Nonsense Theorymons

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK post it in Pet Mods.
Play on Aqua Server RIGHT NOW!!
http://aqua.psim.us/
Thanks Snaquaza!

Events:

Mini-tournament coming soon! Dark Mage Ewan will help plan it with me. More information to come!

You'll probably have to seek someone out to get a match. Feel free to on the discussion page.

Discuss the metagame here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nonsense-theorymons-metagame-playable-on-aqua-server.3526957/

PLEASE READ RULES CAREFULLY BEFORE POSTING!!

The new 'mons are in! Try them out! We've got 28 now, so there's plenty of selection!
This means round 3 has started! Feel free to submit more ideas!

Oh yeah, have fun running dual walls with the buffed Avalugg!
And did I mention OUR NEW LORD AND SAVIOR yet? No? Good. It'll be a surprise.
On the idea of Theorymons, where every Pokemon is given one change, this new meta... well it does exactly that. With one MAJOR difference.

Any change made doesn't need to fit the flavor of a Pokemon in the slightest. Steel/Bug Metagross? You can do that. Compoundeyes Charizard? Sure. Togekiss with Seed Flare? Why not? Fur Coat Steelix! Well... maybe not.

Mixing concepts of Theorymons and Balanced Hackmons, a Pokemon can be given any one move or ability, or any type change whatsoever, so long as it isn't deemed to be overpowered. Pure/Huge Power, Fur Coat, Wonder Guard, and other powerful abilities will be carefully controlled to avoid overpowering a Pokemon. Geomancy is a non-option, and Quiver Dance will be watched carefully. Pokemon cant always be given Bug/Steel, Ghost/Normal, Steel/Fairy, Water/Ground, Steel/Dragon, or Ghost/Dark. Other moves should also be looked at before implementing a change in the metagame, as well as type changes and abilities, just to be safe. Who knows what combination could be unexpectedly broken?

I'd like this meta to be separated into two distinct parts. One will be initial testing, where the current suspect is tested, and none of the previous changes can be used. The second one, after the suspect is declared not overpowered after testing, is the full Nonsense Theorymons Main Meta, where every alteration is kept for use at any time. As the game changes, old once-approved 'mons may very well end up banned if necessary. This is so the community is able to build it's own meta around a bunch of theories, while still being able to see how it would work in the official meta.

Here are some general rules that each nonsense theorymon suggestion should follow (copied from Theorymons, differences in bold):
  • Don't suggest changes about Pokemon that are already pretty viable in OU. Of course the term 'pretty viable' is open to interpretation, so to be more specific, everything in C+ rank and below in the viability ranking thread is fair game. Also, if a Pokemon is still somewhat viable, less changes are better.
  • Don’t suggest changes that make or may make a Pokemon broken
  • Only theorymon ideas that bring positives to the OU metagame and have useful implications will be picked, which means no limited Huge Power on random Pokemon and other similar buffs.
  • You can add a secondary typing or change primary typing to Pokemon of one type, or change and/or remove the second and/or primary type of a dual-typed Pokemon. Eg. Adding a Dragon type to Raichu, changing Wigglytuff from Normal / Fairy to Normal / Steel, changing Keldeo from Water/Fighting to Electric/Fighting, changing Ariados to a Fairy Type, or changing Charizard to a Rock type. Both types can be changed.
  • Those changes should at the very least not contradict flavor. They don’t have to fit a Pokemon’s flavor perfectly, but don’t suggest a secondary Fire-type for Grass-types for example. Go crazy! Huge Power Blissey! Sturdy Parasect! Wonder Guard Abomasnow! Dark Void Galvantula! Steel/Fighting Doublade! The possibilities are near endless!
  • That said, there are some rules. Huge/Pure Power can only be given to Pokemon with an Attack stat less than 75. Fur Coat may get a similar limitation. Wonder Guard can't be given to any Pokemon with less than 5 weaknesses, and even then, it'll have to be looked at very carefully.
  • Also, it'd be preferred if suggestions didn't fit flavor-wise. This isn't a rule, but will make your suggestion more likely to be approved. Changes should also have competitive value. So don't suggest something like Lick Blissey.
I have decided that one of each change can be added. For example, Keldeo (for some reason, the universal metagame example 'mon) can be given Electric/Fighting, Thunderbolt, and Levitate (if it wasn't already A+, anyway). This is still experimental, and may be subject to change.

Regarding Pokemon that switch forms mid-battle, such as Meloetta and Pokemon with Megas, you may change both formes, unless one is not eligible. For example, you may edit both Ampharos and MAmpharos, but you may only edit Kangaskhan. Pokemon with multiple formes that start in that forme must be changed separately, so you nay not change both Tornadus and Therian Tornadus, only one.

Suggest one per round. ALSO provide some reasoning beforehand for each please. This makes it easier for me to see why a suggestion would be
beneficial to the metagame.
If you have more ideas, save them for next round. Only a few are accepted each round anyway, and spamming suggestions just makes me less likely to pick any of them. Save them for next round, maybe even think them over so they're perfect when the time comes. No sense burning all of your creativity in one shot anyway.

A round is defined as the period in which the community submits ideas, the Nonsense Theorymons council (once one is formed) decides which ones make it, and the previous submissions get tested out.

Remember that any suggestion is just that- a suggestion. Not all will make it. I'm still undecided on the amount of suggestions that should be done and how long testing will last.
Feel free to offer any suggestions to rules, including additions and alterations.
Only one submission for any Pokemon can be picked, if any, and if a Pokemon has already passed, no more submissions for that 'mon can be made. For now, at least.

Also, the new ability replaces ALL other abilities, not just one. This may also change.

Screw it, here's the TL;DR Gold Platinum Edition.
READ IT!! At least, if you didn't read the rest anyway.
One change each to Type, Movepool, and/or Ability. Only one suggestion per round, WITH DESCRIPTION AND REASONING. No Huge/Pure Power on ATK higher than 75. No Fur Coat Blissey. No Wonder Guard on 'mons with less than 5 weaknesses. Highest Pokemon DB ranked defensive types will be looked at carefully. Must be competitively useful and not OP. Fitting a Pokemon's flavor isn't recommended, but is optional. Don't suggest anything above OU C+.

High Watch Types, Abilities, and Moves:
These can still be suggested, but they'll be looked at more closely, and are more likely to be rejected

Steel/Fairy, Steel/Dragon, Normal/Ghost, Steel/Poison, Ghost/Dark, Steel/Flying, Steel/Ghost, Steel/Bug, Steel/Water
Pure/Huge Power, Wonder Guard, Fur Coat, Protean, Prankster, Regenerator, Desolate Land, Primordial Sea, Delta Stream, Rain Dance, Sand Stream, Snow Warning, Drought
Quiver Dance, Topsy Turvy, Sketch

Suggestion Ban List:
Geomancy, Fur Coat Blissey, Early Bird Blissey.

Accepted 'Mons:

I'd recommend coming up with ideas for more defensive 'mons, like Cobalion, Avalugg, Registeel, and Regirock for example. Kill or be killed gets old.

Last edited:
What if we had a Cloud Nine Rayquaza(or is that a thing already)

Poison Heal Galvantula.

Overgrow Gourgeist.

Poison Heal Galvantula.

Overgrow Gourgeist.
Air Lock does the same thing as Cloud Nine, so that change is pointless.

Overgrow Gourgeist? Be more creative. How about Searing Shot Gourgeist? You could give it Flash Fire, but that actually fits flavour (frowned upon in this mod), so how about Grass/Fire Gourgeist with Flare Blitz?

I'd suggest Sheer Force Celebi, but she's already somehow like A- rank in OU (wtf? Grass/Psychic is a terrible defensive typing).

Pure Power Togekiss would be funny, but again, Togekiss is already B rank. Not that I'm convinced Huge Power would actually help it all that much compared to Serene Grace (no movepool and no STAB on Extreme Speed); it'd just be another option. Although you could give it Play Rough as well.

Hustle Dedenne with Hone Claws. Or Huge Power Dedenne if you want it to not make sense.

Mach Punch Chesnaught.

Pixilate Granbull.

Edit: wait, only 1 change per Pokémon, right? Revised a few things, though some still have 2 changes.

Wait. Let me get this straight.
We can unleash our inner creativity.
With limits of overpowering said Pokemon.
Let's.
Do.
This.

Ferrothorn with Toxic Spikes(unoriginal)
Twisted Feet Spinda(is that already a thing)
Bug type Dunsparce.
Aerilate Charizard.
Gengar with Dark Void.
Air Lock Skarmory

Wait. Let me get this straight.
We can unleash our inner creativity.
With limits of overpowering said Pokemon.
Let's.
Do.
This.

Ferrothorn with Toxic Spikes(unoriginal)
Twisted Feet Spinda(is that already a thing)
Bug type Dunsparce.
Aerilate Charizard.
Gengar with Dark Void.
Air Lock Skarmory
Not over-powering them. Just making them more OU viable with non-flavor changes. Like regular theorymons.

Air Lock does the same thing as Cloud Nine, so that change is pointless.

Overgrow Gourgeist? Be more creative. How about Searing Shot Gourgeist? You could give it Flash Fire, but that actually fits flavour (frowned upon in this mod), so how about Grass/Fire Gourgeist with Flare Blitz?

I'd suggest Sheer Force Celebi, but she's already somehow like A- rank in OU (wtf? Grass/Psychic is a terrible defensive typing).

Pure Power Togekiss would be funny, but again, Togekiss is already B rank. Not that I'm convinced Huge Power would actually help it all that much compared to Serene Grace (no movepool and no STAB on Extreme Speed); it'd just be another option. Although you could give it Play Rough as well.

Hustle Dedenne with Hone Claws. Or Huge Power Dedenne if you want it to not make sense.

Mach Punch Chesnaught.

Pixilate Granbull.

Edit: wait, only 1 change per Pokémon, right? Revised a few things, though some still have 2 changes.
Grass/Fire Gourgeist isn't bad, but it is only limited to one change per 'mon. For now, at least. Just think of it as another Theorymons with a bit more freedom.

Poison Heal Galvantula.

Overgrow Gourgeist.
All for Galvantula boosts. However, Rayquaza's already Uber, and unless I ever make Uber viability reduction a thing, that's not gonna happen. Also, as someone said, Overgeist is kinda uncreative. Also, it doesn't sound too competitively helpful.

Last edited:
Not over-powering them. Just making them more OU viable with non-flavor changes. Like regular theorymons.

Grass/Fire Gourgeist isn't bad, but it is only limited to one change per 'mon. For now, at least. Just think of it as another Theorymons with a bit more freedom.

All for Galvantula boosts. However, Rayquaza's already Uber, and unless I ever make Uber viability reduction a thing, that's not gonna happen. Also, as someone said, Overgeist is kinda uncreative. Also, it doesn't sound too competitively helpful.
Reason I wanted to give Gourgeist Flare Blitz is as an actual decent physical Fire STAB. As the original Theorymons quickly discovered, it takes more than just an ability change to make Gourgeist useful. In the case of Theorymons Gourgeist, they tried to give it Flash Fire without adding Shadow Claw (actual Ghost STAB) or Overheat (to abuse Flash Fire) to its moveset. The result did not go over particularly well.

Reason I wanted to give Gourgeist Flare Blitz is as an actual decent physical Fire STAB. As the original Theorymons quickly discovered, it takes more than just an ability change to make Gourgeist useful. In the case of Theorymons Gourgeist, they tried to give it Flash Fire without adding Shadow Claw (actual Ghost STAB) or Overheat (to abuse Flash Fire) to its moveset. The result did not go over particularly well.
So have the Theorymons rules changed? Can you do more than one change? If so, how many?

Get ready for regenerator everything

Lake Trio with Recover
Fur Coat Blissey
Prankster Froslass - owait, that's already been done in a theorymon thread, damn

Still, I think you have a point. I'm officially changing the rules to allow one of each change to be allowed.
That seems for the best to me. Actual Theorymons ended up with silly things like typing changes and Abilities that the Pokémon didn't have the movepool to take advantage of.

Oh and speaking of changes that make absolutely no sense:

Going along with the idea of Water/Ghost Blissey (U Jellicent? Yeah, we Jellicent), how about Water/Ghost Regenerator Blissey with Parting Shot?
There you go folks. The best pivot wall. Also the most nonsensical pivot wall with no Water STAB to speak of (well Water Pulse but ew non-Mega Launcher Water Pulse). At least it has Shadow Ball. Then again, maybe a different typing like Fairy/Ghost might work better? Blissey at least has Dazzling Gleam as STAB for that.

It's unfortunate that Lucario is still somehow B- rank, because Mega Launcher Lucario sounds kind of fun. It's not like he's lacking in Pulse moves. In fact, he gets all of them! Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Heal Pulse, and Water Pulse.

Oh also Parting Shot Rotom (all formes).

Soundproof Meloetta with Boomburst because that low viability makes me sadface. Or you could do something completely non-flavourful, but what that might be I dunno. Certainly, Meloetta appreciates the ability to be unaffected by her own Perish Songs, which lets her spam them for however long she wants. Or of course Bulky Specs with Boomburst spam is a thing, too.
Alternatively, Scrappy Meloetta (and by extension, Meloetta-Pirouette) with Mach Punch sounds pretty scary. The ability to have nothing resist the combination of Close Combat and Return, coupled with STAB priority that can hit things SE, sounds like it'd probably be pretty reliable.

Edit:

Technician Sylveon with Shock Wave. Because something needs to use Draining Kiss viably. (Then again, it is already B-…) Shock Wave is for actual coverage with Technician.

Ice/Steel Filter Glaceon with Flash Cannon.

Last edited:
Get ready for regenerator everything

Lake Trio with Recover
Fur Coat Blissey
Prankster Froslass - owait, that's already been done in a theorymon thread, damn
Don't worry, I'll be controlling things to a degree. Like theorymons, submissions must be approved, and Regenerator will only be approved once or twice at best.

That seems for the best to me. Actual Theorymons ended up with silly things like typing changes and Abilities that the Pokémon didn't have the movepool to take advantage of.

Oh and speaking of changes that make absolutely no sense:

Going along with the idea of Water/Ghost Blissey (U Jellicent? Yeah, we Jellicent), how about Water/Ghost Regenerator Blissey with Parting Shot?
There you go folks. The best pivot wall. Also the most nonsensical pivot wall with no Water STAB to speak of (well Water Pulse but ew non-Mega Launcher Water Pulse). At least it has Shadow Ball. Then again, maybe a different typing like Fairy/Ghost might work better? Blissey at least has Dazzling Gleam as STAB for that.

It's unfortunate that Lucario is still somehow B- rank, because Mega Launcher Lucario sounds kind of fun. It's not like he's lacking in Pulse moves. In fact, he gets all of them! Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Heal Pulse, and Water Pulse.

Oh also Parting Shot Rotom (all formes).

Soundproof Meloetta with Boomburst because that low viability makes me sadface. Or you could do something completely non-flavourful, but what that might be I dunno. Alternatively, Scrappy Meloetta (and by extension, Meloetta-Pirouette) with Mach Punch sounds pretty scary.
To be completely honest, Blissey doesn't have enough offense to use those moves anyway (at least I think so). It's still probably better off running SToss.

Soooooo close, Lucario. Maybe tiers will shift a little?

Unfortunately, as much as I like Meloetta (so kawaii), soundproof and BoomBurst are a little too close to flavor. Though as I said, flavor isn't a deciding factor.

I love Glaceon and Leafeon, so ideas for them are really nice. Ice/Steel Glaceon could be interesting for sure, though doesn't it already get Flash Cannon?

Noivern's still looking like the first suspect. Any ideas for Zygarde and Galvantula are VERY welcome though.

Last edited:
dragon fighting adaptability OR moxie haxorus + cc, and play rough.
idk about. thundurus' viability rank but lets give it sr and sticky web

Don't worry, I'll be controlling things to a degree. Like theorymons, submissions must be approved, and Regenerator will only be approved once or twice at best.

To be completely honest, Blissey doesn't have enough offense to use those moves anyway (at least I think so). It's still probably better off running SToss.

Soooooo close, Lucario. Maybe tiers will shift a little?

Unfortunately, as much as I like Meloetta (so kawaii), soundproof and BoomBurst are a little too close to flavor. Though as I said, flavor isn't a deciding factor.

I love Glaceon and Leafeon, so ideas for them are really nice. Ice/Steel Glaceon could be interesting for sure, though doesn't it already get Flash Cannon?

Noivern's still looking like the first suspect. Any ideas for Zygarde and Galvantula are VERY welcome though.
I know Blissey doesn't have enough offence to actually attack with anything other than Seismic Toss, but my OCD tendencies require Pokémon to at least have a viable STAB move off their better offensive stat, even if they'll never use it.

I know, I thought Glaceon might already get Flash Cannon as well. However, I was quite surprised to learn that it actually does not.

Aerilate Leafeon with Close Combat because Flying/Fighting coverage works best for it, and because it breaks flavour every which way without making too little sense for my OCD to deal with.

Also Stone Edge Cherrim. Realistically Cherrim really needs more than just Stone Edge to help with its lack of coverage and stats, but that seems like a good first step. At least Gen VI gave it a physical STAB in the form of Petal Blizzard. Your question might be "why Physical Cherrim?", to which my answer is Flower Gift. You could give it Diamond Storm instead for less flavour.

Zygarde? Hm… what about Solid Rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)