ORAS PU New PU Team

So, I was just playing around with some other PU teams from forums, when I decided I wanted to make my own PU team. Anyway, here it is. ANY suggestions will be much appreciated.

Gogoat @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Horn Leech

Gogoat is just all around a good pokemon in PU. Hes got good health, attack, and move pool. With life orb he gets that little bit of extra damage that he needs. I have horn leech on him so that he doesn't need a leftovers instead of life orb, that way he can max out damage. I have earthquake on him cause he is high attack, and I like to have at least 2 earthquakers per team. Brick break is for killing the annoying steal/normal type pokemon that have some bulk to them. Bulk up is just for extra attack when he gets the chance.

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Protect

Camerupt is a solid grpund/fire pokemon. He is also a special attacker which is something my team was lacking before I added him. Flamethrower is used over eruption because with his low speed he won't be able to keep high health for very long. Flash cannon is amazing for fairy type pokemon. Earth power si what I use against low spd pokemon that are weak to ground, and protect is just all around useful with left overs.

Armaldo @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Superpower

I needed Armaldo for rapid spin. He was also usable for Superpower and knock off though, which was good. Superpower can tear threw Stoutlands, which would otherwise be a threat if they are set up right. Knock off is useful all around for damage and killing tanks with leftovers. Toxic is just a filler move that can sometimes save me.

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Reflect
- Sticky Web
- Toxic

Leavanny was probably the hardest pokemon to choose. I started with ariados, as my sticky webber, but he didn't work. So now I'm rolling with Leavanny, and testing her out. Air slash can sometimes do good damage, but it is mostly for clean up later on, if Leavanny is steal alive. Reflect is amazing in combo with Avalugg, cause then Avalugg takes essentially no damage from physical attackers. Sticky web is the main move I have Leavanny for. Scince my team isnt very fast, I needed a sticky webber to override that flaw. Toxic is to kill the annoying bulky pokemon.

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Curse

Avalugg is amazing for against any physical attacker. He takes hard hits, and brushes them off like its nothing. After 1 or 2 curses, his defense is even better, and he takes almost no damage. He also then has enough attack for avalanche or earthquake to do a ton of damage. Recover is useful after he takes a critical hit.

Articuno @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Toxic
- Water Pulse
- Roost

Articuno is my main special attacker, and is my cleanup worker. He serves as both really well, since he has decent speed, and can deal a bunch of damage. He also tears threw some of the stronger water pokemon with Freeze-Dry. Toxic is something I would love to replace on him, since it isnt very useful. Water Pulse also is my counter against enemy camerupts. And he has enough health that he can take a hit and use roost to get back to full hp.

Like I said earlier, ANY suggestions would be much appreciated.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, timmythy, thanks for posting the team

Though you generally use good Pokemon, quite a few of your sets could be improved upon. For example on Articuno, Water Pulse doesn't provide too much coverage, given that most potential targets are weak to Ice-type anyway, whereas if you were to run Hurricane, a neutral Hurricane would do about 1.5x the damage a super effective Water Pulse would do. A set of Substitute/Roost/Freeze Dry/Hurricane suits it the best, as Substitute can block status and allow Articuno to stall out special walls such as Clefairy which cannot break its Substitute.

Next, the team currently lacks a Stealth Rock Pokemon, yet several Pokemon on the team can learn Stealth Rock. To help you out I think you should run a Specially Defensive Camerupt set with Stealth Rock over Flash Cannon, as Fairy-types aren't very common, and Earth Power hits Rock types. Special defense helps your team take on Ice-types like Rotom-f which give you trouble among other Special attackers. On Gogoat, Brick Break doesn't really hit anything either Horn Leech or Earthquake doesn't, as base 75 isn't very strong, so I suggest you try Milk Drink in order to give it more survivability, helping you check Water-types which Camerupt has trouble with. Additionally, Leftovers would further help this, as Life Orb isn't too important because you are boosting your attack anyway, whereas Gogoat needs help in surviving special hits, so I think giving it some special bulk could help.

As it stands, the team has several weaknesses, for example it is slow, it has trouble wallbreaking, and a few Pokemon give it trouble, such as Monferno. Firstly, to improve you matchup vs bulkier teams, I think you should run Choice Band Golem over Armaldo. Golem still provides you with the benefits of a Normal resist, however Golem can also take on certain Flying-types such as Dodrio, and Golems huge attack stat and amazing STABs mean very little Pokemon can switch into it. Golem lures bulky Grass-types such as Gourgeist which Gogoat usually has trouble with, meaning Gogoat could more easily sweep.

Since that change would remove your entry hazard remover, I think it would be a good idea running Vullaby over Avalugg. Vullaby not only provides you with a more reliable way of removing entry hazards, as Armaldo got warn down easily, but also gives you a lot of help defensively, as it acts a Psychic immunity. Also, it importantly gives you a reliable check to Monferno, which otherwise has a very good matchup against your team, and a solid check to Cacturne, which puts pressure off of Gogoat.

Lastly, to help solve the issue of speed, I think you could try Choice Scarf Mr Mime over Leavanny. The team is too slow to properly make use of Sticky Web, and tbh none of the members could utilise it to its fullest potential, however having a Pokemon outspeed big threats such as Floatzel and Zebstrika is crucial for any team. Mr Mime also gives you a secondary check to Monferno in case something goes wrong with Vullaby, and Healing Wish support it provides could help out Camerupt or Golem.

Gogoat @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink

Camerupt @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Golem @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Sucker Punch

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Vullaby @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Freeze Dry

Hope I helped!

Hi, timmythy, thanks for posting the team

Though you generally use good Pokemon, quite a few of your sets could be improved upon. For example on Articuno, Water Pulse doesn't provide too much coverage, given that most potential targets are weak to Ice-type anyway, whereas if you were to run Hurricane, a neutral Hurricane would do about 1.5x the damage a super effective Water Pulse would do. A set of Substitute/Roost/Freeze Dry/Hurricane suits it the best, as Substitute can block status and allow Articuno to stall out special walls such as Clefairy which cannot break its Substitute.

Next, the team currently lacks a Stealth Rock Pokemon, yet several Pokemon on the team can learn Stealth Rock. To help you out I think you should run a Specially Defensive Camerupt set with Stealth Rock over Flash Cannon, as Fairy-types aren't very common, and Earth Power hits Rock types. Special defense helps your team take on Ice-types like Rotom-f which give you trouble among other Special attackers. On Gogoat, Brick Break doesn't really hit anything either Horn Leech or Earthquake doesn't, as base 75 isn't very strong, so I suggest you try Milk Drink in order to give it more survivability, helping you check Water-types which Camerupt has trouble with. Additionally, Leftovers would further help this, as Life Orb isn't too important because you are boosting your attack anyway, whereas Gogoat needs help in surviving special hits, so I think giving it some special bulk could help.

As it stands, the team has several weaknesses, for example it is slow, it has trouble wallbreaking, and a few Pokemon give it trouble, such as Monferno. Firstly, to improve you matchup vs bulkier teams, I think you should run Choice Band Golem over Armaldo. Golem still provides you with the benefits of a Normal resist, however Golem can also take on certain Flying-types such as Dodrio, and Golems huge attack stat and amazing STABs mean very little Pokemon can switch into it. Golem lures bulky Grass-types such as Gourgeist which Gogoat usually has trouble with, meaning Gogoat could more easily sweep.

Since that change would remove your entry hazard remover, I think it would be a good idea running Vullaby over Avalugg. Vullaby not only provides you with a more reliable way of removing entry hazards, as Armaldo got warn down easily, but also gives you a lot of help defensively, as it acts a Psychic immunity. Also, it importantly gives you a reliable check to Monferno, which otherwise has a very good matchup against your team, and a solid check to Cacturne, which puts pressure off of Gogoat.

Lastly, to help solve the issue of speed, I think you could try Choice Scarf Mr Mime over Leavanny. The team is too slow to properly make use of Sticky Web, and tbh none of the members could utilise it to its fullest potential, however having a Pokemon outspeed big threats such as Floatzel and Zebstrika is crucial for any team. Mr Mime also gives you a secondary check to Monferno in case something goes wrong with Vullaby, and Healing Wish support it provides could help out Camerupt or Golem.

Gogoat @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink

Camerupt @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Golem @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Sucker Punch

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Vullaby @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Freeze Dry

Hope I helped!

Thanks for the help! I'll try the changes out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)