ORAS PU No Tricks, Just Trick Room

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

What's up everybody and welcome to my first RMT. After PU became official a few weeks ago, I decided to shift my attention and build a team focused around an underrated and uncommon playstyle in PU: Trick Room. This team is pretty solid as the goal is pretty straightforward: set up Trick Room and abuse it with powerful wallbreakers.

The Team

Carbink @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
Carbink acts as the dedicated suicide lead setting up Trick Room and getting up Stealth Rock for my team. If my opponent has Taunt or tries to get up hazards of their own, I click Magic Coat, else I'll set up Trick Room turn 1, then proceed to get up my own Stealth Rock and then explode giving its teammates at least 2-3 turns to abuse Trick Room.

Octillery @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball​

Octillery with Trick Room support can easily punch holes in any team thanks to its wide variety of coverage moves and solid Special Attack stat. Combined with Life Orb and Sniper, it can easily 2HKO any Pokemon not named Lickilicky. Hydro Pump for STAB, Ice Beam bops Jumpluff, Dodrio, Fraxure and other Flying- and Grass-types, Fire Blast hits Roselia and Tangela harder than Ice Beam and also nails Klang, Metang, and Pawniard super effectively, and Energy Ball hits other Water-types mainly Politoed which would wall Octillery otherwise. Originally this had Hidden Power Electric to hit Pelipper and Swanna harder, but I found it uneccessary as either Hydro Pump can 2HKO after Stealth Rock damage bar Specially Defensive Pelipper.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance Brick Break
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
Pawniard is a cool mon as it has a solid typing combined with STAB Knock Off and Sucker Punch which is very nice to have when Trick Room isn't up. It also provides a decent Normal and Flying resist which is an added bonus to have on my team along with being a solid sweeper after a Swords Dance boost. It also benefits from Ursaring wearing down physical walls for it to set up easier.

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Earthquake Seed Bomb
If there is a Pokemon that can hit extremely hard and benefits from Trick Room, Ursaring definetly fits the bill. Backed by a massive Attack stat, great coverage and a solid ability in Guts which makes it can basically 2HKO most of the tier by itself. Earthquake may seem like an odd choice here, but it does allow Ursaring to hit weakened Steel-types without having to rely on Close Combat lowering its defenes with every use. Seed Bomb lets Ursaring get by Relicanth and Golem without having to rely on Close Combat lowering its defenses.

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
Exeggutor provides me with a Water and Ground resist as well as a Trick Room setter and abuser all in one. The nice thing about this set is if you're down to your last turn of Trick Room, simply put your opponent to sleep and reset Trick Room afterwards. It also gives me a Fighting check as it can take a Machoke Knock Off and OHKO with Psychic.

Chimecho @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Healing Wish
- Yawn
- Magic Coat / Psychic
Chimecho may seem like a weird choice for this team, but it does offer some great utility. Chimecho provides me with a Trick Room user as well as a Healing Wish user which is great for one of my teammates to be fully revived and getting 3 turns to abuse Trick Room. Yawn forces switches as it either makes your opponent switch which Chimecho can then set up Trick Room easier or be put to sleep and Healing Wish if Chimecho lives. Magic Coat blocks Taunt and status from affecting Chimecho whereas Psychic lets it not be Taunt bait, but isn't all that neccessary as its main job is to set up Trick Room and Healing Wish next turn.

Former Members

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Shell Armor
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 1 Spe
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]
Before I had Octillery on the team, I opted to go for Torkoal as it has the "Speed" to abuse Trick Room and spamming Eruption all the time was a lot of fun when i first tried it out. However, Getting up Stealth Rock against isn't that difficult to do and being weak to Stealth Rock weakens the power of Eruption, plus it was utterly walled by Pokemon such as Lickilicky, Grumpig, and Zweilous which has seen a rise is usage with Exeggutor dropping.

Final Look

So thats the team. Trick Room may seem unorthodox and a bit difficult to use right away, but it is incredibly fun and provides a different way of battling than using standard balanced teams. Thanks again for reading and I hope you give the team a try!

Carbink @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Octillery @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Seed Bomb

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

Chimecho @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Healing Wish
- Yawn
- Magic Coat / Psychic

vs gasquakee back when I had Torkoal > Octillery: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-289844795
vs Dundies in the PU Seasonal: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-291462925
vs Megazard pretty much Exeggutor coming through in the clutch: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-291577062

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yay flood of PU rmts glad I can do something with this badge

I think it goes without saying that trick room faces a lot of difficulties and random things like Taunt Floatzel are massive issues, but overall you handle most teams well. Opposing Pawniard really suck though. Although it cant OHKO any of your sweepers, with a little prior damage you're forced to play around sucker spam and it can waste turns pretty easily, with your only way of dealing with it really being sleeping with eggy. I think Low Kick Pawniard is basically a necessity here because of this, Swords Dance is also honestly way overrated and sweeps about as reliably as regular pawniard from my experience. Colbur berry on Chimecho is also something that you could consider, that way it can at least set TR on Pawniard plus helps with random Dark Pulse Murkrow/Mightyena/Machoke/FREE THROW. Also not sure how much lefties do, seems like chime is generally foddered for TR a lot. Other than that I think this is solid, you could swap ursa's slots around or change the eggy set a bit (colbur/yache sub maybe), but those all look like more personal preference. Cool team, good luck with not facing random taunt spam

Also custap cant make tr go first bc it has -7 priority, u probably figured that out by now tho

Hey tone, cool team here. TR is really uncommon but fun to use, so I can imagine a lot of people will use this.

First off, I'm going to recommend you change Earthquake --> Seed Bomb on Ursaring. Earthquake isn't really necessary when you have CC, and Seed Bomb allows you to OHKO defensive Relicanth, which allows Pawniard an easier time sweeping.

I'm going to have to agree with what Megazard said, Pawniard is a big problem for this team, so I think it's necessary to change Swords Dance --> Low Kick on Pawniard in order to beat that.

This team really doesn't have many big weaknesses, as you can take most of them on once TR is up, so props on that.

tl;dr

Earthquake --> Seed Bomb

Swords Dance --> Low Kick

Hope I helped :toast:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yay flood of PU rmts glad I can do something with this badge

I think it goes without saying that trick room faces a lot of difficulties and random things like Taunt Floatzel are massive issues, but overall you handle most teams well. Opposing Pawniard really suck though. Although it cant OHKO any of your sweepers, with a little prior damage you're forced to play around sucker spam and it can waste turns pretty easily, with your only way of dealing with it really being sleeping with eggy. I think Low Kick Pawniard is basically a necessity here because of this, Swords Dance is also honestly way overrated and sweeps about as reliably as regular pawniard from my experience. Colbur berry on Chimecho is also something that you could consider, that way it can at least set TR on Pawniard plus helps with random Dark Pulse Murkrow/Mightyena/Machoke/FREE THROW. Also not sure how much lefties do, seems like chime is generally foddered for TR a lot. Other than that I think this is solid, you could swap ursa's slots around or change the eggy set a bit (colbur/yache sub maybe), but those all look like more personal preference. Cool team, good luck with not facing random taunt spam

Also custap cant make tr go first bc it has -7 priority, u probably figured that out by now tho
Hey tone, cool team here. TR is really uncommon but fun to use, so I can imagine a lot of people will use this.

First off, I'm going to recommend you change Earthquake --> Seed Bomb on Ursaring. Earthquake isn't really necessary when you have CC, and Seed Bomb allows you to OHKO defensive Relicanth, which allows Pawniard an easier time sweeping.

I'm going to have to agree with what Megazard said, Pawniard is a big problem for this team, so I think it's necessary to change Swords Dance --> Low Kick on Pawniard in order to beat that.

This team really doesn't have many big weaknesses, as you can take most of them on once TR is up, so props on that.

tl;dr

Earthquake --> Seed Bomb

Swords Dance --> Low Kick

Hope I helped :toast:
Thanks for the rate guys. Yeah opposing Pawniards have been a pain for the most part as while it can't take any of my Pokemon out bar Chimecho, Sucker Punch does wear down my team and playing around it is a pain given the limited number of Trick Room turns plus while testing the team out, I've hardly clicked Swords Dance on Pawniard, so I'll definetly make the switch to Low Kick here. As for Ursaring, Earthquake was mainly more of a filler move for the most part and Seed Bomb does handle Relicanth and Golem without relying on Close Combat, so definitely switching to Seed Bomb here.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hey TONE114
Nice team you got there, Trick Room teams usually don't have a lot of glaring weaknesses, and this isn't an exception, props for that, so my suggestion isn't going to really change the structure of the team, but will be rather focused on providing slight improvement to the team. As others already said, you kind of struggle with opposing Pawniard, giving Low Kick to your own Pawniard is a decent idea, but it will also leave you without a setup sweeper, and all the work Ursaring puts up to weaken and open holes in the opposing team is going to be wasted. Octillery can work as a cleaning tool, but it doesn't have any synergy at all with Ursaring. My suggestion is to replace Pawniard with Swords Dance Monferno. This will provide you a counter to opposing Pawniards, and an insurance against Misdreavus, given that your team also kinds of struggle against Nasty Plot Missy too if Trick Room isn't up. Monferno will still act as a decent setup sweeper that can take advantage of Ursaring breaking through opposing walls, and also still carries a priority, which might be slightly weaker, but more reliable than Sucker Punch, especially on Trick Room teams where you can't risk losing turns to Sucker Punch mind games. Monferno will leave you weaker to Flying-types, but I think that's a decent trade-off as you can still keep Carbink alive to check them and set up Trick Room, or you can run Thunder Wave > Yawn on Chimecho to be even more sure, though I think Yawn will be still more beneficial as it synergyses better with the team. Losing a Normal-type resist isn't that important imo, Pawniard even if it switched in on like a Return from Stoutland, would've been still not able to set up as you would've ran Low Kick, while Monferno can outspeed things such as Stoutland itself without needing Trick Room, also you can save up Carbink and set up Trick Room just like when against Flying-types. Also Monferno helps you way better against Vigoroth if you aren't running Swords Dance on Pawniard. If you try out this change, I still suggest you running speed EVs on Monferno to outspeed the aforementioned Normal-types.
Another Pokemon I struggled against when using this team was Monferno itself, because if Trick Room is down and Octillery in range of Close Combat, it basically dismantles everything. But if you run Monferno over Pawniard, Monferno can't set up on anything outside of Chimecho / Carbink, which are able to pull off a Trick Room in most cases anyway. Can't really change anything about that, but having Monferno yourself can help dealing with opposing Monfernos without boosts, though you need to keep yours/Octillery healthy(possible using Healing Wish Chimecho).

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I havent seen trick room in a while :o

Immediately I can see that the biggest threats are strong faster Pokemon which can KO your setters, such as SD monf and Stoutland. This is hard to fix as trick room is inherently flawed, but also because you cannot pressure faster Pokes well enough. The best way past this would either be adding a fast pokemon, which I dont think would work since you already have one pokemon which does nothing in tr, priority user, but i dont think there is a good option which will help, or strong pokemon which provides more of a defensive presence. Machoke I think could do this, and should replace Ursaring as it is imo the most expendable sweeper, as pawniard is crucial for priority and octillery adds a special attacker. Machoke can not only take hits while healthy (floatzel's hydro, stoutland's return), but it also provides support such as baiting pelipper and tangela for pawniard. Machoke also checks Pawniard well enough so running low kick on your own pawn isn't as necessary. Guts set i feel would be more useful as the increased power of cc helps, and you lost a status absorber I guess. Also of the coverage moves, Ice punch is needed the least imo, as the team pressures roselia well, and though pluff is annoying, pawn sets up on it and the other mons do a lot to it in tr.

Machoke @ Eviolite
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch

GJ on making the first non-rampardos PU trick room team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)