No ban for Baton Pass in UU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one think that the decision to ban baton pass in uu came about for very little reason.
After reading the article: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...pect-see-post-110.3582473/page-8#post-7077292 ; I struggled to find solid reasons as to why the move should be banned on every mon in UU
I have witnessed the pain of NP and SD batton passes first hand but even with them I think there are a number of reasons the move should remain in UU for all mons.

1. Banning baton pass was only considered late into the introduction of Celebi to the UU.
Mons such as Absol, Gligar, Espeon, Mienshao, Durant ect were all capable of baton passing SD and CM in UU for ages which never seemed to raise any issues for the meta. The issue only came about when Celebi was introduced. Celebi may have an advantage over these overs due to its superior bulk, typing and access to both SD and NP.
If this is the solemn reason as to why baton pass had become unhealthy to the meta then either banning Celebi or just banning BP from Celebi should be considered instead.

2. Baton pass is an essential move for providing momentum in teams, not only for passing on boosts.
This is actually how I found out about BP being banned. I have been using a nice set on Umbreon with wish and BP to safely pass on wishes to other mons for sometime. The wish BP is not only a niche but is commonly used on a range of other mons such as Sylveon, Espeon, Vapareon, ect.

Not only is it a helpful move for safely switching in other mons in defensive playstyles but it is a great move for double switching, which is a key strategy employed by all playstyles. Fat and frail mons alike can choose to use BP when they suspect the opposition to switch, allowing them to see which mon the opposition sends in then switch themself, and continue momentum from there. Double Switching is fundamental to generating momentum and by banning BP there will be a serious lack of opportunities for players to do this.

3. Baton pass encourages new and creative sets for all mons.
Many have argued that BP is mostly a niche which isn't needed for mons. Despite this, BP encourages new and creative sets and mons to be introduced to the teir. Such examples are the rare Combuskin, Shedinja, curse pass Umbreon to name but a few. Other mons more common in the teir are capable of running the move with in creative ways as well. Creativity is key for all teirs, as it devopes new sets. Where would tankchomp (OU ik) or the recent subpunch conk be without people experimenting with sets? Experimenting with sets makes playing the meta more interesting (elsewise we'd all be limited to the predictable CroCune for example).
Banning BP will limit creativity in mons and teams alike.

4. Boost passes can easily be stopped with some clever tactics.
Boost passes seem to be the main point of arguement for all those who are against BP. As stated previously I am aware of the pain associated with loosing sweep by a SD or NP BP and have found various ways to avoid this.
- Phasing. UU has a many mons that can use phasing moves such as roar and whirlwind. Suicune and Mega Aggron are just two examples of ever present mons that can easily disrupt boost passes with roar.
- Haze. Many viable UU pokemon also have access to this move such as Tentacruel. When you anticipate a boost pass simply sub in a pokemon with roar or haze and watch all your problems wash away.
- Thinking ahead. If you are reluctant to use these moves in your team then next time you see a boost passing mon think ahead was you can stop them from sweeping you. If the boost passing is too much for your team then you may need to reconsider how you battle or how you teambuild.

For the above stated reasons I think that BP should not be banned in UU and the current clause of:
a Pokémon cannot have Baton Pass while also a move that boosts Speed and a move that boosts another stat, should stay

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You require permission before starting new threads in this subforum. Discussion regarding the metagame belongs in the relevant NP thread, which you linked above, and while this post would have been fine in that thread, it does not belong as a thread on its own here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)