SPOILERS! Necrozma Dusk Mane/Dawn Wing [If it wasn't obvious spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I've decided to be a masochist and attempt to work the loser of all this, Necrozma-DW. I guess you can use it to pass Moongeist onto Ultra, or fake a special set then Swords Dance + Ultra (you'd be really desperate to do this), but I'm gonna talk about the vanilla forme. Basically it has approximately two things over Lunala - Rock Polish and Stealth Rock. Rock Polish may be a tall order due to its lack of coverage and vulnerability to SSneak/Sucker, but Stealth Rock might get us somewhere...

Necrozma-DW @ Lunalium-Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind
- Moongeist Beam
- Power Gem / Psyshock / filler??

Necrozma-DW has a matchup advantage against every anti-hazard Pokemon except for Defog Arceus-Dark and possibly Yveltal. Being part Ghost also enables it to block Rapid Spin (you might want to consider running more phys bulk to not get 2HKOed by Excadrill EQ maybe?), although that'd more relevant a few generations ago. Calm Mind makes it possible for Necrozma-DW to blast through bulkier threats such as Ho-Oh, Primal Kyogre, and various support Arceus formes. You probably won't get a lot of set up turns but it makes sure your opponent can't play passively. Last slot is kinda filler bc I don't really know what to put in there. Power Gem's your best bet at hitting Yveltal (and Ho-Oh w/o Z moving it) while Psyshock's for blobs I guess.

Additionally, Necrozma-DW has a positive matchup vs some bulky SR setters such as Primal Groudon, Dialga, and Arceus-Fairy. Hit X if you face a TTar though.

Oh as a bonus it checks Necrozma-Ultra to an extent

EVs are pretty arbitrary but I'm sure there's room to give it actual modifications

Some calcs:

252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Moongeist Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Giratina-O: 410-486 (92.9 - 110.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dialga: 414-487 (102.4 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Neutral: 354-417 (79.7 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (just CM. Also does roughly the same to max/max+ Primal Groudon)
252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 451-532 (114.4 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Celesteela: 391-462 (98.4 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Mega Sableye: 274-324 (90.1 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
(don't worry Foul Play doesn't OHKO you)
+1 252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ho-Oh: 424-501 (101.9 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

In other words if you don't have a Ghost resist this mon can probably set up rocks and punch holes. It can get hardcountered pretty easily with certain tools but otherwise you might actually have to respect it. That said its lack of a defensive typing will make it awkward to fit into teams.
Nice calculations on Necrozma - Dawn Wings! What tier in Ubers do you think Ultra Necrozma will be at? I think S tier!

Last edited:
Anyone has an idea of running special Dusk Mane to give your opponent a last minute surprise when Ultra Necrozma dishes out heavy special attacks?

Alright I've decided to be a masochist and attempt to work the loser of all this, Necrozma-DW. I guess you can use it to pass Moongeist onto Ultra, or fake a special set then Swords Dance + Ultra (you'd be really desperate to do this), but I'm gonna talk about the vanilla forme. Basically it has approximately two things over Lunala - Rock Polish and Stealth Rock. Rock Polish may be a tall order due to its lack of coverage and vulnerability to SSneak/Sucker, but Stealth Rock might get us somewhere...

Necrozma-DW @ Lunalium-Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind
- Moongeist Beam
- Power Gem / Psyshock / filler??

Necrozma-DW has a matchup advantage against every anti-hazard Pokemon except for Defog Arceus-Dark and possibly Yveltal. Being part Ghost also enables it to block Rapid Spin (you might want to consider running more phys bulk to not get 2HKOed by Excadrill EQ maybe?), although that'd more relevant a few generations ago. Calm Mind makes it possible for Necrozma-DW to blast through bulkier threats such as Ho-Oh, Primal Kyogre, and various support Arceus formes. You probably won't get a lot of set up turns but it makes sure your opponent can't play passively. Last slot is kinda filler bc I don't really know what to put in there. Power Gem's your best bet at hitting Yveltal (and Ho-Oh w/o Z moving it) while Psyshock's for blobs I guess.

Additionally, Necrozma-DW has a positive matchup vs some bulky SR setters such as Primal Groudon, Dialga, and Arceus-Fairy. Hit X if you face a TTar though.

Oh as a bonus it checks Necrozma-Ultra to an extent

EVs are pretty arbitrary but I'm sure there's room to give it actual modifications

Some calcs:

252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Moongeist Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Giratina-O: 410-486 (92.9 - 110.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dialga: 414-487 (102.4 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Neutral: 354-417 (79.7 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (just CM. Also does roughly the same to max/max+ Primal Groudon)
252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 451-532 (114.4 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Celesteela: 391-462 (98.4 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Mega Sableye: 274-324 (90.1 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
(don't worry Foul Play doesn't OHKO you)
+1 252+ SpA Necrozma-DW Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ho-Oh: 424-501 (101.9 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

In other words if you don't have a Ghost resist this mon can probably set up rocks and punch holes. It can get hardcountered pretty easily with certain tools but otherwise you might actually have to respect it. That said its lack of a defensive typing will make it awkward to fit into teams.
I don't think running a Z-crystal would worth on this thing given that there is a plethora of setups that would suggest you to mega nuke others with different wall breakers. But man this guy sure hits really hard (harder than UN with Moongeist because of STAB) and not much is going to survive a Z Moongeist without being badly hurt.

Actually I was thinking about how about investing more on endurance factors instead of speed? Thing has really poor speed that doesn't really outrun anyone noticeable in Ubers, but if you really wanna fight something speedy you still have rock polish to circumvent that, though you will be missing calm mind to be less killable.

Anyone has an idea of running special Dusk Mane to give your opponent a last minute surprise when Ultra Necrozma dishes out heavy special attacks?
Well, you can, but you will be missing Moongeist Beam as a really good coverage (it doesn't learn shadow ball somehow). You can surprise something like Yveltal trying to stomach a stone edge but then hit em with a particularly powerful power gem and/or hit Xerneas with flash cannon instead, but I can't think of anything very specific that would reward such a surprise setup.

Last edited:
Nice calculations on Necrozma - Dawn Wings! What tier in Ubers do you think Ultra Necrozma will be at? I think S tier!
S tier are for Pokemon that can run a phletora of sets and can literally fit on any teams while requiring little to no team support. These are Pokemons like Xerneas and Primal Groudon. From the looks of it, Ultra Necrozma would need to rely on team support to setup and even so it still lack the stab to 1HKO most mons in Uber. 167 attack stats without the capabilities to hold an item is kinda weak, another example of this is Mewtwo Y and X, both of which have higher attack stats then UN however still fails to KO majority of the tier even after a CM or BU boost. While heavy hitters like Pogre and Mlucario have abilities respectively to boost their stab. UN gets an ability which can boost super effective moves by 1.2x, furthermore Psychic/Dragon isn't exactly the best offensive typing. The only upside I can see about this thing is it can hold a Z crystal and unpredictability.

S tier are for Pokemon that can run a phletora of sets and can literally fit on any teams while requiring little to no team support. These are Pokemons like Xerneas and Primal Groudon. From the looks of it, Ultra Necrozma would need to rely on team support to setup and even so it still lack the stab to 1HKO most mons in Uber. 167 attack stats without the capabilities to hold an item is kinda weak, another example of this is Mewtwo Y and X, both of which have higher attack stats then UN however still fails to KO majority of the tier even after a CM or BU boost. While heavy hitters like Pogre and Mlucario have abilities respectively to boost their stab. UN gets an ability which can boost super effective moves by 1.2x, furthermore Psychic/Dragon isn't exactly the best offensive typing. The only upside I can see about this thing is it can hold a Z crystal and unpredictability.
Well it sure may be weakened by priority, and it's typing is not the greatest, but 167 attack and special stat total with 129 speed is pretty decent. Deoxys - Attack has 180 special attack and attack, as well as a speed of 150, but it just relies on focus sash too much. I think it has a potential to be S tier because once when it uses Swords Dance or Calm Mind, it could potentially sweep a team. It has a good move - pool as well and I can see it being used a lot in Ubers. I do think it has a potential for S tier in Ubers, we will see in the future.

If Ultra Necrozma got Draco Meteor then it would be a serious threat (still not S rank though). Without it Dragon Pulse doesn’t really OHKO anything. Uninvested Giratina-O has a high chance to live after Stealth Rock while an uninvested Draco Meteor OHKO’s it back.

Can we stop with the hyperbole? It'll be out in like a week.

That holds true for something like 70% of Ubers. And 70% of Ubers isn't in S.
Well when it comes out, I think these tiers are fine. B-, B, B+, A-, A, A+, or S. Okay, S may be an hyperbole but it is not below the B- tier. One of these tiers is fine. I know 70% of Ubers can sweep as well ( should have said something about it, but it is better than Mega Mewtwo X and Y because of many reasons, like it's good moves to check a lot of Uber pokemon, and a Z - Move that can harm very bulky pokemon. ). Mega Gengar my be it's worst counter, but it's speed stat of 129 and Photon Geyser is a really good move, it's stab and it changes into physical or special depending on what stat is better. Ultra Necrozma has a good move pool to check a lot of pokemon in Ubers. Sure Deoxys - Attack may have 180 special attack and 150 speed, but at least Ultra Necrozma isn't as vulnerable to priority moves as Deoxys - Attack is. It also has a powerful167 special attack and attack. Ultra Necrozma will never go into AG. The tiers above is fine. The only reason I could see it in B+ tier is if it rarely gets used in Ubers. I think I was over - hyping Ultra Necrozma, my bad.

Last edited:
I don’t know why the Draco Meteor move tutor can’t just teach the move to mons that have other forms that are Dragon type, like the aforementioned Ultra Necrozma (which is basically its truest form) and megas like Ampharos, Sceptile, and Charizard (imagine a Draco Meteor Mega Charizard Y for Zygarde and Latios).

If UN got Draco, a special set of Draco / Photon / Moongeist w/ CM would be pretty hard af to wall, and it could have been able to hit mons like Yveltal and Arceus-Dark with a reliably strong attack. What a shame :/

I will Just put this move set for DW Necrozma out there because it just ain't getting the love.

Dawn-Wings Necrozma Life Orb / Lunalium Z
Modest/Timid Nature
-Rock Polish
-Moongeist Beam
-Psyshock / Photon Geyser
- Signal Beam

Rock Polish, the obvious setup. Moongeist Beam, one of the most spammable moves ever and Dawn-Wings' most powerful move, especially with Lunalium Z. Psyshock for Ho-oh mainly, but otherwise, if you already have counters / Stealth Rock, then go with Photon Geyser. Signal Beam for Dark types

Last edited:
I rather have Flash Cannon over Signal Beam. You already have Moongeist Beam for Psychics and Signal Beam is neutral against the most common Dark type.

I think I might of overreacted about Ultra Necrozma, Toshiro46 is correct. The tiers for Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon have to develop first. Maybe it might end up in B+ or B tier, maybe A-. S was an overreaction. If rarely anyone uses it in Ubers, C+ or C for it. My opinions on it are changing a lot, huh? Hopefully it stays in the A tiers.

Last edited:
This seems to buff mega Gengar a lot, so I’m curious about how this will affect the other mega evolutions and the things they check. Maybe pursuit trappers will become more popular?

Honest opinion, I don’t think it’s actually useful to run Photon Geyser on every set for Ultra Necrozma because a Psychic Z Move is garbage considering the amount of Psychic types/walls/Yveltal that roam the tier and also because other Pokemon can benefit more from it than this (like any Arceus type).

Also, what's the problem with Outrage? It's spammable as hell and half the tier is Dragon type... sure you have to take care of Xerneas/Arceus-Fairy but I assume that every team is prepared for them, right? Hell, even Necrozma can take both down with Sunsteel Strike in Dusk Mane forme after SR.

252+ Atk Dusk Mane Necrozma Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Fairy: 354-416 (79.7 - 93.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Honest opinion, I don’t think it’s actually useful to run Photon Geyser on every set for Ultra Necrozma because a Psychic Z Move is garbage considering the amount of Psychic types/walls/Yveltal that roam the tier and also because other Pokemon can benefit more from it than this (like any Arceus type).

Also, what's the problem with Outrage? It's spammable as hell and half the tier is Dragon type... sure you have to take care of Xerneas/Arceus-Fairy but I assume that every team is prepared for them, right? Hell, even Necrozma can take both down with Sunsteel Strike in Dusk Mane forme after SR.

252 Atk Expert Belt Dusk Mane Necrozma Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Arceus-Fairy: 367-432 (82.6 - 97.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Why are you calcing dusk mane with an expert belt? Its ability is prism armor.

Why are you calcing dusk mane with an expert belt? Its ability is prism armor.
Because there's not an ability like Neuroforce to do the calcs.

Edit: I screwed but still it can OHKO with Adamant nature after SR without the Expert Belt calcs.

252+ Atk Dusk Mane Necrozma Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Fairy: 354-416 (79.7 - 93.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Expert Belt Dusk Mane Necrozma Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Arceus-Fairy: 367-432 (82.6 - 97.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
You don't have to use the Z-Move to change to UN. Otherwise, it's the strongest move it has that can take advantage of it's Psychic typing.

I can see some mind games being used with this seeing how it can run either a special or physical set. However yea, there are quite a few Checks and Counters; Choice Scarf Yvetal can switch in on Photon Geyser and revenge kill easily. Xerneas basically forces you to run Sunsteel Strike to take care of it, and that's assuming it's not a Choice Scarf. And Lugia can just tank everything it dishes out.

It's pretty damn scary after a boost though. The idea is that you boost while in DM form, and then change afterward.

+1 252 SpA Expert Belt Necrozma Flash Cannon vs. 72 HP / 100 SpD Xerneas: 348-410 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Expert Belt Necrozma Sunsteel Strike vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 658-775 (160 - 188.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Necrozma Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 260-306 (62.5 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Expert Belt Necrozma Sunsteel Strike vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tyranitar: 576-679 (142.9 - 168.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Expert Belt Necrozma Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 182-216 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO

It would be so much better with hazards, but that's going to be extremely difficult now with the advent of all these new Defogers. However, it still pretty damn hard regardless, so not many come in after SD/CM boost and live. And then there's the fact that you have to guess if it's a physical or special set.

Its funny how it might inadvertently make Pheramosa's usage go up though as it can revenge kill it easily.

Certainly not a game breaker, but it looks tough.

Why not run Photon Geyser (apart from specific reasons such as mind gaming)? It takes whatever the stronger attack is, is reliable in both output and accuracy, hence any form of Necrozma can easily abuse it, and doesn't have any stupid drawbacks such as unable to attack like Prismatic Laser nor have statuses such as outrage.
Unless you have other specific reasons that doesn't warrant Photon Geyser as a psychic coverage that thing still hurts (even thoug not like Mega Ray and Primals level of retarded), and strike your opponent by surprise something like Magearna and Xerneas will wall that hard and you will have to hand your fate to RNGesus after outrage. It would be much better if it has dragon Claw. Coverage against Yveltal and whatever counters it needs to face is important though, that I agree because psychic/dragon doesn't have the best synergy in the meta.

Wow, I can't believe it took me so long to realize that it's just a faster and stronger Latios lol.

The fact that it can't learn Draco Meteor is such a buzzkill though. It would be amazing if it had that.

And Lugia can just tank everything it dishes out.
One small catch:

252 SpA Expert Belt Latios Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lugia: 216-257 (51.9 - 61.7%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (with Latios's SpA set to 167)

You need to be in Dawn Wings form to begin with to do this, of course, so it's telegraphed from a mile away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)