?
I plan to play this game until college ends for me, which means it will be the middle of 2020. After that, I will evaluate my IRL situation and what truly matters to me and will see how things go. I will actively try to get a trophy (both team and individual) until then, so expect FINCHTOUR to keep going for a while!

And I was wondering, you mentioned you were preparing something for your 3000th post but at last decided not to do it and instead you posted FINCHTOUR 24, what was it?
It was going to be the next OU suspect test, but it got postponed due to a variety of reasons and it will happen in the near future. I settled on FINCHTOUR24 because I felt it was funny to have it as my 3k after all of the build up and it fit part of my forum persona.

Perhaps. If I feel I have time for it and the PU community does not hate me after the Snake thread, then I shall consider.

top 5 wingstop sauces?
In general, I really only get medium or hot, so it is hard to really say I am a big fan of any of the novelty sauces or others.

drums or flats?
Flats.

debone or eat like a real human?
Always the latter -- only freaks debone.

ranch or bleu cheese?
Bleu cheese everyday!

carrots or celery?
neither tbh

who would win in a fistfight: me or meeps
CB DARM

I fucked the week of the player of the week? :trollface:

Fav Oricorio and best komala set
grats

Last edited:

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You seem like a pretty cool guy.

What's your favorite non-OU, non-NU tier ever?

What 2 tiers (from any gens) would you recommend for someone to master if they want to become better overall Pokemon players?

What do you think of DPP NU? I've enjoyed watching your matches in the past and think of you as a solid player in that tier. Do you like it / think it's a good metagame, or do you just play it because it's part of the big NU tourneys now?

What's your favorite underrated DPP NU Pokemon or set?

Purely hypothetically, do you think DPP NU would be better or worse if Skuntank was removed?

Do you have a particular teamstyle or fundamental building strategy that you gravitate towards in every tier that you spend significant time playing, or does it completely depend on the tier?

What NUPL matchups would you have liked to see that didn't happen this year?

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I fucked the week of the player of the week? :trollface:
Heh

Fav Oricorio and best komala set
grats
The fire type one and I don't really use Komala, but let's go with Banded Wood Hammer because why not!

You seem like a pretty cool guy.
Ty :D

What's your favorite non-OU, non-NU tier ever?
BW UU

What 2 tiers (from any gens) would you recommend for someone to master if they want to become better overall Pokemon players?
GSC OU and any BW metagame - two very different tiers that require different skill sets and fundamentals

What do you think of DPP NU? I've enjoyed watching your matches in the past and think of you as a solid player in that tier. Do you like it / think it's a good metagame, or do you just play it because it's part of the big NU tourneys now?
I mean I mainly played it because I needed to for my team, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I think it's a fairly balanced and enjoyable tier, even if Stall teams can sometimes be a pain in the ass to manage. Hopefully it stays in NUPL and I can continue to play and/or test in this tier consistently.

What's your favorite underrated DPP NU Pokemon or set?
Specs Camel

Purely hypothetically, do you think DPP NU would be better or worse if Skuntank was removed?
I think gameplay would be better and more skillful, but building would be more challenging. Overall, I am pretty indifferent to this prospect.

Do you have a particular teamstyle or fundamental building strategy that you gravitate towards in every tier that you spend significant time playing, or does it completely depend on the tier?
I mean a lot depends on opponent and metagame, but often my teams are built around threat + synergetic lure, if that counts. Usually, I wait until I know who I'm playing and what I'm playing and then break it down a lot though.

What NUPL matchups would you have liked to see that didn't happen this year?
Would've loved to see FLCL vs SG in BW or even bo3, but didn't quite work out this year and that's ok - they managed to pair in like every other open anyway lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)