Gen 3 Need help with my Rain Dance team

I'm looking to create a GEN 3 only Rain Team.
I'm quite a newbie at creating good and balanced teams & am looking for improvements to this team which I feel is currently very one-sided & weak.
Thank you in advanced.

Electrode @ Damp Rock
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Explosion
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Taunt

Electrode is my lead pokemon. Quite a standard pokemon for this role but I feel that in gen 3 he does quite a good job. Is able to set up Rain Dance quite easily due to its speed. Then it can exit easily and do damage using explosion. The damp rock is there to prolong the amount of turns the rain goes for.
Taunt is used to counter those annoying sub pokemon which keep stacking up stats. For example: Espeon.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace

Kabutops is my physical sweeper. Swift swim gives him double his speed, allowing him to make the first move and OHKO pokemon. Aerical ace is there to counter grass type pokemon who are 4x effective to him. The Sword Dance is there to obviously boost his atk stats making him hit even harder. Brick break I chose over rock slide due to the fact that I wanted it to easily be able to take down Blissey or Chansey.
Waterfall gives it a STAB move and obviously when the rain is falling at the same time is incredibly powerful, capable of OHKO-ing many offensive pokemon. Life orb is used for even more damage.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Surf
- Brick Break
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Ludicolo is my special atk sweeper. Surf is STAB and allows him to OHKO quite a few pokemon. The brick break is there to also deal with tanky normal types like Snorlax, Chansey & Blissey. The ice beam is there to cover flying, ground, grass types, etc. I just think Ice Beam gives it good coverage. Giga drain is also allows Ludicolo to take out other water types when matched up with them. Particularly Swampert. Life orb is used for more damage.

Starmie @ Damp Rock
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Surf
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is my rapid spinner and rain dance setter-upper. I think it servers as a great support and is able to get rid of things like spikes, stealth rocks and toxic spikes very efficiently. The natural cure ability allows Starmie to easily get rid of toxic spikes no problem. Surf and Thunder are there so that Starmie has the ability to take out pokemon if the situation allows it too. Its high SpAtk and Speed also allow it too effectively sweep. Making Starmie a quite versatile pokemon which I think fits in well.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Surf
- Icebeam

Kingdra is my second SpAtk Sweeper. Rain Dance allows it to set up and use its swift swim ability to its advantage if rain isn't already going. Surf is STAB and obviously allows it to take out a wide variety of pokemon. (I do favor surf over hydro pump because of its accuracy and the fact that you don't have to wait a turn and take a hit.) Hidden Power [Electric] allows it to take out gyarados who I run into often in this GEN 3 OU. Icebeam is for taking out other dragon types and grass types that Kingdra may run into.

Lanturn @ Damp Rock
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Surf
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam

Lanturn is one of the pokemon I was a little iffy about putting on to this comp. However, the reason I put it on here is due to its volt absorb. Lanturn allows me to safely switch out into an opposing electric type pokemon without the fear of being OHKO-ed. Rain dance is there to set up, surf is for STAB, and Icebeam is there for coverage. Thunder is also used due to how powerful it is in the rain.

I know this team probably has a HUGE amount of flaws but honestly I'd be very grateful if you guys could help me create a more balanced team. Which could win quite a decent amount of games in OU. I've found very moderate success with this composition, usually due to me versing another very inexperienced player with an also very one-sided team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)