TORMENTDON
Bastiodon@ Leftovers
252HP/4 Def/ 252Sp.def
Calm Nature (+Sp.Def,-Atk)
- Torment
- Protect
- Substitute
- Roar/Swagger/Toxic/Taunt

Perhaps the most deadliest of all tormenters, this Bastiodon plays a lot like the Tormentran of OU as it has similar resistances and weaknesses but much better defenses.This set works best in a sandstorm as it boosts Bastiodons already awesome special defense by x1.5. Generally, come in on one of its numerous resistances or any neutral special attack and force the other pokemon out (e.g. Swellow, Arcanine, Venusaur etc.). Substitute as they switch to their Fighting/Ground attack user. Use Torment as they break your sub, followed with a protect to negate the following attack. Then, Bastiodon can set up another substitute while they switch to a neutral or resisted move (or struggle if they are choiced), then utilize a combination of protect followed by swagger/roar to destroy the opposing team. This set works especially well in conjunction with toxic spikes, or spikes if using roar.

[SET]
Name: Endure Salac
Nature: Adamant/Jolly@Salac Berry
Evs:252atk/252speed/
IVs: 0HP/0Def/0spDef
Move1: Endure
Move2: Reversal
Move3: Blazekick/Firepunch
Move4: Thunderpunch/StoneEdge

-The whole idea of using this Blaziken is to have it come in safely or send in blaziken and scare your oppenents pokemon away and force a switch and have them send out a counter and have blaziken use endure on a powerful OHKO attack. The salac berry should then activate and boost your speed and you will have a max power 150BP STAB reversal to deliver your opponent and have Blaze activated to deliver powerful Blazekicks and Firepunches to your opponent.
-Blaziken would hate coming in on toxic spikes so having a rapid spinner is necessary.
-This set hates facing priority users such as donphan so having a check or lures for this pokemon and finishing them of will be useful.
-Donphans with EQ and iceshard counter this set entirely. They will EQ Blaziken as it uses endure, then iceshard you while u have 1 hp left.
- Thunderpunch and StoneEdge are here to take care of flying types suck as mantine and pelliper who resist who resist the fire fighting combo.
-A super effective Firepunch deals about 1.5x the damage as a neutral reversal (assuming 1hp) and with blaze activated which isnt too impresive but has 100% accuracy. Blaze kick gets to a much higher power +stab and blaze when its super effective coming to a power of 405 (with high crit. ratio) while firepunch goes to 337.5 BP and a neutrally effective reversal @ 1hp goes to 225 BP. (all calculations factored stab and Blaze). Thunderpuch could work better than stoneEdge and its only use will be for mantine and pelliper and if you do use this set in OU it will hit gyrados hard. Stonedge hits altaria harder than reversal and blaze kick and in OU its only purpose would be to hit Dragonite. Otherwise reversal hits water types harder than thunderpunch and blazekick/firepunch hits harder than reversal only if they are super effective. Reversal goes to 450 BP if it deals suppereffective damage so i feel sorry for the pokemon that are 4x week to fighting such as aagron.
Please let me know if I should post this set on QC. Thanks!

Much better defenses. Much more terrible typing (and typing is why Heatran works). Much worse speed to use support options Much worse offenses, and no lava plume for the burn chance.

Combine to make a bad set for a terrible pokemon.

Bastiodon is a no-no, in every tier currently in existence. (Except maybe Terrorist Cup, but whatever)

Just going down the UU list, Absol, Altaria, Ambipom, Arcanine, Claydol, Donphan, Dugtrio, Feraligatr, Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Kabutops, Mesprit, Milotic, Nidoking, Scarf-Rotom, Slowbro, Slowking, Toxicroak, Uxie, Weezing, 20 of the 50 UUs, can come in after you manage a kill and either force you out, take a hit and hit back for a kill, or use priority to kill you. The sheer prevalence of priority in UU makes it difficult for low hp sweepers to thrive. A simple set with Substitute and Leftovers with Fire Blast, Superpower, and some coverage move would do more damage. Another problem is that Endure is extremely unreliable. If you try to Endure a hit, and the opponent uses, say Taunt, Swords Dance or even Thunderwave, your strategy could be ruined.

In short, I have other uses for my Blaziken than something that does to a poke in the back.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I faced this one guy who actually kind of did something with it...it got 25% on my SR weak sweeper by using Roar lol. Unfortunately, I was able to switch-in something bulky with a move to OHKO it without any fear whatsoever. This scenario is unsurprisingly common and the main reason Bastiodon will never be useful in UU.

But idk man, there's something about Bastiodon I just like. Still not sure what it is, and not sure I want to go through the frustrating process of finding a usable set that an even better Pokemon can't utilize.

Heres a set, Bulky DD Tropius (for NU play)

Tropius @ Lifeorb/Leftovers
- Dragon dance
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Roost
EVs: 252HP/40atk/216spd
Jolly Nature

Basically, the aim of this Tropius is to set up on a few weak special attackers like bulky water Milotic and roost off the damage while simultaneously dragon dancing. Earthquake and Fly give perfect coverage in UU and both deal heavy damage after a couple of DDs. Life orb is preferred for a boost in power but leftovers suits the theme of a bulky dancer as well as providing extra bulk (Leaf Blade is illegal with dragon dance). Roost is for survival and sheds rock and halves ice weaknesses for a turn letting Tropius set up more DDs. The EVs are quite straightforward, 252 in HP allow tropius to take a few unboosted neutral attacks, 216 speed with a jolly nature to outrun +spe 95s after a boost and the rest goes into attack for more offensive power. Anyway, although this set seems gimmicky, I worked with it to some level of success and is played similarly to bulky DD altaria in UU and Bulky gyarados/dragonite in OU.

There is no reason to use that Tropius set over Defensive DDance Altaria, who's faster, boasts better STAB and bulk, and can support the team with Heal Bell. Fly is a pretty crappy move anyway as it gives the opponent a chance to switch in their counter.

There is no reason to use that Tropius set over Defensive DDance Altaria, who's faster, boasts better STAB and bulk, and can support the team with Heal Bell. Fly is a pretty crappy move anyway as it gives the opponent a chance to switch in their counter.
there is no "defensive DD altaria" in NU

With the new introduction of heracross to UU, I've found a fairly fun and effective set.

Jolly Heracross @ Life Orb
4HP/252Atk/252Spe
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Megahorn
-Low Kick

Basically, this provides a venusaur counter, status absorber, wallbreaker and more. LO + Guts does stupid amounts of damage to even resisted or neutral targets with just your stabs, and most walls simply can't do enough damage to heracross before you rest it off.

Against offensive/balanced teams: come in against venusaur/other grass types as well as status and support moves, check things like non-psycho cut absol, kill off milotic etc. Outspeeds a lot of the pokes on balanced teams and puts holes in a lot of things.

Against stall teams: You're largely unkillable to most of the walls due to decent bulk and rest. Come in on something like registeel, chansey, defensive milotic or more. From there fire off powerful attacks, rest to recover damage from LO and hazards and the opponent's attacks. You get heavily boosted attacks to help wear down things like weezing before they can beat you.

Team options: Make sure you have good answers to flying and poison types, obviously. SR support is huge to cripple moltres. Kabutops has excellent synergy and keeps the momentum up, in particular, as well as setting up SR.

Heres a set, Bulky DD Tropius (for NU play)

Tropius @ Lifeorb/Leftovers
- Dragon dance
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Roost
EVs: 252HP/40atk/216spd
Jolly Nature

Basically, the aim of this Tropius is to set up on a few weak special attackers like bulky water Milotic and roost off the damage while simultaneously dragon dancing. Earthquake and Fly give perfect coverage in UU and both deal heavy damage after a couple of DDs. Life orb is preferred for a boost in power but leftovers suits the theme of a bulky dancer as well as providing extra bulk (Leaf Blade is illegal with dragon dance). Roost is for survival and sheds rock and halves ice weaknesses for a turn letting Tropius set up more DDs. The EVs are quite straightforward, 252 in HP allow tropius to take a few unboosted neutral attacks, 216 speed with a jolly nature to outrun +spe 95s after a boost and the rest goes into attack for more offensive power. Anyway, although this set seems gimmicky, I worked with it to some level of success and is played similarly to bulky DD altaria in UU and Bulky gyarados/dragonite in OU.

Most Milotic run Ice beam ;p I like the set though but there isn't nearly enough pokemon played in UU to give you the go ahead to set up.

Also here is the Spiritomb I've grown fond of lately:

Spiritomb@leftovers
-Shadow sneak
-Will-o-wisp
-Physic
-Pursuit
200HP/120ATT/70DEF/120SP.DEF
Sassy nature

My primary ghost trapper. Set is effective on nearly anything it hits SE. Sub encore Alakazam cannot beat this.

Alakazam used substitute
Somalia brings in Spritiomb
Alakzam uses signal beam or encore w.e
Spiritomb Uses Pursuit
Next turn I shadow sneak before they hit with another move.

Physic isn't really all that useful but it let's me hit Toxicroak hard and of course does respectable damage to other sweepers such as Blazikein,Heracross and Hitmon family.

Also it will let Spiritomb harm Swellow.
Its not the biggest concern but it has always been a thorn in my side when using Spiritomb with Shadow Sneak over Sucker Punch.
Not my durability in this Spiritomb which is fine if you just want to trap.

Also here is the Spiritomb I've grown fond of lately:

Spiritomb@leftovers
-Shadow sneak
-Will-o-wisp
-Physic
-Pursuit
200HP/120ATT/70DEF/120SP.DEF
Sassy nature

Physic isn't really all that useful but it let's me hit Toxicroak hard and of course does respectable damage to other sweepers such as Blazikein,Heracross and Hitmon family.
Physic?

Psychic, typing error..never seen one before?

Also it will let Spiritomb harm Swellow.
Being able to hit priority on swellow is not an issue for me at all, why alter a move just to hit one pokemon for priority? Also if your pointing out that Tomb makes a good counter to Swellow it doesn't, at all. Furthermore you should have a solid defensive wall to be taking those kind of hits not Spiritomb.

Being able to hit priority on swellow is not an issue for me at all, why alter a move just to hit one pokemon for priority? Also if your pointing out that Tomb makes a good counter to Swellow it doesn't, at all. Furthermore you should have a solid defensive wall to be taking those kind of hits not Spiritomb.
Yeah i really should have been clearer.
I wasn't saying Tomb is a good counter to swellow, infact i was saying the exact opposite; its set up bait. Tomb seems to suck swellow to him. Psychic can be a good way to hit him on switch which shadow sneak/sucker punch/pursuit all can't. Or it can hit him before flame orb activates, it can probs take an unboosted brave bird.

This Spiritomb fits well as a pivot on an offensive team which doesnt carry things like registeel / regirock/ steelix or even rhyperior (more viable) which can switch into swellow repeatedly.

Yeah i really should have been clearer.
I wasn't saying Tomb is a good counter to swellow, infact i was saying the exact opposite; its set up bait. Tomb seems to suck swellow to him. Psychic can be a good way to hit him on switch which shadow sneak/sucker punch/pursuit all can't. Or it can hit him before flame orb activates, it can probs take an unboosted brave bird.

This Spiritomb fits well as a pivot on an offensive team which doesnt carry things like registeel / regirock/ steelix or even rhyperior (more viable) which can switch into swellow repeatedly.
Yep agreed. Also Spiritomb can take Boosted Brave bird ;p

I was thinking on using the Subseeder Venusaur set w/Body Slam, but Body Slam happens to be a 3rd generation tutor move only, so in my quest of using said set i found Meganium, who learns Body Slam leveling and is bulky enough to make it work, giving him something unique. I'm having trouble figuring out what the EV distribution should be. Max HP is a must, but i don't know if split EVs into both defenses or focus into one.

Meganium @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Body Slam
- Seed Bomb
EVs: 252HP
Careful Nature

Meganium isn't going to be sweeping teams, but the Subseeder/B.Slam combo seems annoying enough to work as a team player strategie, paralizing opponent pokes and forcing switches.

By the way, i'm playing in HG and this intended for Wifi playing.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, here is one of the most effective anti-leads I have seen being used.

Gallade@Life orb / Expert belt (if you want to bluff choice)
Close Combat (obvious for stab)
Leaf Blade (OHKOs Swampert, that's pretty much it, alternatives are encore / sleep talk)
Zen Headbutt (It OHKOs machamp, with expert belt it's not 100%, and it has to be used over psycho cut to ensure the OHKO)
Shadow Sneak (Provides valuable priority and allows you to beat azelf / aerodactyl)

Azelf is beaten with shadow sneak * 2
Aerodactyl is beaten with close combat + shadow sneak only allowing them to either set up stealth rock or taunt.
Swampert is easily OHKOed
Machamp is easily OHKOed
Metagross is tough, but you win if they stealth rock first turn, lose if they meteor mash you twice. Close combat is a THKO.
Hippowdon, you can't really.. do anything unless you run taunt / encore and leaf blade isn't a THKO, not to mention CC outdamages leaf blade and even that doesn't THKO.
Gengar may switch into you to revenge or as a lead, if they sub expecting you to switch because shadow sneak puts them into a hp range preventing a sub, shadow ball is a THKO I believe.
Yanmega is a lead you can do nothing against.
Ninjask is a lead you can do nothing against.
Heatran - CC is a swift OHKO
Infernape is tough, you may win because they won't expect your priority so CC + shadow sneak.

Main problems
You will lose to most sleep leads unless you heavily pump speed/run lum berry or taunt/encore and even then you still won't outpace Roserade.

And you will lose unequivocally to Dragonite anti-leads unless you run something like will-o-wisp.

@ Poppycock: Uh.. that's neat and all, but I don't think any of those Pokémon are UU. Reading the title of the thread is key. ;D

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Woops. Good for OU though, instead...

Kangaskhan @ Leftovers (Lead) / Scrappy
252Atk / 252 HP / 4 Speed.

Fake Out
Counter
Focus Punch
Endeavour / Sucker Punch

Fake out first turn eliminate sashes.
Second turn if you think they're going to attack you use counter if not then use focus punch. After countering a hit assuming you survive (Sash is an alternative but I believe old kangy is stable enough) You can sucker punch for the kill or endeavour if you predict a switch / non-attacking move

This is a Lead Exeggutor set i've been using with success.

Exeggutor @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Leaf Storm
- Energy Ball

Stops most common leads, especially spikers. Everytime I face a Uxie/ Mesprit I just Sleep Powder as they use Trick or Stealth Rocks.

Right, I have some pokes on my team, with some moves that I really don't get to use that often. The thing I really need to know here is which of the listed moves will be better, or if there's another move that would fill that slot better (i don't want changes in EVs, natures and such, the role of the poke remains the same).

Basically I just need my pokemons movesets optimized.

The pokemon in quesion will be as follows:

Donphan

Hariyama

Registeel

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Speed
Nature: Adamant
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Assurance (move in question, potential replacement - Stone Edge)

Right, so this is my lead poke. It's basically there to set up stealth rocks and switch out for the late-game.

Earthquake is for obvious STAB, so no reason to talk too much on that one.

Ice Shard is mostly for flying leads or picking off weakened flying/grass types.
Assurance is for ghost and psychic types, especially levitating psychics such as Uxie and Mesprit, but also for ghosts such as Mismagius.

What I basically want to know here, is Assurance preferable over Stone Edge? The only way i can see Assurance being better, is if a Psychic type switches in on it after you have rocks up, but that just doesn't happen that much i find.

Also, i feel like i'll have a better shot against flyers with the combo of Stone Edge/Ice Shard, while still being able to hit ghosts and levitating psychics quite hard if needed.

Hariyama @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 Special Def
- Fake Out
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch (Move in question, possible replacement - Payback)

So this guy is one of my late game sweepers. He can easily come in and pick of weakened pokes with Fake Out + Bullet Punch, and rip holes in all but ghosts with Facade + Close Combat.

Fake Out is there mostly to get Toxic going, and to just get a bit of free damage on later switch-ins.

Facade hits everything that resists Close Combat, extremely hard. It's also a nice choice to have, if you're certain that Facade can take out something that you'd normally use Close Combat for. It just saves you that def/Sp. Def drop.

Close Combat is the obvious STAB move, chosen over Brick Break, Cross Chop and Force Palm because of the accuracy and power.

Bullet Punch is as mentioned the move in question. It IS nice for picking off pokes combined with Fake Out, but it doesn't really happen often enough to warrant the moveslot. Besides, i already have 2 other pokes with prio moves so it's not really that important. Also, it doesn't have a shot in hell to kill a ghost type, which just counter my Hari completely.

Hence me wondering about swapping BP with Payback. Just to be able to hit those Ghosts and Psychics on the switch and then make me able to sweep on. I'm not choosing to replace Facade, since Hari really needs to one-shot everything he gets a shot at, and he wont do that to a flying/poison type with Payback.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Sp. Def
Nature: Careful
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch (Move in question, possible replacement - Iron Head)

Ahh registeel, how I love you. This guy is my wall for everything, but mostly specials. He's a double status one, which really has served me well, as he stops any setup sweepers from staying in. He's also jsut great for taking down any wall really, since he can't be poisoned himself, and his great defenses + lefties keep him in long enough for most walls to die.

Toxic is his main damage source. Its stops any setup poke that can get poisoned from staying in, helps kill bulky pokes, and just works really well with Registeels longevity.

Thunder Wave is for the fast but weak pokes. It lets my heavy hitters come in and destroy those who would otherwise outspeed them, and it gives me an alternate status for various Steel/poison types.

Earthquake is for previously mentioned Steel/Poison types, that cant be hit by Toxic. Also, very few things resist it, so it's just good for extra damage in general.

Ice Punch is the move in question. The reason this Registeel has Ice Punch, is that he was actually made for OU back before Garchomp (and later Salamence) went to Uber. Almost everything had to have an ice move, but now there are almost no dragons left, and i'm now using him for UU (with even less dragons).

The move i'm thinking of using instead is Iron Head. Still hits Altaria and flyers with only a 30 power drop, but just also hits everthing else that much harder. I already have several other pokes with ice type moves, so this one doesn't really need it anymore. On this one, do tell me if you have an alternative that is even better than Iron Head, as it was the first thing on my mind TBH.

I know that was a lot =) But you don't have to answer them all. 1 or 2 is fine (would love 3 though ^^).

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Speed
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Assurance (move in question, potential replacement - Stone Edge)

Right, so this is my lead poke. It's basically there to set up stealth rocks and switch out for the late-game.
This set is already widely used, it isn't new or creative ;p

Kangaskhan @ Leftovers (Lead) / Scrappy
252Atk / 252 HP / 4 Speed.

Fake Out
Counter
Focus Punch
Endeavour / Sucker Punch
The problem with this set is that almost all Leads will usually set up entry hazards in the first turn/ first few turns. In addition to that if Endeavour is to be used I suggest a Focus sash. Perhaps Focus Punch+Substitute will work better or even replace Counter with Return.

This set is already widely used, it isn't new or creative ;p
Sorry for the confusion, but i just couldn't find another place to post for help on improving a moveset.

I asked in the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread and was directed here, so it's not really meant to be new or creative tbh :)

If there is a place better suited for this, do tell ^^

Okay, here is one of the most effective anti-leads I have seen being used.

Gallade@Life orb / Expert belt (if you want to bluff choice)
Close Combat (obvious for stab)
Leaf Blade (OHKOs Swampert, that's pretty much it, alternatives are encore / sleep talk)
Zen Headbutt (It OHKOs machamp, with expert belt it's not 100%, and it has to be used over psycho cut to ensure the OHKO)
Shadow Sneak (Provides valuable priority and allows you to beat azelf / aerodactyl)

Azelf is beaten with shadow sneak * 2
Aerodactyl is beaten with close combat + shadow sneak only allowing them to either set up stealth rock or taunt.
Swampert is easily OHKOed
Machamp is easily OHKOed
Metagross is tough, but you win if they stealth rock first turn, lose if they meteor mash you twice. Close combat is a THKO.
Hippowdon, you can't really.. do anything unless you run taunt / encore and leaf blade isn't a THKO, not to mention CC outdamages leaf blade and even that doesn't THKO.
Gengar may switch into you to revenge or as a lead, if they sub expecting you to switch because shadow sneak puts them into a hp range preventing a sub, shadow ball is a THKO I believe.
Yanmega is a lead you can do nothing against.
Ninjask is a lead you can do nothing against.
Heatran - CC is a swift OHKO
Infernape is tough, you may win because they won't expect your priority so CC + shadow sneak.

Main problems
You will lose to most sleep leads unless you heavily pump speed/run lum berry or taunt/encore and even then you still won't outpace Roserade.

And you will lose unequivocally to Dragonite anti-leads unless you run something like will-o-wisp.

Thats scary because I run a VERY similar lead gallade but I run CB and Focus Punch does about 90% HP usually on Metagross O_O and I LOVE shadow sneak no one expects it xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)