Garchomp (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Standard Garchomp with Groundium Z to both take out bulky threats like Muk or Metagross, and to get around Grassy Terrain if it's out. Dragon claw deals with Salamence and Garchomp, as well as Drampa. Poison jab deals with Bulu, and Protect because I'm not running rock slide since I have focus sash on Pelipper.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Trick Room

Another standard P2. Trick room just in case I run into another TR team and need to turn it off, Recover for sustain, Ice beam for Dragon coverage and bulky grass coverage as well as Ground coverage. Thunderbolt for synergy with electric terrain and for a second pokemon that can deal with Celesteela since I don't run any fire types QQ

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder
- Protect

ELECTRICITY BABY! Thunder because most likely I'll be in rain when Koko is out and that extra damage means a lot. Discharge when I'm partnered with Garchomp, and Protect for the same reason. Dazzling gleam to kill dragons and dark types and fighting types. Not sure about LO but it helps get that extra bit of damage now and then.

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Tailwind

Rain setter! Focus sash to ensure a tailwind is set, hurricane to synergize with rain and deal with grass types and fighting types. Scald for STAB and killing fire or rock or ground types. Protect in case I'm partnered with Koko

Kartana @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Night Slash

Really not sure about AV but it's what I have so far. Leaf blade and Smart strike are stabs and Sacred Sword is to kill P2 or anything Leaf Blade and Smart Strike can't. Night Slash is filler but I've occasionally used it to kill Marowak, so that's nice.

Muk-Alola @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Taunt

I'll be honest. I might take out Muk for something else. It's definitely good, and Knock off is a godsend for dealing with P2, but other than that...there hasn't been too many situations where it's been useful. Regardless, it has poison coverage to deal with Fairies.

I would recommend running Golduck to take full advantage of rain. This is the standard set, you could try others but usually this works:

Golduck @ Waterium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

I'd put this instead of Garchomp, because rain-boosted Hydro Vortex KOs most of the same threats you'd want to Tectonic Rage, while Ice Beam hits dragons and grass types fairly hard.

I personally would keep Muk, I like it to hit opposing Tapus, to remove Eviolite from P2, and to hit Oranguru extremely hard. I would probably change your spread a bit, mainly just running more attack - 92 EVs with an adamant nature is an amount I like, since it gives you a good roll to OHKO Tapu Koko with the poison chance and still leaves enough EVs for bulk. Unless there's some particular calc you wanted the max special bulk for, in which case go ahead and keep it.

Kartana should usually run a bulkier EV spread to take advantage of the Assault Vest, plus max attack doesn't actually get that many new OHKOs and 2HKOs. Diminishing returns and all that. I like 36 HP / 52 Atk / 4 Def / 164 SpD / 252 Spe for these two calcs:
252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 36 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Kartana in Rain: 117-138 (84.1 - 99.2%)
52 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 174-206 (98.3 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

There are other spreads out there that may work better for your team, but in my opinion you should definitely run enough bulk to survive Z-Hydro Pump from opposing Golduck.

So I tried Golduck, and I think making a rain/trick room team is something I just don't know how to do properly, I'm still lacking ways to KO certain threats like Tapu Koko or what not, not to mention outside of Kartana I have no actual guaranteed way to get rid of bulky waters, since most teams with bulky waters run Marowak or Togedemaru to deal with Koko.

I think rather than do a Rain team AND a TR team at the same time, you should focus on Rain alone.

Now while Golduck is nice and all, you need a backup way to get rain going if yours is negated by either ninetails, gigalith or torkoal.

What would be good for you if you started with a core of Pelipper, Golduck and Kartana, would be to take maybe Marowak-A with rain dance. This way you have a great counter to opposing weather, a lightningrod user to protect your ducks, and then add a couple more of your pokemon from earlier, avoiding Porygon 2, just food for thought

So I tried Golduck, and I think making a rain/trick room team is something I just don't know how to do properly, I'm still lacking ways to KO certain threats like Tapu Koko or what not, not to mention outside of Kartana I have no actual guaranteed way to get rid of bulky waters, since most teams with bulky waters run Marowak or Togedemaru to deal with Koko.
Hydro Vortex from Golduck should OHKO Tapu Koko provided they aren't AV or Sash and you still have rain up.
252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko in Rain: 264-312 (180.8 - 213.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And if you hit a Protect you can KO with Scald next turn.

Why did you decide to add Trick Room to this team, anyway? If you only wanted it to reverse opposing TR, then you might be better off replacing P2 with something faster that can stop TR from going up in the first place, especially if it isn't working for your playstyle. That slot (or the Muk slot) could also be used to patch up some of your other weaknesses, like the Tapu Koko weakness or the bulky water + Marowak weakness.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)